User Tag List

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Female ISTP's... how do you act?

Default Female ISTP's... how do you act?

Every ISTP I can think of is male... and the personality type tends to skew more towards classic male stereotypes. I know I have met female ISTP's, but I wouldn't be able to pick them out in a crowd.

How to female ISTP's behave?

**My best guess would be that they would tend to play down their true character due to the stereotypical male characteristics. If they don't, they would come off to be somewhat tomboyish.

Also, I'd guess you'd find them playing sports and interested in more technical areas like practical science and computers. What do you guys think? Any good female ISTP descriptions, or dead giveaways that have influenced you to believe the girl is an ISTP?

Actually that can be said of any type with a strong "T", which is why it's hard for females to see the T in themselves, and males the "F". We only compound the problem in following the train of thought on people who developed these systems during a period when the male/female gender roles were more pronounced. Actually taking the gender biasness out of any description would be of benefit to many. As for your inquiry, I have yet to find very many ISTPs on the forums that coincide with the sterotypical description of being mechanically inclined. Besides, I have given my thoughts that the description originated as valuing mechanics (artistry, skills and technique) and morphed into being mechanical.

MBTI
    INtP
    Enneagram
    549 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII

Quote Originally Posted by cdal233 View Post
    Every ISTP I can think of is male... and the personality type tends to skew more towards classic male stereotypes. I know I have met female ISTP's, but I wouldn't be able to pick them out in a crowd.
    The only one I have met left me unsure of her type until after I didn't see her much and then it all clicked.

She did have longish hair but otherwise did act and dress rather tomboyish. I really enjoyed spending time with her (we were working on a church project together) because she seemed to be relaxed, had good thinking (made very good general arguments for things and could devise strategy well) and she even had a silly streak and could laugh at Monty Python - style humor... but she wasn't really goofy in general and seemed very level-headed.

She was flexy but resilient in nature and generally good-natured and open to listening to others even if she easily could criticize their ideas for not making sense. She ended up getting advanced degrees in languages and Bible translation, which seems to fit decently.
    Hey Capa. We're only stardust.

She was waiting, but she didn't know for what. She was aware only of her solitude, and of the penetrating cold, and of a greater weight in the region of her heart. ~ Albert Camus

Movie Reviews: What Jenny Saw

insert random title here Array Randomnity's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

Be more specific in what you're asking.

I play sports (but I'm not much good), I like practical science (bio). I guess I am something of a tomboy but I'm not butch either. Beyond that, well, what do you want to know?

A description I have found accurate: ISTP - Introverted Thinking with Sensing

Saint Nicololololas Array The Ü™'s Avatar
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx
    Socionics
    ILE

Aren't the descriptions of types at Berens' website based upon interviews of actual people of the type?

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    She did have longish hair but otherwise did act and dress rather tomboyish.
    I really don't think that descriptions can give an indication of how anyone looks. What I know from (okay Mom here goes my kudo for the Tiegers) is from the "Art of Speedreading People" book and see in myself, is that SP types in general prefer to wear loose fitting clothes, prefer a backpack to a briefcase, clothes must be functional. I would prefer to dress casual than formal. On the weekends, I usually prefer wearing sweats to jeans, and this may be TMI I really hate feeling restrained in my clothing so I have not owned a pair of underwear in over twenty years. I may start off in wearing clothes to bed, but during the night I will usually at some point completely undress. Another thing that I agree with in most instances is that, when I am in public even on the weekends, I will comb my hair and look presentable. I think that is very SP-ish even for the introverted types.
    Last edited by "?"; 02-18-2008 at 02:13 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Uberfuhrer View Post
    Aren't the descriptions of types at Berens' website based upon interviews of actual people of the type?
    Because it is written in first person, by those of that type and not by theorists taking part of their description from past description, I like this description foremost. I even think the ISTP-INTJ-INTP comparison fits me for the reasons given. Back to the descriptions specifically the Analyzer-Operator (ISTP, did you notice that when interviewing the type, there was never mention of liking or being interested in mechanical things?

I even like this one and Hale’s descriptions are good, although they can no longer be found without paying for them. Years ago there was an ISTP forum that I belonged to. When the mechanical question was asked, the response was that you are taking the descriptions too seriously.

My best friend is an 21 year old ISTP who is studying biological-chemistry. She grew up being very spoiled, very wild, disorganized (still, to a point), very sporty and "tomboish" even with her waist-length hair which she's never cared doing on her own. Her mother has always taken care of it. She once cut it up to her cheeks while living for a few years in East Africa b/c it was a hassle with the heat but it grew back to her waist in two years or so when she returned to Canada(she's kept it this long since). She dressed "tomboyishly" as a child/young teen but now is much more femininely dressed (though if she doesn't care to sometimes, she just won't). She always gets hit on but tells most guys off as they seem incredibly stupid to her as she hates being approached in that sense--(it's never worthy guys either. And I know---). It's embarassing to her, she doesn't know how to react nicely. Really, they're budding into her space. It's not an emotional thing at all. It's just her 'space' and not knowing this person who dares to bother her.

