User Tag List

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ILI Ni

Default Video: The INTP Functions

• INTP describes their cognitive functions. I think this is really pretty good.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9w8
    Socionics
    INTj

Not bad. "Passable", as my father would say. However, she does almost describe Fe as a means of gathering information which isn't right and it's another view of a young INTP which means it lacks nuance but perhaps that adds to the clarity. Again I worry about the instinct to separate people based on type instead of explaining them.
    Isn't it time for a colourful metaphor?

Wake, See, Sing, Dance Cellmold's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Xander View Post
    Not bad. "Passable", as my father would say. However, she does almost describe Fe as a means of gathering information which isn't right and it's another view of a young INTP which means it lacks nuance but perhaps that adds to the clarity. Again I worry about the instinct to separate people based on type instead of explaining them.
    I don't think type can explain people. It's putting category to pattern, but it isn't explaining the source of the pattern. Jung never got beyond heuristics, his own heuristics.
    'One of (Lucas) Cranach's masterpieces, discussed by (Joseph) Koerner, is in it's self-referentiality the perfect expression of left-hemisphere emptiness and a precursor of post-modernism. There is no longer anything to point to beyond, nothing Other, so it points pointlessly to itself.' - Iain McGilChrist

Suppose a tree fell down, Pooh, when we were underneath it?"
    "Suppose it didn't," said Pooh, after careful thought.
    Piglet was comforted by this.
    - A.A. Milne.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9w8
    Socionics
    INTj

Quote Originally Posted by AffirmitiveAnxiety View Post
    I don't think type can explain people. It's putting category to pattern, but it isn't explaining the source of the pattern. Jung never got beyond heuristics, his own heuristics.
    True enough to doesn't give the answers but I do believe it provides a language to help understanding, which I consider more important than flat out knowledge in this case. Being able to communicate why an INTP may seem emotionless to others and what to look for if you want to be able to read an INTP, these are helpful things for those who have to deal with INTPs.

Of course the counter problem is that once you think you've got an understanding someone comes along who challenges that concept. This is what should prevent people from forming boxes for types but I've seen a lot of knee jerk reactions to instead try to look at a different type to ascribe instead of understanding the person in front of them.

I think that once you consider type before considering the person, you've just run off at a tangent.
    Isn't it time for a colourful metaphor?