User Tag List

12 Last

Dali

Default SFP males... do you have this problem?

I've had to 'reject' (God how I hate that word) the advances two girls (an ENFJ & an ESFP) over the course of the past two months. I did it very gently and kind of skirted the issue somewhat and somehow, they and (especially) their GFs are majorly pissed off at me. Reason? Apparently, I led the girls on. Repeatedly, they say.

I'm still scratching my head; I was respectful and friendly and... that's about it. No conscious flirting on my part. Some of you may think "bah, where's the problem mentioned in the title?" I hate feeling like a jerk and... misery loves company. Two heads are better than one. Ah, whatever. Anyone else have this issue? And how can I 'prevent' it?

Mo
    Last edited by Dali; 09-25-2008 at 12:44 AM.

MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    9w1
    Socionics
    Booo

I have no idea where the line between being friendly and being flirty is, to me they seem kind of like the same thing. I'm also fairly oblivious as to how others perceive me, so combine those two and I've probably crossed the line fairly often just by being my playful self.

Dali

Quote Originally Posted by Quinlan View Post
    I have no idea where the line between being friendly and being flirty is, to me they seem kind of like the same thing. I'm also fairly oblivious as to how others perceive me, so combine those two and I've probably crossed the line fairly often just by being my playful self.
    I guess I may also have that issue. In my mind, I'm just being friendly but it comes off as flirtatious behavior to the ladies.

Mo

veteran attention whore Jeffster's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESFP
    Enneagram
    7w6 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Yeah, I'm often called a flirt, but the truth is I'm just naturally this charming.
    Jeffster Illustrates the Artisan Temperament <---- click here

"I like the sigs with quotes in them from other forum members." -- Oberon

The SP Spazz Youtube Channel

MBTI
    isfp

Quote Originally Posted by Mo_(operalover) View Post
    I've had to 'reject' (God how I hate that word) the advances two girls (an ENFJ & an ESFP) over the course of the past two months. I did it very gently and kind of skirted the issue somewhat; they and their GFs are majorly pissed off at me. Reason? Apparently, I led the girls on. Repeatedly, they say.

I'm still scratching my head; I was respectful and friendly and... that's about it. No conscious flirting on my part. Some of you may think "bah, where's the problem mentioned in the title?" I hate feeling like a jerk and... misery loves company. Two heads are better than one. Ah, whatever. Anyone else have this issue? And how can I 'prevent' it?

Mo
    I realize I'm not an SFP male, but I've had the same thing! No conscious flirting, just these guys who think I'm encouraging them romantically even though that was the last thing on my mind. It doesn't happen so much now that I'm married, but sometimes guys overlook the presence of a wedding ring and think that because I'm relatively young (37) and I smile at them when I help them find library materials, or help them find what they need in the grocery store when I'm grocery shopping (sometimes I think I must have "ask me, I'm helpful" printed on my forehead) I must therefore be dying to get romantically involved with them.

During the year and a half I was in grad school, this happened more frequently. One guy got so mad at me for "leading him on" to believe that we had relationship potential that he snubbed me for the entire rest of the time I was in school there. I still don't know what I actually did that led him to believe I was committed to having a relationship with him just because I was friendly.

I also hate feeling like a jerk, and I'm glad that most guys look for a ring on a woman's finger before they assume that she's fair game for their romantic assumptions. I never figured out a way of preventing it, and would be curious to know if there is any way....

Sarah
    ISFP

MBTI
    isfp

Quote Originally Posted by Mo_(operalover) View Post
    I guess I may also have that issue. In my mind, I'm just being friendly but it comes off as flirtatious behavior to the ladies.

Mo

You know, maybe it's that our friendliness has an overt playfulness about it that people commonly associate with flirtation. I never thought about that until now...

But that would suck if I had to change who I was just to avoid people getting the wrong impression.

Sarah
    ISFP

Banned
    MBTI
    type

Slightly beside the OP point: I have noticed that ESFP females tend to be incredibly flirtatious with all guys who don't repulse them.

MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    9w8 sx/sp

I don't see it as a problem. It is indeed them with the problem! flirting, playfullness. all part of the game! Some people just take it all way too seriously!

MBTI
    eNFJ
    Enneagram
    4w3 sx/so
    Socionics
    eNFJ Ni

Agreed. Being playful shouldn't brand you as a flirt.
    eNFJ 4w3 sx/so 468 tritype
    Neutral Good
    EII-Fi subtype, Ethical/Empath, Delta/Beta
    RLUEI, Choleric/Melancholic
    Inquistive/Limbic
    AIS Holland code
    Researcher: VDI-P
    Dramatic>Sensitive>Serious

insert random title here Randomnity's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

I've had this happen before as well, to varying degrees, though of course I'm not ISFP, or a male. Only once was it a big deal though....but I still don't get it when people say I'm flirting outrageously and I'm only being friendly and/or genuinely enjoying someone's company without it being at all sexual or intending to imply anything.

I think people read into your actions what they want to, a lot of the time.