• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

How Do You Deal with a Narcissist?

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
I was thinking, according to pop psychology and the stereotype of a narcissist i could be considered one, not in the clinical sense. But I know I am awesome, and all this other stuff. the difference is I guess I don't step on people to get ahead, I wait my turn and rather succeed in an honest way. So maybe I'm not.

G

Ginkgo

This site has been considered "narcissism central" by [MENTION=3325]Mole[/MENTION], but you have to wonder just how effective critical typology systems are at weeding out people who fail to tolerate criticism.

Mole

Permabanned
This site has been considered "narcissism central" by [MENTION=3325]Mole[/MENTION], but you have to wonder just how effective critical typology systems are at weeding out people who fail to tolerate criticism.

Criticism always hurts. So to hear and benefit from criticism, we need to have emotional restraint. And emotional restraint is the hallmark of emotional intelligence.

In a similar vein, cognitive dissonance is emotionally painful. So to listen to and benefit from cognitive dissonance we need emotional restraint.

So the emotionally intelligent can benefit from criticism and cognitive dissonance.

And criticism and cognitive dissonance are the hallmarks of creativity.

Cellmold

Wake, See, Sing, Dance
Get rid of all the mirrors in their house and watch them go insane in 3 minutes flat.

NO! Fill their entire house with mirrors and trap them in, eventually they wont remember who the real one is and go insane from the imperfection in the 'real' reflection of themselves.

Plus mirrors can be smashed to make sharp objects....suitable for....wrist slashing....

jcloudz

Yup
MBTI Type
Istj
a person that places themselves at the pinnacle, or position they have the most power an delegate according to every whim, wrong or right that they desire, an, an makes it so your world, an everyone elses world evolves around them an are somewhat dependent on them? cause something about that enslavement thing, that just make them soooooo hard.

i usually keep my head down an do what im told.:D

entropie

Permabanned
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
a person that places themselves at the pinnacle, or position they have the most power an delegate according to every whim, wrong or right that they desire, an, an makes it so your world, an everyone elses world evolves around them an are somewhat dependent on them? cause something about that enslavement thing, that just make them soooooo hard.

i usually keep my head down an do what im told.:D

You see that a bit wrongly. A narcisst is a person who isnt able to take on other peoples feelings and has himself a bad self-conciensce. This kind of people, we have a billion on the world, but the thing that narcissts make differently is that they dont cope in tears but in style.

Narcissts are people like everyone else. But only a professional can help them.

jcloudz

Yup
MBTI Type
Istj
You see that a bit wrongly. A narcisst is a person who isnt able to take on other peoples feelings and has himself a bad self-conciensce. This kind of people, we have a billion on the world, but the thing that narcissts make differently is that they dont cope in tears but in style.

Narcissts are people like everyone else. But only a professional can help them.

there are degrees of narcissim an im speaking about it, in its ugliest most extreme. no need for the new spin on it.
people in massive hordes can be douchey as well.

entropie

Permabanned
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
there are degrees of narcissim an im speaking about it, in its ugliest most extreme. no need for the new spin on it.
people in massive hordes can be douchey as well. so i can see where narcissism has its use

narcissm is an illness, it has no use

Mole

Permabanned
The Root of Narcissism

narcissm is an illness, it has no use

There is the narcissistic personality who is often successful. For instance, many CEO's have narcissistic personalities.

And there is narcissistic personality disorder which is a mental illness, and those who suffer from this illness lead unsuccessful lives.

And then there is cultural narcissism created by the consumer society. This is largely invisible because everyone is culturally narcissistic, so narcissism seems normal.

And then there is religious narcissism where we believe we are the centre of God's attention.

And then there is national narcissism where we believe our nation is Exceptional with a Manifest Destiny under God.

And there is the narcissism of size where we think we are the measure of the size of the Universe, but Relativity and Quantum Mechanics show this is an illusion, just like the Sun going round the Earth.

But at the root of narcissism is a little child wanting to be the centre of their parents' attention in order to survive and thrive.

entropie

Permabanned
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
There is the narcissistic personality who is often successful. For instance, many CEO's have narcissistic personalities.

And there is narcissistic personality disorder which is a mental illness, and those who suffer from this illness lead unsuccessful lives.

