• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

INFJs in Relationships

hazelsees

MBTI Type
INFJ
This thread is so stressful!
Seriously, any close relationship is going to (eventually) have issues because people are people--and type doesn't matter because there are no perfect people. Yeah, yeah...the issues will vary because of type and other things...but this particular discussion is like beating a dead horse. Mane's ex-wife is horrible and INFJs are defensive because we know we're not horrible. And it goes on and on and on. [MENTION=15291]Mane[/MENTION] -- I thought you were ENTP. Just noticed the F.

We need some love around here! Why can't we give love that one more chance? (Under Pressure is an old song, but a good song and I recommend that everyone listen to it now.):hug::wubbie:
Especially some NF love. The NFs that I know (and love) in real life...well, there's just not this problem. It's more like it's us against them! Especially the STJs who are sometimes ruiners of fun. At work they're the ones who guard the budget and have to reign us in. And destroy our dreams (with their practical, no-nonsense, no-rule-bending ways)! They crush our "off-topic" tangents during meetings to keep us on time and so they can take tidy minutes. Let's be mad at them for awhile instead of each other!
(I really appreciate the STJs--someone has to do those boring things and I love them for sacrificing themselves in this way).

I forgot what I was going to say...
Sorry.

S

Society

Mane's ex-wife is horrible and INFJs are defensive because we know we're not horrible. And it goes on and on and on.

it's a bit more interesting than that:

the OP asked for feedback on the video about INFJs in relationships from INFJs and people who have had relationships with INFJs. naturally, both of these groups are going to judge that information based on their experience in their own relationships - as either an individual INFJ or the past SO of individual INFJs. as the later, i did that by highlighting in red what i found to be incorrect & in blue what i found to be correct for HER - that particular individual INFJ - not all INFJs or a hypothetical INFJ model of behavior - but specifically for the one i have had experience with on the matter.

now, i also tried to bring her own view into that by layering the bold vs. italic to represent what i would wager she would find correct/incorrect about herself (summary: she would largely identify with most of the positives represented in the vid).

having done either one of those, there probably wouldn't be much trouble. except that i did both, the font scheme & the color scheme did not match, and i pointed it out that this seems to be quite a common thing - contrasting views between those two groups of people (INFJs & people who experienced relationships with INFJs).

now, i realize how this can be offensive: for INFJs here, this has the negative implication that the same might be true for them - that how they see themselves is not how they have being experienced by SOs in past and quite possibly current relationships, that they might find the later view devaluing. in cases where negative views have actually being expressed by past SOs, this can be potentially reaffirming & legitimizing for those negative views. perhaps worst of all - if applicable, it discredits their view of themselves as valid predictors for what current or future SOs might experience.

but you don't even need to fully think it, do you? not consciously - i think this might be indicative of the Ni ability to sort of smell the implications & meaning of something before the thought is fully formed and uttered in one's own mind which allows the Fe to know that this chain of thought 'feels wrong' (a.k.a results in emotional dissonance) before you can even follow it consciously.

cafe

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Okay, I guess I'll play.

INFJs are supporting (to a degree) insightful (sometimes yes, sometimes I'm clueless, usually nothing in between) and intense (I don't think I'm intense) partners, they value harmony (yes) like to please (usually, but not if it costs too much energy) and love intimacy (I'm not big on intimacy most of the time, it feels intrusive), especially knowing how to delight and dissolve (I'm not sure how one would go about delighting and dissolving an INTP or what it would look like if it happened. It sounds like it couldn't be good.) their partner INFJs pride themselves on emotional intelligence (it's really hit and miss for me. one extreme or the other, usually) and seek a deep emotional and spiritual connection with their partner (I don't think I do, really. I like being on the same page, being able to rely upon one another and having a pleasant time, which isn't the same thing, I don't think. One of the things I value about my partner is that he keeps a lot of his emotional noise to himself. I find that soothing.), they desire closeness and love being the trusted confidant and protector of another's inner most thoughts and feelings (I used to be more into that than I am now. Now I'd just as soon avoid it because when people confide in you, they usually aren't telling you good things).

