User Tag List

View Poll Results: How do you rate this book?

Voters
8. You may not vote on this poll
  • * (worst)

0 0%

0 0%

1 12.50%

1 12.50%
  • ***** (best)

6 75.00%

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ILI Ni

Default Character and Neurosis - An Integrative View

This book by Claudio Naranjo is one of the seminal books on the Enneagram. With chapters like "Envy and Depressive Masochistic Character (type 4)", "Gluttony, Fraudulence and Narcissistic Personality (type 7)" and "Pride and The Histrionic Personality (type 2)", this book doesn't pull any punches on the fixations of each type. As often seems to be the case with innovators in their field, Naranjo communicates a depth of insight on the types that goes beyond what is found in other works. Reading a chapter a second and third time reveals new understanding as there are layers upon layers of meaning in the content. It is as if the author, who knows a great deal more than they are communicating, is trying to pull out and distill a set of key insights or points for a broader audience to understand. Because of this attempt to dumb it down, you miss several nuances and points the first time you read it. It isn't light reading but I highly recommend this book.

I give this book 4.5 out of 5 stars. The only reason I don't give it 5 is my personal bias towards the practical. The book will appeal more to types that appreciate theoretical and conceptual content.
    Last edited by highlander; 03-14-2014 at 08:25 PM.

Please provide feedback on my Nohari and Johari Window by clicking here: Nohari/Johari

Tri-type 639

MBTI
    Ne
    Enneagram
    468 sx/so
    Socionics
    :-( None

Naranjo is sometimes criticized for his take-no-prisoners approach in describing the most neurotic versions of each type, but I found that Character and Neurosis rather remarkably scraped away the bullshit that had accreted in my mind around the types.

It's also helpful to know that Naranjo is a psychiatrist and has used his insights to really get inside the processes happening inside one's mind. You will see yourself on these pages; and the author will touch upon those weird little psychological perceptions you've never told anyone. It doesn't make for light reading, so you may wish to read it after you've already acquainted yourself with the enneagram.

The book does indeed veer away from the practical, as the author cites many--sometimes dull--psychiatric precedents in his general introductions of the types. However, if one reads the "Trait Structure" sections, it will immeasurably broaden your perspective of what lies behind each type. Naranjo, thank God, gets beyond behavior-based descriptions that are the cause of so much mistyping mayhem.

Best of all, most of this book can be found reprinted online. Strongly recommended for those who wish to broaden their knowledge of this system beyond the standard Wisdom of the Enneagram and Personality Types. This book will alter your perceptions of MANY of the types. Five stars!

It's the only one I've found theoretically unambiguous. He used his experience and explained the nuances in a way that made sense. I guess that means I adopted his way of looking at enneagram then, but he kept things simple and yet explained the core neurosis of each type in a way that allowed me to understand how certain types related, but more importantly, where he drew a line on how they differed and why. This was a lot more insightful to me compared to explanations that focus on how the types are only different because then there are too many ambiguities on how they relate. And he had plenty of examples of different people to relate his abstract ideas back to reality, which is nice because he was able to share his experiences of being a psychiatrist, sharing the benefits of lots of effort put into trying to understand people through the filter of the enneagram.

Certified Sausage Smoker Elfboy's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    SLI None

@highlander
    "Pride and Histrionic Personality Disorder" is type 2, not type 6
    ENFP: We put the Fi in Fire
    ENFP
    5w4>1w9>2w1 Sx/Sp
    SEE-Fi
    Papa Bear
    Motivation: Dark Worker
    Alignment: Chaotic Neutral
    Chibi Seme
    MTG Color: black/red
    Male Archtype: King/Lover
    Sunburst!
    "You are a gay version of Gambit" Speed Gavroche
    "I wish that I could be affected by any hate, but I can't, cuz I just get affected by the bank" Chamillionaire

Wake, See, Sing, Dance Cellmold's Avatar

'One of (Lucas) Cranach's masterpieces, discussed by (Joseph) Koerner, is in it's self-referentiality the perfect expression of left-hemisphere emptiness and a precursor of post-modernism. There is no longer anything to point to beyond, nothing Other, so it points pointlessly to itself.' - Iain McGilChrist

Suppose a tree fell down, Pooh, when we were underneath it?"
    "Suppose it didn't," said Pooh, after careful thought.
    Piglet was comforted by this.
    - A.A. Milne.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ILI Ni

Quote Originally Posted by Elfboy View Post
    @highlander
    "Pride and Histrionic Personality Disorder" is type 2, not type 6
    Whoops . But of course you are right. OP changed.

Please provide feedback on my Nohari and Johari Window by clicking here: Nohari/Johari

Tri-type 639