• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[ISFP] Why does it take ISFPs so long to develop Ni?

SearchingforPeace

MBTI Type
ENFJ
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Then you are my enemy. MBTI is surrounded by paradoxes and I cannot deal with it. If it weren't for Socionics, I wouldn't have figured out I was Ti-Ne.

I'm an INTJ if you discount Socionics. Consider me one. I don't relate to Ti descriptions in MBTI because what they describe doesn't make sense.

The worst thing Socionics advocates did was adopt MBTI terminology. The two systems are different and it just confuses everyone....

Pionart

MBTI Type
NiFe
If this is a true phenomenon, then I would guess it is because society values Se so there is less need to balance it with the tertiary.

However, when you say about having abstract conversations... Ni is often hard to verbalise, so this may be a lack of Te as well.

ceecee

Coolatta® Enjoyer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9
Then you are my enemy. MBTI is surrounded by paradoxes and I cannot deal with it. If it weren't for Socionics, I wouldn't have figured out I was Ti-Ne.

I'm an INTJ if you discount Socionics. Consider me one. I don't relate to Ti descriptions in MBTI because what they describe doesn't make sense.

Amused-GIF.gif

Psyclepath

MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
so/sx

Yeah, Se-PoLR coupled with 1D Fe doesn't make me good at convincing large groups of people that I'm anything other than a dickhead when I try to argue :D

MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
4w5
If I haven't made sense, please tell me what hasn't made sense.

Otherwise you just sound like a troll. I don't believe you are one, so I'd like to hear a more intelligent question.

Thank you for your co-operation.

Not trolling, but what you said didn't make logical sense to me at all. I don't think spatial intelligence is something that type theory explains well at all. Spatial intelligence is separate from physical coordination. One can be a mechanic, a football player, an organic chemist, etc and all be different types.

Psyclepath

MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
The worst thing Socionics advocates did was adopt MBTI terminology. The two systems are different and it just confuses everyone....

MBTI didn't even use Cognitive Functions: that's all the work of Jung. People tried to bring Cognitive Functions and mix them with dichotomies.

Both are different interpretations of the 16-type formula: they are most definitely intertwined. I fit quite a lot of descriptions of Se in MBTI, because I love loud music and I dance and stuff like that. I was typed Se-Ti by a shit-ton of people in "MBTI". However, it doesn't describe the bigger picture. It's a simplistic view of cognitive functions, but most descriptions are so shit they convolute everyone's reasoning.

I'm 22 and my Si is still rubbish. It manifests more as OCD that's inexplicably there one moment, and nowhere the next. I've seen how strong Si works: people have a very strong idea of how different environments impact different people. My girlfriend is an Fe-Si, and is pretty damn good at giving massages. I think the Fe-Si combination is surprisingly common in hippie environments, with the flow of energy - the communication of energy of course being Fe. Observing how energy makes one feel is very much Si.

"MBTI" Si sounds closer to a judgment function. There's no categorizing until you get to judgment: of course Te/Fe will categorize. But it's a distinction that many don't seem to recognize. As I'm sure you've figured out, I don't regard MBTI highly. Just food for thought, really.

Psyclepath

MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Not trolling, but what you said didn't make logical sense to me at all. I don't think spatial intelligence is something that type theory explains well at all. Spatial intelligence is separate from physical coordination. One can be a mechanic, a football player, an organic chemist, etc and all be different types.

I'm not convinced spatial intelligence is separate from physical coordination. However, I'm unsure more than anything, so I shan't push this. If I were more experienced with sensing, I could argue this all a great deal better; but my understanding of the sensory realm is too poor: I only really understand the theory of it.

Allywally

MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
Actually, I've always been divided over whether this is Se or Ne; and consequently whether sensors or intuitives are more likely to fall into this trap. As I've understood it, sensors are better at recognizing how to manipulate the physical environment. Potential describes both Ne and Se - but with intuitives the issue is recognizing something that could be amazing only having no idea how to make it so: because Se in intuitives is weak. George Lucas comes to mind as a good example: the prequel trilogy in Star Wars has enough glimpses of brilliance to show that it should've been much better than the originals - only the attention to detail is so poor.

The military leader archetype is very much an Se-dom in Socionics (not an ENTJ); because Se recognizes the information it perceives. Si is de-valued, so there is no context to the sensory detail. It's just... recognizing what can physically be done with it. That's why Se is associated with force.

I am looking at functions from the Socionics point of view, by the way. I believe it makes a lot more sense. I honestly think what you're describing sounds like weak Se; it's something I also struggle with.

Ah, may I ask, are you new to mbti?

Allywally

MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
I'll take the silence as a yes. And yeah, I agree mixing socionics and MBTI confuses everyone. Sticking to one brand pf pop psychology for this thread might be best.

Agent Washington

Softserve Ice Cream
I like abstract concepts too. I don't think ni has anything to so with that. I'm just not the type of person that prides myself in being insightful or having secret knowlege, or psychic abilities, or a have a "i'm a visionary, so listen to me, or I know best,, or have a i'm smarter than you and everyone." The only thing i get online about ni or "intuitives" is that they think they are special and smarter and full of themselves. There i said it. The mbti questionnaires identify preference, not abilities.

I was actually thinking about how one person I know, who's just not a very talented person in general, definitely some kind of F preferences (Fe likely, despite having low EQ) - could be an N type after critical analysis of how there's a certain preference for abstract thought. I don't have much privvy to their inside thought, but I have enough observation about them over a long period of time to be able to deduce what's the case there.

Being iNtuitive is not actually correlated to intelligence or abilities, much as a lot of N types love to pretend it is.

My hunch is that a reasonably smart ISXP with some usage of Ni would trump a reasonably dumb INXP in Ni usage.

Allywally

MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
Yeah, it's usually hammered in that if Ni or Ne is your primary or secondary function that you're super smart. I think it is assumed that a person having high intuition is also seen as having high intelligence, high intellect....and all those other 'in' words