User Tag List

First 123 Last

Thread: Howdy

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

Quote Originally Posted by Andy K Octopus View Post
    My name is Andy and I hail from Annapolis, MD. I am 29 years old.
    Hello, Andy. Welcome to MBTI Central. Does MD stand for Maryland, I don't remember? What is it like in Annapolis?

I am a musician, I play bass. I like playing 60s style Soul and R and B.

I have a degree in history from the University of MD, and presently work as a clerk in law office.
    I can't play instruments, but I mostly like Pop and Classic Rock. Are you hoping for advancement, or are you happy there?
    I am an INFJ (although I have tested as an INFP before), but most tests put me as an INFJ, and that type descriptions fit me. I always test as an INF, no matter what version of the online MBTI I have taken. And no, I do not have pyschic powers, despite what Keirsey might say (but I am a bit obsessive.)
    Sounds like you've researched this. Ask us anything you're curious about that might split you on the J/P dimension.
    I am not a classic introvert, because I go out a lot and have a lot of friends, but I need several hours a day of pure alone time to re-charge my batteries

On the Enneagram I am a type 4 (w5).

That sounds a bit more INFJ... I'm a 4 on Enneagram.

MBTI
    INTJ

A male INFJ?

Welcome aboard!

... You wouldn't happen to identify with Marilyn Manson, would you? (The link is to a thread here about his type.)

MBTI
    INFJ

Quote Originally Posted by athenian200 View Post
    Hello, Andy. Welcome to MBTI Central. Does MD stand for Maryland, I don't remember? What is it like in Annapolis?

I can't play instruments, but I mostly like Pop and Classic Rock. Are you hoping for advancement, or are you happy there?

Sounds like you've researched this. Ask us anything you're curious about that might split you on the J/P dimension.

That sounds a bit more INFJ... I'm a 4 on Enneagram.
    Annapolis is a sailing town. It is old and small, but has a lot of character. it is one of the oldest cities in the US, is the state capital of Maryland and is home to the US Naval Academy.

I generally like it here, but it can be frustrating

on the J/P I would have to look up exactly what is what, but I have some J traits and some P traits.

I think I am an INFJ myself. It fits me a bit better.

I find subjects like the MBTI and the Enneagram fascinating, because they offer insights into how different minds work. I also have a book about the Human Dimensions Model, which is a newer classification loosely based on the MBTI.

MBTI
    INFJ

Quote Originally Posted by Economica View Post
    A male INFJ?

Welcome aboard!

... You wouldn't happen to identify with Marilyn Manson, would you? (The link is to a thread here about his type.)
    I never identified with him before

MBTI
    INFJ

A male INFJ?

Welcome aboard!

but is INFJ a rare type for males? why is it considered so elusive?

and how come there are so few S people on here? Are N people more drawn to the MBTI?

MBTI
    INTJ

but is INFJ a rare type for males? why is it considered so elusive?
    According to various statistics, INFJ is indeed the rarest type for males, and AFAIK we don't have any other (active) male INFJs here.

(We did a poll on this a while back which confirmed the statistics, but whether the poll was skewed by people knowing the statistics is anyone's guess.)

and how come there are so few S people on here? Are N people more drawn to the MBTI?
    In my experience the answer to the second question is a roaring yes. I introduce pretty much everyone I meet (socially) IRL to MBTI and while the iNtuitives are easy to infect with the bug (even if the NTPs must first perform the argumentative you-can't-pigeonhole-me song-and-dance that ironically marks them so strongly as NTPs ) the Sensers generally have difficulty understanding my enthusiasm. No doubt my salesmanship is iNtuitive-biased - which I'm working on - but I cannot believe that that accounts entirely for the difference I experience.

That said, however, some suspect that the percentage of Ns on MBTI boards is artificially high because many definitions of S and N and many type descriptions are biased toward N. ptgatsby and Randomnity are two examples of ISTPs who used to identify as INTPs because, well, who wouldn't want to be a Thinker rather than a Mechanic?

I never identified with him before
    Would you care to read the thread about MM that I linked to and put in your two cents? I would be most appreciative.

heart on fire

ptgatsby and Randomnity are two examples of ISTPs who used to identify as INTPs because, well, who wouldn't want to be a Thinker rather than a Mechanic?

Maybe an actual mechanic? I see nothing demeaning about the labels of mechanic or artisian.

Ironically three of the people I know who work mechanical/technical jobs tested N (aircraft maintenance seems to attract them) and two people who work computer programing jobs are S and two S I know are school teachers and another ISTJ is a retired chemist who edits technical journals.

MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by heart View Post
    Maybe an actual mechanic? I see nothing demeaning about the labels of mechanic or artisian.
    I didn't intend to demean the job of a mechanic. However, I have personally witnessed two ISTP med students struggle with figuring out their type because they didn't identify with the 'mechanic' description, and I know other ISTPs who I believe would also shy away from that ISTP description due to the intangible nature of their jobs. (ptgatsby has in an epiphanic post chronicled his realization that he is an ISTP and not an INTP; I highly recommend reading it.) Of course actual ISTP mechanics (and bus drivers and gardeners and stuntmen...) recognize themselves in the practical description but like it or not, it seems that few ISTPs in other lines of work find the 'mechanic' title aspirational... Whereas no INTJ, for instance, seems to mind the equally vocational Scientist title.

MBTI
    INXP

My name is Andy and I hail from Annapolis, MD. I am 29 years old.

I am a musician, I play bass. I like playing 60s style Soul and R and B.

I have a degree in history from the University of MD, and presently work as a clerk in law office.

I am an INFJ (although I have tested as an INFP before), but most tests put me as an INFJ, and that type descriptions fit me. I always test as an INF, no matter what version of the online MBTI I have taken. And no, I do not have pyschic powers, despite what Keirsey might say (but I am a bit obsessive.)

I am not a classic introvert, because I go out a lot and have a lot of friends, but I need several hours a day of pure alone time to re-charge my batteries

On the Enneagram I am a type 4 (w5).
    And is your surname really Octopus? That'd be cool. Not as cool as being an actual octopus who browses forums though. Imagine how the eight arms would be useful for multi tasking all that stuff on the web

Oh, and Hi.

-Geoff

Permabanned
    MBTI
    xkcd
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/sp
    Socionics
    INT_

Welcome!

Where do the gay midshipmen go cruising when they are on leave? I wonder this every time I am in Annapolis.