INFJs are extremely devoted parents (I wouldn't call myself a devoted parent, though I do love my kids very much and want good things for them) who pour energy into nurturing deep and lasting bonds with their children (this isn't me. I really do want to have good relationships with my kids and keep in contact with them all at least a couple of times a week until I'm dead but I'm not sure how realistic that is and it's more important that they build lives of their own.), sometimes prioritizing their children's needs over their partners (I've always made a point not to do this when it could be avoided. If we do our job right, the kids will leave but we're both in this for life. Plus, it's better for kids to know their parents love each other and are committed to each other than to be the center of attention, IMO). the INFJ parent takes a keen interest in their children's development (keen is probably too strong a word) and well being, they will quickly in tune with their children emotional and intellectual interests (honestly, I will do this enough to make polite conversation but I don't like anime or pewdiepie all that much), gently encouraging them to pursue and develop their own dream and fulfill their own inner potential (I want them to be able to not have to struggle to put food on the table and to be happy, so I try to give them realistic expectations and practical advice and honest critique as well as encouragement).
when it comes to parenting intensity, few match the INFJ, though this can occasionally spill over to molly cuddling (I probably molly coddle with some things and leave them swinging in the breeze with others depending on your perspective). even then INFJ parents continue to find ways to keep their parenting flame alive (I have no idea what that even means, but it sounds stupid).

INFJs want to understand themselves, human nature in general, and develop a comprehensive conceptual framework into which these fit (yes to all that). they are highly empathic (yes, and it sucks most of the time, so it may not look like I'm empathic because I do not want people getting their emotions on me.), gifted in understanding people (sometimes, yes other times I'm clueless), and often referred to as nature's psychologists (I have that vibe, which is not always a good thing). but like all of us, if an INFJ doesn't understand another's core values, they may misinterpret their actions (sometimes I understand but I disagree and think other people are mean and stupid even though that may or may not be rational and I'm mean and stupid sometimes, too, but there is no rule that I have to be objective and benevolent all the time).

when in stress, an INFJ may often see threats in the relationship, that may be grains of sand, but which the INFJ will hyperbolize into mountain ranges (I totally do this. I know that I do this, so I generally try to keep a lid on it until I calm down and can address it more rationally. I do not always succeed.). this happens with both INFJs and INTJs. in stress, all INxJs can get stuck in the grip of their inferior extroverted sensing, which Roger Pierman in "i'm not crazy i'm just not you",describes in the following terms:
"extroverted sensing has the natural strength of collecting evidence from the environment - people, things and places.
the fluid experience of information enables those using extroverted sensing to describe experiences well.
but in its compensatory form, extroverted sensing leads to incorrect deductions from a single fact,
at times a simple smell can lead to the catastrophic conclusion that a relationship is over.
there is no step-by-step logic leading to the conclusion; it is as if the conclusion already existed and merely required the observation of a random fact to allow it to be arrived at."
ordinarily very good at connection observations to illuminate deeper meaning, when stressed it may be very difficult to get an INFJ to reexamine their trusted insight, as they may simply find new random facts to validate their perspective.

INFJs are creative (sometimes, but I don't think any more so than other folks) and will inspire their partner and children with new ideas and perspectives (I'm pretty sure they just think I'm hairbrained. Unless someone is wanting to cosplay and then I'm a wonderful mom is so very wonderful and will you please sew this for me mom? ).
INFJs need a sense of meaning and purpose in their lives (I haven't had any real concerns about this since I had kids. This could change when and if they don't need me anymore, but I think the INTP will always need me to nag him a little). they need to feel that they are contributing towards a better, more loving world (I think I feel this way, but I also know that I'm one person out of billions and that nobody is even going to remember me when my grandkids are dead, so really, how miserable do I want to make myself?). so when an INFJ has found their passion, they may become extremely driven to actualize their internal ideals in the outer world (I can be this way, but I am a dabbler and don't have much energy, so it usually doesn't last long). this can also lead the INFJ to become so determined to achieve their goals that they may ignore all of their own personal needs (No. I'm really not that goal oriented or ambitious and I crumble really quickly if I don't take care of myself, so even if I wanted to, I can't.). one INFJ university lecturer was so dedicated to her students, that she would work extremely long hours, often forgetting to eat and sleeping in her office, such that she eventually developed chronic fatigue syndrome (That's a pretty stupid and egotistical thing to do, IMO. Nobody is that important and if you were, it's that much more important that you behave in a way that is sustainable).

it should be noted that INFJs like SFJs are extremely faithful to their cohort (I don't know what this means). not the point where they need to attend all social events (social events should die), but INFJs value loyal reliable friends (You'd have to be a dick not to.). friends that have stuck by them through thick and thin are often afforded the same level of regard as a partner (my partner is my only friend who has stuck by me through thick and thin). this can be problematic when an INFJs sense of obligation to their cohort conflicts with the needs of their partner (I think I've learned my lesson about that). INFJs spend such a lot of time ministering for the needs of others,so a partner may feel excluded or overlooked at times (If I'm spending a lot of time away from home, I try to check in with him fairly often to make sure it's not bothering him. Usually if it is, he'll say something and I'll make more time for him.).

