• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Video: INFJ Communication Style

Fidelia

Iron Maiden
Staff member
MBTI Type
INFJ
That's it! I think it is true that most things that INFJs engage in have some kind of purpose or intent to them, even in leisure. The reasons Ene mentioned are a big part of the reason why I both came and remained here.

Ene

MBTI Type
iNfj
Enneagram
5w4
[MENTION=22236]YUI[/MENTION] I think those are good points and I think you are wise to move slowly. Also, keep in mind that it's not just the Fe you're dealing with in an INFJ, but her Ni is where your Fi is in the functional line-up; and those two, in my experiences, have proven to be a bigger clash point than Fi and Fe (which explains the ENFJ being a better match). Still, I maintain that we are simply wired differently. I respect and admire my INFP friends but wouldn't date or become romantically involved with one, because we would work so hard at communicating that we would constantly drain each other. I personally think that INTJs and INFPs are not usually a good match either. I agree with you that an ENFJ and INFP could be a much better match.

Edit note: I don't mind Ne riffing. Ni/Ne dominants such as INFJ and ENFP or T, can also do well. This again indicates that the gap is between Ni Dom and Fi Dom.

Ene

MBTI Type
iNfj
Enneagram
5w4
Thanks.

I realized your experience may be different. So, that is why said, in my experience. Everyone's experiences are so varied and unique.

Yep. We reached the same conclusions.

I would like to touch on the notion of consensus, mainly because I see this as a new avenue to explore in this whole learning to communicate thing. I have discovered that for me, personally, it's not about consensus. It's about efficiency. For example, you've heard the old saying that people don't care how much you know until they know how much you care? In my life I've discovered that, as a general rule (and that may be because I'm from a rural community), people are more willing to implement my ideas if they realize that I value theirs. I don't mean it like a manipulation thing, but more like "I'll give you the benefit of the doubt and hear you out, seek to understand you in hopes that in return, you'll attempt to listen to me and understand me, too." It is a more efficient use of human energy for getting things accomplished. Fe brings concepts out of the abstract realm of Ni and into the physical realm of people. Fe is just the chosen mode of transportation. I think INFJs learn, over time, to gage the responses of others, build a database and predict an outcome. In a lot of ways, INFJs are very Vulcan-like when it comes to their own feelings. As we begin to understand ourselves, we start to corral our feelings and keep them in-check very much like the fictious aliens. So, our personal feelings are there. We do have internalized feelings but they are housed, compartmentalized. I am an idea person, task oriented with the focused intent on bringing abstract ideas into the concrete realm to put into motion concepts that will create something useful to humans in a tangible way. Yet, I'm also people focused, because it's the little pieces that make up the big picture and if al little piece is askew then the whole picture could be in trouble.

So Ni forms the plan in an abstract reality. Fe is the vehicle that delivers it to the outside world and allows us to communicate it. Ti analyzes it, refines it and prioritises it's implementation process.

Southern Kross

Away with the fairies
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
[MENTION=7842]Z Buck McFate[/MENTION] and [MENTION=7111]fidelia[/MENTION] both your posts are good reads and I identified. I just wanted to jump in and say that I've been guilty of leaving particular threads or not engaging in them at all simply because I lacked the mental energy to do so, but that's not always selfish. It's prioritizing. Like fidelia, my free time is precious and a large part of it goes to reinergizing. If I engage in a discussion and remain engaged it's because I'm either playing around, which i often do on here, to relax my overworked brain, or it's because I feel it is somehow helping someone, including myself, to learn.
I just want to say I know how that feels too, and I'm glad you guys are showing some resilience and pressing on in hopes of a positive outcomes. It surprises me, fidela, that you see such disagreement as a sign of your thought process being too much at odds with that person to be worth it. It must be difficult to continue on through all that.

I often give up on conversations here when I get irritated with a person's post and argument style. I just find myself no longer caring enough about the subject matter to even bother continuing. It's worse when, on top of all that, I get cornered by a Pi expression of perspective, and even though it seems so inaccurate to me, I struggle to find the counter-argument within myself. There's something like kryptonite in it that defeats my ability to think about the issue and discuss it clearly, and this just makes me want to walk away. I imagine there's an equivalent for you guys.

I do make a conscious choice not to use the ignore option for posters I don't like. I don't want to censor people that disagree with me or piss me off. It can be friggin hard to deal with, but I think that it's better for me in the long run.

Fidelia

Iron Maiden
Staff member
MBTI Type
INFJ
[MENTION=5871]Southern Kross[/MENTION] - I was thinking some more about it what you wrote. (Funny how it helps me define what I think by having the chance to bounce it off someone else.). I think the issue of disagreement is primarily uncomfortable to me when the objective of the person disagreeing is unclear to me ( they say they are not trying to persuade, help me, inform, etc), so it just seems hostile, or when the person doesn't seem to be on the same "team" as me (there doesn't seem to be goodwill or starting from some common ground). You're an excellent example of someone who may experience the world quite differently from me, but is able to communicate those differences in a way that remains productive and welcoming. I know for a fact that I am not nearly as good at doing that for the flip side.

One of the ideas I've been presented with here is that to more Ne and Te users, neither the person's manner of communicating, nor their "qualifications" (track record, trustedness, expertise) are nearly as important as the idea themselves. I can see pros and cons to this. Because this is one of the primary ways I would determine who I could trust or should listen to, even when I know I need to be more open, it is hard for me to know then how I would go about doing so effectively without losing my way of navigation.

Eilonwy

Vulnerability
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
INFJ Communication:
Regarding INFJ communication, what I'm hearing is not only "this is how INFJs communicate" but "this is what we absolutely need in order to communicate". To my knowledge, here at TypoC, INFJs are the only type, as a group, to assert that there is a list of criteria that must be met in order for them to be able to communicate. Other type groups might ask for accommodations, but I haven't seen them saying that they aren't able to communicate if they aren't accommodated. Individuals might refuse to talk to other individuals for whatever reasons, but they don't claim that their reasons are representative of their whole type, or say they can't communicate at all because of those reasons.

So, what is the community's responsibility towards a whole type as a group, since it seems that INFJs are asserting that they have special needs when it comes to communication? Does the community owe one type more than the equal opportunity that every other type has to state their views and opinions? If I have a disability, is it necessary for everyone to handicap themselves in order to accommodate me, or is it enough that the opportunity and the means are there for me to participate as fully as I'm able?

And there's this (bolding is mine):
One thing about our forum that is fundamentally different than other forums is that it is centered on interaction across types. The other forums focus more heavily on facilitating interaction within types. So, INFJs interact with INFJs. INTJs interact with INTJs. That's the culture they foster, even if the forum has all different kinds of types. We're different. I see this as a positive thing. We get to see how these inter-type conflicts play out.

I know some people don't really like conflict but we can learn from it. It's useful at times. It can be a good thing.

Authentic Voice:
As for natural or authentic voice, I would define that as the tone of a post, which is separate from the content of a post. I've seen individuals of other types ask that their tone be overlooked and the content of their posts addressed, but the INFJ criteria for communication seems to be indicating that the content doesn't matter as much as the tone being acceptable. Or perhaps both tone and content have to be acceptable? In that case, that's not communication, that's a script.

INFJs leaving:
Can anyone post a factual number of how many INFJs have left specifically because of communication issues, and what percentage that is of the membership who identify as INFJ? I'm willing to bet that the percentage is small.

highlander

Administrator
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Just saw the post above. Personalitypage.com has some interesting material about what goes wrong with the various personality types and how to fix such problems.

Using the example of INFJs, Personalitypage.com says that Fe is the bridge between internal Ni and the outside world. Thus:

--In an immature INFJ, Fe tends to be used in service to Ni: Fe is directed outward at the world and is used to shut out or keep at bay those parts of the world that conflict with Ni and its conclusions. As a result, Ni becomes increasingly isolated and goes awry.

--In order to achieve greater maturity, a more effective use of Fe would be to direct Fe inward and use it to judge Ni and its conclusions and bring them more into correspondence with the outside world. That would bring Ni under the sway of the same "reality checks" that the rest of the world has to obey.

Here's the link: INFJ Personal Growth

And by the way, don't shoot the messenger and start arguing with me about it. I'm just repeating what they say at Personalitypage.com. :)

Naturally, the same would apply to INTJs, with Te substituting for Fe: INTJ Personal Growth

I have heard exactly that same thing a out INTJs re Te and Ni. That makes sense.

Ene

MBTI Type
iNfj
Enneagram
5w4
Just saw the post above. Personalitypage.com has some interesting material about what goes wrong with the various personality types and how to fix such problems.

Using the example of INFJs, Personalitypage.com says that Fe is the bridge between internal Ni and the outside world. Thus:

--In an immature INFJ, Fe tends to be used in service to Ni: Fe is directed outward at the world and is used to shut out or keep at bay those parts of the world that conflict with Ni and its conclusions. As a result, Ni becomes increasingly isolated and goes awry.

