• Michael Pierce's profile description of the INFP
    Likes asynartetic liked this post

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/so

Quote Originally Posted by highlander View Post
    • Michael Pierce's profile description of the INFP
    Here's the textual version (for those like me prefer to read). More on the tone (and comparison with the INFJ description) later.
    Likes OrangeAppled liked this post

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ILI Ni

Quote Originally Posted by Seymour View Post
    Here's the textual version (for those like me prefer to read). More on the tone (and comparison with the INFJ description) later.
    I think his profiles are really good.

Please provide feedback on my Nohari and Johari Window by clicking here: Nohari/Johari

Tri-type 639

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEI Ni

I like this comment:
    You could say that they are more receptive towards the outside world and more aggressive towards their inner experience.
    Introverted "judging" isnt really like judging at all. Jung's term "rational" is much better. It is not about decision making so much as a way of arranging or ordering things.

As usual though, Fi is described as the common results of its thinking, as opposed to describing its process.

. Introverted feeling is individualistic: it has deep, personal passions and convictions that it holds to despite outside opposition, and it greatly values the right to individual freedom of expression and being true to oneself.
    This is wrong also, as sentiment and desire is closer to emotion than rational valuation.

Fi is sentiment or desire
    But bravo to the author for even hinting INFJs arent perfect.

First, the INFJ is problematically unaware that their intuitions are entirely subjective.
    The following, though, is condescending to INFPs, and I find this statement that is supposed to resonate with INFPs to be barf inducing. INFPs are regulalry described as life-long truth seekers, so it doesnt really add up either.

The INFP is more likely to resonate with the statement “It doesn’t matter what you believe, as long as you put all of your heart and soul into believing it.”
    The second difference between the two types is that the INFJ’s Fe gives up their own personal desires in favor of a common good or greater cause.
    LOL. Riiiiight. Try "they may put on an appearance of giving up themselves in order to manipulate others to act in service of their own ego, aka, some Ni vision they mistake as an objective truth."

The description of the way Si manifests in INFPs is good though, as too many take it to an extreme and make INFPs sound like Si-dom.

The whole cavern thing was super cheesy. I think the author just liked to, uh, hear himself write that.
    Last edited by OrangeAppled; 05-28-2015 at 11:37 AM. Reason: typos...still blaming my ipad for it
    Often a star was waiting for you to notice it. A wave rolled toward you out of the distant past, or as you walked under an open window, a violin yielded itself to your hearing. All this was mission. But could you accomplish it? (Rilke)

INFP | 4w5 sp/sx | RLUEI - Primary Inquisitive | Tritype is tripe
    Likes asynartetic, PeaceBaby liked this post

Away with the fairies Southern Kross's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 so/sp

I watched this a while ago. I quite like his descriptions in general because they go beyond the usual, trite observations, even if they are a little flawed (but let's face it, which ones aren't). He has some good insights and puts certain attributes in interesting lights.

Quote Originally Posted by OrangeAppled View Post
    The whole cavern thing was super cheesy. I think the author just liked to, uh, hear himself write that.
    I didn't mind the analogy so much. I was more bothered by the fact that he only related that idea to self-examination. He missed the additional level (which is kinda the crux of the whole thing too) where the fruits of introspection are used as for insight into the behaviour of others. A INFP doesn't look inward just to 'find themselves' - it's also to reveal truths about the human condition, in order to understand and make sense of the people around them.
    INFP 4w5 so/sp

I've dreamt in my life dreams that have stayed with me ever after, and changed my ideas;
    they've gone through and through me, like wine through water, and altered the colour of my mind.

- Emily Bronte
    Likes OrangeAppled, PeaceBaby liked this post

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEI Ni

Quote Originally Posted by Southern Kross View Post
    I didn't mind the analogy so much. I was more bothered by the fact that he only related that idea only to self-examination. He missed the additional level (which is kinda the crux of the whole thing too) where the fruits of introspection are used as for insight into the behaviour of others. A INFP doesn't look inward just to 'find themselves' - it's also to reveal truths about the human condition, in order to understand and make sense of the people around them.
    YES. After reading the INFJ description (since the trend now is to tack on INFJ comparisons to ensure INFPs dont go confusing themselves with the demi-gods), this absence was really glaring.