INFJs navigate the emotional lives of others with care and sensitivity, trying to avoid causing offense, looking for the highest good in others, and seeking to maintain harmony (I don't navigate, I avoid. I don't want to cause offense because I hate conflict and I don't want bad karma. I am pessimistic about people and when I try to meddle it usually doesn't end well. Because nobody likes to be anybody else's DIY project, not even mine. I do often have the urge, but I try to keep it on a leash.).
like INTJs, INFJs tend to be their own worst critiques, and demand of themselves very high standards, particularly when it comes to emotional and moral integrity (This is sometimes true and sometimes not. I do like to put my money where my mouth is, so to speak, but I can also justify all kinds of stuff to myself. Most people can. I have found, however, that everything works better when I don't beat myself up over stupid stuff).
INFJs can also be very sensitive to criticism from others, and can regards negative comments as a personal a front (I take criticism very badly and I take everything personally.). when hurt, even if no offense was intended, they may choose to avoid confrontation and clarifications of the other's intentions, and simply retreat and discuss with their cohort later, the offender might never know (yes to all of that).
regardless of type, unexpressed discontent breeds shadow, projection and more discontent, if an INFJ doesn't learn to share their feelings and clarify miscommunication, layers of misinterpretation can build up to the point where the INFJ may become outright condescending of what they believe are another's erroneous values (I doorslam long before that's an issue.).

what INFJs want others to know about them:
in a partner INFJs value mutual support (I'm not sure what that looks like), intimacy (meh), intensity (no) and shared values (that'd be great).
INFJs have a deep and complex inner spiritual life (I don't consider myself spiritual, though I am religious and care about ethics), which they only share with those they absolutely trust (it really depends. sometimes I'm all too free with my opinions), if at all. somethings are simply too precious or emotionally intense to be shared with anyone (that's common courtesy).
INFJs like to be appreciated and recognized for who they are (who doesn't?), and particularly for their understanding of people (I like to be appreciated for tasks I do not how my brain works, which is subjective anyway).
INFJs are themselves great listeners (I can be but am not always. Sometimes I'm quite the oppisite), but also value being listened too (who doesn't?). being consulted and feeling their values have being considered in decision making, is important to all feeling types, and INFJs like to know their input is valued.
INFJs want authenticity (sometimes). they are extremely tolerant and forgiving of others faults and foibles. (Tolerant and forgiving aren't quite the right words. It's more like I make excuses for a long time and doubt whether I'm really understanding what's going on. Eventually, it becomes so obvious that even I can't be in denial anymore and that's it.). in turn they want to be accepted to who they are, especially their insights, which can be confronting to a partner at times (everybody wants to be accepted for who they are. My insights are sometimes great and sometimes shit. I am not my partner's therapist and he does not want or need my insights about himself).
INFJs keep their innermost feelings very closely guarded, to avoid hurting and being hurt by others (usually, yes). emotional disclosure and openness in a partner encourages an INFJ to share more of themselves (no, he just kind of has to put up with it whether he wants it or not because I can't stop myself), also creating the intense intimacy the INFJ craves (is that like electrolytes?).
INFJs are highly independent thinkers on matters relating to people (more like convoluted in my case), and need others to respect the clarity of their feelings (I'm okay as long as you don't invalidate them). they also need the freedom to follow their personal dreams and aspirations. INFJs don't want a partner who craps their style (I don't really have personal dreams or aspirations . . . I know I'm supposed to so I can be all self-actualized and stuff, but I really just want to be comfortable and entertained. I would not, however, get along well with a very controlling partner). they will lovingly support and encourage a partner to pursue their own dreams (I did that for awhile and it didn't go very well so I stopped and now we are a lot better off), and want their partners to be similarly unimposing (he's fine with me doing whatever as long as it doesn't inconvenience him much, which works out okay as a rule).
while INFJs love ministering to people (I really don't so much right now), listening to stories of pain can drain them and they may need to sit down brief with others (there is a reason I don't watch the news). for the INFJ it can be difficult to strike a balance between the Ni need to spend time in reflection and contemplation, and the Fe desire to reach out to people. having regular 'me' time helps avoid emotional burnout. (I err on the side of being a hermit and am happier for it)

common mistakes INFJs make:
especially with people insight, INFJs can spend so much time being tuned into what's happening in another person's psyche that they become oblivious to all sort of problems that are happening in their own lives (I can be oblivious with out such a good excuse but I do try to keep a halfway decent idea of what's going on with my family and troubleshoot problems as they arise, if I'm able). NiFe spends such a lot of time tending for the potential and well being of others, that the INFJ's Ti can become so fixated on self obligations to the outer world, that the core needs of self are overlooked (pretty much avoiding that these days).

