MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    9w1
    Socionics
    Booo

Default The downside of ISFP

All taken from this ISFP profile: ISFP - Introverted Feeling with Sensing
    • Unfortunately, in their desire not to influence, they often forgo expressing themselves and their wishes in favor of blending in with others.
    • It is important for them to find practical ways to express their ideals; otherwise they will keep dreaming of the impossible and accomplish very little. If they find no actions to express their ideals, they can become too sensitive and vulnerable, with dwindling confidence in life and in themselves.
    • The problem for some ISFPs is that they may feel such a contrast between their inner ideals and their actual accomplishments that they burden themselves with a sense of inadequacy. This can be true even when they are being as effective as others. They take for granted anything they do well and are the most modest of all the types, tending to underrate and understate themselves.
    • This nonimposing nature and seeming lack of direction is so much a part of ISFPs that they can easily be either overlooked or overpowered by others. In a sense, they are the most invisible of the sixteen types.
    • This type, often creative, artsy, and skilled in a variety of practical disciplines where people and nature are served, tends to be shy about offering his or her services--depriving the world of their contributions as a result. All too often, more aggressive, demanding and less capable types fill the void.
    • Both female and male ISFPs often sell themselves short. As a result, most any compliment an ISFP received can be dismissed as "not really meant" or "just an accident."
    Have any of you other ISFPs experienced these sort of things? or have you recognised them in ISFPs if you're another type?

MBTI
    NeFi
    Enneagram
    4w3

i think so. one of my best friends is an ISFP and i would say he's very dreamy for a supposedly realistic S. he's very INFP-like in his fantasies (though they all relate to real life applications), but he'll always end that talk by saying stuff like 'if only' or just a sigh. he also fantasizes about who he loves and love itself, but since he's been single for some time now after breaking up with a long time GF, he always says that he's 'dead inside'.

MBTI
    IS??
    Socionics
    InFj

Yes, I have experienced all of this..if I understand things that I am told by those who know me this all rings true. How about you?
    Patriotism is the last refuge to which a scoundrel clings...Steal a little and they throw you in jail, steal a lot and they make you a king

MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    9w1
    Socionics
    Booo

Quote Originally Posted by Hirsch63 View Post
    Yes, I have experienced all of this..if I understand things that I am told by those who know me this all rings true. How about you?
    Oh yeah, at my worst all of those things probably apply, luckily those feelings are usually short lived, however since leaving university they are becoming more common.

heart on fire

Quote Originally Posted by Quinlan View Post
    All taken from this ISFP profile: ISFP - Introverted Feeling with Sensing

Have any of you other ISFPs experienced these sort of things? or have you recognised them in ISFPs if you're another type?
    Yes, I've seen all of them in ISFP friend.

Yes I've seen this in myself.

This from Lenore Thompson wiki. I've recognised in myself also.

Going too far in the introverted direction
    Fi: being so concerned with maintaining the purity of your soul--e.g. your unconditional benevolence for every living thing--that you fail to do for yourself. Your own negotiating position becomes weak because you have nothing to offer but appeal to mercy. You and everyone around you is in desperate need, not because of "the system" but because you let yourself get into that position. Your social position is at the bottom, and people avoid you because they smell "loser". When weakness becomes a point of pride, not something to heal, then your values are no longer in sync with life.
    The wiki is down so I linked to googles cache.

A lot of that stuff seems similar to enneagram 9 descriptions. I've found the advice for 9's useful also.

It is important for them to find practical ways to express their ideals; otherwise they will keep dreaming of the impossible and accomplish very little.
    This is the key. The same as 9's. To become active, move forward.

veteran attention whore Jeffster's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESFP
    Enneagram
    7w6 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Ever since I was introduced to those "cognitive processes", I have felt like the downside (and maybe the upside too) is the constant battle between "Fi" and "Se." It seems like, of all the functions, these can be the most at odds with each other, and since we have them as 1 and 2, it makes sense we might be the most conflicted and misunderstood people.

It explains things like why many people have said to me "you don't sound like yourself today." And I'm like "after not sounding like myself for long enough, isn't what I sound like myself?"
    Jeffster Illustrates the Artisan Temperament <---- click here

"I like the sigs with quotes in them from other forum members." -- Oberon

The SP Spazz Youtube Channel

MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    9w1
    Socionics
    Booo

Quote Originally Posted by wolfy View Post
    Going too far in the introverted direction
    Fi: being so concerned with maintaining the purity of your soul--e.g. your unconditional benevolence for every living thing--that you fail to do for yourself. Your own negotiating position becomes weak because you have nothing to offer but appeal to mercy. You and everyone around you is in desperate need, not because of "the system" but because you let yourself get into that position. Your social position is at the bottom, and people avoid you because they smell "loser". When weakness becomes a point of pride, not something to heal, then your values are no longer in sync with life.
    This hits a spot I often don't like to think about but probably rings true. My standards for myself are ridiculously higher than those I accept from other people.

This is the key. The same as 9's. To become active, move forward.
    Which is why my being in a rut and having little time for myself outside of menial work is bringing these feelings out I think.

Ever since I was introduced to those "cognitive processes", I have felt like the downside (and maybe the upside too) is the constant battle between "Fi" and "Se." It seems like, of all the functions, these can be the most at odds with each other, and since we have them as 1 and 2, it makes sense we might be the most conflicted and misunderstood people.
    I've recognised these conflicts and contradictions within myself for a while now, mbti helps explain it a bit.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeffster View Post

It explains things like why many people have said to me "you don't sound like yourself today." And I'm like "after not sounding like myself for long enough, isn't what I sound like myself?"
    Can you explain a little more how they can be at odds please.