User Tag List

12 Last

Results 1 to 10 of 18

  1. #1
    Dream without Hesitation Dreamer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    792 so/sx
    Socionics
    IEE Fi
    Posts
    2,893

    Default Introverted Sensing: Practical or Mysterious?



    Came across this video on another way of viewing Si that I appreciate. Much of what I know of my own Si can be described in this video.
    The future belongs to those who believe in the beauty of their dreams
    -Eleanor Roosevelt
    Likes Korvinagor, Cat Brainz liked this post

  2. #2
    Who Am I? Forever's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Socionics
    Just Ni
    Posts
    6,872

    Default

    I think yeah, she really tries to find the *true* nature of Introverted Sensing, many people get thrown off by the word "sensing" and automatically think - practical which is totally not the point of a perception function. I like how she named it Impressions, really gives Si to be more of a dreamy quality. So many people think Ni is the ultimate "dreamy" function.. I would in fact argue that it's more bare and oddly practical in its own way. (now before you ape shiv)- Ni sees forms and desires those form manifest into reality (Se), so Ni really is a fast function in terms of inner life, you just pick it up from within and try to apply it onto real life or the best way the user may think.

    An Ni is more in their head because it's grouping things together. For an INFJ, they're psychologists in a sense seeking to make sense of what goes on.. compare and contrast against external reality, Ni is very focused.. it's not meant to expand.. it's meant to centralize and get to the point of things..

    Think of why INFP's are called the "dreamers" and INFJ's the "counselors", what impression do you get from those two nicknames? Which MBTI type has Si? [yes I know which one does, just making a rhetorical point here]

    Anyway, my point making.. Si is a special function on its own with much derision from the novice populace based on the MBTI's differing perception of it.

    Everyone who is reading this, please don't read things based on face value... the human psyche deserves more depth and understanding. Your MBTI type is not simple. Si dominants, you guys rock, remember that.

    If you take being called ESFJ or ISFJ as an insult, even if it's not your correct type.. rethink in terms of why the person may think that way, it may be beyond "simple explanations".. and ask questions. Thank you.
    F O R E V E R


    When it matters, everyone's the same.



    Likes Dreamer liked this post

  3. #3
    Senior Member Mal12345's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    MBTI
    IxTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ti
    Posts
    13,858

    Default

    Internal sensations form the basis of the belief system of the Introverted Sensor. For most people, seeing is believing. But for the Introverted Sensor, believing is seeing, but not in the normal perceptual sense. At its worst, reality absolutely must conform to the internal perception or else punishment will ensue. This will be punishment against either the self or others. In the latter case it takes the form of projection.

    At its best, the Introverted Sensor is a calm, placid type, albeit resistant to change.
    "If you try to build something that is idiot-proof, the universe will build a better idiot."
    I'm an extrovert trapped within an introverted soul.
    Likes Dreamer liked this post

  4. #4
    Senior Member Mal12345's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    MBTI
    IxTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ti
    Posts
    13,858

    Default

    @10:43 in the OP video: "It is as if a stone fell deep into water..." I think what is missing from Jung's analysis of the Introverted Sensor is that type's quest for meaning. And when I say "meaning," I'm speaking more profoundly than purpose. The Introverted Sensor will get their meaning from finding a purpose, but that purpose is not the meaning being found which is a more ineffable, indefinite concept. When meaning has been found, the purpose becomes a passion.
    "If you try to build something that is idiot-proof, the universe will build a better idiot."
    I'm an extrovert trapped within an introverted soul.
    Likes Poki liked this post

  5. #5
    Dream without Hesitation Dreamer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    792 so/sx
    Socionics
    IEE Fi
    Posts
    2,893

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mal12345 View Post
    Internal sensations form the basis of the belief system of the Introverted Sensor. For most people, seeing is believing. But for the Introverted Sensor, believing is seeing, but not in the normal perceptual sense. At its worst, reality absolutely must conform to the internal perception or else punishment will ensue. This will be punishment against either the self or others. In the latter case it takes the form of projection.

    At its best, the Introverted Sensor is a calm, placid type, albeit resistant to change.
    I sometimes find it hard to pinpoint function dynamics within the way I think, but I do relate to what you've said here in that "believing is seeing" for the Si user, and it leaves me no doubt that Si is certainly involved in my "Dreamscapes" and inner visuals of emotion and of people.

