12 Last

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ILI Ni

Default Borderline Type's Are A Myth

This is a very good explanation of why "borderline" type doesn't work.

Please provide feedback on my Nohari and Johari Window by clicking here: Nohari/Johari

Tri-type 639

Enneagram
    9w8

Thanks for sharing and I agree that it is a good explanation of why borderline doesn't work.
    A student said to his master: "You teach me fighting, but you talk about peace. How do you reconcile the two?" The master replied: "It is better to be a warrior in a garden than to be a gardener in a war." - unknown/Chinese

http://www.typologycentral.com/forum...=61024&page=14

Wake, See, Sing, Dance Cellmold's Avatar

Jung also mentioned that the type is nothing static and changes with the course of life.

He could have just been talking about how an individual type develops, or how a person might even switch type altogether. But it's open to interpretation.

She makes a good point though, although these theories tend to largely be about convincing people with good points.... I'm not sure myself, it's almost as if someone could just make this stuff up.
    'One of (Lucas) Cranach's masterpieces, discussed by (Joseph) Koerner, is in it's self-referentiality the perfect expression of left-hemisphere emptiness and a precursor of post-modernism. There is no longer anything to point to beyond, nothing Other, so it points pointlessly to itself.' - Iain McGilChrist

Suppose a tree fell down, Pooh, when we were underneath it?"
    "Suppose it didn't," said Pooh, after careful thought.
    Piglet was comforted by this.
    - A.A. Milne.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    468 sx/sp
    Socionics
    EII None

I need to do one of those Skype sessions with her. Or somebody.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/so

I respectfully disagree with the OP. There's no empirical evidence for type dynamics or that the preferences are dichotomous (despite many studies trying to find evidence). If you look at the data, people's preference seem pretty bell-curvy, which I think partially explains some people's difficulty in typing. See Reynierse, Wilde, etc. Also see the introversion/extraversion continuum, which includes physically measurable difference between introverts and extraverts that do, in fact, seem to exist on a continuum (see, for example, the lemon test).

I also think claiming that a middling preference score means "you don't really know yourself" is shaky ground, at best. I agree that people not knowing themselves is a confounding factor when typing, but it's hardly the only thing that might result in a middling preference score.

Her acorn/tree references also seem to indicate that type is entirely inborn, while most studies seem to indicate a 40% to 60% nature/nuture balance. I personally believe that type is mostly set by early adolescence, but that's more a personal theory, rather than being proven.

Regardless, I think type dynamics are an interesting concept and it's good for people to understand the model, whether they agree or not. I think the "functions" are a good way for people to hone in on their likely type, even if I think the functions mostly represent preference combination.

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

I heard a lot of conceptualizations in that video (for example, the comparison to the oak seed -> oak tree), but no actual proof that that's the way it is. I think she is describing more the suppositions of MBTI from her particular perspective than any actual kind of certainty about how personality in general works.

I happen to agree with some of her ideas, though, such as how the number ratings of dichotomous test is just describing consistency of preference and not strength of preference.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

WALMART

Absolutely terrible.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    3w4 sp/so

I wanted her to disprove borderline personality types because they disturb the way I view functional stacks. But, like Jennifer said, it didn't prove anything. It was just theorizing on why they're a myth. IMO, it would've improved the video if she would've presented it that way.

Tempbanned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/so

It depends on which part of the dichotomies we're talking.

On the middle two letters, I agree, there is no borderline type - it's one or the other.

On the first letter, tho - introversion vs extroversion - there can definitely be borderline types.

On the last letter - J vs P - that is the most complicated, because with development of your 3rd thru 6th functions, you do actually develop toward the other side. Most people that put INTx, or what not, however, are not referring to this, and, rather, simply don't know what type they really are.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    3w4 sp/so

Quote Originally Posted by Zarathustra View Post
    It depends on which part of the dichotomies we're talking.

On the middle two letters, I agree, there is no borderline type - it's one or the other.

On the first letter, tho - introversion vs extroversion - there can definitely be borderline types.

On the last letter - J vs P - that is the most complicated, because with development of your 3rd thru 6th functions, you do actually develop toward the other side. Most people that put INTx, or what not, however, are not referring to this, and, rather, simply don't know what type they really are.
    This makes sense. Borderline S/N and T/F preferences are more difficult to understand.