User Tag List

First 23456 Last

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISTJ

Quote Originally Posted by oberon67 View Post
    Sona, if a picture of pigs bothers you, well...you ain't seen NOTHING yet. This isn't the forum to frequent if "inoffensive" is what you're looking for.

Oh...and asking people here to not play games with you is probably counterproductive.
    As long as its not pigs. In Islamic culture a pig is very bad. And that has been drilled into me since I was a little boy, so now my body is conditions to feel sick when I think about pigs.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9w8
    Socionics
    INTj

Didn't you used to post on INTPc?
    Isn't it time for a colourful metaphor?

Oberon

Quote Originally Posted by Sona View Post
    As long as its not pigs. In Islamic culture a pig is very bad. And that has been drilled into me since I was a little boy, so now my body is conditions to feel sick when I think about pigs.
    Well, I can respect that point of view and understand that you are responding to your conditioning...but you're a newcomer, and you're asking this forum to change to accomodate you. I haven't been here all that long, but I would guess that it's considered rude of you to ask.

There are probably plenty of online message boards where the culture is that of traditional Islam, and you will see no pictures of pigs there; this board simply isn't one of those, and likely never will be.

I don't mean to be rude, but only informative.

With regard to pigs themselves, I'm guessing you've never actually seen one in real life? Please allow me to confirm for you that you aren't necessarily wrong to feel sick...NOTHING stinks like a hog farm. Nothing.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9w8
    Socionics
    INTj

There should never be anything wrong with asking.

Same as there should never be a problem with the response of "no".

I just took it as normal ISTJ bluntness.

Or are we more set up to ask people to change than to accomodate them?

Oberon

Well, it's possible and perhaps even likely that I'm speaking out of turn.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9w8
    Socionics
    INTj

Well, it's possible and perhaps even likely that I'm speaking out of turn.
    Screw turns, speak your mind!

[That was another political broadcast for the Anti Establishmentarianism Party.]

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISTJ

Well, I can respect that point of view and understand that you are responding to your conditioning...but you're a newcomer, and you're asking this forum to change to accomodate you. I haven't been here all that long, but I would guess that it's considered rude of you to ask.

There are probably plenty of online message boards where the culture is that of traditional Islam, and you will see no pictures of pigs there; this board simply isn't one of those, and likely never will be.

I don't mean to be rude, but only informative.

With regard to pigs themselves, I'm guessing you've never actually seen one in real life? Please allow me to confirm for you that you aren't necessarily wrong to feel sick...NOTHING stinks like a hog farm. Nothing.

No I completely understand the point you're making, I just thought some people might show some civility and change it at a request. I guess some people are not taught these etiquette concepts by their parents.

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

I had been wondering if you were Jewish, to have such a reaction (pigs are "unclean")...

Oh well, in one sense I was close -- it was a religious-instilled repulsion.

No I completely understand the point you're making, I just thought some people might show some civility and change it at a request. I guess some people are not taught these etiquette concepts by their parents.
    It's not really about etiquette, it's about what seems reasonable accommodation. Honestly, you can feel free to make the request (that seems reasonable), and the individual in mind can feel free to comply or reject the request (that seems reasonable), and both sides have to make allowances rather than demands of each other. And then take the responsibility themselves to resolve issues they cannot live with.

(For example, if Nat's "flying pigs" avatar is THAT offensive to you, you are permitted to Ignore all of her comments. Is it worth the cost to miss out on her input because of her avatar? Perhaps to you it is. But it's your decision. And it's the solution that remains to you, since you are the only one out of a few hundred other people who is offended by her whimsical avatar. Why is it more proper for everyone else to change to appease one person? No one could have ANY avatars if that was the groundrule, I promise you -- someone is ALWAYS offended.)

As far as etiquette goes, I have three children and deal constantly with the compromises that have to occur so that individuality can be respected by BOTH sides, not just the person making the request. It is not a pretty job, but it's not nearly as clear-cut as you make it to be.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

Oberon

I guess some people are not taught these etiquette concepts by their parents.
    Let's say a Hasidic Jew barges into your living room and demands that you take down your photo of the Kaaba, because it offends him.

Does etiquette require that you do so?

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9w8
    Socionics
    INTj

Just switch the avatars off. Problem solved.

Jeez people..negotiation. Is everyone a foreigner to negotiation.