Certified Sausage Smoker Elfboy's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    SLI None

@Eluded_One
    scores are irrelevant. your type is your type because of the cognitive makeup, not because of how N/S, P/J etc you are
    ENFP: We put the Fi in Fire
    ENFP
    5w4>1w9>2w1 Sx/Sp
    SEE-Fi
    Papa Bear
    Motivation: Dark Worker
    Alignment: Chaotic Neutral
    Chibi Seme
    MTG Color: black/red
    Male Archtype: King/Lover
    Sunburst!
    "You are a gay version of Gambit" Speed Gavroche
    "I wish that I could be affected by any hate, but I can't, cuz I just get affected by the bank" Chamillionaire

MBTI
    IxTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ti

It's not a TED talk, it's TEDx - where something always goes wrong.
    "Everyone has a plan till they get punched in the mouth." Mike Tyson
    “Culture?” says Paul McCartney. “This isn't culture. It's just a good laugh.”

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/so

Quote Originally Posted by Elfboy View Post
    @Eluded_One
    scores are irrelevant. your type is your type because of the cognitive makeup, not because of how N/S, P/J etc you are
    Actually, empirically speaking, preference strength IS significant, and middling preferences don't affect behavior much. Plus, P/J isn't a "meta" or "master" preference objectively, in that it doesn't affect other preferences any more than the others do. I+J or S+F is just as predictive as N+J.

Granted, all that doesn't match standard MBTI/JCF type dynamics, but type dynamics has failed (so far) to be empirically validated. I think it's best viewed as a fun theory, but not something one gets to slap someone else down for failing to agree with.

As far as the TEDx talk, I related a lot to parts of it. I grew up as a gay INFP in Texas, and expected to find a group where I fit in just around the corner. First middle school was that place where I'd find similar folks, then high school, then college, then amongst out gay folks or amongst the computer geeks. Eventually I learned that I wasn't likely to find a perfect social environment anywhere, but that was just fine... I was "at home" enough and I could find individuals I related to, regardless of the over-all context.

failed poetry slam career chubber's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w4 sp/sx
    Socionics
    ILI Te

I'm wondering how this is inspirational.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEI Ni

I don't relate to him much. I was quite an ornery kid, not sensitive in a weepy way. My mom said I would get exasperated with peers who cried a lot.

He reminds me of my INFP 9w1 friend though. She does cute stuff like singing in the shower & naming squirrels.
    Being "different" bothers her more, based on her tendency to blush over stuff she thinks might peg her as weird; whereas I always felt it was cool to be a "weirdo" growing up. I had to come to terms with being painfully ordinary, and to note that any feelings of begin different were due to my detachment from being so introverted, not because I am fundamentally different. I couldn't see myself in people because I was too busy looking at myself.

Quote Originally Posted by Eluded_One View Post
    IMO, the cognitive priority is as different as night and day. I have more in common with ISFP's than do ENFP's.

An introvert will primarily have their focus inward. If any focus is beyond that, the game has changed.
    I feel my personality as a whole is more similar to an ISFP also, although I think it's most similar to INxx types (regardless of function preferences). I think my thinking style may be closer to an ENFP, which was never evident to me until I joined forums like this & got to "see inside" ENFPs' heads more. Their outer personalities are not something I relate to at all; my demeanor is more often compared to even INTx types I know than ENFPs in person. The ENFP type description is not relatable to me, whereas I relate to huge chunks of many ISFP profiles & the other INxx types.