And then there is cultural narcissism created by the consumer society. This is largely invisible because everyone is culturally narcissistic, so narcissism seems normal.

And then there is religious narcissism where we believe we are the centre of God's attention.

And then there is national narcissism where we believe our nation is Exceptional with a Manifest Destiny under God.

And there is the narcissism of size where we think we are the measure of the size of the Universe, but Relativity and Quantum Mechanics show this is an illusion, just like the Sun going round the Earth.

But at the root of narcissism is a little child wanting to be the centre of their parents' attention in order to survive and thrive.

Hmm I dont think you can throw that all into one bottle or one equation. regarding cultural and national people seek identity, regarding religion people seek meaning.

Narcissm per se or in its purest form is just a very bad self conciencse not noticing it. Instead of a normal person with bad self conciencse that would react retreatingly when attacked, a narcisst's ego is fueled to retailiate even heavier. That is an upside spiral that gets worse and worse until they are lonely at the top.

The worst tho they are when being together with a person that loves them and doesnt tackle their egos. Then they are in constant need of troublemaking to find fights to react to.

We maybe could distinguis between philosophical narcissm and psychological one. The psychological one, tho is a very bad mental illness

Mole

Permabanned
Hmm I dont think you can throw that all into one bottle or one equation. regarding cultural and national people seek identity, regarding religion people seek meaning.

Narcissm per se or in its purest form is just a very bad self conciencse not noticing it. Instead of a normal person with bad self conciencse that would react retreatingly when attacked, a narcisst's ego is fueled to retailiate even heavier. That is an upside spiral that gets worse and worse until they are lonely at the top.

The worst tho they are when being together with a person that loves them and doesnt tackle their egos. Then they are in constant need of troublemaking to find fights to react to.

We maybe could distinguis between philosophical narcissm and psychological one. The psychological one, tho is a very bad mental illness

Yes narcissism is a wide spectrum from the psychotic to the neurotic, and narcissism finds its genesis in the small child's need to be the centre of their parents' attention in order to survive and thrive.

And because narcissism is so widespread, we can say that most parents are psychologically unable to make their child the centre of their attention. This is not their fault, as their own parents were not psychologically able to pay sufficient attention to them.

So psychologically damaged parents damage their own children.

You will find this well set out in the book by your countrywoman, Alice Miller, in For Your Own Good and other books.

Anyone interested in psychology should read them.

Bullet

This sounds familiar, now doesn't it? :whistling:

julia-gillard-siap-menangi-pemilu-australia.jpg

Kullervo

Permabanned
MBTI Type
N/A
This sounds familiar, now doesn't it? :whistling:

Hmm. Julia Gillard, who along with her partner has connections with communist trade unions, and supports a very reactionary brand of feminism, is a nationalist :dry:

I wonder what else am I going to learn tonight.

Back to narcissism, it's kind of obvious. Attack said person's ego.

á´…eparted

passages
Back to narcissism, it's kind of obvious. Attack said person's ego.

No no no. That does no good at all, if anything it makes it worse. As I said in the beginning of the thread, the best thing to do is ignore them when they show it, or just ignore them completely. It removes their power to be narcissistic.

Mole

Permabanned
Misinformation

Hmm. Julia Gillard, who along with her partner has connections with communist trade unions, and supports a very reactionary brand of feminism, is a nationalist :dry:

How ridiculous.

There are no communist trade unions in Oz.

Julia Gillard was voted out of office and now plays no part in Australian politics.

And Julia Gillard's partner is a hairdresser and not a politician.

Julia Gillard was on the left of politics and far from being a nationalist.

And far from being a reactionary feminist, Julia Gillard was a progressive feminist.

I regret, dear SilentMusings, that you have been misinformed.

Kullervo

Permabanned
MBTI Type
N/A
When Gillard ran with the Reds — Quadrant Online

There has been a trend since the 1970s of individuals with communist roots later embracing some watered-down form of capitalism, but retaining their original social agenda.

Julia Gillard is only one example, many members of "mainstream" political parties have similar ideological backgrounds, which should be a sign that they cannot be trusted. I am well aware that she has been voted out of office, but that doesn't mean we should instantly cease such discussions. Being a public figure, especially a prominent politician, has lifelong consequences.

Might be worth scrolling up to remind yourself that I didn't start this topic either.

Now, back to narcissism.