• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Myers Briggs Types Short Descriptions

L

LadyLazarus

I had an ISFP girlfriend for 3 years in college. The description fit her pretty well.

Maybe she was a different enneatype and/or ISFp in socionics? I think the social 9's and the SEI's may better fit this description.

highlander

Administrator
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Maybe she was a different enneatype and/or ISFp in socionics? I think the social 9's and the SEI's may better fit this description.

I think she was an Enneagram 6. Phobic variety. SP probably.

EJCC

The Devil of TypoC
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
This particular description does say perceived as domineering, which is different than saying they are domineering.
Generally people don't perceive me as domineering, either. Unless I've had a bit to drink, in which case maybe.

Such Irony

Honor Thy Inferior
MBTI Type
INtp
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
INTP stands for Introverted iNtuitive Thinking Perceiving. This personality type is known for being intellectual, abstract, logical, reserved, detached, random and skeptical. Such people are usually unconventional and highly theoretical, they like playing with ideas and coming up with ingenious thought systems and explanations for the events they observe, although they aren't too likely to share their discoveries, as they're quite socially withdrawn and secretive. INTPs are also objective, spontaneous, adaptable and highly independent; they often question authority, openly disregard social conventions and irrational customs and prefer to think for themselves, which can lead to an original, avant-garde vision of things, but also to being perceived as arrogant, cold and eccentric.

Most of this fits except for openly disregarding social conventions/irrational customs. I do this more silently and passively. My Fe wants the social harmony, I guess.

I'm not sure about others perceiving me as arrogant, cold, and eccentric either. I see myself as more humble and doubting. I'm rather quiet and reserved but that's different than being cold. I guess some could see me as cold because of the intense focus on logic but deep down I'm a warm person. Regarding eccentricity- I wouldn't say I'm all that eccentric- I'm more simply absent-minded or lost in thought much of the time.

Last edited:

Eilonwy

Vulnerability
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Generally people don't perceive me as domineering, either. Unless I've had a bit to drink, in which case maybe.

*runs to look at dictionary* Would you say that "decisive" is a word that would describe you (it was used in the description)? I wonder if some people perceive decisiveness as domineering? Or perhaps it comes back to that dictionary definition and some people are more literal than others? The author of the descriptions might unconsciously inject some personal bias into them, including word choice. ;)

EJCC

The Devil of TypoC
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
*runs to look at dictionary* Would you say that "decisive" is a word that would describe you (it was used in the description)? I wonder if some people perceive decisiveness as domineering? Or perhaps it comes back to that dictionary definition and some people are more literal than others? The author of the descriptions might unconsciously inject some personal bias into them, including word choice. ;)
I was actually talking to someone else on the forum about this. More specifically, how

- ESTJ descriptions lean on the side of describing ESTJ 8s
- Fi/Ti usually sees Fe/Te as wayyy too pushy for their taste

So that may be where the bias comes from. First assumption makes a bit of sense because IIRC, 8 is a more common enneatype for ESTJs than 1 is.

OrderOfTheCaelifera

MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Here comes the stereotypes again. I don't get this whole retreating thing to re-gather or recharge for introverts. It's like introverts are made out of cell phone battery or something.
Speaking only for myself; I don't think of an introvert as needing to recharge due to being psychologically drained but rather requiring a level of inactivity to discharge some of the excess energy (environmental stimuli) & process sensory overload which caused the mental fatigue.
Since extroverts gain energy from interacting with others, it's a reasonable assumption that their neurotransmitters aren't as active or finely tuned as those of introverts & maybe that's a contributing reason why extroverts don't suffer mental fatigue or sensory overstimulation as some introverts experience.

If I ask for space, it's not because I'm suffocating or needing my introverted room to reflect, it's usually due from getting pissed off by the offender.
I find that I need a few drinks to dull my mind during extended socializing or else sensory intake overload (over stimulation) builds to the point that I feel myself becoming noticeably agitated.
Just a thought; maybe your getting pissed off isn't necessarily due to the individual in your space but rather a result of feeling overloaded.

EJCC

The Devil of TypoC
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
So, would it be safe to say that we should all try to be more aware of our own biases and choose our descriptive words more mindfully?
Yes definitely.

