User Tag List

123 Last

MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram

Default Why does it take ISFPs so long to develop Ni?

Dunno about the other ISFPs out there, but being competent in a conversation involving abstract thought is hard. I feel like I only get the hang of these conversations waaaaaaay into it, and then it's just to kind of add a one-liner. Anybody else have this problem?

breaking out of my cocoon SearchingforPeace's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFJ
    Enneagram
    9w8 sx/so
    Socionics
    EIE None

My wife is a ISFP and struggles with this. Ni for her is sudden insights and singular vision of the future. It just isn't Ni like in a NJ....
    Quote Originally Posted by Archilochus
    The fox knows many things--the hedgehog one big one.
    And I am not a hedgehog......

-------------------

Jesus said "Blessed are the peacemakers" not "blessed are the conflict avoiders.....

9w8 6w5 4w5 sx/so

----------------------

“Orthodoxy means not thinking--not needing to think. Orthodoxy is unconsciousness.”
    ― George Orwell, 1984
    Likes Allywally liked this post

MBTI
    isfp
    Enneagram
    9w8 sp/sx

By abstract thought do you mean subjects such as theology, philosophy, psychology, or...astrology?
    Because I really love studying topics of that nature. I've had few conversations though not because of lack of understanding, but because either I have no one to talk to or I doubt my own ability to succinctly express my own opinions.

I am 25 btw
    libra sun & moon | scorpio rising

chaotic good

MBTI
    isfp
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx

My mom is an ISFP and she enjoyed her philosophy class in high school. She also was very clear about her beliefs about the world which was a clear Fi-Ni. She leans much more towards the concrete and worked with small children for her profession, so I don't think she was actually an INFP. IDK, I tend to find that the ISFP and ISTP can both be almost more intuitive than some N-doms at times. There are also very Se focused versions of the type that don't develop Ni much, so it's a diverse bunch.
    Step into my metaphysical room of mirrors.
    Fear of reality creates myopic morality
    So I guess it means there is trouble until the robins come
    (from Blue Velvet)
    Likes cosmictone, Lotus liked this post

MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by SearchingforPeace View Post
    My wife is a ISFP and struggles with this. Ni for her is sudden insights and singular vision of the future. It just isn't Ni like in a NJ....
    I totally get that.

breaking out of my cocoon SearchingforPeace's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFJ
    Enneagram
    9w8 sx/so
    Socionics
    EIE None

Quote Originally Posted by Allywally View Post
    I totally get that.
    my wife is very smart. she is the best person at word games i have ever met and great at games in general.

but she has no desire whatsoever to engage in abstract thinking. When we first got together, I thought she would develop an interest in such over time.

Instead, if anything, her intetest in such has declined. She hated her college courses on more abstract topics, but excelled at practical ones.

One assignment her senior year stands out to be, even 17 years later. She had one last elective class and she took theatre. She had an assignment due while her brother was visiting. Ww dropped her off at the university library and cane back two hours later. She was stuck.

The assignment was to come up with a location to hold a revival of a play and to have an intetesting theme.

After we got back, she told me this. In 5 minutes I gave her the play, the location, and the theme (she hadn't asked me before to help) . Her teacher loved it and have her an A+.

But with no Ne and weak Ni, she just couldn't envision anything on her own.

On the other hand, my wife is the only person I can say is better than me at spacial use. I have helped load many moving trucks for many people and I an very good at it. She is much better, as she instantly she what can fit where and how to best make use of the space.

At the same time, she can't envision how a room would look without physically moving things around. She says she just can't see it in abstract...
    Quote Originally Posted by Archilochus
    The fox knows many things--the hedgehog one big one.
    And I am not a hedgehog......

-------------------

Jesus said "Blessed are the peacemakers" not "blessed are the conflict avoiders.....

9w8 6w5 4w5 sx/so

----------------------

“Orthodoxy means not thinking--not needing to think. Orthodoxy is unconsciousness.”
    ― George Orwell, 1984

Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx

I've always had interest in abstract concepts just for the sake of it and am not very practical like what the ISFP descriptions usually depict. I would say nearly all of the ISFPs here on this site have this interest, since typology itself is a very abstract subject. I also have no trouble envisioning something before the end result and treasure my imagination. I agree that all ISFPs are diverse. It depends on how much someone is willing to develop their Ni versus someone who uses more of their Se. I think my own tert-Ni started to really peak during my late teens, but I'm sure it's different for everyone.
    "If only every generation would realize that the time for greatness is right now when they’re alive…the time to flower is now."

– Patti Smith

MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by Stargaze View Post
    I've always had interest in abstract concepts just for the sake of it and am not very practical like what the ISFP descriptions usually depict. I would say nearly all of the ISFPs here on this site have this interest, since typology itself is a very abstract subject. I also have no trouble envisioning something before the end result and treasure my imagination. I agree that all ISFPs are diverse. It depends on how much someone is willing to develop their Ni versus someone who uses more of their Se. I think my own tert-Ni started to really peak during my late teens, but I'm sure it's different for everyone.
    I can agree with that. Ni probably peaks at different ages/levels in one's life. I guess it also helps if the ISFP is super interested in the subject matter being discussed

MBTI
    ISFJ
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    ESI Fi

I like abstract concepts too. I don't think ni has anything to so with that. I'm just not the type of person that prides myself in being insightful or having secret knowlege, or psychic abilities, or a have a "i'm a visionary, so listen to me, or I know best,, or have a i'm smarter than you and everyone." The only thing i get online about ni or "intuitives" is that they think they are special and smarter and full of themselves. There i said it. The mbti questionnaires identify preference, not abilities.

MBTI
    jedi
    Enneagram

Introverted rational types' minds trod and trod, they aren't hot rods... more like grain mills.
    tiny purple fishes run laughing through your fingers
    and you want to take her with you, to the hard land of the winter
    Likes magpie liked this post