User Tag List

First 234

MBTI
    INTJ

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by TenebrousReflection View Post
    ...This is where I seem the think quite differently. To me how others see me is irrelevant to who I actually am. It may be just a theory, but I think if I can find a type that actually is a fit I'm comfortable with, pursuing the strengths of that type that I may have previously neglected will lead to less stress from living my life in a way that may be contrary to my true being as well as opening up new paths for further personal growth. (ya, that sounds kinda cheesy, but thats the optimist/idealist side of me trying to articulate its vision. )
    I agree in the context of how one uses MBTI to help themselves, but it the context of someone asking me what my type is so they can know what to expect from me and know how to communicate with me, they need to know I am an INTJ.

This quote is from another site I've been reading, but it made a lot of sense to me and its what I've been using as the basis for some of my self analysis. (if I were to take my own advice there, I would have ruled out NT by now, but my strange alternate theories keep it as an option for now)
    Theorists would be psychologically dead if they could not pursue knowledge, and Catalysts would be psychologically dead if they could not pursue meaning.
    I would rather pursue meaning- or rather, authenticity.
    The only reason for my pursuit of knowledge is to aid in my pursuit of meaning.

MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by INTJMom View Post
    I think so many people misunderstand INTJs and think that we like to know how things work just for the hell of it. Not so.
    "You will always be fond of me. I represent to you all the sins you never had the courage to commit."

Reason is, and ought only to be the slave of the passions, and can never pretend to any other office
    than to serve and obey them. - David Hume

Senior Member TenebrousReflection's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFp
    Enneagram
    4w5 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    Well, the thing to remember is that Ti does not HAVE to implement. It is perfectly happy with designing and defining everything. Because that is what matters. Implementation is irrelevant to Ti, because Ti is focused on DEFINING something -- in describing its essence, or seeing a general strategy involved.
    I guess this is one of those points where I'm borderline on J/P then. I spend a LOT of time thinking/internalizing ideas (both feeling stuff as well as ideas for projects), but once I reach a point where I am satisfied with the results I have in my mind, I can't rest until I at least attempt to turn those ideas into a reality. Now when i actually try to externalize those ideas, I find it much more difficult to articulate (Fe?) or implement (Te?) them.

Ti can also make flowcharts and blueprints; that is merely part of a design process. It is not implementation.

If you think in terms of programming, Ti is very much like doing pseudocode, and creating objects in OOP. Te is very much like taking that pseudocode and following established logical steps to turn it into real code.

Checklists, powering through situations to implement an idea, the specifics involved in implementing the idea, accomplishing objectives is Te. Ti is more about deciding the broad objectives and making sure the strategy is internally coherent/consistent; but it does not care as much about the specifics of accomplishing the objective, as long as the theory is coherent.
    Its been quite a while since i did any programming other than vbscript stuff, but I still remember the principles so it makes sense in that context. In this case, depending on project complexity, I'd picture what I want it to do, make a flowchart and/or project outline (mostly to make sure I haven't overlooked anything essential) then I'd go about mixing stuff together til I got each of the individual parts working the way I wanted (I only resort to "by the book" if all else fails) and then figure out how to make the parts work with each other tweaking as I go. But when it comes to putting furniture etc together, then i do go completely by the book. If I think I know what I'm doing (which by no means guarantees that I actually do), I ignore the rules, if I know I'm clueless I follow instructions til I reach a comfort level with the task.

I have the same issue with my own MBTI reading. I know how I work internally (and it is very T), and I know how I compare to INFPs around me (they are much more tender-hearted in real life, compared to me in the discussions I have with them), but I still have always had a great deal of empathy for a desire for self-actualization and purpose, a desire to be unique and stand out as different, a love for inspiring people to do things. So I am like a soulmate for NFs but do not process things the way they do.

To me, honestly, this just seems to be merged with the Ti -- which is interested in defining things. I just happen to be interested in "defining people." Which leads into chasing after NF concerns, just in a slightly different way than they do.
    The T type trait I think I most identify with is the need to understand why and how things work. That includes myself and other humans as well as non-living objects. I find I'm usually more concerned with "why" someone does something than what they did or how they did it, but for mechanical or electronic devices its the "how" part that fascinates me.

Senior Member TenebrousReflection's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFp
    Enneagram
    4w5 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by INTJMom View Post
    I agree in the context of how one uses MBTI to help themselves, but it the context of someone asking me what my type is so they can know what to expect from me and know how to communicate with me, they need to know I am an INTJ.
    In the sense of knowing what to expect from me, it would be context sensitive. If at work, being seen as/treated as an NT seems normal to me and its what I expect there and what I'm comfortable with in that environment. Outside of work, it would depend on the specific person I'm talking to.

Again, that sounds a bit like me. I do like to learn some things just to know how they work and store those factoids for possible future use, but when it comes to myself and other people, my pursuit of knowledge is so that I can better understand myself and others. Its hard to describe exactly what motivates my desire to understand myself and others, but I would say its somethgin different than pursuit of meaning, but to pursue meaning, I need to understand myself (understand what things are important to the real me and why) so the two are tied together.