• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[ISTP] Istp and feelings from mbti-notes

Poki

MBTI Type
STP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
wqyY48Y.png

324WYwn.png

Found this on tumblr, matches me pretty good, other ISTP opinions?

Poki

MBTI Type
STP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Feelings are either...is it enough to pursue or not. While i know there are grey, actions on them are go or dont. Its not black and white itself, but as opposed to a pro/con list...it just is as a scale. Basically...whats overall intensity, not granular for each pro/con. Why i dont get stuck in the details of it and analysis. End result on the scale determines action to make you the happiest, successful in life

Thats how feelings are used to make decisions :shrug:

Poki

MBTI Type
STP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Sent this to SO and she said this nailed me to a T

ChocolateMoose123

Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
"sort through feelings" = sh*t gets so bad we have to make a decision. I usually know how I feel about most things (what's there to sort?) but don't feel compelled to act on it for it's own sake. No point in that. Pretty much, emotion is fleeting. You're sad? You'll feel better tomorrow or you do something that cheers you up. Whatever. It's like dragging the waters, if the water is feelings, most of that passes through. Doesn't stay with you.

Some stuff does and builds up if it's repeated enough there's a tendency to explode in anger, get a bit paranoid or have overall fatigue that you can't shake. ISTPs have tempers and if you see it, it's not good. Usually I think we just get real grouchy and leave us alone. All better.

Edgar

Nerd King Usurper
MBTI Type
INTJ
Instinctual Variant
sx
ISTPs have tempers and if you see it, it's not good. Usually I think we just get real grouchy and leave us alone. All better.

Except if your name is Eminem - then you're grouchy forever.

Abcdenfp

Terpsichore
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7W8
"sort through feelings" = sh*t gets so bad we have to make a decision. I usually know how I feel about most things (what's there to sort?) but don't feel compelled to act on it for it's own sake. No point in that. Pretty much, emotion is fleeting. You're sad? You'll feel better tomorrow or you do something that cheers you up. Whatever. It's like dragging the waters, if the water is feelings, most of that passes through. Doesn't stay with you. Some stuff does and builds up if it's repeated enough there's a tendency to explode in anger, get a bit paranoid or have overall fatigue that you can't shake. ISTPs have tempers and if you see it, it's not good. Usually I think we just get real grouchy and leave us alone. All better.
When you guys get grouchy I call you oscar the grouch , I leave you in the can to sort out the situation and when you decide to peek out I know it's passing and you've sorted it in your own way. Stress on the other hand I find ISTPs tend to need someone. Or an activity to manually unwind them or assist them in getting out of their heads.

Poki

MBTI Type
STP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
"sort through feelings" = sh*t gets so bad we have to make a decision. I usually know how I feel about most things (what's there to sort?) but don't feel compelled to act on it for it's own sake. No point in that. Pretty much, emotion is fleeting. You're sad? You'll feel better tomorrow or you do something that cheers you up. Whatever. It's like dragging the waters, if the water is feelings, most of that passes through. Doesn't stay with you.

Some stuff does and builds up if it's repeated enough there's a tendency to explode in anger, get a bit paranoid or have overall fatigue that you can't shake. ISTPs have tempers and if you see it, it's not good. Usually I think we just get real grouchy and leave us alone. All better.

Yes, ten fold. People fear my temper, because it not short fuse...its more like an atomic bomb. When its dropped and blows...you better run. Its already had trials and tweaking...when it blows, its mass destruction. I have been told i am nicely blunt...its an attempt to have whats needed accepted better. Its become somewhat natural for me, but its somehing i can shurg off at will and also be cutting blunt. Common denominator is blunt.

Poki

MBTI Type
STP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so

Then end of this talks about inferior Fe. To add a point on what discussed...our Ti is the lead which means when it becomes an issue of society niceties vs bare bones Ti bluntness...Ti has to decide that bluntness is not the best solution. That does rear its head at times depending on who you are dealing with...but as a way of life...its not the best long term solution almost ever.

Usually its bluntly nice or cutting blunt or some form or fashion of blunt.

