User Tag List

First 123 Last

MBTI
    INTJ

Hello Cascademn and welcome!
    I am fairly new to the personality typing myself.
    I scored highest on INTJ and find that about 80% of the words you wrote describe me exactly.
    (My score was very close to INFJ, but a little closer to an INTJ).
    And I too am tired of the constant thinking going on in my head!
    One place where we differ is that while I adore new sights I dislike much travel.

My job is to use 3D modeling software to design mechanical products for laboratories.
    And I work with…….Engineers!
    While it can be very fun and creative at times. It is never quite perfect enough.

For me it is the introverted/creative side of me that creates a great deal of my problems.
    A book on the HSP (Highly Sensitive Person) helped me understand myself much more then the INTJ typing. However when visiting HSP web sites I seem to have found that the people there were much more sensitive in the feeling department then I most often am. Probable because it is easier for a man to not feel.

Anyway I hope you can find some solace in the fact that others of us have some of the same characteristics that you have detailed. You are not alone!

Enneagram
    4 so/sp

HI! Thank you so much for the nice message; as much as I hate to admit it, I find I need a fair amount of affirmation, otherwise I do feel fairly isolated and 'different' from everyone else.

Yes, I would be the highly sensitive person.

I didn't really want to divulge too much in my initial post (haha..I feel I wrote too much already!), but in my early-mid 20's, when I would take the mbti online tests, I'd nearly always test out as INTJ.

Oh, I have a number of personal theories regarding myself, my personality, my 'evolution', with a bunch of defense mechanisms thrown in...haha (it's easiest to cover up a highly sensitive personality and very feeling one by putting up walls, desensitizing yourself, forcefully becoming 'tough', and in turn becoming critical of others, no?) Well, I believe I did that to an extent, and I became quite..bitter..as a result.

Who knows! Tis why I started the whole intro by saying I'm not positive!! Bottom line, I do believe I have a pretty well-developed F, if I was born T, or a well-developed T, if I was born F.

BUT...forgetting about the tests...when I read all of the descriptive blurbs on the internet, I relate to very little about the INTJ descriptions, except maybe the part about disliking smalltalk. :-) Although I believe I have a lot of the same abilities/skills as the INTJ...it's just the whole...motivation behind doing things?...that doesn't really speak to me as much. Also, I can't identify terribly well to the *delivery*/tone of many of the T posters. Not a judgement at all...just a difference I notice. The INFJ profile speaks quite a lot more to me at this point in my life.

PS - 3D modeling software?? Oy. I'd really stink at that job. :-) Calc. of several variables was my worst math class in college. I got a C. My mind just didn't grasp the 3d graphing. Differential Equations, on the other hand....got an A, baby!!

PPS - INTJMom - I definitely can identify with large chunks of the INFP descriptions. Who knows, like I said I'm open to whatever. But I'd be really skeptical of basing myself as a 'P', solely on one little quirk of mine. ;-)

MBTI
    INTJ

Welcome. Nice to meet you.
    We are not poets
    We have no right to make amendments

MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by cascademn View Post
    ...PPS - INTJMom - I definitely can identify with large chunks of the INFP descriptions. Who knows, like I said I'm open to whatever. But I'd be really skeptical of basing myself as a 'P', solely on one little quirk of mine. ;-)
    I agree with you.

Senior Member TenebrousReflection's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFp
    Enneagram
    4w5 sx/sp

HI! Thank you so much for the nice message; as much as I hate to admit it, I find I need a fair amount of affirmation, otherwise I do feel fairly isolated and 'different' from everyone else.

Yes, I would be the highly sensitive person.

I didn't really want to divulge too much in my initial post (haha..I feel I wrote too much already!), but in my early-mid 20's, when I would take the mbti online tests, I'd nearly always test out as INTJ.

Oh, I have a number of personal theories regarding myself, my personality, my 'evolution', with a bunch of defense mechanisms thrown in...haha (it's easiest to cover up a highly sensitive personality and very feeling one by putting up walls, desensitizing yourself, forcefully becoming 'tough', and in turn becoming critical of others, no?) Well, I believe I did that to an extent, and I became quite..bitter..as a result.

Who knows! Tis why I started the whole intro by saying I'm not positive!! Bottom line, I do believe I have a pretty well-developed F, if I was born T, or a well-developed T, if I was born F.
    Still a newbie here as well, but Welcome!

I have similar uncertainties to those (and also see a lot of myself in your initial list). For a long time, I just took the tests, and thought I was INxJ because I saw enough of me in both those descriptions that I didn't really question it til earlier this year. Since then, I have done a lot of reading and research and now that I think I understand type a bit more, I have adopted different ways to try to analyze myself and make a (hopefully) more accurate determination.

I think a lot of my initial findings (and belief in them) were a result of adapting to society by living life as an INTx. I think the biggest differences between borderline T/Fs is what our true values and motivations are. We can act as either and probably be reasonably comfortable in either role, but when it comes down to it, the core values and desires should help determine the true self (and for me, I'm either strongly NF, or an NT in serious denial).

