• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[SP] SP, How Are You NOT Like Your Type Description?

sarah

soft and silky
MBTI Type
isfp
Well, admittedly I taught myself that too. :devil:

Me too. Only it backfired on me when my 3rd grade teacher called home to tell my mother personally that I was failing math, because apparently my forged signature wasn't convincing anybody of anything. My mother, wise woman that she was, chose to concentrate on tutoring me in math instead of getting all bent out of shape about the forgery, though she did give point out that this was a good object lesson for me.

Sarah
ISFP

"?"

MBTI Type
TiSe
Sorry, didn't see this until now.

I was referring to the one at Murray State:
ISTP - Introverted Thinking with Sensing

Of course, I picked the one that fits the best. :) I'm not sure how the other descriptions would stack up.
Thanks Rhino. That is the description from "Gifts Differing" with some slight editing. Most notably without referring back to the book, someone has made the distinction that I have always questioned about this description when it comes to the usage of non-technical. The book does not mention the word mechanical only not being technical. This description says,
“ISTPs who do not have technical or mechanical interests often use their talents to bring order out of unorganized facts. This ability can find expression in law, economics, marketing, sales, securities, or statistics.”
I can only surmise that the term technical when Myers-Briggs wrote their description had a different connotation from what we consider it today since all of the latter mentioned examples would require some technical understanding of principles in law, economics, etc. Most importantly adding the word mechanical to the statement finally legitimizes the fact that people preferring Ti-Se can consider this type without questioning their interest in mechanics.

Grayscale

MBTI Type
ISTP
after reading a lot more on this, i can say that im guilty of the vast majority of my type description, even the parody was even halfway accurate in a certain sense.

here's a narrative of what i think when i read the descriptions...

"ISTPs have a compelling drive to understand the way things work. They're good at logical analysis, and like to use it on practical concerns. They typically have strong powers of reasoning, although they're not interested in theories or concepts unless they can see a practical application. They like to take things apart and see the way they work."

"They can be intensely but quietly curious."

"If ISTPs have developed their powers of observing the world around them, they will have a firm grasp on the realities of any situation, and show a great capacity for the important and unique facts of a situation. They are interested in how and why things work and are likely to be good at applied science, mechanics, or engineering."

GS: everything has an explanation, and ill be damned if im not just the most curious person i know. and really, if something doesn't have a practical application, doesn't that make it impractical? i hate wasting time, and that's one example of it in my opinion. see:

"One of their outstanding traits is economy of effort."

"ISTPs have an adventuresome spirit. They are attracted to motorcycles, airplanes, sky diving, surfing, etc. They thrive on action, and are usually fearless. ISTPs are fiercely independent, needing to have the space to make their own decisions about their next step. They do not believe in or follow rules and regulations, as this would prohibit their ability to "do their own thing". Their sense of adventure and desire for constant action makes ISTPs prone to becoming bored rather quickly."

GS: when it comes to experiences, it's the extremes that make me feel alive. sometimes that can mean exploring the extreme ends of the earth, sometimes it's the "wheeee!". following rules is silly if they dont make sense, and i prefer to determine what makes sense on a case by case basis. i do get bored quickly, but i have learned that this is best treated by maintaining a wide array of interests and experiences. i have quite a large set of things i like to do, and im never bored with whatever i pick of those, which depends on my mood at that time.

i wouldnt describe myself as fearless, just that i fear different things than most people. the most recent example of this i can think of is that i would rather jump out of an airplane (which actually sounds like a lot of fun) than give a toast at my brother's wedding. actually, anything would be better than that. *shivers*

"ISTPs are loyal to their causes and beliefs, and are firm believers that people should be treated with equity and fairness. Although they do not respect the rules of the "System", they follow their own rules and guidelines for behavior faithfully. They will not take part in something which violates their personal laws. ISTPs are extremely loyal and faithful to their "brothers"."

"In everyday activities they are adaptable, except when one of their ruling principles is violated, at which point they stop adapting."

GS: this really resounded with me. see above statement about following rules. i think a lot of people are suprised to find that i am much more principled person than i appear to be. even if those are a little out of the norm, i follow what principles i do have with pretty extreme devotion, actually it's the only area of myself i would really consider "touchy". i dont really constrain my loyalty to "bros" but rather anyone who i think has earned my loyalty.

"ISTPs are action-oriented people. They like to be up and about, doing things. Adaptable and spontaneous, they respond to what is immediately before them."

GS: it tends to teeter between this and periods of resting and conserving energy. this seems a lot more accurate:

"unlike most ESPs they do not present an impression of constant activity. On the contrary, they lie dormant, saving their energy until a project or an adventure worthy of their time comes along--and then they launch themselves at it. The apparently frenzied state that inevitably ensues is actually much more controlled than it appears--ISTPs always seem to know what they're doing when it comes to physical or mechanical obstacles--but the whole chain of events presents a confusing and paradoxical picture to an outsider."

"When not involved in an enterprise or adventure of the kind that compels all their attention, ISTPs relax. They do not unwind by engaging in the kind of routine chores that other types may find both relaxing and worthwhile. As a result, life is one long relaxation to the ISTP, frequently interrupted by various exciting hands-on challenges to repair, understand, improve, or experience whatever comes along."

"ISTPs avoid making judgments based on personal values - they feel that judgments and decisions should be made impartially, based on the fact. They do not pay attention to their own feelings, and even distrust them and try to ignore them, because they have difficulty distinguishing between emotional reactions and value judgments. This may be a problem area for many ISTPs."

GS: not much to say here, this is exactly right. i wont go into whether decisions should be made on objective facts vs. personal values because this already tells you what i think about that. i guess i can trust feelings as long as they prove consistently over a long period of time that they arent selfish or go against my sense of fairness and principles. either way i dont trust people easily and i know this.

"ISTPs are excellent in a crisis situations. They are usually patient individuals, although they may be prone to occasional emotional outbursts due to their inattention to their own feelings."

"ISTPs may rely so much on the logical approach of thinking that they overlook what other people care about and what they themselves care about. They may decide that something is not important, just because it isn't logical to care about it. If ISTPs always let their thinking suppress their feeling values, their feeling may build up pressure and find expression in inappropriate ways."

GS: to me, it seems apparent that this is the pros and the cons of being out of touch with emotions. on one hand, i control them easily, on the other hand... im out of touch with them and sometimes they do weird things and can cause surprises.

They have a tendency to hold back their own views on things. They like to listen to other people's views, but are generally non-commital about expressing their own opinions. ISTPs have a habit of evading answering questions by asking more questions. This can be frustrating at times to their mates, if they are after a direct answer. The ISTP's decision making process is entirely internal, so they don't feel much need to share their opinions with others. When they are interacting with others, they are in "information gathering" mode, so they tend to ask questions rather than share views.

GS: so guilty of this habit! im good at evading and sometimes it drives my friends nuts. when i talk to other people, it's to get details from them. i guess it never occurred to me why they need to know what im thinking. :thinking:

"ISTPs can be very intense and exciting individuals. Their strong Thinking preference makes them seem rather aloof and "hard to get". Their Sensing and Perceiving preferences make them sensual, earthy individuals. These attributes frequently make them attractive to the opposite sex. ISTPs live entirely in the current moment, which makes them especially interested in new sensations and experiences. They strongly dislike routine and strict schedules, and resist being controlled by others. They are fiercely independent and need their own space within a relationship."

GS: what ive realized is that this is actually a matter of my perception than a matter of what the other person is doing. it's easy for me to feel like im being trapped and see "fences" everywhere but more often than not that is just my imagination... it has been important for me to get a handle on that so i dont go running away for what probably seems to others as no apparent reason. :huh:

more to come!

Grayscale

MBTI Type
ISTP
"communication also tends to be a key issue, since they generally express themselves non-verbally. When they do actually verbalize, ISTPs are masters of the one-liner, often showing flashes of humor in the most tense situations; this can result in their being seen as thick-skinned or tasteless."

GS: this sort of thing, combined for lack of respect for socially accepted rules and norms, tends to result in me being not-so-good in social gatherings and such. oops. :mellow:

"People with ISTP preferences use their thinking to look for the principles underlying the sensory information that comes into awareness."