Eluded_One

Building muscle memory in my brain
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Maybe your getting pissed off isn't necessarily due to the individual in your space but rather a result of feeling overloaded.
Let's say for instance, I hang out with a friend that's very talkative and extroverted for about 12 hours straight, listening to their problems and other various things that might be burdensome for some folks. This scenario has never stopped me from doing the same thing again the next day forth. However, if that same friend made some unwarranted personal attack, let's just say, if things won't get resolved in a certain amount of time, I won't be seeing him or her for quite some time until I can fully evaluate what went wrong. I'm not quite sure if I can say this is a recharge or discharge thing. I'm more inclined to call it, turning the other cheek.

Although, I never thought about the theory of discharging instead of recharging. That's quite insightful. (not being sarcastic)

Eilonwy

Vulnerability
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
So, would it be safe to say that we should all try to be more aware of our own biases and choose our descriptive words more mindfully?

I'm going to play devil's advocate and bring up that some people would argue that my statement was too Fe, too directive, and too constraining to their natural voice. And I can see how that's true, because Fe is my natural voice and being directive and diplomatic is what Fe does. Sometimes well; sometimes badly. Is there a way to bridge that gap between being mindful and being authentic? Or does the best we can do end up being a sort of tug-of-war between the two?

(Maybe I should have this split off into its own thread, since it's getting off-topic?)

EJCC

The Devil of TypoC
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I'm going to play devil's advocate and bring up that some people would argue that my statement was too Fe, too directive, and too constraining to their natural voice. And I can see how that's true, because Fe is my natural voice and being directive and diplomatic is what Fe does. Sometimes well; sometimes badly. Is there a way to bridge that gap between being mindful and being authentic? Or does the best we can do end up being a sort of tug-of-war between the two?

(Maybe I should have this split off into its own thread, since it's getting off-topic?)
Not to shut down your, or anyone else's, Feeling functions, but since we're talking about type descriptions, authenticity MUST take a backseat to accuracy. If your "natural voice" is going to lead a large group of people towards typism and stereotyping if you don't keep it a bit in check, then you are obligated -- IMO -- to keep it in check.

I know for a fact that I just sounded very directive, but at the same time, your personal voice, stylistically, should be able to coexist with factual accuracy. So this shouldn't be a problem for anyone who wants to write a type description.

Eilonwy

Vulnerability
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Not to shut down your, or anyone else's, Feeling functions, but since we're talking about type descriptions, authenticity MUST take a backseat to accuracy. If your "natural voice" is going to lead a large group of people towards typism and stereotyping if you don't keep it a bit in check, then you are obligated -- IMO -- to keep it in check.

I know for a fact that I just sounded very directive, but at the same time, your personal voice, stylistically, should be able to coexist with factual accuracy. So this shouldn't be a problem for anyone who wants to write a type description.

I started generalizing. Thanks for reminding me that this is about type descriptions. How much do you think that context matters, then (i.e., talking about type descriptions)? Or does it matter?

Eilonwy

Vulnerability
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I'm trying to better myself but nobody's perfect.

I realize that nobody's perfect. I'm certainly not.

It seems that my question can be taken in different ways, though. It was directive and diplomatic in that I was hoping to get people thinking about the subject without imposing my own views too forcefully. I was trying to allow people to consider the question within their own framework and come to their own conclusions. But that ends up coming across as a very indirect way of getting everyone to "conform" to my views. Sometimes my natural voice sucks. But when I try to be more direct, then I really come across as forcing my views onto everyone. So, this is a learning process for me. What changes do I need to make--what changes am I capable of making--in order to communicate more effectively?

OrderOfTheCaelifera

MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Let's say for instance, I hang out with a friend that's very talkative and extroverted for about 12 hours straight, listening to their problems and other various things that might be burdensome for some folks. This scenario has never stopped me from doing the same thing again the next day forth. However, if that same friend made some unwarranted personal attack, let's just say, if things won't get resolved in a certain amount of time, I won't be seeing him or her for quite some time until I can fully evaluate what went wrong. I'm not quite sure if I can say this is a recharge or discharge thing. I'm more inclined to call it, turning the other cheek.
I couldn't do 12 hours of uninterrupted hanging out under those circumstances, my mind would fuzz out into an autopilot mode & I'd keep looking at the door for an exit.

Although, I never thought about the theory of discharging instead of recharging.
That's how I feel when I'm getting overloaded, as though there's too much intake & I need to process it or I'll begin feeling agitated. I don't imply that all introvert types are the same & it sounds as though you're (your type) more resilient to becoming overloaded. Maybe some types get drained & others get overloaded IDK.

lunareclipze

MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
They only thing I don't really relate to about the ISFP description is having a great emotional intelligence and being able to help others in concrete and tangible ways