    My fantasies, and even wandering thoughts as I move about the real environment, is always filled with the impossible. I may see some tree growing in front of a high rise, and in my mind, I may stick it on the building's facade, or perhaps suspend it and its roots in the air in slow motion. Nothing really logically makes sense in these wanderings but I never question it either when the thoughts come. It's as if the perceived is as much a "reality" for me as reality itself.

    I spoke about this with another member once, but when I think of someone, what they feel like to me, their being, it's very hard for me to put it to words, but instead, I see them as a uniquely tailored scene. An environment with sounds, color, and light. It's nothing clearly defined, and does come across as impressionistic.

    What I find interesting in both these cases, where I feel Si has a hand, is that both realms, the imagined/intellectual and the emotional/heart, is given a sort of context, or landscape to root these fascinations visuals in. Even the most abstract of thought needs a touch of reality or groundedness, from which it gains its context and meaning, and to me, Si perhaps, is what provides this for me. Also, it is clear to me that Si works in service of these other directives. It's given the data and Si does what it can to translate it into something a bit more tangible. It's hmm... as if my subconscious is translating its own process in a form I could understand??

    I'm really just thinking out loud here as I've not really explored my own use of Si much before, but while I was typing it all out it made sense
    The future belongs to those who believe in the beauty of their dreams
    -Eleanor Roosevelt

  6. #6
    Dream without Hesitation Dreamer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    792 so/sx
    Socionics
    IEE Fi
    Posts
    2,893

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Forever View Post
    I think yeah, she really tries to find the *true* nature of Introverted Sensing, many people get thrown off by the word "sensing" and automatically think - practical which is totally not the point of a perception function. I like how she named it Impressions, really gives Si to be more of a dreamy quality. So many people think Ni is the ultimate "dreamy" function.. I would in fact argue that it's more bare and oddly practical in its own way. (now before you ape shiv)- Ni sees forms and desires those form manifest into reality (Se), so Ni really is a fast function in terms of inner life, you just pick it up from within and try to apply it onto real life or the best way the user may think. An Ni is more in their head because it's grouping things together. For an INFJ, they're psychologists in a sense seeking to make sense of what goes on.. compare and contrast against external reality, Ni is very focused.. it's not meant to expand.. it's meant to centralize and get to the point of things.. Think of why INFP's are called the "dreamers" and INFJ's the "counselors", what impression do you get from those two nicknames? Which MBTI type has Si? [yes I know which one does, just making a rhetorical point here] Anyway, my point making.. Si is a special function on its own with much derision from the novice populace based on the MBTI's differing perception of it. Everyone who is reading this, please don't read things based on face value... the human psyche deserves more depth and understanding. Your MBTI type is not simple. Si dominants, you guys rock, remember that. If you take being called ESFJ or ISFJ as an insult, even if it's not your correct type.. rethink in terms of why the person may think that way, it may be beyond "simple explanations".. and ask questions. Thank you.
    I agree "practical" is not the best of terms to describe either of the sensing functions, though, I suppose I never understood that term to be all that literal to begin with so I never latched onto it like others may. To me, "practical" merely implies that it deals with the environment in an almost factual way, but does not assume one also IS practical, in the more standard use of the word. It's a sort of half-truth for me, to label the sensing functions as "practical", much in the way that "possibilities" is a sort of half-truth to describe Ne. Like, I wouldn't say that possibility for Ne is any sort of objective really, like it's the aim of an Ne user to think towards the future (that's more so Ni to me and you'd probably agree), but rather, "possibility" is the resultant product, and what happens when you remove all boundaries and limitations from the known world around you to form new realities and connections. Ah! Getting sidetracked here

    But yes! I love the term "impressions" to describe Si. As I've mentioned in my reply to @Mal12345, my quick understanding of my use of Si IS very impressionistic, and really, that would make sense as it's drawing from rather abstract areas such as Ne and Fi. I feel with me, Si gives me the visual, from which I can then translate into words to describe the inner processes at play regarding my intellectual and emotional wanderings. If I think about it, I do actually do that... I am quite literally describing an image I have of my concepts and ideas, and leads me to think why it usually IS so easy for me to describe my inner landscapes, because at that point, I am merely describing what is real, to me, even if that "reality" is not the reality shared by others.
    Likes Cat Brainz liked this post