ChocolateMoose123

Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Yes, ten fold. People fear my temper, because it not short fuse...its more like an atomic bomb. When its dropped and blows...you better run. Its already had trials and tweaking...when it blows, its mass destruction. I have been told i am nicely blunt...its an attempt to have whats needed accepted better. Its become somewhat natural for me, but its somehing i can shurg off at will and also be cutting blunt. Common denominator is blunt.

Yup. Long fuse. Sometimes I think too long.

It already had its trials and tweaking

100%.

Poki

MBTI Type
STP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
When you guys get grouchy I call you oscar the grouch , I leave you in the can to sort out the situation and when you decide to peek out I know it's passing and you've sorted it in your own way. Stress on the other hand I find ISTPs tend to need someone. Or an activity to manually unwind them or assist them in getting out of their heads.
Doesnt work well for me...thats actually very demeaning and how you deal with children. You would actually find i will disappear from that. I want solutions, not to "sort things out." The reason i disappear is because the problem is still present and if it doesnt push me away this time i get further and further each time unless the problem is fixed. Its about reality, not sorting out some feelings. My ex actually did something like that...she is my ex. Same thing with all the "exes" as in things, jobs, people, etc. In my life. Either things get fixed or i eventually disappear without really looking back. I want better :shrug:

Same with stress, i dont need someone i need to fix the stress...not talk it out or anything. If i am in a time crunch extend the time...if a problem is stressing me i let go of the problem. Stress is gone instantly.

I dont find very many people understand me...they do understand the type of person your talking about very well though. I know that type. They typically struggle with handling life problems.

Poki

MBTI Type
STP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Yup. Long fuse. Sometimes I think too long. 100%.
Yes, sadly. for me its about trying to understand and try different things and...eventually it blows uncontrollably :(

GF is like WTF just happened. I can tell her EXACTLY what happened if i want to. I am usually up in the air if i want to though. That really depends on if it will fix the problem or i just have to fix it.

ChocolateMoose123

Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Yes, sadly. for me its about trying to understand and try different things and...eventually it blows uncontrollably :(

Yeah. I get you. We understand fine. We don't understand how to get them to understand because they don't. Maybe....that's not our problem tho. Have you noticed somehow when the temper blows communication occurs?

I think it's something about how we say things. It's matter of fact and they don't register is as important. It's not a smoke signal for F's. That's my only guess because I will hear "I didn't know this was important to you."

I'm like, "What did you think I meant the many times I said, "this is important to me" over last few months?"

"Yeah but I didn't know it meant that much"

! *sigh*

Amargith

Hotel California
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4dw
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
^ it s coz we re more focussed on the energy output of your emotions than facts. Facts are processed differently by each individual - especially us, who are your opposite. So, they tend to be background info while your reaction to those facts takes the main focus.

Unfortunately introverted thinkers and especially istps, ime are notoriously hard to read. You dont like to show stress or weakness, so it barely shows up in your bodylanguage and you typically dont talk much, meaning there isnt much to work with regarding intonation, vocal cues in general and emotional stress. Words are ten percent of communication, so when all you get is 'mm, this is a problem', its hard to gauge the seriousness, intensity, urgency and your stressfactor in general.

It takes a while - especially as our emotions tend to be, well, explosive and right at the surface, to be aware of this and then build a new gauge for you guys and finetune that, so it does take some communication and then some trial and error, ime :)

Abcdenfp

Terpsichore
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7W8
^ it s coz we re more focussed on the energy output of your emotions than facts. Facts are processed differently by each individual - especially us, who are your opposite. So, they tend to be background info while your reaction to those facts takes the main focus. Unfortunately introverted thinkers and especially istps, ime are notoriously hard to read. You dont like to show stress or weakness, so it barely shows up in your bodylanguage and you typically dont talk much, meaning there isnt much to work with regarding intonation, vocal cues in general and emotional stress. Words are ten percent of communication, so when all you get is 'mm, this is a problem', its hard to gauge the seriousness, intensity, urgency and your stressfactor in general. It takes a while - especially as our emotions tend to be, well, explosive and right at the surface, to be aware of this and then build a new gauge for you guys and finetune that, so it does take some communication and then some trial and error, ime :)
I can totally agree with ALL of this, and it really does feel like your building a new gauge , because other people give off such easy to read signs with body language etc that sometimes they will respond how did you know I was feeling that way . I feel like Introverted thinkers are wearing one of those helmets that magneto wears in X-Men and I'm trying to get a peak inside and its blocked, so I have to get real direct as opposed to watching for slight changes and nuances in the persons response.

Abcdenfp

Terpsichore
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7W8
Doesnt work well for me...thats actually very demeaning and how you deal with children. You would actually find i will disappear from that. I want solutions, not to "sort things out." The reason i disappear is because the problem is still present and if it doesnt push me away this time i get further and further each time unless the problem is fixed. Its about reality, not sorting out some feelings. My ex actually did something like that...she is my ex. Same thing with all the "exes" as in things, jobs, people, etc. In my life. Either things get fixed or i eventually disappear without really looking back. I want better :shrug: Same with stress, i dont need someone i need to fix the stress...not talk it out or anything. If i am in a time crunch extend the time...if a problem is stressing me i let go of the problem. Stress is gone instantly. I dont find very many people understand me...they do understand the type of person your talking about very well though. I know that type. They typically struggle with handling life problems.
I would call it more nurturing in real life then treating someone like a toddler and I think that you are a more balanced and intuned individual, the ISTP I know Is older than you but is not as well developed in his other functions and so he can get stuck in loops and is 100% oblivious to the world around him. I am used to being able to offer help and discuss solutions and brain storm but I do find typically he needs to work things out in his own mental cave. However if I notice that there is a spiral Into a negative space I try to give him the opportunity to do something he likes spontaneously usually get him on the water or a track and he's gets the space to get some head space and then go back to it.

Poki

MBTI Type
STP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I would call it more nurturing in real life then treating someone like a toddler and I think that you are a more balanced and intuned individual, the ISTP I know Is older than you but is not as well developed in his other functions and so he can get stuck in loops and is 100% oblivious to the world around him. I am used to being able to offer help and discuss solutions and brain storm but I do find typically he needs to work things out in his own mental cave. However if I notice that there is a spiral Into a negative space I try to give him the opportunity to do something he likes spontaneously usually get him on the water or a track and he's gets the space to get some head space and then go back to it.
Sounds like unhealthy IJ. My dad and brother do that. Its like emotions and perception cloud things and they have to mentally work through it hecause their dominant function has failed. You dont want to see an unhealthy ISTP...i avoid it as much as possible. I would say some of the most competent violent people are more then likely unhealthy ISTPs. Its not a side of me i like and one i try to avoid and glad i have. You know those movies where you have an EJ badass leader mess with the wrong person and that person takes out their entire group...thats an unhealthy ISTP. Wick, wolverine, etc... Think focused hitler annialation focused on a small group that did something to the point you emotionally die. Thankfully we have VERY long fuses as a P type. I have never had any test me past that point...i start to scare them well before that.

Poki

MBTI Type
STP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Yeah. I get you. We understand fine. We don't understand how to get them to understand because they don't. Maybe....that's not our problem tho. Have you noticed somehow when the temper blows communication occurs? I think it's something about how we say things. It's matter of fact and they don't register is as important. It's not a smoke signal for F's. That's my only guess because I will hear "I didn't know this was important to you." I'm like, "What did you think I meant the many times I said, "this is important to me" over last few months?" "Yeah but I didn't know it meant that much" ! *sigh*
Yes..both ex ENFJ and current ENFP are like that. The biggest difference is that ENFP is like oh shit better change, fix, do something. They get into "action" mode. Where as ENFJ get into defensive mode which is like trying to put a lid on it instead of change/adapt/etc. Its so out of the ordinary its like an oh shit for ENFP. Dom Fi seems to pick things up much better and IxFJs will pull that shit outta you.

ChocolateMoose123

Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
^ it s coz we re more focussed on the energy output of your emotions than facts. Facts are processed differently by each individual - especially us, who are your opposite. So, they tend to be background info while your reaction to those facts takes the main focus.