GS: it's this sort of thing that makes me wonder why so many people (yes, even intuitives!) miss the bigger idea. seems apparent to me. :)

"ISTPs are especially skilled with their hands and often get satisfaction from accomplishments that are both tactile and immediate. When something--as opposed to someone--needs attention, the ISTP's powers of observation (related to both their Sensing and Perceiving preferences) make it possible for them to plunge into the taks at hand without feeling it necessary to follow procedures or read directions. This is how the ISTP prefers to work, and when the result is success, the ISTP feels a wonderful sense of accomplishment. If, midway into a project, the need for directions becomes apparent, the ISTP will refer only to sections that are directly relevant, so that no time or energy is wasted--a matter of great consequence to ISTPs."

GS: i AM good at fixing things! whenever i visit my parents they have a short list of this sort of thing for me to do. i also hate directions since they take so long to read and i can usually figure it out anyways.

on another note, i do a lot of things quickly, like eating, but this could be misinterpreted as being in a hurry, which i am certainly not. it is rather, as one of these articles stated, a matter of "economy of effort"

"Relating to ISTPs can be both fun and confusing--fun because of their spontaneous, easygoing view of life, confusing because of their mixed communication messages. Because ISTPs alternate between enthusiasm over things of immediate interest to them and quiet reserve about other things, one can never predict which reaction to expect from them."

GS: I have been accused of being contradictary. as i put it, im a big ball of exceptions, "this but not quite this, this but not necessarily that", etc. which i can understand may seem like a contradiction but really isnt. "Ts" seem to grasp these sort of differences better than "Fs", which I guess take a more holistic approach that doesn't work when directed at me.

"ISTPs can often be enigmas, especially to Extraverts and Judgers, who find their unpredictability and apparent social indifference so disturbing that they may try to change them. Not only will the ISTP resent such impositions, he or she may get an inner thrill or satisfaction in not behaving according to expectations, always remaining somewhat mysterious."

GS: guilty... it's just so much fun i cant resist. :devil:

"ISTPs' nature is to be quietly observing, collecting data on all things at all times. They do not think of themselves as watching in order to do something with the information; they are merely scanning the universe because it is poart of the nature to want to take in all that is occurring. The often dramatic outcome, however, is that when an emergency occurs, they can move swiftly to the core of the problem and correct it. What seems like instinctive action is actually the result of long periods of observation that enabled the ISTP to be aware of all the details of the picture."

GS: this explains perfectly what i consider to be a big part of my personality. actually, this is why i thought i might be an "intuitive" at one point. :alttongue:

"The later years of an ISTP's life may involve a new Extraverted focus and more time devoted to the family side of life. ISTPs may find appealing the chance to turn back to work on some of the activities that have unsuccessfully competed for their attention during the earlier part of life. Their senior citizenship may involve an acting-out of some idea or dream they have long had in mind but never had the time and energy to realize. Now is the time, and the ISTP will not only be ready but will greet the opportunity with the same sort of aloofness that has accompanied his or her earlier years."

GS:who knows, i havent gotten there yet. :)

i always thought of my life ending like the two old guys in the movie "Secondhand Lions", maybe I'll start working on some sort of airplane or rocket-car that i could crash into something when i hit 70.

Quinlan

Intriguing....
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
9w1
General description of the ISFP

- Most misunderstood of all.
- Tendency not to express themselves directly, but through action.
- Does not plan and prepare.
- Special kind of intelligence.
- Kindest of all the types.
- Sometimes seen by others as reserved and private.
- Instinctive longing for the natural, the pastoral, the bucolic.
- Easily bored, wanting excitement, risk, chance and tests of luck.

- Spender rather than a saver.
- Likely to become a pacifist or environmentalist.
- Negotiates with ease.
- As negotiator, goes into a situation with the intent of getting warring factions to compromise.
- Troubleshooting
- Very low need to lead and control others.
- Lives harmoniously.
- Encourages all life to fulfill its potential.
- Difficult for ISFPs to understand the need of some people to impose limits or structure on others.
- Blends in.
- Can easily be overlooked or overpowered .
- Creative, artsy.
- Often oblivious to the "standard" way.
- Little need to lead or influence.

- Little interest in the conceptual and abstract and is most responsive to the pragmatic.
- Money is secondary, the primary concern is that service be rendered .
- Little need to plan.

Green fits, red doesn't.

sarah

soft and silky
MBTI Type
isfp
Green fits, red doesn't.

Where did you get that list, Quinlan? I've gotta go through it now (my comments in red):

- Most misunderstood of all. (dunno! AM I misundestood?)
- Tendency not to express themselves directly, but through action. (Depends entirely on circumstances)
-Does not plan and prepare. (Depends entirely on circumstances)
- Special kind of intelligence. (Aesthetic intelligence? ;))
-Kindest of all the types. (I place a high value on being kind)
-Sometimes seen by others as reserved and private. (yes)
-Instinctive longing for the natural, the pastoral, the bucolic. (yes)
-Easily bored, wanting excitement, risk, chance and tests of luck. (I'm not into games of chance or luck, and I create my own excitement, which isn't maybe what others would call "exciting". It more has to do with making everything I touch look good. I like to make other people gasp when they see what I can do.)
- Spender rather than a saver. (YEP!)
-Likely to become a pacifist or environmentalist. (YEP!!! To both those things.)
-Negotiates with ease. (I think so)
-As negotiator, goes into a situation with the intent of getting warring factions to compromise. (yes)
-Troubleshooting (yes)
- Very low need to lead and control others. (yes)
- Lives harmoniously. (yes)
- Encourages all life to fulfill its potential. (yes)
- Difficult for ISFPs to understand the need of some people to impose limits or structure on others. (YES!!!!!!!!! sheesh!)
- Blends in. (No! I like to get noticed. Ha!)
- Can easily be overlooked or overpowered . (Not if I can help it. I hate being around bossy, overbearing people!)
- Creative, artsy. (Absolutely, yes! Theme of my life.)
- Often oblivious to the "standard" way. (no, I'm observant enough, I know what the standard way is, I Just Don't Care about following it.)
- Little need to lead or influence. (I don't know, I like to influence others. It's fun. ;)
- Little interest in the conceptual and abstract and is most responsive to the pragmatic. (Depends on whether or not the abstract can be useful. If it is, I'm very interested in it.)
- Money is secondary, the primary concern is that service be rendered . (I'm not good with money. 'Nuff said.)
- Little need to plan. (Again, it depends on whether or not what I want to do will totally suck if I don't do some pre-planning.)

Sarah
ISFP

sarah

soft and silky
MBTI Type
isfp
Oops sorry, I got it form here The Temperament Sorter

Oh, okay, I thougth it sounded Keirsey-like -- they must've borrowed from his descriptions. But it goes further...

Strengths of ISFPs

Bring personal values to negotiating. (Yes, that's how you negotiate effectively. You mean other people don't? :huh:)

Will protect personal values. (Yes!)

Until ideals are compromised, can be flexible, adaptable in negotiations. (Absolutely!)

Very compassionate towards those who are needy. (I hope I am. I mean, that's my ideal, and I'd be ashamed of myself if I weren't that way)

Can be effective conciliators. (I think so...)

Will consider options/possibilities. (yes, but who doesn't?)

Will handle difficulties in negotiations easily. (I think so)

Weaknesses of ISFPs as Negotiators

Under stress may be critical, disparaging, disgusted with other's "stupid" ideas. (I have a pretty high tolerance for other people's ideas unless they stomp on something I care a lot about, and then all of a sudden I think their ideas are totally worthless.)

Not good negotiators. (wait.. I thought we WERE good negotiators? Make up your mind!)

Gentle, retiring nature makes them ineffective except in a well-structured environment. (What?! That's ridiculous! I bet many ISFPs are self-employed and follow their own sense of timing. I don't think my world would fall apart if I didn't have a job with regular hours. Sheesh.)

Needs to be well-represented. (Needs, or prefers? I'd hate to be ignored, but I can represent myself pretty well, and if not, I leave that particular situation.)

Because of idealism and loyalty, ISFPs will suffer considerably from separation distress. (I honestly have no idea what they're talking about...)

Needs to wait until fully disengaged to negotiate. (It depends on how quickly I can see a way of getting what I want AND getting them what they want.)

Goals "too perfect" to be readily achievable if the spouse is strong-willed. (No. And my spouse is not a strong-willed bossy type, thank goodness.)

Their retiring nature may require third party intervention. (Only in extreme circumstances, I imagine....)

Will put off coming to the table until late in process due to desire to put things off. (What the ___?!?!? What happened to ISFPs being good troubleshooters and negotiators? How can we be both bad adn good at the samething?

Finds it difficult to express opinions strongly. (Ha! NOPE!) :devil: (Though I do try to be nice about it. Still, others always get my drift.

How the ISFP sees Self as negotiators:

Very affirming.
Sympathetic and trusting.
Good communicator especially where values and ideals are involved.
Hard working and practical.

(Yes to all of the above.)

How Others see the ISFP as negotiators:

Difficult to negotiate with.
Won't follow divorce laws or is naive about what actual law is.
Not serious enough about negotiations.
Flaky and irresponsible.

So does the author of this mean we only think we're good at negotiation? If that's the case, then how come it's been effective whenever I've put my heart into it, then?

With type descriptions like this, no wonder many people throw up their hands in disgust. Or otherwise have a hard time finding their best type fit.

Sarah
ISFP

Quinlan

Intriguing....
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
9w1
Because of idealism and loyalty, ISFPs will suffer considerably from separation distress. (I honestly have no idea what they're talking about...)

I'm extremely commited in a relationship(loyalty) and it's a very important part of my life (idealism?), I know I'd be crushed if my current relationship ended.

sarah

soft and silky
MBTI Type
isfp
I'm extremely commited in a relationship(loyalty) and it's a very important part of my life (idealism?), I know I'd be crushed if my current relationship ended.

Oh, I see -- in that case, I'm totally in agreement there. I'd be crushed if my marriage ended too.

Sarah
ISFP

millerm277

MBTI Type
ISTP
Blue-Mixed
Green-Me
Red-Not me.

* - Likely to pit themselves, or their technique, against chance, odds, or fate. Definitely, I'd guess I probably have about an 80% success rate, when it works, it's great...
* - Play on impulse. What's a deadline? Sounds unimportant.
* - Seek thrills in play. It'd be boring otherwise....
* - The managerial style negotiates with ease and has, of all the types, the highest sense of reality. He is a natural negotiator, but other titles which might . . . . I am a fantastic negotiator, but I HATE doing it, touchy feely stuff isn't my strong point.
* - Ready to try almost anything once. I can be convinced to try some things, but the fact that I haven't done it before isn't a big draw to try it.
* - Don't tread on me because I don't know how I'll react. 100% true. I probably have less of an idea as to what my response will be than you do.
* - Spontaneous, easygoing view of life. Yes, sometimes to an unhealthy extent (Not getting anything done)
* - One can never predict which reaction to expect from them. Stated above, but I don't really know what it'll be either most of the time.
* - ISTP parents do not believe in planning. They tend to wait and see what each day brings, and then do what is needed at the time. Not a parent. Never will be. I hate kids, but this sounds like what I'd be if the above weren't factors.
* - ISTPs in their general living and certainly in parenting, know that the best-laid plans go awry. I always plan for what will happen if things don't work out the way I hope.

Grayscale

MBTI Type
ISTP
I always plan for what will happen if things don't work out the way I hope.

do you really plan things out? generally i much prefer to figure out what to do in the moment, but i was explaining to someone recently the difference between planning, and what i often do which is more of a precognition of various possible outcomes and situations so i have the tools (in that case, the thoughts) available if i need them.

to me, planning seems pointless because there is really no way of knowing what is going to happen and any alteration makes your detailed plans useless. however, i am almost always the most prepared person of the bunch, which requires thinking ahead. this always seemed fundamentally different from the people i know who want to get into the details of what's going to happen and what they plan to do from a long ways off.

I can be convinced to try some things, but the fact that I haven't done it before isn't a big draw to try it.

that one's pretty accurate for me, personally. :) as long as it isnt harmful, im always looking to broaden my scope of perspective by experiencing new things. just today, i took some vicodin after going to the dentist and it was the first time i had taken it... even something stupid and relatively unimportant like that seems novel to me since it's a new experience.

millerm277

MBTI Type
ISTP
do you really plan things out? generally i much prefer to figure out what to do in the moment, but i was explaining to someone recently the difference between planning, and what i often do which is more of a precognition of various possible outcomes and situations so i have the tools (in that case, the thoughts) available if i need them.

That's more along the lines of what I do. I was thinking of them as the same thing, but you're probably right. I more recognize what might happen, and have a decent idea of what to do if it does happen, but then decide at that moment what exactly I'm going to do.

