User Tag List

123 Last

Enneagram
    6w7 sp/so

Default Why the Myers-Briggs test is totally meaningless

Gotta love how they're comparing mbti to fortune telling. Honestly this video is just incredibly lazy and lacks research imo. Obviously we're only using type indicators to put people into categories, what else.

Leisurely > Sensitive > Solitary
    Si / Fi / Fe
    Johari / Nohari / Tumblr

who are

Is there a reason you see the mentioned studies as invalid?

They should read Nardi.
    Likes EJCC liked this post

Enneagram
    6w7 sp/so

Quote Originally Posted by /DG/ View Post
    Is there a reason you see the mentioned studies as invalid?
    I don't necessarily see them as invalid. I don't doubt that 50% of the people who did the test twice got different results, my results also change every time I do. My problem with the whole video is that they only scratch the surface and dismiss the whole system, just because it might not work for companies and some people get different results. There are a lot of aspects that could lead to a different result, like bias of the test creator, people not really knowing themselves, changing their behavior from time to time or being in the middle of two traits. Not to mention the complete ignorance of the cognitive functions.
    Leisurely > Sensitive > Solitary
    Si / Fi / Fe
    Johari / Nohari / Tumblr
    Likes Xann liked this post

Quote Originally Posted by Null View Post
    I don't necessarily see them as invalid. I don't doubt that 50% of the people who did the test twice got different results, my results also change every time I do. My problem with the whole video is that they only scratch the surface and dismiss the whole system, just because it might not work for companies and some people get different results. There are a lot of aspects that could lead to a different result, like bias of the test creator, people not really knowing themselves, changing their behavior from time to time or being in the middle of two traits. Not to mention the complete ignorance of the cognitive functions.
    My thoughts exactly. No theory or system should be dismissed without extensive scrutiny first.

Whenever I see one of these articles, they never mention cognitive functions, let alone other Jungian-based systems or proponents of Jungian functions who have expanded upon MBTI or taken it a step further. They can blast it for lacking any solid neuroscientific basis, but there is continual research in that area which might validate the functions as they are mapped to the brain.

That said, I have no problem with criticizing Myers Briggs as a money earning scheme aimed at people and companies who crave "self-help" materials.
    Likes Null, chubber, SearchingforPeace liked this post

MBTI
    STP

People go to psychologists to understand themselves...we seriously expect these people to be able to accurately take a test that asks them about themselves? This is my biggest issue with the tests.
    Im out, its been fun
    Likes asynartetic, Null, geedoenfj, JocktheMotie liked this post

Quote Originally Posted by Starcrash View Post
    My thoughts exactly. No theory or system should be dismissed without extensive scrutiny first.

Huh? It's the other way around. No theory or system should be accepted without extensive scrutiny first. Most theories or systems should be, for the most part, ignored until they've proven themselves.

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    ILE None

Quote Originally Posted by Poki View Post
    People go to psychologists to understand themselves...we seriously expect these people to be able to accurately take a test that asks them about themselves? This is my biggest issue with the tests.
    No. I agree with OP I didn't read.
    The MBTI completely exaggerates positive traits in types. I feel only the entp description is accurate

On a more serious note: the mbti is OF COURSE not hard science. But for some people it's an uncanny description of their overall personality, strengths and weaknesses.

I distrust 'special snowflake' test results usually as they make me think of astrology. (okey now the video talks about it. yeah astrology too. anyway).

Oh no. Now they're going into 'BUT WE'RE ALL SO COMPLEX AND ALL UNIQUE AND SPECIAL'

godammit this is boring

That's horse crap. you can't base anything on that. It's that pernicious belief that we can all win the world cup, and how dare someone compare us to someone else or say we're not all just as precious etc. people are different, we all know it, we all admit it ... until it hurts someone's feelings.
    They are doing the exact same thing they say the MBTI does: assign positive traits to people (oh how mysterious and complex we all are: so no system can apply to me because I'm magic) and skip on the negative (yes someone who tests ENTJ will on average earn more money than an INFP, there are reasons for that, based on personality)

The mbti is far from perfect, yet it does work for alot of people. I mean it's pretty simple: if you cluster answers in groups it is to be expected people who answer in the same way are more likely to have things in common than people who's answer are the opposite. Try to answer the opposite of what you want to answer and see if it ressembles you in anyway.

