User Tag List

First 12

insert random title here Randomnity's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by HanoverFist View Post
    Well Robert A. Heinlein, Isaac Asimov, Piers Anthony, Douglas Adams, Anne McCaffrey, Orson Scott Card, Larry Niven.

I guess the ones that really impressed me were, The Ringworld, Enders Game, the Foundation trilogy, The Hitchhikers guide to the Galaxy, and of course the Hobbit. After the second book of the lord of the rings it got kinda boring to me.
    Great taste! Those are all some of my favourite authors/books. Welcome.

MBTI
    istp

Thanks for the welcome.

After thinking about it today, I remember what got me into sci-phy/fantasy stuff. When i was like 13 or 14 I used to go to the corner drug store and get heavy metal magazine. I dont think they or my mother realized what was in it. Some of you that have read heavy metal or seen the movie might recognize the name.
    Scuse me, gotta run, some 'feeling type' is walking towards me trying to make something called conversation

RDF

Thanks for the welcome.

After thinking about it today, I remember what got me into sci-phy/fantasy stuff. When i was like 13 or 14 I used to go to the corner drug store and get heavy metal magazine. I dont think they or my mother realized what was in it. Some of you that have read heavy metal or seen the movie might recognize the name.
    I remember Heavy Metal. I checked out a few issues and even saw the movie. That was kind of after my time, though. The first issue of Heavy Metal came out in 1977, when I was already in my 20s.

Along the same line (big glossy-cover comic books with offbeat story lines), I grew up reading "Eerie" and "Creepy" magazines. Monster magazines were the big thing in the 60s and early 70s, though they increasingly made the transition into sci-fi and sword and fantasy over time. Creepy Magazine: Issues 1-40

FL

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Yes, I remember Heavy Metal. (Is the magazine still being published?)

I even got to see the movie in theaters at a midnight showing in the 80's... What a hoot.

Quote Originally Posted by FineLine View Post
    Monster magazines were the big thing in the 60s and early 70s, though they increasingly made the transition into sci-fi and sword and fantasy over time.
    Yes, that was right before my time. The first mags I started getting with regularity in that genre were Sci-Fi & Fantasy mag, Isaac Asimov' mag, and Dragon magazine (starting with issue #35-40 or something in that time period...)

The monster mags were diminishing then in the 80's, although the comic book store I would visit carried a large number of schlock horror/gore magazines and Vampirella and similar things... I was never much into those, though.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx/so
    Socionics
    IEI

My education in scifi/fantasy was mostly presided over by my father who was very happy to let me watch his movies and later pushed random books from his collection under my nose. It was frustrating at first because of some dyslexia and he was practically forcing the books on me; but once I got past reading the same sentence over and over again I could actually get into the story. I have also had a thing for astronomy since I could pretty much walk, so that helped.

RDF

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    The monster mags were diminishing then in the 80's, although the comic book store I would visit carried a large number of schlock horror/gore magazines and Vampirella and similar things... I was never much into those, though.
    Schlock?!? :steam: Those magazines were cutting-edge when they first came out! Given that it was the mid and late 60s, those magazines suddenly exposed 10- and 12-year-olds all over America to an historically unprecedented level of cleavage and gore.

FL