  7. #7
    Senior Member Mal12345's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    MBTI
    IxTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ti
    Posts
    13,858

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dreamer View Post
    I agree "practical" is not the best of terms to describe either of the sensing functions, though, I suppose I never understood that term to be all that literal to begin with so I never latched onto it like others may. To me, "practical" merely implies that it deals with the environment in an almost factual way, but does not assume one also IS practical, in the more standard use of the word. It's a sort of half-truth for me, to label the sensing functions as "practical", much in the way that "possibilities" is a sort of half-truth to describe Ne. Like, I wouldn't say that possibility for Ne is any sort of objective really, like it's the aim of an Ne user to think towards the future (that's more so Ni to me and you'd probably agree), but rather, "possibility" is the resultant product, and what happens when you remove all boundaries and limitations from the known world around you to form new realities and connections. Ah! Getting sidetracked here

    But yes! I love the term "impressions" to describe Si. As I've mentioned in my reply to @Mal12345, my quick understanding of my use of Si IS very impressionistic, and really, that would make sense as it's drawing from rather abstract areas such as Ne and Fi. I feel with me, Si gives me the visual, from which I can then translate into words to describe the inner processes at play regarding my intellectual and emotional wanderings. If I think about it, I do actually do that... I am quite literally describing an image I have of my concepts and ideas, and leads me to think why it usually IS so easy for me to describe my inner landscapes, because at that point, I am merely describing what is real, to me, even if that "reality" is not the reality shared by others.
    But I haven't responded to it because there is no Si in anything you write about yourself.
    "If you try to build something that is idiot-proof, the universe will build a better idiot."
    I'm an extrovert trapped within an introverted soul.

  8. #8
    Dream without Hesitation Dreamer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    792 so/sx
    Socionics
    IEE Fi
    Posts
    2,893

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mal12345 View Post
    But I haven't responded to it because there is no Si in anything you write about yourself.
    Oh! I'd love to get your feedback on that if you don't mind. It's far too easy for me to eventually find myself in thought "wonderland" if I'm left brainstorming on my own. Trying to pick out Si in my life and how it permeates it is something I can struggle with.

  9. #9
    Senior Member Mal12345's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    MBTI
    IxTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ti
    Posts
    13,858

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dreamer View Post
    Oh! I'd love to get your feedback on that if you don't mind. It's far too easy for me to eventually find myself in thought "wonderland" if I'm left brainstorming on my own. Trying to pick out Si in my life and how it permeates it is something I can struggle with.
    Fear of boredom. Aversion to sameness. Running away from inner emptiness and into externalities. Hating routine work and chores. Hating monotony and repetition. This "yin" part of you will keep you seeking the "yang" which for you is excitement and stimulation, variety, inspiration.
    "If you try to build something that is idiot-proof, the universe will build a better idiot."
    I'm an extrovert trapped within an introverted soul.

  10. #10
    Dream without Hesitation Dreamer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    792 so/sx
    Socionics
    IEE Fi
    Posts
    2,893

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mal12345 View Post
    Fear of boredom. Aversion to sameness. Running away from inner emptiness and into externalities. Hating routine work and chores. Hating monotony and repetition. This "yin" part of you will keep you seeking the "yang" which for you is excitement and stimulation, variety, inspiration.

    Hmm, I think I've been going about this the wrong way but yes, it does make sense. All of the mentioned is certainly true for me, but I hadn't though of linking these feelings (anxiety really) to Si. But it does make sense yes, in that, to find the black hole, you must see where the light bends around it rather than the blackhole itself as it isn't something you can see anyways. These "drivers" that I know well, is what constantly motivates me to seek out external stimulation, to explore, etc. The variety of life that brings me enthusiasm is everything that I constantly feel I must move away from. That would also explain then, the importance of learning of these function axes rather than thinking of them solely in a vacuum as you need a reason to seek out the "yang". The yang in itself isn't reason enough to chase it. Fascinating.

    Thanks Mal! Feel free to correct me btw if I didn't quite get your point.
    The future belongs to those who believe in the beauty of their dreams
    -Eleanor Roosevelt

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO