• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[ISFP] ISFPs and Gender

Sunshine

MBTI Type
ABCD
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Just to make it clear, I was only mistaken for a male because they couldn't see me.

If you look at me it's really obvious that I'm a female. ;)

Sunshine

MBTI Type
ABCD
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
My brother's an iSFP, but I wouldn't say he's girly at all. He does seriously cry during just about every movie though. :devil:

Colors you are an ESTJ now? :( Come back to the SP Art House!! Don't leave us!

sarah

soft and silky
MBTI Type
isfp
Just to make it clear, I was only mistaken for a male because they couldn't see me.

If you look at me it's really obvious that I'm a female. ;)

You mean they thought the way you wrote was "masculine"? I've often wondered about that. ARE there any actual differences that show up in the way men and women write -- assuming you can't see their handwriting-- becuase I tend to think not...
:)

Sarah
ISFP

Colors

The Destroyer
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
You mean they thought the way you wrote was "masculine"? I've often wondered about that. ARE there any actual differences that show up in the way men and women write -- assuming you can't see their handwriting-- becuase I tend to think not...
:)

Sarah
ISFP

This seems to think there are (they studied fiction). There's a whole online test too. It's pretty entertaining.

Sounds kind of F/T in MBTI terms. Male and female brains *are* different. But maybe it's more modeling. Wonder if a same/similar thing can be applied to other languages. Especially considering their formula. There are plenty of languages where most objects have a gender. Would the gap between refering to another human being and an object be less then? And languages where the number of objects isn't necessarily specified (or did they just use that to count the number of objects referred to). Would it necessarily seem like women talk about relationships more and men objects more? (Or would that seem more S/N?)

Sunshine said:
Colors you are an ESTJ now? Come back to the SP Art House!! Don't leave us!

I'm just trying it out. :)

sarah

soft and silky
MBTI Type
isfp
This seems to think there are (they studied fiction). There's a whole online test too. It's pretty entertaining.

Hm..... I'm not sure whether or not I talk about relationships more than objects, but I know that I talk about relationships a heck of a lot, so it's possible. I submitted several of my long posts to The Gender Genie and it scored me consistently as a female. Ha. So maybe they have something there. ;)

Sarah
ISFP

Hirsch63

MBTI Type
IS??
Okay, I am pretty sure that I appear to be a "masculine male" to everyone out there except perhaps my partner who I can roll over and show my belly to. However there have been people (women) who have said to me that they wonder why I'm not gay...I'm not sure what I did or said to get that response...it is just curious to me. I am certainly not afraid of feelings...nor do I hide my sincere feelings or responses. I don't lather them all over others either.....

D

Dali

However there have been people (women) who have said to me that they wonder why I'm not gay...

I do also believe that I come off as masculine (although slightly flaky in the presence of those I'm close to) but I've been hit on a little too often by men of a different persuasion. I've been described as follows (copy-pasted): "Mo is probably one of the gentlest, kindest, and most patient persons I have met. Despite everything that went wrong at dinner, he managed to keep his cool and made things work..."

A similar description would also apply to the few male ISFPs I've known. Society tends to look upon those two italicised adjectives as being of a more female than male bent. I suppose that might be why, although masculine, some of us may be viewed as having some 'feminine traits' too.

Oso Mocoso

MBTI Type
ISFJ
My two best friends are ISFPs. My guy friend is a very masculine auto mechanic. My female friend is a classically trained artist. In terms of specifically their gender roles, they have practically nothing in common. In a lot of other ways, they're on the same page.

"?"

MBTI Type
TiSe
Just how feminine does one have to appear to be considered "effeminate"? Clearly sexual orientation has no bearing. Anyhow I am not sure what type has to do with this.

Quinlan

Intriguing....
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
9w1
It depends on your definition of masculine I suppose, if being masculine is to be aggressive and uncaring then I'm not that at all.

sarah

soft and silky
MBTI Type
isfp
Just how feminine does one have to appear to be considered "effeminate"? Clearly sexual orientation has no bearing. Anyhow I am not sure what type has to do with this.

Yeah, good question. It all depends on what you've been conditioned since birth to believe. Those of us who grew up in environments that accepted a wide variety of human behaviors as being non-gender specific (such as crying when you feel sad, or being bold and assertive when you need to make a point) are likely not to go around labelling behavior as being either too masculine (for women) or too feminine (for men).

Sarah
ISFP

Sunshine

MBTI Type
ABCD
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Yeah, good question. It all depends on what you've been conditioned since birth to believe. Those of us who grew up in environments that accepted a wide variety of human behaviors as being non-gender specific (such as crying when you feel sad, or being bold and assertive when you need to make a point) are likely not to go around labelling behavior as being either too masculine (for women) or too feminine (for men).

Sarah
ISFP

I guess I grew up in one of those environments.

sarah

soft and silky
MBTI Type
isfp
I guess I grew up in one of those environments.

Yeah, and then when you go to school and you start learning that most everybody ELSE lives by a bunch of seemingly pointless gender rules, it doesn't make sense. I never overtly questioned anybody's social rules, but I did spend a lot of time wondering why they existed in the first place. :rolli:

Sarah
ISFP

wolfy

awsm
(pats Jeffster on the back)

Hey, it's okay, ALL my male friends cry during movies. I say it's a sign that they are truly "emotionally literate" people. Hee! (well, or else it just means they just like tearjerker dramas...) Actually, there was an ISTP on another type list I'm on who said he cries during movies too, so I don't think it's an F thing. And I recall a (possibly) ISTP guy I dated in grad school once said to me that anybody who never cried when Old Yeller died is heartless. ;)

Sarah
I balled watching the Poseiden Adventure when the fat lady drowned :cry:

riel

MBTI Type
ISFP
I think it's hilarious that most of the male ISFPs I know consider themselves to be effeminate while I, a female ISFP, have even been mistaken for a male on other forums. (I thought here on this forum my gender was obvious though.)

ISFPs are you:

A) A masculine male
B) A tomboy female
C) An effeminate male
D) A feminine female

D..though I'm not into makeup and trends in clothes. I just wear what's comfortable.:)

apersonperson

MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
When I was young, i told people I was a tomboy because i didn't want to play netball like the other galzzz. And then it stuck

maliafee

This is an interesting post!

I grew up a semi-tomboy (but I had FOUR <count 'em> brothers, three of them older than me). I still have a tomboy feel to me I guess. But I'm comfortable with being stereotypically feminine in a lot of ways. I do wear makeup and find it particularly enjoyable to wear stylish-looking clothing.

All that said, I agree with some of you others that this has nothing to do with type. I've known really masculine-y guy ESFPs, for instance, and REALLY effeminate ones as well. I think that it's a separate thing (type and gender portrayal).

What does seem to have a lot to do with type, at least being an ISFP, in my opinion, is that whatever we <i>are</i> into we aren't afraid to show it. I don't even mean this as specific to gender roles, just anything.

My ex-boyfriend (ISFP) was very into body piercing and wasn't afraid to show this to EVERYONE (including showing his illegal testical piercing...). This didn't really bother me, but I would probably not have shown that part of my body to random strangers - that's just me. However, I'm not afraid to show that which I am personally into, proud of, or that I identify with.

Hmm, and I will say he was a pretty immature ISFP, my ex, very, very cocky in certain situations. Definitely could have been misread for an immature ISTP -- if you weren't very familiar with ISFP types a bit.

Malia
ISFP