if a relationship is valuable, INFJs may also purger their own values to keep the peace, not speaking up when they are upset, or trying to find a more beautiful interpretation of their partners actions. but if an INFJ hides behind nice words too often, the unexpressed desires of the self can lead to bitterness and resentment (my husband is more ethical and principled than I am in most areas, so we're generally fine in that department. since this is something we value about each other, we don't expect the other to compromise values. that would be bad mojo).
NiFe is naturally giving (sometimes), and INFJs are energized by reaching out to encourage, protect and uplift others (and drained at the same time. it's weird). where INFJs can become unstuck, is in failing to recognize that this desire is a self imposed discipline, a personal desire and need. when this is not understood, in a relationship where an INFJ has high degree of emotional investment fails, the INFJ may reframe past events in their mind, so as to position self as having being exploited by the other (yeah, I can and have done this. trying to prevent it from happening in the future). and while it is true that the good nature of the INFJ is often exploited by opportunistic partners, INFJs that don't recognize it is their own compulsion that drives them to serve others, may project onto those who reject their help as having taken them for granted (I run on appreciation. If I can't get it, I quit pretty soon, so it's kind of a self-solving thing for me).

like the INTJ, at times the INFJ can have delusions of grandeur. the INTJ believes they have superior insight into the nature of knowledge, which can lead to arrogantly discounting whole areas of information, so merrily discrediting views and opinions that can not be proven. the INFJ believes they have superior insight into the nature of people, which can lead to arrogantly disregarding science and even people, those who don't follow their model (yeah, but I don't think that's unique to Ni types).

it takes a long time for an INFJ to trust a partner enough to let them into their inner world (as much as I have an inner world, my partner has been in it since a few months after we met, I think).and once part of that inner world, they may expect a partner to operate according to their Ti model of appropriate social protocol and personal morality (we have the good luck of being compatible in this area as a rule, so it's not a big deal most of the time). and ESTP husband once complained of his INFJ wife,"we go out to the club and i'm just having a laugh being charming, and she goes around apologizing for me. look, i live and die by my actions. i don't need a pompous morality lecture. i am who i am. people can make up their own minds" (that's what you get for marrying an opposite and please, God, do not make me go to clubs. thank you).

as with all types, when the child function is threatened, the INFJ can go into meltdown. the INFJ's child function is introverted thinking, an evaluation of personal conduct based social norms and morals. most of the time INFJs can be incredibly sensitive to the emotional lives of others, so it can be really debilitating to realize they have offended someone (probably). having spent so much time writing that Ti model of how to respect and honor others, the realization that they got it wrong can be a crippling upfront to the INFJs basic need to be people-competent. this can be so mortifying that the INFJ may find it difficult to apologize, preferring to reauthor the event to highlight or accentuate all the other good things they have done, hoping the offense is drowned out of contention (yeah, I'm sure I probably do that but I try not to think about it).

in intimate relationships the INFJ desire to establish harmony (harmony is good), and achieve closure when conflict arises, can mean that rather than deal with the issue at hand, the INFJ may simply re-double their expressions of love and affection, without embracing the discomfort that this can cause their partner (both my partner and I are conflict avoidant, but I am less so than he is. I've had to adjust my conflict management style to a way that works for him and it mostly seems to work okay now).