Unfortunately introverted thinkers and especially istps, ime are notoriously hard to read. You dont like to show stress or weakness, so it barely shows up in your bodylanguage and you typically dont talk much, meaning there isnt much to work with regarding intonation, vocal cues in general and emotional stress. Words are ten percent of communication, so when all you get is 'mm, this is a problem', its hard to gauge the seriousness, intensity, urgency and your stressfactor in general.

It takes a while - especially as our emotions tend to be, well, explosive and right at the surface, to be aware of this and then build a new gauge for you guys and finetune that, so it does take some communication and then some trial and error, ime :)

In my case, five years and this has happened twice. What I mean and I think what Poki said too, is that if you're seeing that level emotion/anger, it's like our last resort. We simply do not know how else to communicate but to say what we mean and we will try numerous ways to doing that ( if we care.) and the anger comes from just how overt and direct we are being and there's recognition of that from the other person. In my case, enfp. It's like, "copy. I hear you." then keep doing same shit. So, I think (eventually and over time) enfp has to be paying lip service or just purposely being some kind of a**hole. Now, that's not necessarily a judgement of the person, more disappointing that what they like about you to begin with (blunt sincerity) isn't recognized when it's something difficult for them to look at (conflict avoidant).

With every temper shown the situation now *has to change* a decision has to be made and if nothing changes from those decisions, the relationship will deteriorate or ultimately end.

So Poki had a point about solution based thinking because that's what it is. Second time this happened with my enfp I made a decision that forced him to make some decisions. You don't have an ISTP explosive temper and go back to the way things were. That's why [MENTION=12103]Poki[/MENTION] said something like atom bomb. It literally changes the landscape of a relationship, friendship whatever.

Amargith

Hotel California
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4dw
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
In my case, five years and this has happened twice. What I mean and I think what Poki said too, is that if you're seeing that level emotion/anger, it's like our last resort. We simply do not know how else to communicate but to say what we mean and we will try numerous ways to doing that ( if we care.) and the anger comes from just how overt and direct we are being and there's recognition of that from the other person. In my case, enfp. It's like, "copy. I hear you." then keep doing same shit. So, I think (eventually and over time) enfp has to be paying lip service or just purposely being some kind of a**hole. Now, that's not necessarily a judgement of the person, more disappointing that what they like about you to begin with (blunt sincerity) isn't recognized when it's something difficult for them to look at (conflict avoidant).

With every temper shown the situation now *has to change* a decision has to be made and if nothing changes from those decisions, the relationship will deteriorate or ultimately end.

So Poki had a point about solution based thinking because that's what it is. Second time this happened with my enfp I made a decision that forced him to make some decisions. You don't have an ISTP explosive temper and go back to the way things were. That's why [MENTION=12103]Poki[/MENTION] said something like atom bomb. It literally changes the landscape of a relationship, friendship whatever.

Yeah, i get that.

I was never long enogh with an istp to have this situation occur, but i have had situations where my intj brought something that bugged him. It typically happens in an off hand comment, meaning i register it as liw priority. Then he ll typically repeat it, making me take more note of it, but when i ask him about it, it gets brushed off. So i go back to my life (coz i need more input to understand how its bothering him and why in order to fix it in a way that would be satisfying for him). This is especially true if we re talking about emotional needs as those are harder to voice for him. Eventually, it ll cone in an explosion and rant, often after ive already adressed the issue - like an abscess that bursts. Over the years, ive learned to just let him rant and soothe him - its just the emotional aftermath, which will heal in time.

That said, there have been situations where something bothered him and... i knew it, but what he was asking , although it looked like an easy thing for him, would require a massive feat of personal growth in my part, as it would require a complete repeogramming of who i was. I was typically already trying to figure it out, but in the ebd, it took *years* for me to address it. Thankfully, he realised after some time that this was just something i wasnt able to give him at present. They were typically silly things that seemed like thry should be easy to address, but were alk part of a skillset i just didnt have access to yet.

He had to make a hard decision on whether or not he could live with that, wait and potentiallt watch me fail being able to give him that stuff he considered so obvious and easy to do. I ll admit that the man is a saint in the patience department with me.

I dunno if this resonates at all, but i just thought id toss it out there just in case.