At present moment, my theory is that I am probably an INFP that developed more like an INTJ or INTP to adapt to my environment, and only over time have I begun to recognize that I've been fighting/suppressing what I should be.

The other theory would be that maybe I really am an INTP (or J), but I've been perpetually "in the grip" living through my inferior function for over half my life to the point where its more developed than my dominant T functions.

And I'm still not completely certain that I'm not INFJ, but I've gone from thinking I was, to thinking that its the least probable "true type" for me of the four.

BUT...forgetting about the tests...when I read all of the descriptive blurbs on the internet, I relate to very little about the INTJ descriptions, except maybe the part about disliking smalltalk. :-) Although I believe I have a lot of the same abilities/skills as the INTJ...it's just the whole...motivation behind doing things?...that doesn't really speak to me as much. Also, I can't identify terribly well to the *delivery*/tone of many of the T posters. Not a judgement at all...just a difference I notice. The INFJ profile speaks quite a lot more to me at this point in my life.
    If I'm not mistaken, I believe "smalltalk" to be the domain of sensing types, so I'd expect nearly all xNxx will have some degree of dislike for it. (are there any N types out there that actually like smalltalk?)

There are a lot of descriptions out there and I've found some that seem questionable at best. You probably have already done so, but I recommend finding a profile written by someone of that type and seeing how well you think it fits and also doing the same for other types you think you might be (even if its a very small chance, for instance, I even considered ISFJ as a possibility at one point as I found a profile where the first paragraph felt like a perfect fit, but the rest of it I felt like the opposite of me)

For me, its been roughly this order that I relate to the posts of certain types I've read here.

INTP - their posts make sense to me and seem to think and reason a lot like me.

INFP - I agree with most of the points they are making and in some cases see myself in their words, but a few of them seem very different than me (but it makes sense that xNxPs would have a lot of diversity among their types)

INFJ and INTJ - Both make well reasoned posts, it just feels like they are both thinking differently enough from me to be noticable.

ENxx - Clearly think differently than me, interestign to read their posts tho.

anything esle - Only seen a few posts from S types, so I can't really judge there yet.

PS - 3D modeling software?? Oy. I'd really stink at that job. :-) Calc. of several variables was my worst math class in college. I got a C. My mind just didn't grasp the 3d graphing. Differential Equations, on the other hand....got an A, baby!!
    I've kinda wondered is mathametical aptitudes have anything to do with type and/or favored cognitive processes...

I did well in and enjoyed 3D modeling, 3D geometry, and Statics/Vectors yet the more basic courses leading upto them (algebra, geomety and trig) did not come so easily nor were they as enjoyable (never took Calc or Physics). If those type of classes represent Extraverted Intuition, then that would help backup my belief that I'm probably INFP.

Enneagram
    4 so/sp

Hi TenebrousReflection! Thanks for your thoughts/input. And thanks to all the others who chimed in to say 'Welcome'!

More stuff for me to muse on...I suppose there's a lot I DON'T know about mbti. Even though I feel I know a lot of the generalities, and some of the details, I don't know much about the Ni/Fe/Si/etc details.

Also, anytime you go into the psychology of yourself...whoa, that gets confusing very quickly. ;-) I automatically do it, all of the time, even though I cringe while doing it..I just can't help myself.

Yep, certainly there are more avenues of it I can explore.

MBTI
    INTJ

The math required is at the simplest level. One really only needs the ability to envision shape inside ones head.

On another subject. Most of us round out as we go through life. Certainly if we are on any self growth quest we will not match the TJ as much, as we become more aware of the deep value of others.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

Hi -

Warning: Probably the longest intro ever. Sorry, I tend to write a lot.

I have typed myself as INFJ, as at the moment it seems like the best fit for me; however, I'm constantly questioning this, and while I'm extremely interested in psychology and type-theory (obviously...that's why I find myself on this site!), at the same time it causes me quite a bit of internal stress. I'm trying to figure out why I get stressed out by the fact that I'm not certain about my type (because logically it shouldn't matter at all). I guess I like the idea of fitting into a 'type'?
    Hello, cascademn. Welcome to MBTI Central. You're an INFJ? Hmm... I can relate to much of what you said, except for appearing confident and wanting to live in the moment. If anything, I sort of like having a more long-range kind of thought. Living in the moment seems a little careless. Usually when I feel tired or worn, I wish everything would cease to exist for a moment, just so I could have some peace. The idea of void/nothingness seems tranquil to me, at least for a while... although I would probably miss thinking about things again eventually.

MBTI
    INTJ

More stuff for me to muse on...I suppose there's a lot I DON'T know about mbti. Even though I feel I know a lot of the generalities, and some of the details, I don't know much about the Ni/Fe/Si/etc details.
    Welcome.

The Ni/Fe/Si/etc refers to "functional analysis" or "type dynamics". It is how the different combinations of letters interact with each other. For instance...

(Anyone feel free to chime in if I don't get this quite right)
    INFJ = dominant "Introverted Intuition" (Ni) + Secondary "Extroverted Feeling" (Fe) + Tertiary "Introverted Thinking" (Ti)
    (Ni) - This means that the primary characteristic of the INFJ is that they see the world in terms of abstract or imaginative realms of expression. When relating to the world, they prefer to think and feel in terms of metaphor and the subtleties which only exist beyond the facades which people wear. Thus, this is why many INFJs are said to be highly 'empathic'.
    (Fe) - This means that INFJs tend to be very expressive types. Sometimes this means an emotionally bubbly person, and other times it simply means someone who is not afraid to express their strongly felt opinions on life. It can also mean that they tend to inadvertently expose their emotions, resulting in being very sensitive people.
    (Ti) - This means that over time INFJs can contemplate things very deeply. When they have time alone to think about themselves and the world around them, they can often make sense of things by carefully putting together their experiences and measuring them against their values. In this way, INFJs can sometimes appear to be quite rational.

In contrast to INTJ...
    (Ni) - INTJs share introverted intuition as their dominant function. Thus, INTJs and INFJs can seem earily similar at times. Both types deal with abstract and imaginative ways of looking at the world. However, INTJs think in terms of models and how they can understand and predict the systems which exist around them. Thus, INTJs are often led to technical careers involving complex systems or problems which are difficult to solve.
    (Te) - INTJs are thinkers instead of feelers. This often means that they "think out loud". Extroverted Thinking is a workhorse for introverted intuition in that it serves as the collaborator between the real world and the intricate internal models of the INTJ. In the case of INTJs with very intricate models built up over time, Te can make them seem highly intellectual and often even extroverted in discussions about subjects in which they are familiar.
    (Fi) - However, when alone, INTJs can exhibit introverted Feeling. Thus, in many cases, INTJs can be closet romantics (look at Mr. Darcy!). Despite the cold, unfeeling intellectualism of Ni+Te, introverted Feeling provides the ability to process the irrational. In ways, it can be like Lt. Cmdr Data activating his 'emotional coprocessor'. It is also that sentimental element which I believe allowed CS Lewis to write the charming Chronicles of Narnia. The emotions of the INTJ may be slow ('phlegmatic') and require private contemplation, but they are there and can be very strong.

Enneagram
    4 so/sp

Apollonian - Thanks for the summary on INFJ/INTJ! I need to think more on this, but taking my whole life into account, the INFJ does jive better, although I also think I've definitely taken on more of an INTJ persona at times, for various reasons.

Just a funny story - there was a 'career development' thing at my company yesterday, and typically I go into those things very skeptically, prepared to roll my eyes the entire time, but I still went, because a coworker had good things to say about the speaker - that he didn't speak corporate-talk (and corporate talk/sales-talk annoys me). So I went, and he spent pretty much the entire time not talking directly about careers per se, but instead about self-awareness, and setting a goal of tracking your emotions/thoughts 6 times a day, and he guaranteed once you got into that habit and became more aware of yourself, and then aligned your life with your values, other aspects of your life would fall into place, and you'd interact better with others, etc. I totally agreed with everything he was saying, but at the same time was chuckling inside at everyone in the room taking notes....I'm like...I do this stuff every day!!! I think this stuff every day!! I could have written a book and made money off of my musings??? Dangit! Other people are making money off of stuff I think about! ;-) I felt he was an **action-oriented**, public-speaking version of me. I went up afterwards out of curiousity and asked him what he thought of mbti...he thought it was useful, and said he was an ENFJ. hehehe.

Athenian - I think both the external confidence, as well as desiring to live in the moment, has come over time. In high school I had zero external confidence, and zero internal confidence. In college, I pretended I was externally confident, but inside still had little. So, I sort of acted. ( The external confidence is more something I do, just because it makes interacting with the world, as it is, more positive - and let's face it, people tend to be drawn to confident people; people tend to shy away from less confident, unhappier people). Since college (I'm now 29), it's been a slow process, but my internal confidence has slowly increased over time, so that I am becoming more truly confident - for real. It'll *never* be 100% there, every single day, but in general, I have more 'confident days' now than I used to.

As for living in the moment, that is a desired goal. I think I fail miserably quite a lot, just because I end up being stuck in my brain, like I am now, and whenever I am posting on a web forum. ;-) I end up tangenting off and thinking about life generalities, and longterm stuff, and whatever. But I think it's more something I'm trying to back away from a bit -- because if I introvert too much (I term it the 'spiral of death', haha), I can become...too serious/brooding/depressed/anxiety-ridden. But this tendency could totally be outside of mbti, and simply an individual thing. I highly doubt ALL IN's find the 'alone with your thoughts' thing unpleasant, in fact it seems many enjoy it, and prefer it. (it isn't always that way with me, just my pattern of thoughts has a tendency to spiral down in that direction, if I'm not careful)

I guess in summary, I want to try to live more in the moment, because I think just thinking about stuff all of the time, without interacating and experiencing things, will be a wasted life for me. And, I get much *pleasure* and *happiness* doing things like traveling, and playing board games, and actually DOING things. But yeah, given my nature, I'll always head back into my brain. I just get..rather...tired of myself sometimes. I want a well-rounded life, I guess. :-)