As usual, it has the implication that Fi is literally about the self, instead of the self as a prototype for human, and that truths about the human condition are derived from exploring the self and determining what is fundamental human experience vs individual, and even more importantly, how the individual experience almost always connects to the fundamental human experience. This is the main reason why an INFP even makes a case that individual feelings have merit, because they recognize the fundamental value they stem from which pretty much all people experience in some form. Resistance from outside influence is in order to determine what is timeless and truly fundamental and not just a product of a specific culture or environment.

So INFJs get described as empathetic, sacrificing the self for an ideal (what happened to the INFP's notorious "causes"?), having insight into others' experience and being able to give uncannily accurate advice without having experienced anything like it themselves, and being good at teaching. All of this applies to many an INFP, but they make INFP sound like people who just laze about dreaming of "how to be true to themselves" (oh how such phrases make me gag).

I still dont like the cave thing because I feel like there is some attempt to try and appeal to a perception that INFPs want to be seen as super speshial magical unicorns or something (although we are magical lovers (TM) ). I know that is heavy reading between the lines, but it is just eye-roll inducing for me.
    Last edited by OrangeAppled; 05-28-2015 at 11:39 AM. Reason: more typos
    Often a star was waiting for you to notice it. A wave rolled toward you out of the distant past, or as you walked under an open window, a violin yielded itself to your hearing. All this was mission. But could you accomplish it? (Rilke)

INFP | 4w5 sp/sx | RLUEI - Primary Inquisitive | Tritype is tripe
    Likes Southern Kross, PeaceBaby liked this post

I really liked this profile. It strayed a little farther from the typical portrayal of the INFP as the stereotypical introverted hippie crybaby.

However, I would like to find an article on the type that doesn't mention INFJ. Lately it seems like almost every article, video and description about the type has to have at least one comparison of the two.

Agree that the cavern analogy is super cheesy. If anything, it is the unseen, unexplored world beyond my 5 senses that I want to explore, not some imaginary cavern within my mind. Of course, to some extent, I view reality as an extension of the mind, so I suppose that works.

I disagreed with this part:

The INFP wouldn’t have it any other way; they want to explore their own passions, not somebody else’s, or some collective passion or truth out in the dreary world of mobs and cruelty.
    That hasn't always been true for me. Some of my greatest "passions" or interests have been assimilated from others.

Also not sure about this:

The INFP is more likely to resonate with the statement “It doesn’t matter what you believe, as long as you put all of your heart and soul into believing it.”
    I don't identify with that statement. That makes INFPs sound like unquestioning people of faith (not necessarily in the religious sense of the word)

This one, however, did resonate:

their identity is a valuable possession, and they have no interest in being melted down until they are unrecognizable from others.
    If anything, I think tacking on the bits about INFJ differences might serve to further confuse some people, particularly those new to Jungian typology.
    Likes PeaceBaby, OrangeAppled, Ghost liked this post

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    937 so/sx

Michael Pierce self-identifies as an INFJ, so from that vantage point, considering the bias contained within his own subjective framework, and that this particular bias can be troublesome in seeing the purpose of Fi (since I've learned over time that what I call Fi space is not perceived by Ni-Fe) -- the description does do better than others trying to come at it from the perspective of another framework.

Some comments:

This means that they base their judgment criteria on subjective, inner information, while simply observing and drinking in objective information and experiences.
    I've come to realize that leading with Ji is a fully evaluative process, meaning to me that I am judging everything, every thought I have is a valuation, a placing of information within a rational, contextual framework. I mean, I think in judgements. I don't look at the tree outside my window and just drink it in as a singular piece of objective data (tree) - in a split second, I've evaluated an entire web of value that surrounds and defines the tree - species, native or non-native, place on the aesthetic spectrum, place on the health spectrum, how it makes me "feel" spectrum, emotional information if any, potential symbolism, potential meaning, potential purpose, contribution to the elements surrounding it, how the house it stands beside is impacted by this tree, what kind of people might plant a tree like this etc etc ... it all branches out like a web of value, significance, quality, relevance, worth. Everything that I see and feel is appraised in this evaluative way, with the awareness that this information is both objective and subjective in nature.

The only times I can remember gazing at the world without automatic evaluation were when I was very young or when I've been ill, in hospital or during moments of convalescence.

The bias of a Pi lead is where one sees the inflow of information as "simply observing, drinking in".

Introverted feeling is individualistic: it has deep, personal passions and convictions that it holds to despite outside opposition, and it greatly values the right to individual freedom of expression and being true to oneself.
    We hold to convictions because they represent universal human truths to us at any given point in time of our understanding, not a singular self-absorbed perspective.

