User Tag List

123 Last

MBTI
    INTJ

Default Greetings (new INTJ)

Greetings! Hajimemashite! Mae Govannen! Cheers to fellow kindred spirits. Is anyone looking to make a new friend? I am a quintessential INTJ, though I lean toward INTP. Somehow I have managed to avoid becoming the crass troll that typifies many INTJs online. I play nice, and I am interested in understanding other's viewpoints and perceptions on Life, the Universe, and Everything.

Here is my bio from another site:

I am an introspective and intellectual person (INTJ) though I have a sentimental streak as well. I was raised in the Chicago suburbs. I have spent much of my young life contemplating many things regarding cosmology, philosophy (and theology), psychology, and the postmodern era. I enjoy losing myself in creative imaginary worlds which mirror our own only insomuch as they speak to the human condition.

Beyond philosophy and my career in astronautical engineering, I enjoy losing myself in creative imaginary worlds which mirror our own only insomuch as they speak to the human condition. I read a lot of science fiction and fantasy literature. I am a student of Japanese language and culture (including Anime and the ancient board game Go). I enjoy fencing (foil and sabre).

For those who have ever seen an episode of Star Trek TNG, friends and acquaintances have commented on how Vulcan I can be. However, I tend to have far more in common with Captain Picard (ENTJ). I admire the depth of restrained, dutiful passion in Jean-Luc amidst the strength of his reason. Though I doubt I will live up to such an image, I would rather live after his example than acquiesce to the social norms which so often lead to cynicism. At other times, I can be more like Lt. Cmdr. Data. People have also commented on my infrequent playful side which surfaces in the form of wit and keen perceptivity.

Current favorite book: Lord of the Rings (with Ender's Game a close second)
    Current favorite film: Hauru no Ugoku Shiro (Howl's Moving Castle)
    Current favorite music: Hammered Dulcimer
    Current favorite TV: Reruns of Star Trek TNG

Current INTJ preoccupation:
    Social dynamics between types and the means of successfully building meaningful social connections in a postmodern, pluralistic context.

Etymology of username:
    Apollonian and Dionysian - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

"What the philosophers say about Reality is often as disappointing as a sign you see in a shop window which reads: Pressing Done Here. If you brought your clothes to be pressed, you would be fooled; for only the sign is for sale." - Soren Kierkegaard, from Either/Or

"How absurd men are! They never use the liberties they have, they demand those they do not have. They have freedom of thought, they demand freedom of speech." - Soren Kierkegaard

MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by Apollonian View Post
    Mae Govannen!
    I love you.

Also, welcome
    "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind." -Dr. Seuss

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

Hello, Apollonian. Welcome to MBTI Central. You certainly seem well-versed in this theory, perhaps you can share some of your insights with us?

Anyway, I'm very interested in Latin and Old English, and have studied Japanese a bit as well. I wonder if interest in languages is an IN_J thing? I've been studying philosophy and psychology a while.

I'm pretty interested in Star Trek, since as well as being interesting, it shows a lot of examples of people using/neglecting particular functions, and the effects of such focus, if you look carefully. I'll discuss one example that stood out to me recently: In the episode where Worf's spinal column was injured, Dr. Crusher was clearly in an S role, and Dr. Russel is clearly an N.

I have trouble imagining an INTJ without the insensitivity, angst, and creepy behavior. It's almost a defining trait for them. Of course, I may have been biased by seeing so many that fit that stereotype. Despite all that, most of them still seem very insightful and clever about things, although their presentation of their perspective often leaves something to be desired.

Astronautical engineering? Seems interesting
    And welcome

MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by athenian200 View Post
    I have trouble imagining an INTJ without the insensitivity, angst, and creepy behavior. It's almost a defining trait for them. Of course, I may have been biased by seeing so many that fit that stereotype. Despite all that, most of them still seem very insightful and clever about things, although their presentation of their perspective often leaves something to be desired.
    *laugh* I am not surprised. Yet, for my part, I seem to have been sheltered in books throughout much of my young life, and I have only a little of the sociological scarring which I believe leads most INTJ's to stand-offish cynical demeanors. I have fought to retain an optimistic (though often naive) view of the world, and I have expended a great deal of my intellectual resources over the last several years at university to improving my ability to understand and communicate with other people. The MBTI played an integral role. Now, I feel confident that I can get along well with most types and especially well with INTJs INTPs and INFJs. Among introverts, I've probably had the most trouble with INFPs, and I am still trying to pinpoint why. Most extroverts seem to lose interest in real communication rather quickly *laugh*. (PS - however, if you are an extrovert with the patience to read this forum, this probably does not apply to you)

Compared to other INTJs, I can sometimes almost seem INFJ (we do share introverted intuition as our dominant function afterall). However, it doesn't take long to realize that my auxiliary function is most definately extroverted thinking, despite occaisions where I can eloquently rant about my sentimental inclinations toward the tragic beauty involved in the human condition. Contrary to popular belief, INTJs can be quite sentimental and even romantic when given the right context. Look at Mr. Darcy (from Pride and Prejudice) for example; mainly, we are just misunderstood.

Ultimately, the INTJs who learn to preempt other's misunderstanding and make first contact on common ground are most successful. Yet, most INTJs seem to prefer to wait for others to come within range and then often blast them upon the first sign of aggression (which to most others is an attempt at intimacy). It's a shame, really. My life has been enriched by circumventing such defenses and learning from the diverse perspectives of other people.

If you are willing to share your perspective on life with me, I am very interested in learning from you. If you are willing to help me communicate better by giving me a swift smack upside the head when I am being too controlling or too socratic, even better!
    Last edited by Apollonian; 09-30-2007 at 11:38 AM. Reason: Clarification

Glowy Goopy Goodness The_Liquid_Laser's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP

Welcome!

I look forward to reading more of your posts. For an INTJ you seem to know how to wax eloquent.
    My wife and I made a game to teach kids about nutrition. Please try our game and vote for us to win. (Voting period: July 14 - August 14)
    http://www.revoltingvegetables.com

MBTI
    WOLF

Welcome

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

Quote Originally Posted by Apollonian View Post
    If you are willing to share your perspective on life with me, I am very interested in learning from you. If you are willing to help me communicate better by giving me a swift smack upside the head when I am being too controlling or too socratic, even better!
    Actually, I might not be much help with the Socratic part... I do that too. The other thing is, I've usually heard it was INFJ's who had good verbal/communication skills, and INTJ's who were good at implementing their ideas in some way, even if their communication wasn't as good. I've definitely been more bookish than interactive, although my ultimate vision in all of this theory is still to solve social problems by thoroughly explaining the differences between people's needs and styles. People's well-being is still my ultimate focus... not logic, although I may occasionally use it in seeking that.

In life, I think that we should take actions that contribute to our own happiness without harming others. In my case, helping and understanding people brings me happiness, thus I do so, but I don't expect the same of others.

The Unwieldy Clawed One Falcarius's Avatar
    MBTI
    COOL
    Enneagram
    5w4
    Socionics
    Dino None

Welcome.
    Quote Originally Posted by Thalassa View Post
    Oh our 3rd person reference to ourselves denotes nothing more than we realize we are epic characters on the forum.

Narcissism, plain and simple.

MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by athenian200 View Post
    ...Anyway, I'm very interested in Latin and Old English, and have studied Japanese a bit as well. I wonder if interest in languages is an IN_J thing?....
    I was just reading yesterday in another thread that it's an INTP thing to be linguists and grammarians, so that must be from his INTP persuasion.

Welcome to you, Apollonian.