INFJ deal breaks and caveats:
INFJs don't have many deal breakers (oh, I have a list like Santa's lol). like the rest of us, they won't stand abuse (thank God I haven't had to find out). however they are surprisingly long suffering with even incompatible partners for the sake of their children (that sounds horrible and would be a hard choice).
INFJs are patient and gracious partners, who will forgive and forgive and forgive, but when they do finally close the door, there's no going back. (they aren't forgiving, they are trying to figure out what the hell is going on and what they should do about it)
while extremely congenial and accommodating in the outer world (sometimes), the INFJ has extremely deep personal values, like all introverted types, the child function is highly sensible, and being introverted thinking, somewhat rigid. (yeah)

both the INFJ and their partner need to be aware that INFJs do not disavow their inner values easily (no, but I can seem to change them on a dime and I can hold conflicting values at the same time and sometimes I decide my values cannot work irl and just do the best I can even if it's not very good). to change an INFJs requires a careful even methodical rebuilding, systematically explaining how and why encumbered values are causing difficulty (that's not how values work. you don't change them because they are inconvenient. if they are inconvenient, you violate them. you change them when you think they aren't right anymore).
partners and cohort are cautioned to never criticize or offend an INFJs values (you can criticize them, but I will tell you why you are wrong. I don't know how you offend values). to do so may unleash a creative fury, that is difficult for anyone to forget, leaving the INFJ greatly embarrassed and a partner greatly hurt (I've only done this once and not only were my values being violated, my younger brother was the victim and when I retreated to let things cool off, I was followed into my own territory and further hounded. it was not my partner who did this. he has better sense than that). any wonder they get on with the morally unimposing ESTP so well (maybe to hang out but not to live with. I prefer morally compatible to morally unimposing in a partner).
INFJs are fiercely protective of their children, do the wrong thing by the child of an INFJ and the severance would be completely and utterly final. in fact, an INFJ in rage makes a grizzly bear look tame. (yeah, but I'm a decent-sized predator species of mammal so it's not like it's unique to me)

Siúil a Rúin

when the colors fade
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
This thread is so stressful!
Seriously, any close relationship is going to (eventually) have issues because people are people--and type doesn't matter because there are no perfect people. Yeah, yeah...the issues will vary because of type and other things...but this particular discussion is like beating a dead horse. Mane's ex-wife is horrible and INFJs are defensive because we know we're not horrible. And it goes on and on and on. [MENTION=15291]Mane[/MENTION] -- I thought you were ENTP. Just noticed the F.

We need some love around here! Why can't we give love that one more chance? (Under Pressure is an old song, but a good song and I recommend that everyone listen to it now.):hug::wubbie:
Especially some NF love. The NFs that I know (and love) in real life...well, there's just not this problem. It's more like it's us against them! Especially the STJs who are sometimes ruiners of fun. At work they're the ones who guard the budget and have to reign us in. And destroy our dreams (with their practical, no-nonsense, no-rule-bending ways)! They crush our "off-topic" tangents during meetings to keep us on time and so they can take tidy minutes. Let's be mad at them for awhile instead of each other!
(I really appreciate the STJs--someone has to do those boring things and I love them for sacrificing themselves in this way).

I forgot what I was going to say...
Sorry.
You are very sweet, hazelsees, so here is some INFJ-luvin :hug:

These exchanges have gone on for a while, and after being involved with these I've had a chance to recalibrate, and I *think* most people are communicating ideas more than fighting. Fwiw, I don't feel any stress in my exchanges here. I'd like to hear more about your thoughts and experiences on this topic as well.

Okay, I guess I'll play.
What a cool idea, cafe. For some reason it didn't occur to me to do that with the quote that Mane included. It will be fun reading through yours. :)

hazelsees

MBTI Type
INFJ
You are very sweet, hazelsees, so here is some INFJ-luvin :hug:

These exchanges have gone on for a while, and after being involved with these I've had a chance to recalibrate, and I *think* most people are communicating ideas more than fighting. Fwiw, I don't feel any stress in my exchanges here. I'd like to hear more about your thoughts and experiences on this topic as well.

I think I was just overwhelmed last night. My life is a little too busy right now (with chaos and things out of my normal way of being) and if I have to make one more [quick] decision about something, I'm sure I'll fall into catatonia or something. There's so much to read here and all the colors and fonts meaning different things--and I want to comprehend them all--I just can't right now. I want to participate properly, but it will be a while. But I will--because it's an interesting topic--at least to me.
:hug:
Maybe I'll even call up some old boyfriends and ask for their feedback about our relationships. Just not today or even this week.

hazelsees

MBTI Type
INFJ
but you don't even need to fully think it, do you? not consciously - i think this might be indicative of the Ni ability to sort of smell the implications & meaning of something before the thought is fully formed and uttered in one's own mind which allows the Fe to know that this chain of thought 'feels wrong' (a.k.a results in emotional dissonance) before you can even follow it consciously.