She also doesn't openly display her high intelligence, outside of class/even then, or express her real feelings AT ALL (except to me). She has no problem reacting to people or telling them what she thinks (She'll tell you esp. if you don't like to hear it!! Are you kidding me? lol). She'll zoom in and tear a deemed person's flawed logic apart if she cares to. If she doesn't care to at the time, she doesn't bother. She's very carefree in that sense and in general. She can act/seem childlike and curious and she's so much fun to be around. And also seem like a guy in nature from what others say about her despite appearing seemingly feminine

She seems more extroverted than she really is if she goes out once w/ ppl and parties w/ them (even while being more detatched/observatory and then joins in the fest unless she's already familiar with them). People think they're her friend but she thinks of them as acquaintances (or ppl who are useful). She may talk but she never displays her true opinions/esp.feelings about topics important to her. She'll tell you her opinion of YOU or someone or an event etc. She is FIERCE with her personal space and no one invades. She can tolerate other people. Or mock them. Or incite them into their stupidity...she's a real devil's advocate....she can even get me to be more devilish when I try to be more appropriate in situations/with people.

She can seem like a bitch to others b/c she's VERY blunt and doesn't realise how she comes across as she reacts in the moment and mostly doesn't care. This is mostly towards people our age, not older, unless deserving of her bluntess which she will not spare them decency. (I find it funny that people often endear her for it or try to be friends once she's told them off!!!! ) She didn't care so much before but now she's more aware. She's blamed me for being her 'conscience' and cursed me for it lol but she's joking. She rejects other's opinions if it greatly varies from her own and it isn't objective to her (feelings? please, she doesn't even trust her own--). Conflict w/ others doesn't bother her. Sometimes, she can have the most explosive rage when someone's exasperated her beyond logical thinking (as in they weren't, she tried getting them to be) and enjoys the idea of 'revenge' even when not acted on (revenge can be destroying a person with words/values)....and it freaks people b/c she seems so 'impassive' or carefree or quiet. And she doesn't like to be approached during that time (time for 'space'). I know better to leave her, she'll seek me when ready. If people bother her then, she'll likely make them cry for it.

She can be extremely stubborn. She'll always claim she's right, even when wrong...but she largely does that to others she doesn't care about. She can be reasoned with (she's very reasonable) but sometimes it's hard getting her to be considerate of others feelings or seeing the value in it if it doesn't directly effect her (not family/friends).

I hope I gave an insightful account for you. I wonder your curiousity on female ISTPs, though ...

Quote Originally Posted by Randomnity View Post
    Be more specific in what you're asking.

I play sports (but I'm not much good), I like practical science (bio). I guess I am something of a tomboy but I'm not butch either. Beyond that, well, what do you want to know?

A description I have found accurate: ISTP - Introverted Thinking with Sensing
    The main thing that I'm interested in is certain personality characteristics that would be a dead giveaway that you are an ISTP female.

DeliriousDisposition did a pretty good job at getting pretty specific with her best friend, detail like that is priceless.

I really try to understand before I type... thats why I'm skeptical to assume anything, especially with a difficult type to understand fully.

Quote Originally Posted by DeliriousDisposition View Post
    My best friend is an 21 year old ISTP who is studying biological-chemistry. She grew up being very spoiled, very wild, disorganized (still, to a point), very sporty and "tomboish" even with her waist-length hair which she's never cared doing on her own. Her mother has always taken care of it. She once cut it up to her cheeks while living for a few years in East Africa b/c it was a hassle with the heat but it grew back to her waist in two years or so when she returned to Canada(she's kept it this long since). She dressed "tomboyishly" as a child/young teen but now is much more femininely dressed (though if she doesn't care to sometimes, she just won't). She always gets hit on but tells most guys off as they seem incredibly stupid to her as she hates being approached in that sense--(it's never worthy guys either. And I know---). It's embarassing to her, she doesn't know how to react nicely. Really, they're budding into her space. It's not an emotional thing at all. It's just her 'space' and not knowing this person who dares to bother her.

She also doesn't openly display her high intelligence, outside of class/even then, or express her real feelings AT ALL (except to me). She has no problem reacting to people or telling them what she thinks (She'll tell you esp. if you don't like to hear it!! Are you kidding me? lol). She'll zoom in and tear a deemed person's flawed logic apart if she cares to. If she doesn't care to at the time, she doesn't bother. She's very carefree in that sense and in general. She can act/seem childlike and curious and she's so much fun to be around. And also seem like a guy in nature from what others say about her despite appearing seemingly feminine

She seems more extroverted than she really is if she goes out once w/ ppl and parties w/ them (even while being more detatched/observatory and then joins in the fest unless she's already familiar with them). People think they're her friend but she thinks of them as acquaintances (or ppl who are useful). She may talk but she never displays her true opinions/esp.feelings about topics important to her. She'll tell you her opinion of YOU or someone or an event etc. She is FIERCE with her personal space and no one invades. She can tolerate other people. Or mock them. Or incite them into their stupidity...she's a real devil's advocate....she can even get me to be more devilish when I try to be more appropriate in situations/with people.

