veteran attention whore Jeffster's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESFP
    Enneagram
    7w6 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Quote Originally Posted by animenagai View Post
    i've never really realized that reading into things can be so annoying to some people. i thought it was a preference and nothing more. do you guys think it'll be wiser to be more straight up around S's then? would that put them more at ease?
    It definitely puts me more at ease.
    Jeffster Illustrates the Artisan Temperament <---- click here

"I like the sigs with quotes in them from other forum members." -- Oberon

The SP Spazz Youtube Channel

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by Grayscale View Post
    exactly. i hate it when people read between the lines.

it is not that i am not aware of the possible meaning behind what someone is said, it is that i hate it when people assume things and so i dont do that to others.

i also believe that clear and to-the-point communication is the most efficient, it is easier to just say what you mean. otherwise, you are placing a responsibility on the other person to "figure you out", why should they have to do that exactly?

take this thread for example:

http://www.typologycentral.com/forum...6-cameras.html

i am the only person in the entire thread who directly answered his question. if this was me asking, it would piss me off if people questioned why i wanted that or suggested alternatives when that is not what i asked for. just answer my damn question and let me take care of it!
    But the OP was not knowledgeable for what was out there, and his idea was a bad one. Those more knowledgeable steered the OP in a different direction.

I am frustrated by memories from junior high when I was asking a lot of questions about things I didn't know anything about, and people gave me direct answers... and in retrospect I wasted a lot of my time following stupid interests that would've been genuinely interesting and worth the time investment if only someone had steered me in the right direction; a tangent of my original flawed plan.
    *You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body.
    *Faith is the art of holding on to things your reason once accepted, despite your changing moods.
    C.S. Lewis

this is quite interesting. a lot of times i feel that my SFP friends were better than me at reading people, but i guess they can be reading signs, while i was reading vibes. one of my friends is a psych major too, so i guess he can deviate from the norm
    I think plenty of SPs are good at reading people including vibes. I would think you need to ask a much larger sample than the handful we have here.

MBTI
    isfp

Quote Originally Posted by alicia91 View Post
    I think plenty of SPs are good at reading people including vibes. I would think you need to ask a much larger sample than the handful we have here.
    Visual clues are easy to work with... people who beat around the bush with their verbal hints and riddle-like answers, not so much. I'm trying to understand it from other people's perspectives, but I have to admit it strikes me as inconsiderate that some people enjoy making you sit and listen to their elaborate metaphors and vague ramblings when they could have reduced all that verbage to several well-worded, beautifully clear sentences that say how they really think or feel.

Sarah
    ISFP

MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    9w1

I remember something I learned when my son was just starting to talk about telling him to "use his words" when trying to express himself. I can't tell you how many times I've wanted to say that to grown adults.

"Use your words!"

MBTI
    istp

Quote Originally Posted by Usehername View Post
    But the OP was not knowledgeable for what was out there, and his idea was a bad one. Those more knowledgeable steered the OP in a different direction.

I am frustrated by memories from junior high when I was asking a lot of questions about things I didn't know anything about, and people gave me direct answers... and in retrospect I wasted a lot of my time following stupid interests that would've been genuinely interesting and worth the time investment if only someone had steered me in the right direction; a tangent of my original flawed plan.
    it was never mentioned why he wanted a digital/analogue hybrid camera, just that he had no idea where to get one. if he was open to other suggestions, he should have started by stating the problem then asking "what kind of camera setup would work for this?" instead he asked a specific question and thus should get a specific answer.

you may be right, judging by the OPee's post later on in the thread, however non of the responders could have known that, and it just shows a poorly formed question as well as a poorly aimed response.

this is the point i think many are trying to make here: when you are not clear and direct, it is a cointoss whether you will be interpreted correctly. if i had written that question, i would have done so literally and as i said before, it would be irksome that nobody answered my question--this is the consequence of the fact that people are not clear... is that they learn to interpret what others say subjectively and start reading between the lines.

MBTI
    INTJ

I don't really have anything to contribute at the moment but the constructive discussion going on between Ss and Ns of S/N differences makes this thread a great, illuminating read.

(Are those classic thread nominations still in play?)

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by Grayscale View Post
    it was never mentioned why he wanted a digital/analogue hybrid camera, just that he had no idea where to get one. if he was open to other suggestions, he should have started by stating the problem then asking "what kind of camera setup would work for this?" instead he asked a specific question and thus should get a specific answer.

you may be right, judging by the OPee's post later on in the thread, however non of the responders could have known that,
    But perhaps the Ns did know that (from recognizing this pattern before) and that's why they answered the way they did.
    *You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body.
    *Faith is the art of holding on to things your reason once accepted, despite your changing moods.
    C.S. Lewis

heart on fire

Quote Originally Posted by sarah View Post
    Visual clues are easy to work with... people who beat around the bush with their verbal hints and riddle-like answers, not so much. I'm trying to understand it from other people's perspectives, but I have to admit it strikes me as inconsiderate that some people enjoy making you sit and listen to their elaborate metaphors and vague ramblings when they could have reduced all that verbage to several well-worded, beautifully clear sentences that say how they really think or feel.

Sarah
    ISFP
    The only person who always reads my non-verbal cues correctly is my ISFP friend.

MBTI
    STP

Quote Originally Posted by Aimahn View Post
    Basically taking everything as crystallized and not willing to mold and sculpture it.
    Once you mold and sculpt it how do you know it is what I originally wanted? To not take something at face value requires assumption and we all know what assuming does. Makes an ASS out of U and ME. If I sculpt a basic dog out of clay and you went and added teeth, fur, eyes, etc. its now your creation not mine.

Quote Originally Posted by ygolo View Post
    I don't really know exactly what it means to take things "at face value."--personally, I think it is impossible to do so without incurring error.

I think "face-value" refers to accepting ones first impression of a sitation. This may or may not be accurate.

Everyone has biases, everyone. Everyone reads into situations, and makes assupmtions, everyone. Our brain is a bunch of neurons, and the world it's processing is something else. If we weren't reading into the situation, we'd be unconcious. There is a reason optical illusions work on most people, and that words become more clear when you already know what they are--it's hard-wired into the brain.

I think it is generally better to make those assumptions explicit, if you have time.

I hate attempts at mind-reading, and expectations to do so as well.

But I also hate it when people make assumptions, and refuse to question them.

EDIT:I just re-read that. To head off any "reading between the lines," this is not aimed at any type in particular. There are just two sets of behaviours I really hate.
    I LOLed at that one. So in the edit you are simply saying "Take what I said at face value, dont read into it(read between the lines)" In this case not taking it at face value could incur error.