• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[ISFP] The downside of ISFP

defragmybrain

MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
All taken from this ISFP profile: ISFP - Introverted Feeling with Sensing

Have any of you other ISFPs experienced these sort of things? or have you recognised them in ISFPs if you're another type?

I definately get this all the time.
Sell myself short allll the time, not to further fish for compliments, but truly because i feel i'm inadequate and don't realize that people truly care, and enjoy my accomplishments.

anainani

MBTI Type
isfp
I hate how the buckcherry and shania twain songs are playing over and over in my head. It is a constant battle of who can be louder and play more often . Its total conflict all the time.

Yea. My Fi is like a little Stalin though. I've yet to figure out how to turn him into more of a hippy, and let the Se come out of the gulags.

Walking Tourist

it's tea time!
MBTI Type
esfp
Enneagram
Yes, to all.
As far as sell myself short, for sure, that's true. I have the attitude that, if I can do something, it must be easy and anyone can do it as well, if not better, than I can. When people compliment me, I say thank you but don't understand what all of the fuss is about. When people don't compliment me, I wonder why they're ignoring me!

All taken from this ISFP profile: ISFP - Introverted Feeling with Sensing

Have any of you other ISFPs experienced these sort of things? or have you recognised them in ISFPs if you're another type?

Kestrel

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
2w1
An ISFP intern has been working at my company for about two months. It took me a while to "type" her. The only thing I could take away from actually meeting her initially, was that she was kind, gentle, and unassuming. After that, it seemed really difficult to get to know her. She wasn't really forthcoming about herself and was so unimposing, it felt a little under-imposing. Like it was difficult to take away any strong assessment of "who she was". I think I saw things a little more clearly when I stopped trying to look for some "defining trait".

Hehe, I wasn't sure she was an S until we were looking at tourism guides at a bookstore and she was drawn to the ones that had vibrant color and pictures to them.

Overall though, ISFPs are fun to be around. :yes:

Siegfried

MBTI Type
?
An ISFP intern has been working at my company for about two months. It took me a while to "type" her. The only thing I could take away from actually meeting her initially, was that she was kind, gentle, and unassuming. After that, it seemed really difficult to get to know her. She wasn't really forthcoming about herself and was so unimposing, it felt a little under-imposing. Like it was difficult to take away any strong assessment of "who she was". I think I saw things a little more clearly when I stopped trying to look for some "defining trait".

Hehe, I wasn't sure she was an S until we were looking at tourism guides at a bookstore and she was drawn to the ones that had vibrant color and pictures to them.

Overall though, ISFPs are fun to be around. :yes:

Thats not neccessarily the only indicator to be honest, that just indicates she likes bright colours. The only letter I am sure about is my N, as a child, nothing else, but there is a difference between intuiting and being superhuman. I only intuit on my own natural ability and evaluate with Ti or Te whether it makes sense, as I had to adapt and had too much intuition. I don't have resources like groups have, so it gives a false impression.

Kestrel

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
2w1
Thats not neccessarily the ony indicator to be honest. The only letter I am sure about is my N, nothing else, but there is a difference between intuiting and being superhuman, I only intuit on my own, I don't have resources, lo,

I'm not saying that was the *only* indicator. But it was what stuck out for me. Figuring out the S vs. N thing is really difficult. I could still be wrong and this person could still be an INFP, but the other ISFP traits seem to fit.

Siegfried

MBTI Type
?
I'm not saying that was the *only* indicator. But it was what stuck out for me. Figuring out the S vs. N thing is really difficult. I could still be wrong and this person could still be an INFP, but the other ISFP traits seem to fit.

I use intuition, on the consistent average of the tests, it comes out the highest, got 100% once, this is something I knew even if I didn't do the tests, but I know that I take it emotionally at times, so I try to make it efficient by Te or cut it down after experience, its not worth doing it all the time. When I doubt my type it wasn't this part. Its the one function, I know for certain I use, my Se is atrocious relatively, its cause of lack Se that had many problems in childhood, head in clouds.. I rein down my dominant intuitive function towards other areas especially when focusing on studies or abstracts, at times, also started to see the value of it being backed by logic, due to necessity. So it doesn't seem obvious much anymore. Also in romantic matters, Ne and Fi begin to counter to each other, due to the NP factor, see the different angles. The other factors might be coming into play which makes her more ISFP. Sorry if came across as blunt haha, for myself at least this is the only bit of MBTI that makes any clear sense to me or everything is messed up, lol.

Quinlan

Intriguing....
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
9w1

I will often be like this around people I don't know well, I'm so concerned about not giving a "bad" impression I end up making none at all. There will be much more to her than that outer shell, I guarantee it. People have known me my whole life and still have no idea "who I am" heck I don't even know half the time!

anainani

MBTI Type
isfp
Yea, Quinlan. For me, it's not so much as being afraid of a bad impression, but it's more to do with not wanting for people to define me. Like Kestrel wrote that he/she was looking for a "defining trait". It makes me madly uncomfortable, sometimes sad/pissed when people do it, and a lot of people do it. I think not wanting to be defined has to do with the desire for freedom in ISFP's. It's not that I want to go and do crazy or reckless things (well, most of the time I don't :D), but it's more like not wanting to feel pressured to be someone or something in particular. For example, if someone gives me a label, I'll try to do the opposite of what the label is. Or, I'll avoid the person, so as to avoid being seen as anything.

Quinlan

Intriguing....
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
9w1
Yea, Quinlan. For me, it's not so much as being afraid of a bad impression, but it's more to do with not wanting for people to define me. Like Kestrel wrote that she was looking for a "defining trait". It makes me madly uncomfortable, sometimes sad/pissed when people do it, and a lot of people do it. I think not wanting to be defined has to do with the desire for freedom in ISFP's. It's not that I want to go and do crazy or reckless things (well, most of the time I don't :D), but it's more like not wanting to feel pressured to be someone or something in particular. For example, if someone gives me a label, I'll try to do the opposite of what the label is. Or, I'll avoid the person, so as to avoid being seen as anything.

Yeah I do this with my I/ESTJ aunty, I will do or say something completely unexpected and out of character because I just know she is trying to put me in one of her boxes, which I naturally resist. Really messes up her sense of order. :D

How do you feel about the ISFP label? :newwink:

anainani

MBTI Type
isfp
hehheh...messing up people's orders is fun :)
The ISFP label is ok, since it just says something about our natural preferences. It doesn't really say anything about us as individuals, or about our overall personalities. I bet no one is 100% their type. It's just dumb from my point of view to believe wholeheartedly all kinds of stereotypes and assumptions. Your type is just a superficiality, I think. So the label ISFP, is just a label, and it shouldn't be taken as a limited teller of character. I just love it when people go beyond that.
Anyway dunno if I'm making any sense anymore.
I think I'm addicted to energy drinks :cheese:

Jeffster

veteran attention whore
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx
Yea, Quinlan. For me, it's not so much as being afraid of a bad impression, but it's more to do with not wanting for people to define me. Like Kestrel wrote that he/she was looking for a "defining trait". It makes me madly uncomfortable, sometimes sad/pissed when people do it, and a lot of people do it. I think not wanting to be defined has to do with the desire for freedom in ISFP's. It's not that I want to go and do crazy or reckless things (well, most of the time I don't :D), but it's more like not wanting to feel pressured to be someone or something in particular. For example, if someone gives me a label, I'll try to do the opposite of what the label is. Or, I'll avoid the person, so as to avoid being seen as anything.

Oh man, this sounds so familiar. I could've written this myself.

Only I would have hit the "return" key a few times. :newwink:

I haven't acted like that as much in the last several months, because this year I've suddenly got into actually trying to help people understand me better. But I'll probly get over that at some point and go back to trying to confuse people. :D

Cimarron

IRL is not real
MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Just wanted to say thanks for this thread, also! I got around to thinking about it, and realized that more than the other types, ISFPs were probably the one I had no clear picture of. I have a feeling I know some ISFPs, but they are hard to identify.

So this thread has been some good learning material. :)

Last edited:

JRT

MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
Oh man, this sounds so familiar. I could've written this myself.

Only I would have hit the "return" key a few times. :newwink:

I haven't acted like that as much in the last several months, because this year I've suddenly got into actually trying to help people understand me better. But I'll probly get over that at some point and go back to trying to confuse people. :D

hahaha I love confusing people..and the funniest thing is that I don't even mean to! My old front office manager was new and he kept poking at me asking all these questions about me like what I like to do and what music i'm into and what not. He was baffled by me and I think it's funny. It's so hard to say I like this or that..I have preferences but i'm usually enjoying whatever is going on around me in the moment.