• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

The ENFP: removed from stereotype

Dreamer

Potential is My Addiction
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
I just really appreciated this video and thought others may find some use to it as well to get a better sense of what an ENFP (most likely ENFP 7) is really like. It really spoke to me with the struggles I can face, as well as how I tend to view the world and my place in it. Would love other ENFPs to pop in to offer their take on this perspective of being an ENFP.

Betty Blue

Let me count the ways
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7W6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Idk, I just fell like that ENFP description was too full on. Yah i always add extra weight to an unbearable load, I get bored easily of things I once was in awe of... but I also can not be always doing something... I can actually switch off.

Seems like an extreme version... I kept hearing words like 'always' and 'must' - those be words that grate me- those be words that flick my rebellious switch.:mad:

I would probably describe myself as full of wonder, my primary causes for learning are understanding and fascination.

Dreamer

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Idk, I just fell like that ENFP description was too full on. Yah i always add extra weight to an unbearable load, I get bored easily of things I once was in awe of... but I also can not be always doing something... I can actually switch off.

Seems like an extreme version... I kept hearing words like 'always' and 'must' - those be words that grate me- those be words that flick my rebellious switch.:mad:

I would probably describe myself as full of wonder, my primary causes for learning are understanding and fascination.

True! Absolutist words seem to totally defy the type don't they. They wrap ideas up and put a close to them and move on, but we all know coming to haste conclusions on ideas is much unfavored by ENFPs.

At first I was thinking ok, I get this, I see what he's saying, but then I felt he was describing solely the 7 type ENFPs. I know I have 7 in me, but I also have periods of isolation and reflection.

I'm starting to think though, that perhaps the personality types are not as different as we would all like to believe, and there is potentially MUCH more overlap than the type descriptions would like to talk about. My feeling is, that they often point to the extremes of the types so that we can see where the specific type differs from others, but does not mean that a type has to embody these extremes.

Cloudpatrol

Senior(ita) Member
True! Absolutist words seem to totally defy the type don't they. They wrap ideas up and put a close to them and move on, but we all know coming to haste conclusions on ideas is much unfavored by ENFPs.

At first I was thinking ok, I get this, I see what he's saying, but then I felt he was describing solely the 7 type ENFPs. I know I have 7 in me, but I also have periods of isolation and reflection.

I'm starting to think though, that perhaps the personality types are not as different as we would all like to believe, and there is potentially MUCH more overlap than the type descriptions would like to talk about. My feeling is, that they often point to the extremes of the types so that we can see where the specific type differs from others, but does not mean that a type has to embody these extremes.

Dreamer I think that we share many of the same BLASPHEMOUS typology ideas :rock:

Too bad we are both so busy or I would suggest us holding meetings at the ice-cream parlours here followed by beach sessions...brainstorming a way to put words to our beliefs.

Then, after we'd published, we could travel doing motivational, psychology-based Q&A's {that would likely teach us more than we'd end up imparting}.

You could eventually design our headquarters where we'd hire as many forum members as we could who've always wanted to work remotely writing... (Except for the ones frothing at the mouth against our philosophy, but maybe we'd ask them to publish counter-points :shrug:).

Having explored this we could then move forward to do the other things that interest us (grin).

Dreamer

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Dreamer I think that we share many of the same BLASPHEMOUS typology ideas :rock:

Too bad we are both so busy or I would suggest us holding meetings at the ice-cream parlours here followed by beach sessions...brainstorming a way to put words to our beliefs.

Then, after we'd published, we could travel doing motivational, psychology-based Q&A's {that would likely teach us more than we'd end up imparting}.

You could eventually design our headquarters where we'd hire as many forum members as we could who've always wanted to work remotely writing... (Except for the ones frothing at the mouth against our philosophy, but maybe we'd ask them to publish counter-points :shrug:).

Having explored this we could then move forward to do the other things that interest us (grin).

I love this whole storyline you have concocted for the two of us, love love LOVE it! Ya, I just tend to have a little problem of ohhh accepting things as they are, and wishing to instead make my own conclusions about things. Give me the framework or system of ideas sure, but how it all comes together, the logic that holds it all together, nope! You can bet I'll add my own spin to it sooner or later. I never did play Monopoly by the rules haha. Every game it seemed I had a new set of rules for it.

And whenever that shall be, we absolutely MUST chat again. I need more blue sky and Clouds in my life :hug:

Dreamer

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Oh! Just wanted to add, that I totally relate to what he mentioned as feeling "one with the world". I think that's the part that tilted me to wanting to post this video up. It's the first time I've heard that sort of feeling mentioned before. And in feeling one with the world, to me, feels like you experience a sort of "flow" to life, like everything is interconnected, it's a feeling, and rather than being an outsider looking in (as I feel Ni doms may perceive things instead) I feel as though I am an observer, but ALSO part of the system or flow. But, more on an autonomous level. Anyone else relate to that bit?? I explained this perception of the world to a few members already.

OrangeAppled

Sugar Hiccup
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx

It may be that humans are all very similar at core, and within cultures, generations, etc, people will have developed similar attitudes.

People also attribute too much to type. They zoom on behavior details and skillsets instead of just seeing basic mentalities that help shape personality. The details in most type profiles illustrate mentality. What I find is many people do the same things or act the same way, and there is a common human drive behind it, but the conscious mentality is a bit different. Obviously, there are lots of different personalities out there, and this is just a way to classify the common mentalities behind them.

Anyhow, I like the differences between people more than the similarities because it makes life more interesting to me. Myers' very book title kind of says it all, "Gifts Differing".

Dreamer

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
It may be that humans are all very similar at core, and within cultures, generations, etc, people will have developed similar attitudes.

People also attribute too much to type. They zoom on behavior details and skillsets instead of just seeing basic mentalities that help shape personality. The details in most type profiles illustrate mentality. What I find is many people do the same things or act the same way, and there is a common human drive behind it, but the conscious mentality is a bit different. Obviously, there are lots of different personalities out there, and this is just a way to classify the common mentalities behind them.

Anyhow, I like the differences between people more than the similarities because it makes life more interesting to me. Myers' very book title kind of says it all, "Gifts Differing".

Oh absolutely, discovering the differences in others is why I am constantly motivated to learn more about other people. Discovering their unique life paths and how they dealt or are dealing with issues, thoughts, their dreams and desires. So fascinating!

It's funny though, because as much as I see the differences in all of us, I almost see an equal amount of similarities that binds us all together as well. It's the differences that imbues in me an intrigue for other people, but the similarities that leaves me with a sense of connectedness with everyone as well. That constant ebb and flow, the dynamic between individual quest, and unified whole is so intrinsic. I tend to think of it as some algorithm and visualize it as such.

I should pick up that book you mentioned too. I feel I would like it very much. :)