User Tag List

First 123 Last

Results 11 to 20 of 21

Thread: ISTP/INTP?

  1. #11
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    MBTI
    STP
    Posts
    10,501

    Default

    Flying sounds kinda boring to me, unless you get one of them there trick airplanes and do loops and barrel rolls, fly through corn fields.

    edit: I have a jet ski instead of a motorcycle because when you fly off a jet ski at 50MPH you can get back on and try it again.

  2. #12
    Controlled Mischief StephMC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    9w8 sp/sx
    Socionics
    ISTp
    Posts
    1,054

    Default

    Well I can't say that this is universal for INTPs vs. ISTPs, but I've spent a long time trying to figure out the difference between me and my INTP ex.

    - I care about quality food more than he does. I like fine wine and the sensation of great food. He has two taste budes: "Good" and "Awful, but I'll eat it."

    - We like the same things, but we focus on different aspects. Like if we're putting together a puzzle... He wants to figure out a super efficient way to do it, but I just like the process.

    - When we talk, I try to paint a picture for other people. I give comparisons, examples (like now), and relate other stories. I have concrete language. I want to get the "essence" of what I'm trying to communicate. While an INTP is focusing on precision like I am, they have more abstract language. And they may go into more depth.

    - I focus on peoples' motives more than he does. I'll be like "Dude. That girl is so trying to get into Richard's pants." My ex: *Shrug*. He just has absolutely no interest, unless it involves him.

    I'm sure I had more examples... Hm... I'll get back to you if I think of anymore. Bottom line: ITPs rock no matter what. Oh, and welcome
    I have an inner monologue that sounds strikingly similar to something off Animal Planet.

  3. #13
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    MBTI
    STP
    Posts
    10,501

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by StephMC939 View Post
    Well I can't say that this is universal for INTPs vs. ISTPs, but I've spent a long time trying to figure out the difference between me and my INTP ex.

    - I care about quality food more than he does. I like fine wine and the sensation of great food. He has two taste budes: "Good" and "Awful, but I'll eat it."

    - We like the same things, but we focus on different aspects. Like if we're putting together a puzzle... He wants to figure out a super efficient way to do it, but I just like the process.

    - When we talk, I try to paint a picture for other people. I give comparisons, examples (like now), and relate other stories. I have concrete language. I want to get the "essence" of what I'm trying to communicate. While an INTP is focusing on precision like I am, they have more abstract language. And they may go into more depth.

    - I focus on peoples' motives more than he does. I'll be like "Dude. That girl is so trying to get into Richard's pants." My ex: *Shrug*. He just has absolutely no interest, unless it involves him.

    I'm sure I had more examples... Hm... I'll get back to you if I think of anymore. Bottom line: ITPs rock no matter what. Oh, and welcome
    I spent alot of time on INTPc for a while and we really are similiar, but I do tend to use examples and other real life things, where they tend to use an abstract idea to flesh out the depth. We tend to start to bicker when I try to take my examples to far abstract because it is based on a situation or when they take there abstract to reality and I can come up with a million situations where it doesnt hold up. Sometimes we meet in the middle.

  4. #14
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Posts
    19

    Default

    Thanks for all the welcomes!
    I am still not sure which I am. I read somewhere that a sensor may see a bowl of oranges and would take note of how they felt, looked, smelled, maybe noticed the bowl and an intuitive would look at the oranges and then think "florida", and then think about the beach, and then remember that episode of Seinfeld where Kramer came up with the idea about the cologne, etc etc. I definitely do that, jumps from one thing to another (maybe that is the patterns talk I keep hearing, I don't know). Often in the middle of a discussion I will try to expand on an aspect of what I am talking about and end up on a totally different subject before realizing it. So I don't know. I get along really well with an INTP (based on the latest facebook one) at work and we seem to be on the same wavelength.

  5. #15
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Posts
    19

    Default

    Checking in...... still think I am an ISTP

  6. #16
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sx/so
    Socionics
    Will
    Posts
    5,927

    Default

    Oh great don't even get me started with the ISTP INTP paradox. I think most people who aren't sure are probably ISTP since Ns are more rare and also if you show the slightest glimmer of insight people will pounce on it and say oh look you are an INTP because an ISTP is too stupid to say something like that. Anyway I'm the Mad Theorist of the forum and I am typed by many as ISTP so don't assume you are INTP just because you have some theories. Really it should depend on what kind of vibe you are giving off. Anyway if you aks me I think you are ISTP so congragulations you opened your present so party time is over!

  7. #17
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    MBTI
    STP
    Posts
    10,501

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by RaptorWizard View Post
    Oh great don't even get me started with the ISTP INTP paradox. I think most people who aren't sure are probably ISTP since Ns are more rare and also if you show the slightest glimmer of insight people will pounce on it and say oh look you are an INTP because an ISTP is too stupid to say something like that. Anyway I'm the Mad Theorist of the forum and I am typed by many as ISTP so don't assume you are INTP just because you have some theories. Really it should depend on what kind of vibe you are giving off. Anyway if you aks me I think you are ISTP so congragulations you opened your present so party time is over!
    Ns arent more rare. Out of the people I work with 5 are N's and 3 are S's. Out of the people I am around outside of work most are Ns and a few are Ss. Anyone with a brain wouldnt base type on how smart a person is...obviously this isnt an attack at you just a statement...I am not on here enough these days to really get to know anyone these days and havnt been for a while.

    S is to Dumb...I mean physically superior as N is to Head case...I mean mentally intelligent

    On a side note, I think that INTP fit you better.
    Im out, its been fun

  8. #18
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    MBTI
    STP
    Posts
    10,501

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by RaptorWizard View Post
    Oh great don't even get me started with the ISTP INTP paradox. I think most people who aren't sure are probably ISTP since Ns are more rare and also if you show the slightest glimmer of insight people will pounce on it and say oh look you are an INTP because an ISTP is too stupid to say something like that. Anyway I'm the Mad Theorist of the forum and I am typed by many as ISTP so don't assume you are INTP just because you have some theories. Really it should depend on what kind of vibe you are giving off. Anyway if you aks me I think you are ISTP so congragulations you opened your present so party time is over!
    Ns arent more rare. Out of the people I work with 5 are N's and 3 are S's. Out of the people I am around outside of work most are Ns and a few are Ss. Anyone with a brain wouldnt base type on how smart a person is...obviously this isnt an attack at you just a statement...I am not on here enough these days to really get to know anyone these days and havnt been for a while.

    S is to Dumb...I mean physically superior as N is to Head case...I mean mentally intelligent

    On a side note, I think that INTP fit you better.
    Im out, its been fun

  9. #19
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sx/so
    Socionics
    Will
    Posts
    5,927

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by _Poki_ View Post
    On a side note, I think that INTP fit you better.
    My attempts to convince the whole of the forum that this is the case have been futile so inevitably no matter what type I claim to be someone will disagree though I am inclined to think you are right about this. I am sure this disagreement on typing is a problem that not only I have but is also a universal problem on the forum with most members.

  10. #20
    philosopher wood nymph greenfairy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    MBTI
    iNfj
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp
    Posts
    4,042

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by RaptorWizard View Post
    My attempts to convince the whole of the forum that this is the case have been futile so inevitably no matter what type I claim to be someone will disagree though I am inclined to think you are right about this. I am sure this disagreement on typing is a problem that not only I have but is also a universal problem on the forum with most members.
    Glad it's not just me. I say you can be whatever you want and say you are whatever you think is true, but I'm in the minority.

    @OP: Yes, from what you say you sound more S to me.

    And no, S's aren't stupid; my dad is ISTJ and he almost had a PhD in math, and 2 of my best friends are ESTJ and ISTP, and they're both super smart. S's just like to focus on things which can be applied in practical ways, and data related to tangible things; whereas N's like ideas just so they have something to think about.

Similar Threads

  1. What type am I ISTP /INTP/INFP???
    By Tish211 in forum What's my Type?
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 08-03-2012, 11:18 AM
  2. [MBTItm] ISTP - INTP romance... can it work?
    By windchill in forum The SP Arthouse (ESFP, ISFP, ESTP, ISTP)
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 01-17-2011, 02:36 PM
  3. [MBTItm] ISTP/INTP interactions...
    By MDP2525 in forum The SP Arthouse (ESFP, ISFP, ESTP, ISTP)
    Replies: 37
    Last Post: 06-27-2009, 09:51 AM
  4. [MBTItm] ISTP/INTP girls + INFJ men relationship
    By lorkan in forum The NF Idyllic (ENFP, INFP, ENFJ, INFJ)
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 06-24-2009, 08:56 PM
  5. ISTPs, INTPs and "Words of Affirmation"
    By Sunshine in forum Myers-Briggs and Jungian Cognitive Functions
    Replies: 30
    Last Post: 11-05-2008, 03:01 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO