User Tag List

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast
Results 51 to 60 of 69

Thread: How Do You Deal with a Narcissist?

  1. #51

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by entropie View Post
    narcissm is an illness, it has no use
    that pretty black an white
    "I'm not in this world to live up to your expectations and you're not in this world to live up to mine. "
    -Bruce Lee

  2. #52
    Mr. Blue Array entropie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    MBTI
    entp
    Enneagram
    3w2 so
    Posts
    15,756

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by gasoline View Post
    that pretty black an white
    Not when you ask my therapist
    Bad Santa
    Time will explain.
    ~Persuasion - by Jane Austen

  3. #53
    & Badger, Ratty and Toad Array Mole's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    17,017

    Default The Root of Narcissism

    Quote Originally Posted by entropie View Post
    narcissm is an illness, it has no use
    There is the narcissistic personality who is often successful. For instance, many CEO's have narcissistic personalities.

    And there is narcissistic personality disorder which is a mental illness, and those who suffer from this illness lead unsuccessful lives.

    And then there is cultural narcissism created by the consumer society. This is largely invisible because everyone is culturally narcissistic, so narcissism seems normal.

    And then there is religious narcissism where we believe we are the centre of God's attention.

    And then there is national narcissism where we believe our nation is Exceptional with a Manifest Destiny under God.

    And there is the narcissism of size where we think we are the measure of the size of the Universe, but Relativity and Quantum Mechanics show this is an illusion, just like the Sun going round the Earth.

    But at the root of narcissism is a little child wanting to be the centre of their parents' attention in order to survive and thrive.
    There is NOTHING--absolute nothing--half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats. Simply messing.
    Click on http://www.online-literature.com/grahame/windwillows/1/

    Understanding McLuhan 1974 - Full lecture Living in an Acoustic World | University of South Florida - YouTube

  4. #54
    Mr. Blue Array entropie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    MBTI
    entp
    Enneagram
    3w2 so
    Posts
    15,756

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mole View Post
    There is the narcissistic personality who is often successful. For instance, many CEO's have narcissistic personalities.

    And there is narcissistic personality disorder which is a mental illness, and those who suffer from this illness lead unsuccessful lives.

    And then there is cultural narcissism created by the consumer society. This is largely invisible because everyone is culturally narcissistic, so narcissism seems normal.

    And then there is religious narcissism where we believe we are the centre of God's attention.

    And then there is national narcissism where we believe our nation is Exceptional with a Manifest Destiny under God.

    And there is the narcissism of size where we think we are the measure of the size of the Universe, but Relativity and Quantum Mechanics show this is an illusion, just like the Sun going round the Earth.

    But at the root of narcissism is a little child wanting to be the centre of their parents' attention in order to survive and thrive.
    Hmm I dont think you can throw that all into one bottle or one equation. regarding cultural and national people seek identity, regarding religion people seek meaning.

    Narcissm per se or in its purest form is just a very bad self conciencse not noticing it. Instead of a normal person with bad self conciencse that would react retreatingly when attacked, a narcisst's ego is fueled to retailiate even heavier. That is an upside spiral that gets worse and worse until they are lonely at the top.

    The worst tho they are when being together with a person that loves them and doesnt tackle their egos. Then they are in constant need of troublemaking to find fights to react to.

    We maybe could distinguis between philosophical narcissm and psychological one. The psychological one, tho is a very bad mental illness
    Bad Santa
    Time will explain.
    ~Persuasion - by Jane Austen

  5. #55
    & Badger, Ratty and Toad Array Mole's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    17,017

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by entropie View Post
    Hmm I dont think you can throw that all into one bottle or one equation. regarding cultural and national people seek identity, regarding religion people seek meaning.

    Narcissm per se or in its purest form is just a very bad self conciencse not noticing it. Instead of a normal person with bad self conciencse that would react retreatingly when attacked, a narcisst's ego is fueled to retailiate even heavier. That is an upside spiral that gets worse and worse until they are lonely at the top.

    The worst tho they are when being together with a person that loves them and doesnt tackle their egos. Then they are in constant need of troublemaking to find fights to react to.

    We maybe could distinguis between philosophical narcissm and psychological one. The psychological one, tho is a very bad mental illness
    Yes narcissism is a wide spectrum from the psychotic to the neurotic, and narcissism finds its genesis in the small child's need to be the centre of their parents' attention in order to survive and thrive.

    And because narcissism is so widespread, we can say that most parents are psychologically unable to make their child the centre of their attention. This is not their fault, as their own parents were not psychologically able to pay sufficient attention to them.

    So psychologically damaged parents damage their own children.

    You will find this well set out in the book by your countrywoman, Alice Miller, in For Your Own Good and other books.

    Anyone interested in psychology should read them.
    There is NOTHING--absolute nothing--half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats. Simply messing.
    Click on http://www.online-literature.com/grahame/windwillows/1/

    Understanding McLuhan 1974 - Full lecture Living in an Acoustic World | University of South Florida - YouTube

  6. #56
    Senior Member Array
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    241

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mole View Post

    And then there is national narcissism where we believe our nation is Exceptional with a Manifest Destiny under God.
    This sounds familiar, now doesn't it?


  7. #57
    Tempbanned Array
    Join Date
    May 2014
    MBTI
    N/A
    Socionics
    EIE Ni
    Posts
    3,388

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bullet View Post
    This sounds familiar, now doesn't it?
    Hmm. Julia Gillard, who along with her partner has connections with communist trade unions, and supports a very reactionary brand of feminism, is a nationalist

    I wonder what else am I going to learn tonight.

    Back to narcissism, it's kind of obvious. Attack said person's ego.

  8. #58
    Seal Down Array Hard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    MBTI
    ENFJ
    Enneagram
    1w2 sp/so
    Socionics
    SLE Se
    Posts
    7,338

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Kullervo View Post

    Back to narcissism, it's kind of obvious. Attack said person's ego.
    No no no. That does no good at all, if anything it makes it worse. As I said in the beginning of the thread, the best thing to do is ignore them when they show it, or just ignore them completely. It removes their power to be narcissistic.
    MBTI: ExxJ tetramer
    Functions: Fe > Te > Ni > Se > Si > Ti > Fi > Ne
    Enneagram: 1w2 - 3w4 - 6w5 (The Taskmaster) | sp/so
    Socionics: β-E dimer | -
    Big 5: slOaI
    Temperament: Choleric/Melancholic
    Alignment: Lawful Neutral
    External Perception: Nohari and Johari

  9. #59
    & Badger, Ratty and Toad Array Mole's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    17,017

    Default Misinformation

    Quote Originally Posted by Kullervo View Post
    Hmm. Julia Gillard, who along with her partner has connections with communist trade unions, and supports a very reactionary brand of feminism, is a nationalist
    How ridiculous.

    There are no communist trade unions in Oz.

    Julia Gillard was voted out of office and now plays no part in Australian politics.

    And Julia Gillard's partner is a hairdresser and not a politician.

    Julia Gillard was on the left of politics and far from being a nationalist.

    And far from being a reactionary feminist, Julia Gillard was a progressive feminist.

    I regret, dear SilentMusings, that you have been misinformed.
    There is NOTHING--absolute nothing--half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats. Simply messing.
    Click on http://www.online-literature.com/grahame/windwillows/1/

    Understanding McLuhan 1974 - Full lecture Living in an Acoustic World | University of South Florida - YouTube

  10. #60
    Tempbanned Array
    Join Date
    May 2014
    MBTI
    N/A
    Socionics
    EIE Ni
    Posts
    3,388

    Default

    When Gillard ran with the Reds — Quadrant Online

    There has been a trend since the 1970s of individuals with communist roots later embracing some watered-down form of capitalism, but retaining their original social agenda.

    Julia Gillard is only one example, many members of "mainstream" political parties have similar ideological backgrounds, which should be a sign that they cannot be trusted. I am well aware that she has been voted out of office, but that doesn't mean we should instantly cease such discussions. Being a public figure, especially a prominent politician, has lifelong consequences.

    Might be worth scrolling up to remind yourself that I didn't start this topic either.

    Now, back to narcissism.

Similar Threads

  1. [MBTItm] INTJs, how do you deal with/feel about Te?
    By Uytuun in forum The NT Rationale (ENTP, INTP, ENTJ, INTJ)
    Replies: 25
    Last Post: 07-27-2014, 01:12 PM
  2. [NT] NTs, how do you deal with Reality...
    By rivercrow in forum The NT Rationale (ENTP, INTP, ENTJ, INTJ)
    Replies: 40
    Last Post: 06-15-2010, 08:45 AM
  3. [NF] NFs: How do you deal with depression?
    By DigitalMethod in forum The NF Idyllic (ENFP, INFP, ENFJ, INFJ)
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 02-18-2009, 06:35 PM
  4. [NF] NFs, how do you deal with Thinking...
    By SolitaryWalker in forum The NF Idyllic (ENFP, INFP, ENFJ, INFJ)
    Replies: 83
    Last Post: 01-27-2009, 10:34 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO