User Tag List

12 Last

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram

Default ENTP - Greetings and Salutations

Hello there all.

I am a media/marketing/jack of all trades who has the classic ENTP Career ADD moving from position to position as opportunity presents itself.

15 years - probably 20 jobs and at least 5 industries. Whew. Currently building/running websites for a company that really values innovation - awesome.

Anyway - my lovely bride (ENFJ) just took a Meyers Briggs personality profile. It occurred to me that I had to work to use that data to better support her happiness. As the whole FJ thing bedfuddles me, I am hoping to observe some ENFj's in the "wild" here and learn more about my own potential errors and problems as an approaching mid-life ENTP. Think of this like Gorillas in the Mist. Oooh does that make me Jane Goodall?

Last edited by TheShadowKnows; 08-12-2009 at 12:48 PM. Reason: edited for typo - ENFJ not ENFP

Quote Originally Posted by TheShadowKnows View Post
    Hello there all.

I am a media/marketing/jack of all trades who has the classic ENTP Career ADD moving from position to position as opportunity presents itself.

15 years - probably 20 jobs and at least 5 industries. Whew. Currently building/running websites for a company that really values innovation - awesome.
    20 jobs in 15 years but only one wife?
    Welcome Shadow.

--Jag

Patron Saint Of Smileys Gloriana's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    6w5
    Socionics
    INFJ

Hello there all.

Anyway - my lovely bride (ENFJ) just took a Meyers Briggs personality profile. It occurred to me that I had to work to use that data to better support her happiness. As the whole FJ thing bedfuddles me, I am hoping to observe some ENFP's in the "wild" here and learn more about my own potential errors and problems as an approaching mid-life ENTP. Think of this like Gorillas in the Mist. Oooh does that make me Jane Goodall?

Welcome! I think it's great you're here to better connect with your lady! I think you'll find a lot of helpful stuff here on that front
    "Nobody in life gets exactly what they thought they were going to get, but if you work really hard, and you're kind, amazing things will happen. I'm telling you...amazing things will happen" --Conan O'Brien

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5 sp/sx

Hi Shades, You've got yourself a good ol' relations of Benefit according to Socionics (please note that Socionics is NOT the same as MBTI and does not fully translate). Does that mean anything to you?

I recently typed a friend as ENFJ after talking to her for a few hours. She was super dramatic about some things and thought she was crazy, not to mention she's clinging to a controlling boyfriend, and I don't know how to convince her to stop because she's made some kind of promises to be with him... people are strange creatures o.O
    5 3 9

It would be great to get insight into the personal growth of mid-life ENTPs, and the development arch until then. Looking forward to your thoughts.

Btw:
    As the whole FJ thing bedfuddles me, I am hoping to observe some ENFP's in the "wild" here and learn more about my own potential errors and problems as an approaching mid-life ENTP.
    ENFP? Huh? You mean ENTP? Or, ENFJ?

Think of this like Gorillas in the Mist. Oooh does that make me Jane Goodall?
    Why not one of the gorillas? With that, WELCOME to the eternal fog; join us.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    EII

Ummm...welcome

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram

Whoops better clarify - ENFJ- the P is simply my typo.

As for the relations of benefit - socionics is new to me - I'll have to read more. I do know that as our relationship has progressed (some 18 years total now) we have had to work to evolve.

According to the short summary you linked I was very often the Benefactor. We have been diligently working towards a more equal partnership focus. Like all relationships, it is of course complicated by many other factors than simple personality traits.

I do find it interesting that at one point we really considered splitting up - not for lack of love or care or attraction. But, because we did not see our life's goals and paths meshing very well.

The exercise we used to overcome this challenge appeals to my more analytical/strategic side but might be of interest to some of you.

Step # 1 We each sat down and wrote out a bullet point list of the things we thought would need individually to be "happy". This included career choices, family size, personal goals, where to live, types of individual pursuits and accomplishments. The goal was several options for each category.

Step # 2 - We traded lists and the other person crossed out anything that absolutely did not mesh with their own happiness. (e.g. my wife loves the big city and I feel boxed in like an animal in the slaughterhouse chute in such places.)

Step # 3 - we traded back to our own lists and highlighted our preferences from the remaining options.

Step # 4 - we created a combined list of the preferred options with the goal of maximizing both lists number of preferred options and finding compromise on the remainder where possible.

Step # 5 - We set action points for how to make that master list happen.

Of course as an ENTP I did not move to this analytical process until the stress of the situation got so high that my usual MO of adapt and innovate on the fly just didn't seem to be working.

But in the end, it seemed to work pretty well.

As I said in my earlier post, I worry about my own drive for novelty as I get older (early 30's now). I can always sense a pressure building to change, move, hit the open road, accomplish something new. Those lists seem very concrete to me and let's face it - I'm really not good with concrete.

MBTI
    INxJ

Sounds about right. Welcome.

MBTI
    entp
    Enneagram

Welcome
    [URL]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tEBvftJUwDw&t=0s[/URL]

MBTI
    ENTP

Welcome, you sound like an interesting fellow
    The probability that I was procrastinating when I was typing this post:

P(have big assignment due) = 0.6
    P(posting on TypoC) = 0.2
    P(having big assignment due | posting on TypoC) = 0.7

P(posting on TypoC | having big assignment due) = .......

Eh, I'll finish it later.