--In order to achieve greater maturity, a more effective use of Fe would be to direct Fe inward and use it to judge Ni and its conclusions and bring them more into correspondence with the outside world. That would bring Ni under the sway of the same "reality checks" that the rest of the world has to obey.

Here's the link: INFJ Personal Growth

And by the way, don't shoot the messenger and start arguing with me about it. I'm just repeating what they say at Personalitypage.com. :)

Naturally, the same would apply to INTJs, with Te substituting for Fe: INTJ Personal Growth

BANG!

Just kidding.

This was helpful info (and, wow, the INTJ and INFJ pages read a lot alike.) thanks for providing the links.

Ene

MBTI Type
iNfj
Enneagram
5w4
I just want to say I know how that feels too, and I'm glad you guys are showing some resilience and pressing on in hopes of a positive outcomes....

I often give up on conversations here when I get irritated with a person's post and argument style. I just find myself no longer caring enough about the subject matter to even bother continuing. It's worse when, on top of all that, I get cornered by a Pi expression of perspective, and even though it seems so inaccurate to me, I struggle to find the counter-argument within myself. There's something like kryptonite in it that defeats my ability to think about the issue and discuss it clearly, and this just makes me want to walk away. I imagine there's an equivalent for you guys.

I do make a conscious choice not to use the ignore option for posters I don't like. I don't want to censor people that disagree with me or piss me off. It can be friggin hard to deal with, but I think that it's better for me in the long run.

Thank you, Southern Kross. I have seen that cornering thing happen at times to various participants.

I think we do have our equivalent of kryptonite.(I like how you phrased that, btw) For me, it's overload, too much info coming in at one time and I can't process it all and therefore, perhaps misinterpret the poster's meaning or intent.

Z Buck McFate

Pepperidge Farm remembers.
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
It's worse when, on top of all that, I get cornered by a Pi expression of perspective, and even though it seems so inaccurate to me, I struggle to find the counter-argument within myself. There's something like kryptonite in it that defeats my ability to think about the issue and discuss it clearly, and this just makes me want to walk away. I imagine there's an equivalent for you guys.

Your posts about this have been helpful (I remember you bringing this up before). I wasn't aware this was even a thing until you'd pointed it out.

Seymour

Vaguely Precise
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
INFJ Communication:
Regarding INFJ communication, what I'm hearing is not only "this is how INFJs communicate" but "this is what we absolutely need in order to communicate". To my knowledge, here at TypoC, INFJs are the only type, as a group, to assert that there is a list of criteria that must be met in order for them to be able to communicate. Other type groups might ask for accommodations, but I haven't seen them saying that they aren't able to communicate if they aren't accommodated. Individuals might refuse to talk to other individuals for whatever reasons, but they don't claim that their reasons are representative of their whole type, or say they can't communicate at all because of those reasons.

That's an interesting observation. To be honest, when I read Fidelia's list of how to successfully interact above, I felt a kind of despair of being able to interact positively with INFJs over time. I'm not going to be absolutely consistent over time; I've gotten better about being more consistent as I've gotten older, but it remains a real balancing act for me. It's a little like trying to step on a lump in the carpet.

I just want to say I know how that feels too, and I'm glad you guys are showing some resilience and pressing on in hopes of a positive outcomes. It surprises me, fidela, that you see such disagreement as a sign of your thought process being too much at odds with that person to be worth it. It must be difficult to continue on through all that.

I certainly feel like I also tend to bow out of threads if they become too unpleasantly conflict-laden. At times I've avoided the majority of the forum, because of the level of ongoing vitriol. I feel like it's been less bad of late generally, but it does seem like more than a couple of INFJs feel themselves to be particularly picked-upon as a group. It would be a positive thing if real discussions could happen without people feeling unfairly singled out (either as individuals or as a group). Still, being human means that some level of miscommunication and irritation is going to happen some percentage of time.

As far as kryptonite, I feel like I can tend to be "future blind" in a particular kind of way, in that I can tend to avoid seeing the outcome of events as inevitable. I also tend to be bad at seeing long term subtle trends across interactions and contexts. I think the up site for Perceivers is being more aware of the "instantaneous momentum," and being able to tune in accordance with that perception.

Conversely, I feel like INFJs have a much better handle on the momentum of relationships and interactions (both with individuals and groups). However, I think they struggle more with moment to moment variations.

Sometimes I get the sense the INFJs experience themselves as each piloting tiny, unstable boats across a deep and mysterious sea. To make matters worse, each person has a storm waiting to be released within. The INFJs therefore want their own storms contained (both for themselves and others on the waters), and want neighbors upon the water who are willing to do likewise. They want neighbors who can help fish them out of the water when they capsize, and get them dried and on course as soon as may be.

INFPs, on the other hand, tend to be swimming around in the driving rain remarking to those within earshot, "Swimming in a storm is awesome! Don't you just LOVE a good storm?!?" I fear it comes across as total madness to the INFJs.

[As an aside, the advice for INFP growth isn't too dissimilar than the one for INFJ growth: one has to let reality and different perspectives in. It seems like we are two of the most idealistic types, but with differing visions of how to get to an ideal place. INFPs want each person to work toward their own goal and be respected for it, and then a chaotic but beautiful mosaic will emerge. INFJs seem to want everyone to harmoniously join forces to work toward a goal that will benefit all, creating a wondrous tapestry in which neighbor supports neighbor. (Wow, I think I need a healthy dose of cynicism after typing that paragraph. Ick!)]

Last edited:

Eilonwy

Vulnerability
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
[As an aside, the advice for INFP growth isn't too dissimilar than the one for INFJ growth: one has to let reality and different perspectives in. It seems like we are two of the most idealistic types, but with differing visions of how to get to an ideal place. INFPs want each person to work toward their own goal and be respected for it, and then a chaotic but beautiful mosaic will emerge. INFJs seem to want everyone to harmoniously join forces to work toward a goal that will benefit all, creating a wondrous tapestry in which neighbor supports neighbor. (Wow, I think I need a healthy dose of cynicism after typing that paragraph. Ick!)]

Maybe I can do the bolded for you. Idealism=/=reality. Life's a bitch and then you die.

:D

Seriously, though, idealism can be great to strive for as long as you don't fall prey to your own, or someone else's, BS.

Seymour

Vaguely Precise
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Maybe I can do the bolded for you. Idealism=/=reality. Life's a bitch and then you die.

*whew* I feel much better. Thanks! :-D

Seriously, though, idealism can be great to strive for as long as you don't fall prey to your own, or someone else's, BS.

I might say "idealism tempered with reality can be great to..." Otherwise, idealism turns into a lot of frustrated rage at people for just being ordinary flawed human beings... that's not a fun place to live.

Eilonwy

Vulnerability
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I might say "idealism tempered with reality can be great to..." Otherwise, idealism turns into a lot of frustrated rage at people for just being ordinary flawed human beings... that's not a fun place to live.

Tru dat.

Fidelia

Iron Maiden
Staff member
MBTI Type
INFJ
That's an interesting observation. To be honest, when I read Fidelia's list of how to successfully interact above, I felt a kind of despair of being able to interact positively with INFJs over time. I'm not going to be absolutely consistent over time; I've gotten better about being more consistent as I've gotten older, but it remains a real balancing act for me. It's a little like trying to step on a lump in the carpet.

I certainly feel like I also tend to bow out of threads if they become too unpleasantly conflict-laden. At times I've avoided the majority of the forum, because of the level of ongoing vitriol. I feel like it's been less bad of late generally, but it does seem like more than a couple of INFJs feel themselves to be particularly picked-upon as a group. It would be a positive thing if real discussions could happen without people feeling unfairly singled out (either as individuals or as a group). Still, being human means that some level of miscommunication and irritation is going to happen some percentage of time.

As far as kryptonite, I feel like I can tend to be "future blind" in a particularly kind of way, in that I can tend to avoid seeing the outcome of events as inevitable. I also tend to be bad at seeing long term subtle trends across interactions and contexts. I think the up site for Perceivers is being more aware of the "instantaneous momentum," and being able to tune in accordance with that perception.

Conversely, I feel like INFJs have a much better handle on the momentum of relationships and interactions (both with individuals and groups). However, I think they struggle more with moment to moment variations.

Sometimes I get the sense the INFJs experience themselves as each piloting tiny, unstable boats across a deep and mysterious sea. To make matters worse, each person has a storm waiting to be released within. The INFJs therefore want their own storms contained (both for themselves and others on the waters), and want neighbors upon the water who are willing to do likewise. They want neighbors who can help fish them out of the water when they capsize, and get them dried and on course as soon as may be.

