User Tag List

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: How Do You Deal with a Narcissist?

Default How Do You Deal with a Narcissist?

Some of the most difficult people to deal with are extraordinarily competent but refuse to share power or flex to consider other perspectives. Thus, they become obstructionists in contemporary society; and numerous studies of modern corporations have found “a disproportional number of narcissistic individuals [in] executive leadership positions.”

Personality Type In Depth Article Here

Question at the bottom of the article:
    "Have you ever encountered such a person? Have you known people who seem wedded to their persona, or to the dominant function, in an inflated or grandiose way? What is the typological way to deal with the poisonous effects of such typological one-sidedness? How can type help us and how can we help others deal with narcissistic personalities? Do you have any strategies, insights, or type tips to share?"

eating bugs out of hair. Array prplchknz's Avatar

ignore them, if they're not gonna change i won't waste my time
    by @magpie

Get rid of all the mirrors in their house and watch them go insane in 3 minutes flat.

Quote Originally Posted by LadyLazarus View Post
    Get rid of all the mirrors in their house and watch them go insane in 3 minutes flat.

Tell them they're a fucking idiot.
    If this is the best of possible worlds, what then are the others?
    ― Voltaire, Candide

3w2 so/sp

I just generally tend to ignore the one I live with. Or I make extremely sassy/smart ass remarks that make her seem like a total drama queen, which she is. Those generally just piss her off a lot. She can dish it for days but really can't take it at all. I really should handle it in a more mature way, but passive aggression just comes so naturally. Actually, come to think of it I'm not sure which sets her off more, ignoring her or sassing her. I should experiment.
    “We need to remember what's important in life: friends, waffles, work. Or waffles, friends, work. Doesn't matter, but work is third.” - Leslie Knope

"Nothing lasts forever, some things aren't meant to be. But you'll never find the answers 'til you set your old heart free."

3w2 6w7 1w2

1w2 sp/so
    SLE Se

Ignore them.

If you give them attention, of any kind, it's only going to make them worse. Narcissistic people need attention of some sort, and without it they can't function as they want. You're essentially stripping them of their power to be narcissistic.

Quote Originally Posted by prplchknz View Post
    ignore them, if they're not gonna change i won't waste my time
    Yup this. The only way a narcissist can change is if they actually see themselves as narcissistic, and that's something that no one can show. It's completely on them. It truly is a waste of time and energy to involve onesself with one.
    MBTI: ExxJ tetramer
    Functions: Fe > Te > Ni > Se > Si > Ti > Fi > Ne
    Enneagram: 1w2 - 3w4 - 6w5 (The Taskmaster) | sp/so
    Socionics: β-E dimer | -
    Big 5: slOaI
    Temperament: Choleric/Melancholic
    Alignment: Lawful Neutral
    External Perception: Nohari and Johari

I ask @Sinmara to do a pardoy of him.

4w5 sx/so

Saw this yesterday as well.

Considered posting about it, but figured Highlander would.

I don't know if @Article Poster is an admin, tho, anymore, or someone related to 'Personality Type In Depth'...

Anyway, having been called a narcissist a number of times, I've actually done a reasonable amount of research into it.

First off, I'll say, I haven't read the article yet, but it seemed to me to deal with it primarily in a Jungian typological way...

If that is what it did, then I find that pretty problematic, and I think enneagram is actually more helpful on this.

Second, the term and concept of narcissism (Freud; healthy vs unhealthy) has an interesting history.

The book 'The Americanization of Narcissism' was published this year, examining this history.

Here is an interview with the author that I found extremely illuminating:

The history is all described there, so I won't go into it in detail.

In short, she talks about the history of the ideas of healthy narcissism and unhealthy narcissism in America.

Each idea was promulgated by a prominent psychotherapist of the time, but the latter concept ended up gaining more prominence.

The publishing of Christopher Lasch's book 'The Culture of Narcissism' in 1979 was the keystone moment in this development.

I posted these links, which dive deeper into that subject, the other day, in @xisnotx's thread.

Reading through these, you somewhat get the sense that narcissism has become an almost vapid, catch-all accusation used against anyone who is ambitious and successful. There is such a thing as serious narcissism, NPD-style, and it is usually associated with a lack of empathy, amongst other ills. The requirements to be diagnosed as having NPD apparently increased with the new DSM, as overdiagnosis seemed possible and problematic, considering someone with a healthy sense of narcissism could fall under many of the same criteria, but not actually be pathological. I find this distinction between the two -- what makes one have a healthy sense of narcissism vs what makes one pathologically narcissistic (and thus have NPD) -- an interesting one.
    The Justice Fighter

XXXX - XwX Xdw XwX sx/so - Neutral Good

"I trust what you are doing though…I just see it a little differently.
    I don’t see it as you stepping away from the fire. I see it as the fire directing your course.
    No matter how airy or earthy or watery you become... to many of us you will always be...a super nova."

"Behind these gates of seeming warmth sits, loosely chained, a fierce attack dog. Perhaps not crazy, but dangerous"

The Aggressive 6

There's also the issue of egotism though...