User Tag List

First 1234 Last

Hi
    (/me hopes not having mispelled it )

MBTI
    INTJ

Smile

Welcome TenebrousReflection!

Glad to have you here. Hope you like it here and find the help you're looking for.

Quote Originally Posted by athenian200 View Post
    ...You might be a walking lexicon, but your spelling and grammar leave something to be critiqued..."
    So does that mean that TenebrousReflection could be an INTP? Definitely not a perfectionistic INTJ of INFJ?

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by INTJMom View Post
    So does that mean that TenebrousReflection could be an INTP? Definitely not a perfectionistic INTJ or INFJ?
    Probably not an INTJ. Tenebrous' response to Ath200 was very reasoned and did not poke back. I am inclined to expect an INTJ to take such an unexpected and tortuous criticism of their first post on MBTIc as a volley of shots fired over the bow... but Ten took it in stride.

INFJ would have responded out of Fe and maintained the peace (as Ten did), but the answer was still fairly easy going rather than more formal and structured like typical INFJ. There was no real sense of just trying to "keep the peace" or "be civil," Ten seemed more relaxed about things.

I'm inclined to read INxP.

[As far as either of those go, INFP tends to be more self-deprecating than what was shown, when INTP would have most likely toyed more with Ath200, poking back.]
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    Probably not an INTJ. Tenebrous' response to Ath200 was very reasoned and did not poke back. I am inclined to expect an INTJ to take such an unexpected and tortuous criticism of their first post on MBTIc as a volley of shots fired over the bow... but Ten took it in stride.

... I'm recalling my initial reaction to your jibes in my introduction thread over at INTPc. Good thing I waited a while before replying.

Edit: Oh, and welcome, TR.

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by Economica View Post
    ... I'm recalling my initial reaction to your jibes in my introduction thread over at INTPc. Good thing I waited a while before replying.
    :yim_rolling_on_the_

Oh dear, I'm sorry. I had totally forgotten about all that, since at the time we didn't know each other yet...

Yes, you did a wonderful job.

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    INTJ

Yes, you did a wonderful job.
    And I believe I've since proven both uses of my J.

Senior Member TenebrousReflection's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFp
    Enneagram
    4w5 sx/sp

INFJ would have responded out of Fe and maintained the peace (as Ten did), but the answer was still fairly easy going rather than more formal and structured like typical INFJ. There was no real sense of just trying to "keep the peace" or "be civil," Ten seemed more relaxed about things.

I'm inclined to read INxP.

[As far as either of those go, INFP tends to be more self-deprecating than what was shown, when INTP would have most likely toyed more with Ath200, poking back.]
    Well, I am new here so I may be more cautious and self conscious in regards to my responses. I do like to keep things civil and polite when possible, but I also enjoy a lively discussion and don't mind loosing if I at least learn something from it. The mere thought of formality tends to make me cringe, but I do see its situational value so I don't completely ignore it.

And now a bit more on my reasoning and confusion...

The core values for NF seem a much better match to me than the ones for NT. I tend to pursue knowledge instinctively, but the NF values such as "Want to be authentic, benevolent, and empathic", "Search for identity, meaning, and significance" and "Are relationship oriented, particularly valuing meaningful relationships." are much stronger values to me than knowledge. Aside from the values, I often think I act more like an NT than an NF and am probably perceived as some type of NT by those that only know me from a work environment.

I've been reading what I can find on the cognitive processes thinking that will help answer some of my questions.

I strongly relate to descriptions of Fi and Ni.

For Fe, a fair amount of it relates to me, but I have a pragmatic side that overrules a lot of the social values things that seem very important to this function. Personal values also override social/cultural values for me.

For Ne, I'm having a hard time figuring out how much of that I actually do because if/when I'm using it, its theoretically in the service of Fi or Ti and happening subconsciously.

I'm having a hard time distinguishing what kind of things qualify as Ti and Te and how to separate them. I like designing and creating things, but I do that in my mind, so I'm not sure if thats Ti since I'm internalizing it, or Te since its things that I could theoretically take a few more steps and create.

I have some qualities of Si and Se but I think they are very basic function type stuff. Si is probably a bit more developed than Se.

I could probably think of more to add, but time flew by and I need to get to sleep now...

Thanks for all the replies so far.

Glowy Goopy Goodness The_Liquid_Laser's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP

Welcome TenebrousReflection!
    My wife and I made a game to teach kids about nutrition. Please try our game and vote for us to win. (Voting period: July 14 - August 14)
    http://www.revoltingvegetables.com

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by TenebrousReflection View Post
    The core values for NF seem a much better match to me than the ones for NT. I tend to pursue knowledge instinctively, but the NF values such as "Want to be authentic, benevolent, and empathic", "Search for identity, meaning, and significance" and "Are relationship oriented, particularly valuing meaningful relationships." are much stronger values to me than knowledge. Aside from the values, I often think I act more like an NT than an NF and am probably perceived as some type of NT by those that only know me from a work environment.
    Aside from the fact we are all individuals and might not conform to pattern, even within the theory itself types possess functions that belong more fully to other types.

INFP = Fi + Ne + Si + Te (for example)

Personal values also override social/cultural values for me.
    That is more Fi, obviously.

For Ne, I'm having a hard time figuring out how much of that I actually do because if/when I'm using it, its theoretically in the service of Fi or Ti and happening subconsciously.
    There is a good thread going on right now about Ne, you could read that and see if anything gels with you.

I'm having a hard time distinguishing what kind of things qualify as Ti and Te and how to separate them. I like designing and creating things, but I do that in my mind, so I'm not sure if thats Ti since I'm internalizing it, or Te since its things that I could theoretically take a few more steps and create.
    This is more Ti at work. Te is really about extroverting the thinking process and applying it to the outer reality. To a Te, the basic gist is that an idea is NOT being thought about unless it is being implemented in some way; that's part of how the thinking is actually done. It cannot be so easily detached from the environment, unlike Ti which can sit in its own inner world and model reality and play with that model instead.

Just some ideas for you.

MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by TenebrousReflection View Post
    ...The core values for NF seem a much better match to me than the ones for NT. I tend to pursue knowledge instinctively, but the NF values such as "Want to be authentic, benevolent, and empathic", "Search for identity, meaning, and significance" and "Are relationship oriented, particularly valuing meaningful relationships." are much stronger values to me than knowledge. Aside from the values, I often think I act more like an NT than an NF and am probably perceived as some type of NT by those that only know me from a work environment....
    I had the same struggle for 3 years! I bolded the NF items that I relate to also.

I finally had to come to the realization, that for practical purposes, regardless of what is going on inside my soul, the me that everybody sees on the outside is the one that I mostly am.