User Tag List

123 Last

Senior Member TenebrousReflection's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFp
    Enneagram
    4w5 sx/sp

Default Greetings of an INxx (trying to figure out what I am)

Greetings.

I had first discovered Jungian type theory sometime in the mid to late 90s and found it interesting but never explored it much beyond the information that was available on-line back then (not much back then). Over the last half year or so, I had noticed that I was acting less and less like myself (or at least who I percieved myself to be) but just took it for stress making me do strange things. Somewhere in that time, I stumbled across a recommendation for the book "Was That Realy Me" by Naomi L. Quenk and decided to order it along with Please Understand me II by David Kiersey. Until I had read those books, I believed myself to be an INxJ but after reading parts of each of them, I now realize how little I knew and how badly I was misuing type theory. Understanding how I/E and J/P actualy work and affect N/S and F/T has caused me to question weather I actually have a J or P preference as well as continuing to be uncertain of F/T. So even though I know and understand a lot more about temperament and type now than I did a month or so ago and I'm actually less certain of what I am now than I was before.

A week or so ago, I was doing some googling to try to find more information to help me figure out what I am and came across the site INFJ or INFP? a closer look which had a ton of information and I learned a lot of new things and gained a better unsderstanding of some of the concepts that were new to me from the books. I still have a lot of uncertainty about my type, but think observing and interacting with communities that identify themselves clearly as specific types may give me a better idea of which I best identify with which is what has brought me here.

The username I chose is TenebrousReflection. I was going to go with FragmentedReflection to symbolize feeling like the reflection I see when I look in the mirror is not whole and I'm trying to put the pieces back together and see what I realy am. That name was taken so I visited the thesaurus and found a word that sounded good and still had a similar spirit to it even though its a lot darker in connotation. I can be dark and gloomy a lot of the time, but I try to be optimistic too - an optimistic cynic if that doesnt seem like too much of a paradox.

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Anyone who even considers using the word "tenebrous" in their username is welcome in this forum.

An optimistic cynic is full of caliginous brilliance.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

Quote Originally Posted by TenebrousReflection View Post
    Greetings.

I had first discovered Jungian type theory sometime in the mid to late 90s and found it interesting but never explored it much beyond the information that was available on-line back then (not much back then). Over the last half year or so, I had noticed that I was acting less and less like myself (or at least who I percieved myself to be) but just took it for stress making me do strange things. Somewhere in that time, I stumbled across a recommendation for the book "Was That Realy Me" by Naomi L. Quenk and decided to order it along with Please Understand me II by David Kiersey. Until I had read those books, I believed myself to be an INxJ but after reading parts of each of them, I now realize how little I knew and how badly I was misuing type theory. Understanding how I/E and J/P actualy work and affect N/S and F/T has caused me to question weather I actually have a J or P preference as well as continuing to be uncertain of F/T. So even though I know and understand a lot more about temperament and type now than I did a month or so ago and I'm actually less certain of what I am now than I was before.

A week or so ago, I was doing some googling to try to find more information to help me figure out what I am and came across the site INFJ or INFP? a closer look which had a ton of information and I learned a lot of new things and gained a better unsderstandingof some of the concepts that were new to me from the books. I still have a lot of uncertainty about my type, but think observing and interacting with communities that identify themselves clearly as specific types may give me a better idea of which I best identify with which is what has brought me here.

The username I chose is TenebrousReflection. I was going to go with FragmentedReflection to symbolize feeling like the reflection I see when I look in the mirror is not whole and I'm trying to put the pieces back together and see what I realy am. That name was taken so I visited the thesaurus and found a word that sounded good and still had a similar spirit to it even though its a lot darker in connotation. I can be dark and gloomy a lot of the time, but I try to be optimistic too - an optimistic cynic if that doesnt seem like too much of a paradox.
    Hello, TenebrousReflection. Welcome to MBTI Central.

You remind me of myself, only your vocabulary is apparently far vaster than mine.

I can relate to your feelings rather well. It took me a long time to identify my type, and while I'm not completely sure, INFJ seems to fit me better than anything else. I was always sure of the I__J part, pretty sure of the N, but the T/F still has me a little confused occasionally, but I feel more like an F because of what I want for myself and others, and my expressiveness.

Type is never an exact match, as the theory doesn't accurately reflect all the complexity of reality... but I'm trying to remedy that situation as far as is possible for me, given my current level of knowledge and insight.

You might be a walking lexicon, but your spelling and grammar leave something to be critiqued.

1. You left the apostrophe out of "90's."

2. You misspelled "perceived." (I before E, except after C.)

3. You misspelled "Really." (It has two L's.)

4. You misspelled "Keirsey." (Transposed the I and E.)

5. You misspelled "misusing." (Omitted the second S.)

6. You misspelled "actually." (It has two L's.)

7. You committed a homophonic error, you should have used "whether," not "weather."

8. The correct term is "searching," or "performing a search on Google." Google is a trademarked name, and its use in that manner is not only slang, but is also officially discouraged by the corporation.

9. You misspelled "understanding." (Superfluous S.)

10. You should have used "who." (You are a person, not an inanimate object.)

11. You repeated error 3.

12. You used "its" instead of "it's." (Its implies possession, It's is a contraction meaning "it is.")

13. You left the apostrophe out of "doesn't."

It's always something... PuddleRiver's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    5w6

Welcome to the forum! Glad you're here.

*looks carefully at post to see if grammer and spelling are acceptable, then I figured...screw that.*

:rolli:
    "In the depth of winter, I finally learned that within me there lay one invincible summer."
    ~~~~
    A Christian's life may be the only Bible some people ever read.
    ~~~~
    "The first time someone shows you who they are, believe them" Maya Angelou.
    ~~~~
    I like your Christ. I do not like your Christians. Your Christians are so unlike your Christ" Gandhi
    ~~~~

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by athenian200 View Post

You remind me of myself, only your vocabulary is apparently far vaster than mine.

I can relate to your feelings rather well. It took me a long time to identify my type, and while I'm not completely sure, INFJ seems to fit me better than anything else. I was always sure of the I__J part, pretty sure of the N, but the T/F still has me a little confused occasionally, but I feel more like an F because of what I want for myself and others, and my expressiveness.

Type is never an exact match, as the theory doesn't accurately reflect all the complexity of reality... but I'm trying to remedy that situation as far as is possible for me, given my current level of knowledge and insight.

You might be a walking lexicon, but your spelling and grammar leave something to be critiqued.

7. You committed a homophonic error, you should have used "whether," not "weather."

8. The correct term is "searching," or "performing a search on Google." Google is a trademarked name, and its use in that manner is not only slang, but is also officially discouraged by the corporation.

12. You used "its" instead of "it's." (Its implies possession, It's is a contraction meaning "it is.")

you are the biggest J I have ever met online.
    sheesh
    *You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body.
    *Faith is the art of holding on to things your reason once accepted, despite your changing moods.
    C.S. Lewis

Senior Member TenebrousReflection's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFp
    Enneagram
    4w5 sx/sp

I'm pretty sure I'm INF_ but I don't want to completely rule out INT_ just yet.

Yes, my grammar certainly leaves something to be desired and my spelling can be lacking at times too. I could go back and edit, but I'll keep it as it with errors for this one.

The spelling and typos, thats just laziness in not spell checking/proofreading, but the grammar stuff is something I've actually been making a conscious effort to work on recently (vocabulary comes naturally to me, grammar does not), so I do appreciate the feedback there. When I misspell a proper name or place, or make a typo, spelling error or grammar error that changes the meaning of what I wrote, those are the cases that bother me.

Error of ignorance on my part.

I get that one wrong about half the time I think. If I proofread (which I didn't that time) I usually catch that one.

Another common error I make, I'm a bit less likely to catch the double l stuff on a proofread tho. (I know use of tho probably isn't proper either )

Ok, that one is just plain embarrassing to have missed.

Ya, I caught that one pretty much as soon as I posted, but didn't want to go edit it right away.

See 3.

Eww, ick, thats another bad embarrassing one. That and the Kiersey are the type of errors I usually go back and edit when I catch them.

Yes, as is the term xeroxing, but both are common use and understood. If I were using a search engine other than google and using it as a verb then I could see the reason for it being poor usage (for instance I'd only use xerox as a verb if the photocopier in question was that brand), but as is, its just a more descriptive way to say searching and include the specific search engine all in one word. To me "googling" just sounds right compared to the alternatives to say the same thing (which to me sound forced and unnatural).

Its interesting to ponder if this view is a manifestation of Fi vs Fe in the sense of valuing what sounds right vs adhering to accepted norms.

Typo

Thats one I would not have caught and probably would not have even looked out of place to me, but I can see your reasoning there.

See 3.

I make those errors a lot, usually catch them on a proofread, but rarely get them right the first time. Sometimes I'll even go so far as to just break the words up so I don't have to think about where to put the "' ' "

[/QUOTE]
    see 12.

Thanks for the response

MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by Usehername View Post
    you are the biggest J I have ever met online.
    sheesh
    Makes me ashamed to be one, almost.

Welcome TenebrousReflection !

This signature left intentionally blank.

Really.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

Quote Originally Posted by TenebrousReflection View Post

Thanks for the response
    Oh, you're welcome. Don't worry, I don't do that all the time. A lot of people didn't like that, so I probably shouldn't have done it. Apparently they don't see anything amusing about being an anal-retentive grammarian. I did it partially because you used a word I didn't know in your user name, and also just in case you're an IN_P, so that I can dispel the myth that they are fastidious about grammar and spelling. I want to make sure everyone understands that that is a Judging type flaw.

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

... I did it partially because you used a word I didn't know in your user name, and also just in case you're an IN_P, so that I can dispel the myth that they are fastidious about grammar and spelling. I want to make sure everyone understands that that is a Judging type flaw.
    Um... point noted?

Welcome again, T.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    InTP
    Enneagram
    9w1 sp
    Socionics
    INTj Ni

Hi, and welcome to the forum