View Poll Results: ISTP or INTP?

Voters
6. You may not vote on this poll
  • ISTP

0 0%
  • INTP

6 100.00%
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Was Leonardo da Vinci an ISTP or INTP?

Banned Array
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sx/so
    Socionics
    Will

Default Was Leonardo da Vinci an ISTP or INTP?

I have commonly seen him typed as both on various threads throughout the internet. Which one is he?

da Vinci quotes:
    “Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication.”
    “Life is pretty simple: You do some stuff. Most fails. Some works. You do more of what works. If it works big, others quickly copy it. Then you do something else. The trick is the doing something else.”
    “The greatest deception men suffer is from their own opinions.”
    “There are three classes of people: those who see. Those who see when they are shown. Those who do not see.”
    “I have been impressed with the urgency of doing. Knowing is not enough; we must apply. Being willing is not enough; we must do.”
    “The knowledge of all things is possible”
    “All sciences are vain and full of errors that are not born of Experience, the mother of all Knowledge.”
    “Principles for the Development of a Complete Mind: Study the science of art. Study the art of science. Develop your senses- especially learn how to see. Realize that everything connects to everything else.”
    “Blinding ignorance does mislead us. O! Wretched mortals, open your eyes!”

MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    9w8 sx/sp

OK, so I am no expert on this, but is it really possible to accurately type people who have been dead for years and nobody actually knows them or has met them? Even when typing celebrities based on interviews and public persona i still wonder how accurate it can be?

Quote Originally Posted by lauranna View Post
    OK, so I am no expert on this, but is it really possible to accurately type people who have been dead for years and nobody actually knows them or has met them? Even when typing celebrities based on interviews and public persona i still wonder how accurate it can be?
    I agree, it's not that clear. You can tell sometimes by the method of reasoning they consistently use though. Like Steven Hawking jumps out to me as Ne and Ti (and I think he's ENTP, not INTP.. despite being immobilized and in a wheelchair. He refers to his reasoning indirectly and focuses consistently on outside objects and possibilities, and presents a lot situational "thought experiments" to make his point, not walking you through the reasoning itself.. like Descartes or Kant would do). Don't know much about Da Vinci though. At first glance, I would have thought introverted perception.

Extroverted functions, being extroverted, are easier to see as well. If you single out which one it is, then you might be able limit what other corresponding ones are working with it. But sometimes, it's easy to mistake behaviors in isolated instances as typical of the person as a whole. You would see Se in ENJs, for example, but it could be broken down further.

Senior Member Array alcea rosea's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7w6
    Socionics
    ????

Based on a book (based on his diaries) that I read, I'd definitely say he was a primary Ne user, so ENTP.

Banned Array
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sx/so
    Socionics
    Will

Quote Originally Posted by alcea rosea View Post
    Based on a book (based on his diaries) that I read, I'd definitely say he was a primary Ne user, so ENTP.
    Does an ENTP write, observe, draw, and paint in extremely elaborate detail? An INTP or ISTP would. If he was dominant intuition, he wouldn't be focusing on these experience based phenomena. Ti might.

Quote Originally Posted by RaptorWizard View Post
    Does an ENTP write, observe, draw, and paint in extremely elaborate detail? An INTP or ISTP would. If he was dominant intuition, he wouldn't be focusing on these experience based phenomena. Ti might.
    Of course they can do that. Types aren't behaviors. The reasoning and impetus behind the behaviors is the difference. And N isn't so removed from observation as to be blind. All perceptive functions see and experience things. That's why it's Perceiving. Like I said, I don't know enough about him to say ENTJ, INTP, or ESTJ or whatever, but I know that types don't work that way. Think about it for a second. Those behavioral descriptions on the net are just beyond stupid. Like ISFPs are "artists" and ISTPs are mechanics. Nothing is that simple.

Anew Leaf

Quote Originally Posted by KDude View Post
    Of course they can do that. Types aren't behaviors. The reasoning and impetus behind the behaviors is the difference. And N isn't so removed from observation as to be blind. All perceptive functions see and experience things. That's why it's Perceiving. Like I said, I don't know enough about him to say ENTJ, INTP, or ESTJ or whatever, but I know that types don't work that way. Think about it for a second. Those behavioral descriptions on the net are just beyond stupid. Like ISFPs are "artists" and ISTPs are mechanics. Nothing is that simple.
    I agree with this here.

I will admit that my guess would be that he is an ENTP based on what I studied of him during my tenure as an art major in college.

However, threads like these are the ultimate time wasting Italian roundabouts to nowhere.

Banned Array
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sx/so
    Socionics
    Will

Behold the marriage of the physical with the imagination... both S and N lol

Senior Member Array alcea rosea's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7w6
    Socionics
    ????

Quote Originally Posted by RaptorWizard View Post
    I don't mean detail and all that stuff. I mean how he writes in his diaries about his thought process, his behavior, being interested in everything, doing everything, changing of his inspiration in a second, and his enthusiasm and his skills in brainstorming and developing new, being able to came up with new ways of doing things and the enthusiasm of all things. I would say quite definitely that what he writes in his diaries is a pretty sharp description of Ne in use. But he isn't too much of considering other people and so on, so I would say rather ENTP than any F-type. His secondary function would then be Ti which would of course be quite logical for "Leonardo the generalist".

Banned Array
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sx/so
    Socionics
    Will

http://www.celebritytypes.com/intp.php

The above website has da Vinci listed as INTP.

http://forums.intpcentral.com/archiv...hp/t-1657.html

On the above forum they make cases for ISTP, INTP, and ENTP, but INTP seems more likely since that is the balancing point between those 3 types.