Will you explain this a bit more? I'm not quite following you. Thanks!

hazelsees

MBTI Type
INFJ
as with all types, when the child function is threatened, the INFJ can go into meltdown. the INFJ's child function is introverted thinking, an evaluation of personal conduct based social norms and morals. B]most of the time INFJs can be incredibly sensitive to the emotional lives of others[/B], so it can be really debilitating to realize they have offended someone. having spent so much time [/B[]writing that Ti model of how to respect and honor others, the realization that they got it wrong can be a crippling upfront to the INFJs basic need to be people-competent. this can be so mortifying that the INFJ may find it difficult to apologize, preferring to reauthor the event to highlight or accentuate all the other good things they have done, hoping the offense is drowned out of contention.

Wow. Read through the transcript and this stood out. This is so me, although it makes me feel very ashamed. But...I'm trying to better myself so admitting it here--to strangers--is a first step, right? Luckily, this has only happened a handful of times. I hate this about myself.

iNtrovert

MBTI Type
Ni
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
as with all types, when the child function is threatened, the INFJ can go into meltdown. the INFJ's child function is introverted thinking, an evaluation of personal conduct based social norms and morals. B]most of the time INFJs can be incredibly sensitive to the emotional lives of others[/B], so it can be really debilitating to realize they have offended someone. having spent so much time [/B[]writing that Ti model of how to respect and honor others, the realization that they got it wrong can be a crippling upfront to the INFJs basic need to be people-competent. this can be so mortifying that the INFJ may find it difficult to apologize, preferring to reauthor the event to highlight or accentuate all the other good things they have done, hoping the offense is drowned out of contention.

Wow. Read through the transcript and this stood out. This is so me, although it makes me feel very ashamed. But...I'm trying to better myself so admitting it here--to strangers--is a first step, right? Luckily, this has only happened a handful of times. I hate this about myself.

You're not alone. I have done this too. What's worse is I have been known to tell the other person there is something wrong with the way they interpreted my actions and that there is no reason why they should feel the way they feel. I have even gone as far as to tell them if they were offended they are being to sensitive and if they are hurt it's there own fault. Up until now I never knew why I did that. After reading this I would defiantly say it's because I am so careful not to do it. I feel like I put so much thought into it that if they somehow still manage to take it the wrong way it's by their own sensitivity not by my miscalculation. I know now that is wrong and I feel horrible about it :cry:

S

Society

Will you explain this a bit more? I'm not quite following you. Thanks!

oh, just speculation, i wasn't sure about that part or how that works exactly, if at all. just trying to put two and two together here, thinking out loud...

see one of the concepts introduced to me by INFJs and reaffirmed throughout getting familiar with more here - a notion which i found very foreign - was that a thought can be ugly. before that i considered some thoughts awesome and even beautiful, other thoughts can be boring or uninspiring, other thoughts can be worrying, but... i've never quite considered that thoughts can be judged as ugly or distasteful or.. i am trying to think of a better term here, "not worth thinking" ? an "unwelcomed thought"? anyway....

in certain situations, it seems like INFJs are able to judge a thought prior to actually thinking it, and choose to not think it at all.

so let's say A leads to B which implies C
but C is judged as ugly (a thought one desires to not think?)...
and so they thus choose to not go from A to B at all.

it's as if the thought was discontinued at A on the basis of the implications of C.

i say "prior" here with a certain reservations regarding a leap of assumptions - i can say that at least it looks from the outside like you have never thought the actual thought, never uttered it in full within your own minds, and instead choose to put a lock on it or walk around it... it's sort of like the opposite phenomena to what described in the video's bit about inferior Se. it's as if your mind is capable of walking around your own eggshells. like there are situations things are on the tip of your tongue but you won't say them, you seem to have situations where something is on the tip of your mind, but you won't think it.

cafe

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
oh, just speculation, i wasn't sure about that part or how that works exactly, if at all. just trying to put two and two together here, thinking out loud...

see one of the concepts introduced to me by INFJs and reaffirmed throughout getting familiar with more here - a notion which i found very foreign - was that a thought can be ugly. before that i considered some thoughts awesome and even beautiful, other thoughts can be boring or uninspiring, other thoughts can be worrying, but... i've never quite considered that thoughts can be judged as ugly or distasteful or.. i am trying to think of a better term here, "not worth thinking" ? an "unwelcomed thought"? anyway....

in certain situations, it seems like INFJs are able to judge a thought prior to actually thinking it, and choose to not think it at all.

