• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Video: Meet Christine, the INFP!

OrangeAppled

Sugar Hiccup
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
It's the second time you say this and I'm starting to feel slightly irritated by it.
Whether you like it or not, INFP and ENFP are practically sub-types of the same type. We have the same functions, and they are practically in the same order. The main difference should be at the level of the 3rd function, with INFPs clearly directing with Si and ENFPs with Te. But this is a minor difference in the great scheme of things, where INFPs and ENFPs see the world in basically the same ways and react similarly (if not explicitely outwards, at least inwards).
So your reaction of wanting to distance yourself from ENFPs is basically..... Bullshit. It's just your prejudice really.

I am not trying to distance myself from ENFPs. No reason to make it personal like that.

Frankly though, I dont think typical INFPs and ENFPs look much alike.
I will agree there is more similarity in the thought process, which I find most evident in writing.

However, I don't agree with popular ideas about using functions in an order. Rather, I think they are all facets of a whole mindset, and the functions play different roles. So INFPs have a Fi ego and are dominant introverted rational types, and ENFPs have a Ne ego and are dominant extroverted percieving types. That makes for quite a difference in mentality and visible personality. They are two very distinct types, not subtypes at all. The tendency to have different enneagram types is telling also, especially as ENFPs are more likely to be 7s like ENTPs, whereas ISFPs and INFPs are both commonly 4s or 9s.

Lastly, I have not typed the girl in the video. My main point is she doesnt strike me as INFP. Between the NFPs, she seems more ENFP, but Im not even sold on that.

pinkgraffiti

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I am not trying to distance myself from ENFPs. No reason to make it personal like that.

Frankly though, I dont think typical INFPs and ENFPs look much alike.
I will agree there is more similarity in the thought process, which I find most evident in writing.

However, I don't agree with popular ideas about using functions in an order. Rather, I think they are all facets of a whole mindset, and the functions play different roles. So INFPs have a Fi ego and are dominant introverted rational types, and ENFPs have a Ne ego and are dominant extroverted percieving types. That makes for quite a difference in mentality and visible personality. They are two very distinct types, not subtypes at all. The tendency to have different enneagram types is telling also, especially as ENFPs are more likely to be 7s like ENTPs, whereas ISFPs and INFPs are both commonly 4s or 9s.

Lastly, I have not typed the girl in the video. My main point is she doesnt strike me as INFP. Between the NFPs, she seems more ENFP, but Im not even sold on that.

First of all, Im sorry for the form in which i wrote to you. i had had an argument with my partner who is an INFP and i was slightly irritated with INFPs as a whole race :p
However, re-reading what I wrote, my opinion remains and I would like to comment on what you said now, even though ultimately this is all a question of opinion and I don't want to convince you, nor do I think you want to be convinced. But I sill enjoy discussing points of view so...

Yes, maybe order of functions is not a clear order. I agree with this and for this reason I sustain that we are sub-types of a same type. My reason for saying this comes directly from my experience of having many INFP friends, as well as having had romantic relationships with two INFPs in my lifetime. In fact, as for function order, I think introversion/extroversion is the least important aspect of MBTI, and as you say the development of the functions can depend on the individual (I have seen INFPs use Fi-Si more than Ne-> unhealthy INFP) and me personally, I probably have an underdeveloped Fi or maybe have little trust in it, and I've been working on this. .... all this is further proof that INFPs and ENFPs are made of the same material, so it seems to me that we are actually agreeing rather than disagreeing.

As for the 3rd function, I see it clearly, that my reaction to stress goes through Te and my partner's through Si. This is why it seems to me that 3rd function is the most important difference. But it doesn't mean I'm stuck on function order. I'm just speaking from empirical personal experience.

As for the enneagram, I definitely have both type 7 and 4 in my tritype and they are both very strong, actually some times I wonder which one is stronger. And Im pretty sure my INFP partner, who is a 4, also has 7 in her tritype. You will argue that I'm only talking about my personal example, and MBTI is statistical, but in fact my whole point is that there is not a clear division of INFPs and ENFPs in ways of thinking and values(!?) for the world (not sure how to express this but I hope you understand). Think of Sigmoidal curves instead of binary units, think of Venn diagrams instead of black and white. This is what I mean.

I see us more as a gradation, I believe the introversion/extroversion factor just leads to a gradation in uses of functions and levels of extroversion. Im not saying we are the same, but what pushes my buttons personally is reading on this forum that INFPs don't think they can communicate satisfyingly with ENFPs. I have seen this mostly in the thread of "how you communicate with other types" or whatever it's called. It's just the cliché that ENFPs are more extroverted therefore less attune with their inner self, less interested in exploring the depth of human emotion and more interested in having a party, meeting a hundred different people and ending up having group sex whilst drunk and on drugs. And INFPs are not able to be social or to have a fun day with other people, they will be sitting alone at night with just a candle on (not full lights otherwise the serotonin levels may get to them and make them be happy, god forbid (!) , and they will be writing their feelings and cutting their veins. This is bullshit.

I believe all the deepness that you think you are able of, I am also, and all the level of communication you would like to have with an ENFP, I believe you would be able to equally well as with an INFP. Maybe the ENFP will not like to linger for such a long time on Fi, because we are drawn to Ne, but. but we have the same capacity to fully understand and experience the mind of an INFP.

SurrealisticSlumbers

📠girl in an 🎠world
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
She is so similar to me in interests and outlook, it's unsettling, but it's also immensely reassuring that there are actually other people like this out there.

Siúil a Rúin

when the colors fade
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I see a great deal of Fe in her manner and words. Her social descriptions sound very Fe to me. I definitely feel a strong kind of extroverted energy in her. It's possible she is an ENFP, but the function that strikes me the most is Fe. She really has a ton of extroverted energy, which makes her fun and lovely, but it would not occur to me to type her as an INFP.

Siúil a Rúin

when the colors fade
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Here's a video that shows an INFP (left) and ENFP (right). It really clarifies the difference between introverted and extroverted energy. During the first half of the interview I thought the woman on the left could be ISFJ, but as I listened to the entire video, there is more inclination towards intuition and I would say INFP is far more plausible for the woman you see here.

This girl definitely has introverted energy, and seems rather INFP to me.

Fiona Apple is kind of the poster child for INFP Fi-dom. This interview does show clear Fi both in manner and content. You can also see introverted energy. It is so interesting to see such a distilled expression of Ne-aux when she describes how she connects with other people.

HisKittyKat

MBTI Type
XNFP
Enneagram
4w5
Hum, I don't see myself as an NFP in her. She has a lot of energy for an Introvert. Honestly her video sounds somewhat rehearsed almost like she read a lot of stereotypical material and took it to video. When I listen to her talk she sounds more like an ENFJ /ESFP to be honest. She could be an EFP even If I don't relate with her, however I'm pretty sure listening to this video she is not an Introvert.

chubber

failed poetry slam career
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
  • INFP talks about herself.

Wow, like a copy/paste from my ex-INFP, did all those things. Drove me insane.