When I was in school, at some point some unfamiliar chinese astrology stuff came up. So I went to the front of the class and started asking ppl for their birth date etc. and reading them the wrong descriptions, and oh, surprise, overall people were like 'oh yeah i'm like that. That's not how the mbti works for most people. It's based on preference, not magic, in the same way that people who show the exact same preferences in movies are more likely to get along (statistically) (ok that's just my experience) than people who like diametrically opposite movies (i'm not saying it's a huge correlation but i'm pretty sure it's there)

It doesn't matter how they came up with the mbti, you could cluster people into groups the way you want and you could come up with similarities within groups and write a description and people would be like 'yeah that seems more like me than this guy who 's in that other group'.
    That extends to everything:
    an earth life form that answers "i don't like places with air' is not likely to be much like you is it.

People who tend to score similarly in IQ tests tend to have more in common ON AVERAGE than people who score way differently. Try putting 140-160 iq kid in a 90-110 iq class and ask them which group they identify with most (you don't even need to reveal the iq scores)

Put super tall people and super small people in a room, and see who's going to interact with whom the most.

Put star wars geeks and civil war reenactment people in a room... (I'd talk to the reenactment people for a bit, because I'm a curious person but u see my point)

Also if the test is so unrealiable, HOW COME YOU CAN PREDICT MBTI TYPE PRETTY RELIABLY BASED ON BIG 5 RESULTS. and correlates with intelligence, behavior, hell even mating preference etc. etc. etc. I don't think that the fact that I have to regularly beat off infjs with a stick is a coincidence. They stalk me
    etc. etc. etc. etc.
    Expression of the post modern paradox : "For the love of god, religions are so full of shit"

Theory is always superseded by Fact...
    ... In theory.

“I’d hate to die twice. It’s so boring.”
    Richard Feynman's last recorded words

"Great is the human who has not lost his childlike heart."
    Mencius (Meng-Tse), 4th century BCE
    Likes Zeno, SearchingforPeace, RobinSkye, Cygnus liked this post

Quote Originally Posted by Swivelinglight View Post
    Huh? It's the other way around. No theory or system should be accepted without extensive scrutiny first. Most theories or systems should be, for the most part, ignored until they've proven themselves.
    None should be accepted nor dismissed without scrutiny.
    Likes RobinSkye, Cygnus, Chanaynay liked this post

Google "chemtrails" Bush Did 9/11's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENtP
    Enneagram
    3w4 sp/sx

Hm. Our sacred cow. Welp:

• Psychometrics is an established field in and of itself. There's a collection of methods that can be used to devise, analyze, and validate tests; whether ranging from some self-report thing to a graded work. The field isn't exactly bunk.
    • Test-retest reliability (testing the same thing more than once and getting similar results) is huge.
    • Their understanding and interpretation of MBTI in terms of dichotomies ≠ our understanding and interpretation of MBTI in terms of JCF. It's almost as if they're measuring something different than we are.
    • So, even if the test itself is meaningless or otherwise bunk, that doesn't outright slaughter our sacred cow. It's not dead. Yet.
    • However, our JCF understanding doesn't really have much of a solid scientific base. Yet. And that's okay.

Quote Originally Posted by Swivelinglight View Post
    This.
    Quote Originally Posted by EcK View Post
    I feel only the entp description is accurate
    No, it isn't. They give us too little credit. We're far better than we're portrayed. In every aspect. Ever.
    J. Scott Crothers
    aka "Bush Did 9/11"
    Founder, Truthtology, est. 1952
    Prophet and Channel, God Almighty
    Author, the Holy scripture Elevenetics

"Just as jet fuel cannot melt steel beams, so too cannot the unshakeable pillars of Truthtology ever be shaken, whether by man, nature, or evidence."
    - Elevenetics
    Likes Hard, EJCC, estorm liked this post