so let's say A leads to B which implies C
but C is judged as ugly (a thought one desires to not think?)...
and so they thus choose to not go from A to B at all.

it's as if the thought was discontinued at A on the basis of the implications of C.

i say "prior" here with a certain reservations regarding a leap of assumptions - i can say that at least it looks from the outside like you have never thought the actual thought, never uttered it in full within your own minds, and instead choose to put a lock on it or walk around it... it's sort of like the opposite phenomena to what described in the video's bit about inferior Se. it's as if your mind is capable of walking around your own eggshells. like there are situations things are on the tip of your tongue but you won't say them, you seem to have situations where something is on the tip of your mind, but you won't think it.
Yeah. I can and do do that. It's like those stories where someone has a wish granted but the condition is that the person never open a particular box, but they always give into curiosity and open the box and ruin their wish. I can keep from opening the box for a very long time, if not forever. But the box is in my head.

S

Society

Yeah. I can and do do that. It's like those stories where someone has a wish granted but the condition is that the person never open a particular box, but they always give into curiosity and open the box and ruin their wish. I can keep from opening the box for a very long time, if not forever. But the box is in my head.

how is that experienced? i mean... that moment of (subconsciously?) deciding to not think B (in the A->B->C), to not open the box... how is the ugliness of C experienced? "smell" was the best metaphor i could come up with to how the reaction to it looks on the outside (sometimes with fitting facial expressions), but... how is it experienced on the inside when it happens?

cafe

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
how is that experienced? i mean... that moment of (subconsciously?) deciding to not think B (in the A->B->C), to not open the box... how is the ugliness of C experienced? "smell" was the best metaphor i could come up with to how the reaction to it looks on the outside (sometimes with fitting facial expressions), but... how is it experienced on the inside when it happens?
Maybe like you can kind of see it in the distance and get a vague idea what's up ahead and instead of going in for a closer look, you think "That does not look good. I can't see anything good coming out of going there." And then just go someplace else. I suppose part of the brain kinda goes there but you don't let yourself dwell on it or explore it and if it tries, you redirect it.

I would imagine the way you would decide it doesn't look like a good place to go would be based on past experiences and observations. My brain is always projecting where things are going to end up if things continue on their current path or where I'd like to see things going and what I need to do in order to get from point A to point B or what improvements I would make if I did a particular thing again. It won't really stay in the present unless I make it and I can only do that so long, so I don't even have to try to see what I think is going to happen. It just sort of does it on it's own, although working out alternative scenarios and planning takes actual focus and effort.

I don't know if that's how it works for all INFJs or if it's an INFJ specific thing or if that helps at all.

S

Society

I don't know if that's how it works for all INFJs or if it's an INFJ specific thing or if that helps at all.

it is, feedback from others is welcomed.

Maybe like you can kind of see it in the distance and get a vague idea what's up ahead and instead of going in for a closer look, you think "That does not look good. I can't see anything good coming out of going there." And then just go someplace else. I suppose part of the brain kinda goes there but you don't let yourself dwell on it or explore it and if it tries, you redirect it.

so... what happens when someone else opens the box?

cafe

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
it is, feedback from others is welcomed.

so... what happens when someone else opens the box?
I shut it back as quickly as politely possible. I might think about whether it might be good to address it with them later but if I'm not expecting it, I will slam on the brakes. If they corner me and won't back off, I'll likely go on the offensive at least enough to get away. It really doesn't happen all that often, though.

S

Society

a quick check up:
@iNtrovert (btw, that's pretty much how in interpret your signiture) @fia @the state i am in @Lexicon @hazelsees

and while i'm at it

do you identify with what @cafe is describing? locking the ugly or undesired thought on the horizon in a box before thinking it?

a.k.a. this

21%

You have a choice!
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
Since I've been summoned, here goes:

What you've described sounds familiar. I know I think a lot, and I think of a lot of ugly thoughts that scare even myself. I don't know, maybe it's Ni, and I keep asking questions about 'what the box is'. I need to make sense of my whole experience, so I keep shifting my perspective and tearing down and changing my internal frameworks about everything. Sometimes, this can get uncomfortable. If you want to know what it feels like try to imagine limbo in Inception -- it's a bit like that for me, and sometimes I when I'm about to arrive in this empty, self-deconstructing land, I stop myself and say maybe I shouldn't go there right now.

I'm not sure if that makes sense or if it's what you're describing. If a thought is ugly, it's ugly in the sense that it is somehow true, and that it goes against everything I believe in, and will negate everything we believe about the universe.

