User Tag List

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ILI Ni

Default Video: Introverted Thinking vs Extraverted Thinking (Ti vs Te)

• An MBTI personality type video which compares and contrasts two Jungian cognitive functions: Introverted Thinking (Ti) and Extroverted Thinking (Te). I also talk about the appearances of each and how to spot them in real life.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ILI Ni

Do you agree with the description of extraverted vs. introverted thinking in that video? My perceptions of the two are as follows:

Extraverted Thinking
    - Focused on outcomes - typically end results and objective reality; e.g., does it work or doesn't it?
    - Asks is it logical? Does this thing make sense?
    - Uses measures to evaluate results - numbers, criteria, benchmarks, etc.
    - Brings facts in order to provide clarity
    - Deciding either/or - i.e. asks a question and expects a yes or no answer
    - As it is an external process, it tends to come across visibly and directly
    - Tends to focus on organizing, structuring or segmenting into parts - such as the development of sequential steps to complete an activity
    - Can come across as blunt and binary by those who don't prefer the process

Introverted Thinking

- Uses a framework or set of principles and seeks internal consistency between the framework and decisions
    - Seeks clarity and precision. Asks is the thinking right?
    - More analytical and deep application of logic than extraverted thinking
    - As it is an internal process, it is often not as visible
    - Tends to be more process focused than outcomes focused
    - Seeks elegance and simplicity of the framework or principles
    - Can come across to others as theoretical and hair splitting by those who don't prefer the process

Please provide feedback on my Nohari and Johari Window by clicking here: Nohari/Johari

Tri-type 639

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ILI Ni

If anyone can help me refine the above, I'll post it in the Wiki

Please provide feedback on my Nohari and Johari Window by clicking here: Nohari/Johari

Tri-type 639

MBTI
    CROW
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Socionics
    LII None

Quote Originally Posted by highlander View Post
    If anyone can help me refine the above, I'll post it in the Wiki
    I think a big difference between introverted thinking and extroverted thinking is that Extraverted Thinkers seem a lot more sequential in the way they think about things. Introverted thinking is less about sequential plans and more about seeking to understand things, I think.
    [Trump's] rhetoric is not an abuse of power. In the same way that it's also not against the law to do a backflip off of the roof of your house onto your concrete driveway. It's just mind-numbingly stupid and, to say the least, counterproductive. - Bush did 9-11

This is not going to go the way you think....

Visit my Johari:
    http://kevan.org/johari?name=Birddude78

Enneagram
    4 so/sp

Quote Originally Posted by Vulcan View Post
    I think a big difference between introverted thinking and extroverted thinking is that Extraverted Thinkers seem a lot more sequential in the way they think about things. Introverted thinking is less about sequential plans and more about seeking to understand things, I think.
    I agree with Ti being more focused on a thorough understanding and ensuring all of the details are accounted for and make sense as part of a bigger whole; I think I see Te in contrast as more focused on implementation and applicability/ability to execute - the desired outcome is definitely a driver.
    "...On and on and on and on he strode, far out over the sands, singing wildly to the sea, crying to greet the advent of the life that had cried to him." - James Joyce

My Photography and Watercolor Fine Art Prints!!! Cascade Colors Fine Art Prints
    https://docs.google.com/uc?export=do...Gd5N3NZZE52QjQ

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ILI Ni

It is interesting that I have a negative reaction to these specific words, "a sequential way of thinking about things". To me that implies linear thinking which doesn't resonate for me at all. Can you elaborate what you mean by this?

Quote Originally Posted by cascadeco View Post
    I agree with Ti being more focused on a thorough understanding and ensuring all of the details are accounted for and make sense as part of a bigger whole; I think I see Te in contrast as more focused on implementation and applicability/ability to execute - the desired outcome is definitely a driver.
    That's an interesting clarification. I agree with the second part.

As to having a thorough understanding and making sense as part of a bigger whole, I think Ni doms do that too. It's all about depth of understanding and the big picture or overall context. Ni doms may not focus on ensuring all the details are accounted for however (though they can be very detail oriented).

Tri-type 639

MBTI
    CROW
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Socionics
    LII None

It is interesting that I have a negative reaction to these specific words, "a sequential way of thinking about things". To me that implies linear thinking which doesn't resonate for me at all. Can you elaborate what you mean by this?
    I just mean step-by-step and coming up with plans. This is should happen, and then, if we do this, this should happen. It's planning ahead, in a sense. It's not a bad thing; actually, it's very useful.

I'm not big on the planning stuff. I just try and understand things.
    [Trump's] rhetoric is not an abuse of power. In the same way that it's also not against the law to do a backflip off of the roof of your house onto your concrete driveway. It's just mind-numbingly stupid and, to say the least, counterproductive. - Bush did 9-11

Visit my Johari:

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ILI Ni

I just mean step-by-step and coming up with plans. This is should happen, and then, if we do this, this should happen. It's planning ahead, in a sense. It's not a bad thing; actually, it's very useful.

I'm not big on the planning stuff. I just try and understand things.
    Yes I agree with that. Plans are a big thing.

Tri-type 639

MBTI
    CROW
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Socionics
    LII None

Yes I agree with that. Plans are a big thing.
    With me it's more like I try and make sense of things, and if things don't add up, I see if I can find out more information.

Visit my Johari:

Linear Thinking doesn't exclude multiple connections.

As for a specific Ti/Te and also more general discussion and understanding of functions, I think this article does a thorough job: http://www.typologycentral.com/forum...ml#post1820206
    To avoid criticism, do nothing, say nothing, be nothing.
    ~ Elbert Hubbard

Music provides one of the clearest examples of a much deeper relation between mathematics and human experience.