123 Last

Permabanned
    MBTI
    infp
    Enneagram
    4w3 sx/so
    Socionics
    infj None

Default Are Sp's the most common types to be musicians?

Well, in trying to figure out musicians types it seems like a lot of them are Sp's and I wonder if there is a reason why it is so common? are they the one's most often drawn to playing and writing music?

I wonder if I am the odd one out here being and maybe not as naturally becoming for N's.

Enneagram
    4 so/sp

Usually the opposite is said on this forum, if you look through mbti musician lists.

I'd think though it's about half and half.
    "...On and on and on and on he strode, far out over the sands, singing wildly to the sea, crying to greet the advent of the life that had cried to him." - James Joyce

My Photography and Watercolor Fine Art Prints!!! Cascade Colors Fine Art Prints
    https://docs.google.com/uc?export=do...Gd5N3NZZE52QjQ
    Likes MDP2525, Hard liked this post

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    3w2 so
    Socionics
    ILE Ti

I'm an NP and I understand music better than any of my S musician friends...

Enneagram
    4 so/sp

Quote Originally Posted by Madisonclark View Post
    I'm an NP and I understand music better than any of my S musician friends...
    haha, what does that even mean? 'understand music better' -- that's such a broad statement.
    "...On and on and on and on he strode, far out over the sands, singing wildly to the sea, crying to greet the advent of the life that had cried to him." - James Joyce

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    3w2 so
    Socionics
    ILE Ti

Quote Originally Posted by cascadeco View Post
    haha, what does that even mean? 'understand music better' -- that's such a broad statement.
    I'm referring to music performance, technique, music theory, etc. (I'm a music teacher..)
    Likes highlander liked this post

Enneagram
    4 so/sp

I'm referring to music performance, technique, music theory, etc. (I'm a music teacher..)
    Interesting. I was just curious. There's another professional musician/composer on here, in the classical realm, though she hasn't posted for quite a while, who has mentioned her thoughts on there being a significant number of S's in the classical music/performance world (she is an N), and I think her perspective differed. I'd have to try to dig up some of her posts, though I don't remember where she would have posted those thoughts.

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    3w2 so
    Socionics
    ILE Ti

Interesting. I haven't really thought about S vs N in the music world. I'd be interested in reading another's thoughts!

Permabanned
    MBTI
    infp
    Enneagram
    4w3 sx/so
    Socionics
    infj None

Honestly, I was put off even trying to learn music theory forever because I was told how hard it was all of the time but upon actually trying I was surprised. I do not think it's that difficult.

I think there's a fair amount of N musicians, but there's still probably more Sp one's overall, at least if you look at the entertainment world and the like. It just seems like most N's are stereotyped or expected to be lost in books and theories all the time.

Enneagram
    4 so/sp

@Madisonclark A few of her posts:

Quote Originally Posted by fia
    I'm not an SJ, but I will say that Si is an amazingly useful function in the world of classical music. I think that many of my colleagues are Si-doms or Si-aux.
    I don't have proof of MBTI tests, but I suspect that a lot, if not the majority, of classical music instrumentalists are SJs. It's the field I work in and I see advantages in having Si for that particular skill set - for orchestral playing and soloist because you have to internalize the sensory details of a work to a significant degree and be able to recreate them. When that focused awareness of knowing when something perceived through the senses is right or not based on previous models is taken to an extreme level of detail, it is one of the bedrock skills required for classical music. I think that aspect is pure Si.

MBTI
    STP

I can pick up things musically very fast, and make it my own. My musical ability is to speak from within through tone, speed, etc. I suck at reading music. But once i learn the keys or notes i can change the speed, rhythm, etc. To get it to say what i want. I dont know anything about theory or rhythms or beats or any of that. But i can not only find the beat, but play with all different beats that flow with the current beat. Its all by ear and something else internal.
    Im out, its been fun
    Likes Psyclepath liked this post