Siúil a Rúin

when the colors fade
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I should try to find links to some research that shows people make decisions unconsciously before they are aware of them, so I'm not certain how that relates.

I'll have to spend a bit of time thinking about the concept of locking out negative thoughts before thinking them. When I have to feel courage I can narrow down my thinking so I can complete that single task like when I overcame driving anxiety. I have struggled in my life with negative thoughts that become repetitive and oppressive which usually have to do with my social failures or self-criticism and depreciation. I will analyze the scenario from every conceivable vantage point, exploring every possible explanation for what was said, unsaid, and non-verbal signals.

Like when I was a teenager I was on the outskirts of a group of friends I really wanted to be connected to, and I obsessed over every minutia of our interactions trying to make sense of the rejection. When I feel disconnected and vulnerable romantically, even now I obsess over social minutia between me and someone important to me. When I was teaching a class at the local university, my colleagues were consistently putting me down in subtle ways, and that environment made me physically sick, and I would obsess about it when not at the university, so I had to quit that job. In those instances I do the opposite of what is described because I want to stop thinking about what I could have done wrong, but I get locked into it. I internalize the emotional dynamics of my environments, and so on the one hand I have limited ability to filter my thoughts.

Can I block a negative thought before thinking it consciously? It requires a significant level of self-awareness to identify that, which I always work at achieving, but I can't answer with a simple "yes", because I don't know. I typically have to leave a scenario or situation to recover or I can be flooded with the negativity.

Could this be one of those traits that can go to either extreme?

Eilonwy

Vulnerability
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I haven't read the whole thread, and only skimmed what [MENTION=15291]Mane[/MENTION] wrote because my time is very limited right now, so I'm not sure if what I'm going to write is relevant or not.

Pertaining to *ugly* thoughts: being interested in human nature, I started exploring the uglier side of it and read a lot of books about serial killers and the people who study them. After reading Robert Ressler's book and the book about BTK, I started trying to put myself in the killers' heads in order to better understand them. But, I found that I started losing the better part of myself by thinking that way and that was too scary, so I backed off (it was way too easy to act on what I was thinking). I don't know if type has anything to do with it, because those people who do it for a living in order to profile and catch killers say that eventually it burns them out or gets to them in some way. I have no evidence for this, but perhaps INFJ wiring might make us more susceptible to succumbing to taking those types of thoughts on as our own (or at least maybe we think that we'll end up taking those thoughts on as our own), and then acting on those thoughts, and that's why we shy away from them rather than explore them fully.

And, yes, there's always the possibility that we just don't want to think badly of ourselves, but I don't think that type of behavior is limited to INFJ or any particular type.

ETA: Throwing another thought out there: Perhaps Ni focusing on possibilities + Fe focusing on other, initially makes for a weaker, or more tenuous, sense of self than other combinations. Without a strong core sense of self (which can maybe be developed), it's scarier to explore in the way you're describing because one can get lost in the exploring? Also, then possibly more protective of what sense of self there is?

Sorry if none of this is relevant.

Also, I agree with what fidelia's upstream post says about it taking a lot of energy.

CuriousFeeling

From the Undertow
MBTI Type
INfJ
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
[MENTION=15291]Mane[/MENTION] since we're focusing on the hypothetical Pandora's Box thing here....

It sounds like it's a description of avoiding the ugly thoughts or potential bad things that could happen, so some INFJs may shut it away. Sometimes this happens with me, but ultimately those inner demons can pop out at the worst moments, causing great anxiety of the very worst thing that could happen in a relationship, or even in any walk of life. But, I also feel a morbid curiosity to the dark side of human nature, and often times, I go through spirals of being totally cynical about people and society. But at the same time, I think, "Is this really truth though? Is this someone's intentions? Will this actually happen? It doesn't seem consistent with what I observe in front of me." But yes, like Eilonwy mentioned, I also put myself into perpetrators' shoes and understand how they tick.

I ultimately feel that an awareness of the dark side of humanity makes me even more armed. It's a method of protection, and it becomes a moral cause to protect those who are close to me from those who will do harm.
I used to be the person who wore rose-colored glasses as a child, but due to seeing the corruption in human nature, my spectacles have turned to jade. So I'm usually cynical and skeptical about things. It tends to affect relationships for me. Got this stone fortress that others have to get past before they can get to my inner sanctum.

I hope this answers your question, Mane.