I am continually striving to refine this universal definition of humanity as well, am seeking the framework that we all are contained within, to feel the very edges and see how we are all connected together (because we are, now matter how disparate we appear.) Only through a certain freedom of expression can this place be found and explored. This is why we value freedom, because that value permits the existence of a system that by definition allows the reality of each one of us to exist and is a place that can be plumbed to the depths.

First, the INFJ is problematically unaware that their intuitions are entirely subjective.
    I love that this sentence is only on the INFP page, you don't see mention of it on the INFJ description, would cause more uproar. "What, our deep intuitions that feel so TRUE are SUBJECTIVE?" hehehe!

This is not so for the INFP, who is fully aware that they are exploring their own cave, and not reality.
    Well, I am exploring all of our caves, mine isn't nearly so interesting, because this collective inner realm is the place that potentially has the answer to amassing the shape framework of "human". The more I put myself out in the world, the more people I connect with, the more people I "feel", the richer and closer I get, even though sometimes it helps me become aware and in awe of how much more there is to know.

So, more accurate to say I am exploring all of our subjective realities, in the idealistic vision that I could create something objective from it, yet I remain acutely aware that subjective + subjective + subjective ≠ objective.

I suppose you could say though that the ideal, the dream is that subjective + subjective + subjective + subjective + subjective + subjective + subjective --> objective. The more you add, the closer you get to something that approaches real.

(The real, the answer to this, although appearing complex, is undoubtedly something very, very simple.)

Anyway, I could go on, but I want to get work done here today too.

Overall, the definition fails to make a direct hit because it really doesn't see into us. But I've seen way worse descriptions of INFP.
    "Remember always that you not only have the right to be an individual, you have an obligation to be one."
    Eleanor Roosevelt

"When people see some things as beautiful,
    other things become ugly.
    When people see some things as good,
    other things become bad."
    Lao Tzu, Tao Te Ching

Enneagram
    9w8

Are there not any INFP descriptions of INFPs? I mean some place where an INFP describes and INFP? Perhaps, only an INFP can more accurately describe the functional interaction of an INFP. I mean it seems like most of the descriptions are put together by INTJs or INFJs. I've found one ENTP-run site, but the majority of typologists that I come across online are Ni dominants. The closest thing I've seen is Mike from NF Geeks who is an ENFP, but still, I don't think this is quite the same thing. I'd really be interested in hearing an INFP describe INFPs and then I'd be interested in hearing what other INFPs thought about it.

Oh, I have just now found this blog. INFP Description | INFP Blog INFP Description | Thoughts on the INFP Personality Type from an INFP

Any thoughts?
    A student said to his master: "You teach me fighting, but you talk about peace. How do you reconcile the two?" The master replied: "It is better to be a warrior in a garden than to be a gardener in a war." - unknown/Chinese

http://www.typologycentral.com/forum...=61024&page=14
    Likes asynartetic liked this post

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    937 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Ene View Post
    Any thoughts?
    The issue is more that he's declarative. Being declarative is ok if you get it mostly right. So in this thread, I would say that we use the clarification of information to ascertain whether or not this person, who in publishing descriptions on all of the types and establishing himself as a sort of authority is actually a good resource of unbiased perspective to talk about each type. You could say that having no bias is impossible, and that's true, yet if you look back at my post above you'll find the answer to that there.

subjective + subjective + subjective + subjective + subjective + subjective + subjective --> objective

Not very efficient to take the time to collect enough data, no. Problematic too for any Je person to talk about Ji, and vice versa (naturally).

I've read all of his descriptions in the past, and to me, some are closer than others. I talk about INFP because I believe myself in a position to best evaluate his accuracy. The more INFPs there are that don't feel it representative increases the probable accuracy / inaccuracy of the judgement / "observations".

I have read the INFP blog in the past and skimmed it now and what he writes about being INFP resonates with me to the point where I believe his self-typing since I recognize the evoked feelings and thought patterns contained within it. The INFP blog guy doesn't place himself as an authority to talk about all types, however, therefore probing his self-evaluation serves less purpose.
    "Remember always that you not only have the right to be an individual, you have an obligation to be one."
    Eleanor Roosevelt

"When people see some things as beautiful,
    other things become ugly.
    When people see some things as good,
    other things become bad."
    Lao Tzu, Tao Te Ching