People put too much stock in whole function stack & not enough in the dominant function & dynamics between them based on where they land in the stack (ie. tertiary Si in INFP is nothing like dominant Si in an ISTJ); & especially is the preference for introversion over extroversion downplayed, which is actually a primary divide for how personality manifests. So I too relate to most introverts more easily in terms of personality than I do any extrovert, although mentality is something I can relate to in many NPs & FPs, even if the demeanors & behaviors are markedly different. I think this has to do with similar mentalities focused on different areas (ie. Ne is similar to ENFP in how it works, but it's in service of Fi, which has an inward focus, and thus makes the INFP "dreamier" and using Ne more creatively for Fi ideals than charismatically to uncover potential in others/situations).
    Often a star was waiting for you to notice it. A wave rolled toward you out of the distant past, or as you walked under an open window, a violin yielded itself to your hearing. All this was mission. But could you accomplish it? (Rilke)

INFP | 4w5 sp/sx | RLUEI - Primary Inquisitive | Tritype is tripe

Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by OrangeAppled View Post
    People put too much stock in whole function stack & not enough in the dominant function & dynamics between them based on where they land in the stack (ie. tertiary Si in INFP is nothing like dominant Si in an ISTJ); & especially is the preference for introversion over extroversion downplayed, which is actually a primary divide for how personality manifests. So I too relate to most introverts more easily in terms of personality than I do any extrovert, although mentality is something I can relate to in many NPs & FPs, even if the demeanors & behaviors are markedly different. I think this has to do with similar mentalities focused on different areas (ie. Ne is similar to ENFP in how it works, but it's in service of Fi, which has an inward focus, and thus makes the INFP "dreamier" and using Ne more creatively for Fi ideals than charismatically to uncover potential in others/situations).
    I'd like to echo you, there. My Fi is a big part of my personality, but it is a mere orbital of the Planet Ne.

I have an ISFP friend who often connects with me via Fi. However, we can get our wires crossed when she examines my Fi outside the context of my dominant function (Ne). In an effort to make myself understood I once told her she was watching a man running away from a tiger, and mistaking him for someone who believed in the value of vigorous exercise. She looked at me like I was crazy (some ENFP communicator I am!). One of these days, I'll think of a better analogy.

For all my emphasis on the dominant function, I will say that I find INFP's very relatable when it comes to their writing.

Do we really still use MBTI to celebrate differences?

Accept the past. Live for the present. Look forward to the future.
    Robot Fusion
    "As our island of knowledge grows, so does the shore of our ignorance." John Wheeler
    "[A] scientist looking at nonscientific problems is just as dumb as the next guy." Richard Feynman
    "[P]etabytes of [] data is not the same thing as understanding emergent mechanisms and structures." Jim Crutchfield

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by ygolo View Post
    Do we really still use MBTI to celebrate differences?
    My milkshake is better than yours
    “If you worry about what might be, and wonder what might have been, you will ignore what is.” -anonymous

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    748 sx/so

Quote Originally Posted by Elfboy View Post
    so much Fi. everything is a self comparison
    PS: he's 52? can't say I'd date him, but I'll be very happy if I look that good at his age
    you're an INFP now? are you sure? honestly, from your videos, you always looked like an extrovert to me elfboy.

to OP, thanks for the video!

PS. watched it. didn't like it. it said absolutely nothing new, and it's just a guy talking about himself, whining about how he feels and how he's different. yeah, join the club.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    748 sx/so

Quote Originally Posted by Forever_Jung View Post
    I'd like to echo you, there. My Fi is a big part of my personality, but it is a mere orbital of the Planet Ne.

I have an ISFP friend who often connects with me via Fi. However, we can get our wires crossed when she examines my Fi outside the context of my dominant function (Ne). In an effort to make myself understood I once told her she was watching a man running away from a tiger, and mistaking him for someone who believed in the value of vigorous exercise. She looked at me like I was crazy (some ENFP communicator I am!). One of these days, I'll think of a better analogy.

For all my emphasis on the dominant function, I will say that I find INFP's very relatable when it comes to their writing.
    yes, i don't agree much with @OrangeAppled (but it might be my fault, because introverts are more sensitive to their inner world than extroverts). anyway, the type i can relate to the most is definitely INFP, i feel like we are basically the same type but just one looking inwards and the other outwards. but i feel totally understood by them and they are very relatable to me, like you say. this could also be a special case just for ENFP/INFP, as i've read that ENFPs are the most introverted or extroverts!?