INFPs, on the other hand, tend to be swimming around in the driving rain remarking to those within earshot, "Swimming in a storm is awesome! Don't you just LOVE a good storm?!?" I fear it comes across as total madness to the INFJs.

Seymour, I think in many ways your analogy about boats on the sea is very apt. I'm not suggesting that just because that is the way I initially react to the people around me that that is immovable or even the right way. Over the last while, I have been wrestling with how to bend, while still recognizing that the function set that was dealt is still the only one I have, but that it can be optimized. However, it is true that stability and a sense of emotional predictability is probably more needful to me than to many other types of people. Similarly, the freedom to splash and enjoy the storm without restriction is needful to other people and the trick is finding the balance between the two, especially when trying to work together.

I think perhaps for me, consensus and a group result isn't so important as some writing about Fe seems to indicate, but awareness of everyone's landscape and needs probably is important to me in the process of decision-making.

I want to make the distinction - the list I wrote was in response to highlander's question about how INFJs will best open themselves up to vulnerability and trust others. It is not and was not meant as a list of requirements for people to successfully interact with INFJs!

I of course don't represent all INFJs. I also don't expect intense closeness and intimacy with very many people at all. I recognize that even the closest of people to me are not going to be able to be everything I wish, or even that I need at times, which is why it's important to have a variety of people in my support system. It would be impossible and unrealistic for one person to be able to deliver everything. Similarly, they also need a variety of people in their's as I could not provide everything they need. On the other hand, I do believe that those factors (for someone who is seeking to become closer and who wants to see the more vulnerable side of an INFJ) are ones that might be useful to have on their radar.

I can see from many of the INFP/INFJ discussions that we approach the world very differently. For me, I would be most grateful to any type if they would give me a cheat sheet of what their priorities are, what they value most, and to give me some specific words for how best to relate to them. In short, I guess I would like scripting!!! Not in the sense of governing all interactions and outcomes, but in lighting the way for how to avoid potholes and how to make the other person feel cared for. I suppose that is why I tend to do that in my communications on this subject. It's not so much a matter of me suggesting, "You can only approach me if..." but rather, "These are hot buttons for me, which will likely result in misunderstandings and messes. Asking me specific questions that in your world would be intrusive, would be welcomed and make me feel your care. Here are some examples". I would appreciate the same from INFPs, but I sense that that simply isn't how it works and so my stating how it is for me comes off as bossy, rigid, and expecting everyone to come to me.

What I wrote was not with the intention of discouraging or judging other people, so much as opening a window to what makes me tick in the hopes that it might be of some use to someone.

I'm doing what is most natural, which is trying to clarify my reasoning or motivations and am stuck again, because I sense that that is not what is useful to the other parties, but I'm not sure how to deliver what is.

I definitely relate, Seymour, to what you say about INFJs being good with future and across time patterns, but poorer with moment to moment. My weakness in that area is probably one of the reasons why at least this INFJ feels the need for more control, more predictibility in the people I am closest to, and less emotional surprises, as I am not very good at coming up with either an accurate interpretation of the situation, or a plan for how to deal with it in real time. It's a huge problem. I don't think it is fair for others to have to accommodate that need, but at the same time, without another effective coping system in place, it is a need, not just a preference. So I guess the question is, what works most effectively to make the need for minimal turbulence less important?

Seymour

Vaguely Precise
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Thanks, [MENTION=7111]fidelia[/MENTION]... I'm mulling over a more in-depth response, but meanwhile I do appreciate what you wrote and the openness and thoughtfulness it shows. Thanks for that, and especially that we come to the table with things we didn't choose, but have to deal with anyway. It helps to hear that, since I certainly feel like that is true for me.

Eilonwy

Vulnerability
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Really, it's up to each individual how much or how little they want to bend. However, I think it's important to show that there IS a range, and that we're not just doomed to lives of anxiety, mistrust, and misunderstanding.

Southern Kross

Away with the fairies
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
[MENTION=5871]Southern Kross[/MENTION] - I was thinking some more about it what you wrote. (Funny how it helps me define what I think by having the chance to bounce it off someone else.).
That's what NFPs are good for. :) (It's depressing how rarely I get to say that :laugh:)

I think the issue of disagreement is primarily uncomfortable to me when the objective of the person disagreeing is unclear to me ( they say they are not trying to persuade, help me, inform, etc), so it just seems hostile, or when the person doesn't seem to be on the same "team" as me (there doesn't seem to be goodwill or starting from some common ground).
This makes more sense. So you need to know from the outset whether that person is "on your team"? Disagreement from someone on the same team as you is different, because they are seen as potentially facilitating some sort of progress and betterment for the team(?). Disagreement from people seemingly "on the other team" is seen as a threat and perhaps part of an attempt to bring down your own team.

One of the ideas I've been presented with here is that to more Ne and Te users, neither the person's manner of communicating, nor their "qualifications" (track record, trustedness, expertise) are nearly as important as the idea themselves. I can see pros and cons to this. Because this is one of the primary ways I would determine who I could trust or should listen to, even when I know I need to be more open, it is hard for me to know then how I would go about doing so effectively without losing my way of navigation.
Yes, there are definitely flaws in this. I've been guilty of seizing up some idea that is compelling to me without really gauging the viability of the source. I wouldn't in any way say I'm naive, but I can get temporarily carried away at times.

Thank you, Southern Kross. I have seen that cornering thing happen at times to various participants.
Just to be clear I don't think it's necessarily deliberate. It's just a way of communicating that can make it difficult for me to mentally span the conversation or even think for myself - I'm left with nothing else to say.

I think we do have our equivalent of kryptonite.(I like how you phrased that, btw) For me, it's overload, too much info coming in at one time and I can't process it all and therefore, perhaps misinterpret the poster's meaning or intent.
Is part of the difficulty that it makes it hard to wade through it all and put things back on course?

Your posts about this have been helpful (I remember you bringing this up before). I wasn't aware this was even a thing until you'd pointed it out.
I sometimes wonder if I tend to overstate it, but I do seem to think that Pi doms/aux have no clue about the degree with which Pe operates on 'instinct' (not sure if that's really the word but it will do). :D We really are just trying to figure things out as we go along and if there's something that impedes those instincts we're plain useless and can be pretty resentful about it

I totally realise that I do the same with Judgements, where I inadvertently or lazily shut down the conversation by stating things a little too decisively. I can sometimes see Fe users visibly deflate when the discussion dead-ends.

I certainly feel like I also tend to bow out of threads if they become too unpleasantly conflict-laden. At times I've avoided the majority of the forum, because of the level of ongoing vitriol.
I don't like vitriol, but I'm not as threatened by disagreement and heated debate as I used to be. It's when someone starts saying things that goes strongly against my values and/or pushes my buttons that I find it's best to get out of there. I don't get drawn into something where I'm only communicating out of anger and getting stuck in the same old BS, back-and-forth with idiots that goes nowhere - that usually ends with me more angry and frustrated than before and unable to think straight. There's so many threads on topics that I have strong beliefs about that I never post in and maybe never even look at, for fear of the emotional upheaval. The only way around it is for me to go into it and take people on like a ENTJ: cool-headed, nonchalant, irreverent, superior, and then engage in a sort of wry logic-trolling against the fools people I disagree with. This is the only way for me to do it without coming off like some shrill, table-thumping harpy.

I feel like it's been less bad of late generally, but it does seem like more than a couple of INFJs feel themselves to be particularly picked-upon as a group. It would be a positive thing if real discussions could happen without people feeling unfairly singled out (either as individuals or as a group). Still, being human means that some level of miscommunication and irritation is going to happen some percentage of time.
They have been singled out too much, yes. I think part of the problem is that the previous threads were never really resolved in a way that either the INFJs or the non-INFJs (primarily NFPs) felt was satisfactory. I felt that I learned a lot, but I can't say that the experience was cathartic.

As far as kryptonite, I feel like I can tend to be "future blind" in a particularly kind of way, in that I can tend to avoid seeing the outcome of events as inevitable. I also tend to be bad at seeing long term subtle trends across interactions and contexts. I think the up site for Perceivers is being more aware of the "instantaneous momentum," and being able to tune in accordance with that perception.

I agree.

Ene

MBTI Type
iNfj
Enneagram
5w4
[MENTION=22236]YUI[/MENTION]Oh, we don't need some sixteen different ways of talking. Nope. That would be an inefficient use of our time. What we need is assimilation into the collective. Resistance is futile. You will add to our perfection. [MENTION=8244]Eilonwy[/MENTION], our resident Borg, will assist you. Prepare for nano probe injection momentarily.

Ene

MBTI Type
iNfj
Enneagram
5w4
Ahh! Merging with the fabled "INFJ hive mind." Sounds hawt!

Haha, at very least it would be interesting. There would be instant understanding!