SaltyWench

MBTI Type
xxxx
* - Most misunderstood of all. Am I misunderstood?
* - Tendency not to express themselves directly, but through action. Of course.
* - Does not plan and prepare. Pffffffft! I DO plan, and I DO prepare! (Just not all the time!)
* - Special kind of intelligence. Really?
* - Kindest of all the types. I call B.S. ;)
* - Sometimes seen by others as reserved and private. True.
* - Instinctive longing for the natural, the pastoral, the bucolic. I haven't discovered this side of myself yet... or it's inaccurate.
* - Easily bored, wanting excitement, risk, chance and tests of luck. Yes!
* - Spender rather than a saver. I save. I budget. I plan. Party today, party tomorrow as well.
* - Likely to become a pacifist or environmentalist. My friends call me "the Warmonger", and I like it. So, B.S.
* - Negotiates with ease. LOL, yes!
* - As negotiator, goes into a situation with the intent of getting warring factions to compromise. This is most effective.
* - Troubleshooting I excel at this sometimes.
* - Very low need to lead and control others. *nods*
* - Lives harmoniously. Yes.
* - Encourages all life to fulfill its potential. But of course.
* - Difficult for ISFPs to understand the need of some people to impose limits or structure on others. Incorrect. I can see the need for external structure and limits. However, the best structure is internal. That's the kind to nurture and encourage.
* - Blends in. I go to the kid's soccer games wearing the same thing I'd wear on a night out, for example. Do I blend in? Hell no! Do I want to? Honestly, I don't care!
* - Can easily be overlooked or overpowered. If I don't care, sure.
* - Creative, artsy. It comes to me in bouts.
* - Often oblivious to the "standard" way. Indeed.
* - Little need to lead or influence. True, unless the current leader of a situation is a total dumbass. Then consider the need high.
* - Little interest in the conceptual and abstract and is most responsive to the pragmatic. *shrugs* Give me a concrete example of this question and I'll get back to you.
* - Money is secondary, the primary concern is that service be rendered. If proper service be rendered, money always follows. Service first.
* - Little need to plan. Agreed.

wolfy

awsm

- Most misunderstood of all. I don't know
- Tendency not to express themselves directly, but through action.Yeah
- Does not plan and prepare. I'm pretty off and on.
- Special kind of intelligence.
ISFP has a special kind of intelligence, under the definition that intelligence means doing things well under
varying circumstances. This particular category of intelligence might be called “artisan concretization”. This
artisan concretization somehow keeps the ISFP more closely in touch with the very real. While the ISTP is
attuned to the tool, so to speak, the ISFP is attuned to color, line, texture, shading — touch, motion, seeing, and
hearing in harmony. This is from from hereIt's a pdf.
Yes but I'm a terrible singer.
- Kindest of all the types.I can be a dick.But people say I'm nice I suppose.
- Sometimes seen by others as reserved and private.Yes
Instinctive longing for the natural, the pastoral, the bucolic.Yes
- Easily bored, wanting excitement, risk, chance and tests of luck.Yes
- Spender rather than a saver.Yes,Yes. :doh:
- Likely to become a pacifist or environmentalist. environmentalist maybe
- Negotiates with ease.No
- As negotiator, goes into a situation with the intent of getting warring factions to compromise. Yes I can see both sides.
- Troubleshooting Very much so
- Very low need to lead and control others.
- Lives harmoniously. Yeah. Unless I am being controlled.
- Encourages all life to fulfill its potential. Yep
- Difficult for ISFPs to understand the need of some people to impose limits or structure on others. What's up with that? :cheese:
- Blends in. Yes and No. I am a reserved show off.
- Can easily be overlooked or overpowered . Not really. Though some have thought that
- Creative, artsy. Yes more creative than artsy.
- Often oblivious to the "standard" way. Sometimes.
- Little need to lead or influence. Yes
- Little interest in the conceptual and abstract and is most responsive to the pragmatic. Very true
- Money is secondary, the primary concern is that service be rendered . Yes
- Little need to plan. Yes I don't plan for the future so much. For a project yes and I enjoy it.