She can seem like a bitch to others b/c she's VERY blunt and doesn't realise how she comes across as she reacts in the moment and mostly doesn't care. This is mostly towards people our age, not older, unless deserving of her bluntess which she will not spare them decency. (I find it funny that people often endear her for it or try to be friends once she's told them off!!!! ) She didn't care so much before but now she's more aware. She's blamed me for being her 'conscience' and cursed me for it lol but she's joking. She rejects other's opinions if it greatly varies from her own and it isn't objective to her (feelings? please, she doesn't even trust her own--). Conflict w/ others doesn't bother her. Sometimes, she can have the most explosive rage when someone's exasperated her beyond logical thinking (as in they weren't, she tried getting them to be) and enjoys the idea of 'revenge' even when not acted on (revenge can be destroying a person with words/values)....and it freaks people b/c she seems so 'impassive' or carefree or quiet. And she doesn't like to be approached during that time (time for 'space'). I know better to leave her, she'll seek me when ready. If people bother her then, she'll likely make them cry for it.

She can be extremely stubborn. She'll always claim she's right, even when wrong...but she largely does that to others she doesn't care about. She can be reasoned with (she's very reasonable) but sometimes it's hard getting her to be considerate of others feelings or seeing the value in it if it doesn't directly effect her (not family/friends).

I hope I gave an insightful account for you. I wonder your curiousity on female ISTPs, though ...
    Wow... this is an excellent description. You really go into great detail, thank you very much, this is exactly what I was looking for, but didn't quite know how to explain. Interestingly, I feel I've definitely met a couple ISTP females in my life after reading this description.

And now I owe you my motivation for curiosity right?

I have a few ISTP male friends (one my brother), and the difference is pretty shocking, and it seemingly all is contributed to gender stereotypes and what society expects from people.

Also, there's a girl in one of my chemistry labs that has a very intriguing personality that is closer to ISTP than any other. Don't know for sure if shes ISTP, don't feel like I know her well enough... but it's my best guess on the superficial level I have so far. I'll have a better idea the next time I talk to her.

And I'm not gonna lie, the personal motivation was a little stronger than the theoretical motivation

Quote Originally Posted by cdal233 View Post
    Wow... this is an excellent description. You really go into great detail, thank you very much, this is exactly what I was looking for, but didn't quite know how to explain. Interestingly, I feel I've definitely met a couple ISTP females in my life after reading this description.
    No problemo Though, once I finish my hassling her into joining MBTIc, she'll destroy me for not making her sound more brilliant. And exclaim that she is the best ISTP there is! lol (she jokes like that). We were actually discussing her type and her life story the day or so before you posted this so it hadn't dissolved within my mind yet (INFJ's weakest Demonic process is Si...). Perhaps you willed us to discuss as we weren't even in due for reminiscing lol

And now I owe you my motivation for curiosity right?
    You better believe it!

I have a few ISTP male friends (one my brother), and the difference is pretty shocking, and it seemingly all is contributed to gender stereotypes and what society expects from people.

Also, there's a girl in one of my chemistry labs that has a very intriguing personality that is closer to ISTP than any other. Don't know for sure if shes ISTP, don't feel like I know her well enough... but it's my best guess on the superficial level I have so far. I'll have a better idea the next time I talk to her.
    Well, I'd say if you're not familiar with her as a friend yet don't encroach. Observe her first, find some bridge that's realistic and not suspicious of motive...or she won't buy it lol Use a friend to help! Make him look bad! (JK lol or not... ) Unless she's a healthier range of her type, she may not like you immediately and even then lol. Even though I was blamed for my best/f's new conscience, it was through her own doing that she became 'nicer' (still working on that lol). She's had her own personal history of issues. As will anyone else of any Type, so it's hard basing one ISTP off of another or an INTP Just so you know, Introverted Feeling is an ISTP's DEMONIC Cognitive Process!! The worst of the worst! They don't trust their feelings let alone others'! With growth, they'll change. Or if surrounded/grew up with people who helped them through the awkwardness of feelings.

I couldn't point yet the difference b/w ISTP females and males but I'll say I know she gets apprehensive when feelings are 'extroverted' to her by ANYone. Even if she tries making someone feel better, it's awkward watching her (even when she tries helping me lolol). She'll sooner start joking to cheer someone up if she barely knows them. Unless they truly tell her all and expect to her to be serious which she'll do and then end with a joke to lighten it up (she can't stand sappy movies for the most part. LOVES action/killing/explosives/fighting/hot men lol) But for me, her best friend, she'll be serious from the start, still with jokes dispersed, and want to get rid of this problem pronto. She'll forget about it a week or so later (honestly forget if it wasn't serious). I wonder how simliar a male would be with regards to 'feelings'. I'd think an ISTP male would be even less likely to show it. How's your brother, the same in that regard?

And I'm not gonna lie, the personal motivation was a little stronger than the theoretical motivation
    You're telling an INFJ, buddy. Really, anyone could've figured that out. Silly INTP~

Edit: I should add, her conscience aside, my friend is openly friendly with all (if not hitting on her from the start). It's the childlike attitude that reels'em in!