• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Video: ENFPs And Being Lazy

Avocado

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I was just wondering what it was about my post that prompted your response.

I do think that's a valuable realization for a lot of people to have. Improving external circumstances to make them fit just "right" isn't necessarily going to make them feel contented. The feeling of something always being wrong is so internal and ingrained, sometimes. It's easy to overcompensate in the other direction though and accept that everything is all right and is going to work out just fine when it's just an easy way to avoid confronting genuine issues.

I still don't know how we got here, lol.

My mother was similar.

Doctor Cringelord

MBTI Type
I
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Isn't laziness and procrastination more or less a xxxP thing in general? Meaning we can be organized and punctual but it usually takes a lot more work for us than our J counterparts.

I'll take a snapshot of my cubicle some time to illustrate this point.

Not to say the video wasn't right about ENFPs, for the most part.

HongDou

navigating
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Isn't laziness and procrastination more or less a xxxP thing in general? Meaning we can be organized and punctual but it usually takes a lot more work for us than our J counterparts.

I think it's not as type-related as people make it out to be. I know an INFJ (family friend) who procrastinates to the last possible minute - it irritated his mom for years up until this year when he left for college. His older ISTJ brother on the other hand finishes everything like days or weeks in advance. The only types I've known to be organized by nature are EJ types. And even then I know some of those type who procrastinate - I think it's just that they're more aware of how they could be using their time efficiently so it bothers them more.

Ps are probably known for putting things off more because we like going with the flow and moving without answering to a schedule. And P types probably do procrastinate more than Js on average.

Doctor Cringelord

MBTI Type
I
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I think it's not as type-related as people make it out to be. I know an INFJ (family friend) who procrastinates to the last possible minute - it irritated his mom for years up until this year when he left for college. His older ISTJ brother on the other hand finishes everything like days or weeks in advance. The only types I've known to be organized by nature are EJ types. And even then I know some of those type who procrastinate - I think it's just that they're more aware of how they could be using their time efficiently so it bothers them more.

Ps are probably known for putting things off more because we like going with the flow and moving without answering to a schedule. And P types probably do procrastinate more than Js on average.

In my case, I used to put off school work (term papers, etc) until the last possible minute, but I felt I actually got better results then if I finished something in advance. Perhaps the sense of urgency and anxiety over getting it done at the last minute actually contributed to better work.

senza tema

nunc rosa cras fex
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
In my case, I used to put off school work (term papers, etc) until the last possible minute, but I felt I actually got better results then if I finished something in advance. Perhaps the sense of urgency and anxiety over getting it done at the last minute actually contributed to better work.

I tell myself this, too. I'm very prolific under pressure. Urgency is an excellent motivator.

As to whether or not it's better work -- well, finished work is better than unfinished work, so yes, but I have never actually done anything on time, so I can't vouch 100% for the fact that it would be worse than work completed in a hurry.

If I'm completely honest with myself, I do think it might be better ... but until the day comes when I choose doing things on time instead of putting them off till the last minute and then completing it them in a panicked coffee-fueled rush ... I'll never know. Haha.

Starry

Ummmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm... so I don't get the vibe this chick is an actual ENFP. And I'm feeling a little weird about posting this amidst all this meaningful discussion. But because I actually am an ENFP I was kinda having that strange feeling like I was lying by not saying this haha.

I make allowance for a wide variety of expressions for each type and yet something's not jiving here. I almost want to say she is a high Ne using ESTJ but I really don't know.

sorry guys ha.

Galena

Silver and Lead
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
When I was younger, I procrastinated on my obligations when they had nothing to do with what I cared about or identified with (unfortunately, considering my aptitudes, that disparity between what activities are meaningful to me and which actually keep me alive and the rent paid may always be there to one degree or another), but never dared actually complete something late, no matter how much caffeine it took to meet the deadline in the end. Also, depression.

HongDou

navigating
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Ummmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm... so I don't get the vibe this chick is an actual ENFP. And I'm feeling a little weird about posting this amidst all this meaningful discussion. But because I actually am an ENFP I was kinda having that strange feeling like I was lying by not saying this haha.

I make allowance for a wide variety of expressions for each type and yet something's not jiving here. I almost want to say she is a high Ne using ESTJ but I really don't know.

sorry guys ha.

i don't think it takes away from the discussion or what she's saying by you saying that. :thinking: but yeah she does seem ESxJish to me

HongDou

navigating
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
When I was younger, I procrastinated on my obligations when they had nothing to do with what I cared about or identified with (unfortunately, considering my aptitudes, that disparity between what activities are meaningful to me and which actually keep me alive and the rent paid may always be there to one degree or another), but never dared actually complete something late, no matter how much caffeine it took to meet the deadline in the end. Also, depression.

hmm, i was kinda like that too though. but the difference between me and what you bolded in that quote are that i shrugged off how more organized everything could be and just sort of went for it. i don't like handing in things late because i know it gives takes away even more of time i could be spending doing whatever. but what i used to do in high school (which doesnt fly in college now) is fake being sick so i had an excuse not to finish it until even later. :alttongue:

Cellmold

Wake, See, Sing, Dance

This is a good point, I think I would say I am one of those procrastinating EJ types. I think it can often have something to do with the development of the secondary function and I tend to subscribe to Lenore Thompson's view of it.

The suggestion being that a person has to consciously engage with the world in a way that develops that second function and more importantly; learn how to train it on either perception or judgement of themselves. This grants a stability and introspection to a person.
However I think it's important to note the difference with regards to the procrastination of, let's say, an ENFP and an ESFJ.

Fi in an ENFP will help them examine what they really value and how they stand amongst that value, along with picking out the Ne notions more in line with meeting those values. However this probably won't stop procrastination which, as you pointed out, is more natural to P types, in this case Ne is a big factor in that natural.

With ESFJs Si brings the structure and security of the familiar and comfortable, allowing them to better organise themselves and makes their judgement more discerning and less arbitrary. It does of course depend on what those sensory impressions were, but generally speaking they induce a drive to pull structure into an environment by bringing things in line with those impressions.

Fe > Ne without that structure is a flighty nightmare of jumping from group to group for attention and changing moods, which is also lacking a grounding element towards some form of reality.
This can result in an ESFJ looking superficially like an ExFP type at first glance.

hjgbujhghg

I am
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Okay... 1:38 , when she started to sing I thought oh :doh: , but then I gave her chance just to talk for a few more seconds ... ah the message of the video might be good, but I am sorry, her expression is kinda getting on my nerves

Starry

i don't think it takes away from the discussion or what she's saying by you saying that. :thinking: but yeah she does seem ESxJish to me

I think the entire thread should probably be trashed. <-haha no.
I probably should have elaborated by saying that her message seemed fairly accurate...

This isn't what caused me to doubt her ENFP status (although I'm assuming it contributed to it on some subconscious level)... okay, how do I begin to explain this...

So, I've seen this here before even... A new "untyped" (but SJ) member shows-up...they have an airy, breezy communication style, which, as everyone knows, automatically means they couldn't possibly be any other type other than NFP. Over a short span of time other members convince them they are NFP...and the brand new "NFP member" internalizes the "NFP story"...and starts to reflect that back in their posts.

But there's a two-dimensional quality to the telling of this story...just like in the video. They've got the story *right*... but there's something missing or being taken for granted. Like, with this topic..."laziness?" Shit, the emotional wounds/scarring alone that every true ENFP carries with them having been told their entire lives that they are "not living-up to their potential"...that they have their "head in the clouds"...and that they may "never amount to anything" because they are "so damn lazy" could function as an ENFP calling card of sorts.

The most extroverted...the most e7y...the most positive outlook...the most so/sx...the most 728...the most Chanaynayish ENFPs among us can't hide this wound which will have festered into fear and shame. And we will carry it with us to the grave. This woman did not possess these scars and it was obvious. And it's not that an ENFP can't come to some kind of terms with the aspects of their personality everyone and everything nailed the adjective "lazy" to... but the scars will always be there.

HisKittyKat

MBTI Type
XNFP
Enneagram
4w5
ha, this chick is so NF :D....and she nails a lot of points that other types takes out of context, especially the lazy part :).....Tis is exactly why ENFPs are said to be the most Introverted extroverts, not because they are lazy, because they don't have near the energy that a typical extrovert has. ENTP for example focus on goals and careers and forward moving, ENFP like INFPs don't desire success, nor do we spend a lot of time focusing on goals. We're happy to be left alone to do whatever we want, we don't like social rules nor do we adhere to what other people deem is best for us and our lifestyles. As an INFP I can relate to what she says about leisure time and waking up to having nothing to do heh. I have nothing against people who are energetic and motivated to get up and pound the pavement everyday, but please don't give me slack because I choose to life a different kind of lifestyle, a lifestyle that is much simpler without any long term planning or people telling me what should Interest me. NFP will do whatever Interest them, If it doesn't we have 0 motivation and simply won't do it. I like this video, NFPs are so much alike in so many ways.