Rebel Nun

MBTI Type
ISTP
General description of the ISTP

* - Likely to pit themselves, or their technique, against chance, odds, or fate.Depends on if I think the risk is worth it. :)
* - Play on impulse. A lot of the time, yes.
* - Seek thrills in play.For sure.
* - The managerial style negotiates with ease and has, of all the types, the highest sense of reality. He is a natural negotiator, but other titles which might . . . .I am NOT a negotiator. If it needs to be said, then say it. None of this sugar coated stuff.
* - Ready to try almost anything once.That's the fun in life!
* - Don't tread on me because I don't know how I'll react.YES! And watch out if you tread too much and too long!
* - Spontaneous, easygoing view of life.Yup.
* - One can never predict which reaction to expect from them. Most of the time I'm pretty even keeled, but if something ticks me off you will know.
* - ISTP parents do not believe in planning. They tend to wait and see what each day brings, and then do what is needed at the time.Depends. I'm not a parent yet, but I do plan things in situations I'm stressed out about.
* - ISTPs in their general living and certainly in parenting, know that the best-laid plans go awry.For sure...no one knows whats going to happen, so just be prepared for anything.
* - Low need to impose themselves on their children.Probably, altho being a first born I may let my "strict" side show.

ViCyniC

MBTI Type
ISTP
Not really into cars and mechanics. Haven't engaged in casual sexual encounters (never had a gf, either).

That's about it at the top of my head.

KDude

I never read those descriptions before. The ISTP one seems accurate, with a dose of some of the ISFP stuff (aesthetic intelligence.. probably not to the same extent though).

I'm actually trying to plan more lately.. I think I should start using calendars and notebook apps (like evernote). Not sure if it's going to work.

ayoitsStepho

Twerking & Lurking
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
ISFP FTW!!

* - Most misunderstood of all. I think I'm personally misunderstood, but that has to do with people not caring enough to know.
* - Tendency not to express themselves directly, but through action. Yes, but I'm working on being more direct for others sake.
* - Does not plan and prepare. It really depends on how big the project/event is. Usually I can keep it all in my head, but if it's a huge ordeal, then I need to at least make vague goals to finish it.
* - Special kind of intelligence. Er... I have a lot of wisdom for my age, does this count?
* - Kindest of all the types. It's possible. I don't feel as if I have a reason to be mean most of the time.
* - Sometimes seen by others as reserved and private. Oh yeah.
* - Instinctive longing for the natural, the pastoral, the bucolic. Sometimes. I live in the woods, so no for now.
* - Easily bored, wanting excitement, risk, chance and tests of luck. I'm actually rarely bored.
* - Spender rather than a saver. I save pretty well. I usually take half of my paychecks and put them up for savings and then I blow the rest of it, lol.
* - Likely to become a pacifist or environmentalist. Ick, no.
* - Negotiates with ease. Wow, I never thought about this, but it's true for me.
* - As negotiator, goes into a situation with the intent of getting warring factions to compromise. Yes.
* - Troubleshooting I'm pretty good at this. I'm the one my family calls in such cases.
* - Very low need to lead and control others. Mhmm
* - Lives harmoniously. Yes, but like Wolfy said, I don't like being controlled so that would be about one of the few reasons I wouldn't be harmonious.
* - Encourages all life to fulfill its potential. Why yes, yes I do.
* - Difficult for ISFPs to understand the need of some people to impose limits or structure on others. Ehh, I'm not very sure.
* - Blends in. I don't think I do and I don't usually desire to blend in.
* - Can easily be overlooked or overpowered. Depends really. I'm really good at being overlooked and then surprising everybody.
* - Creative, artsy. Yuppers
* - Often oblivious to the "standard" way. Sometimes.
* - Little need to lead or influence. True.
* - Little interest in the conceptual and abstract and is most responsive to the pragmatic. Kind of untrue for me.
* - Money is secondary, the primary concern is that service be rendered. Yes
* - Little need to plan. True.

DoctorYikes

MBTI Type
ISTP
Huh. Coolness on the Temperament Sorter thing. I love bullet list versions. Those mawkish flowery rants about how special each type is and how to engage our inner power stuff usually just gives me Durchfall.

Rather than repost the batch (Getting a busy thing going on here), let's just go with the quantitative version:

General ISTP: 10/11
ISTP Strengths: 5/5
ISTP Weakness: 7/8
ISTP Self-Assessment: 3/3
ISTP Improvement: Kinda a solid summary of things that I've had to become conscious of over the years, though there are still a few there that trip me up.