User Tag List

First 6789 Last

Quote Originally Posted by Quinlan View Post
    I hate reckless driving, I'd tell the driver they're an effin idiot.
    Me too! Clowns.

I'm a controlled hedonist. Too poor to be a reckless hedonist.

MBTI
    isfp

Quote Originally Posted by substitute View Post
    ...what I meant was that my ISTP will be all "need for speed" and all that when it comes to HIM driving, but get him out of the driving seat and he's white knuckles all the way, the worst back seat driver I have ever known. He doesn't even have a licence and yet he'll keep pointing stuff out and telling me to slow down for corners and stuff haha, even when it's my brother driving - a driving instructor himself - the ISTP will not just relax and trust him and enjoy the ride, at the slightest hint of anything being 'not completely safe' he's exclaiming and stuff, when you stop he'll get out and say woah, now my chest can recover! (even though nothing of note happened!)

Yeah, I get so tense being in a car with someone like that. Their aggressive, combative, dictatorial style sucks all the pleasure out of driving OR riding as a passenger.

So like, though my ISFP seems able to trust the driver and just go wooooooohooooo!!! when there's some adverse driving conditions and you peg it round a sharp corner in 4th gear in the rain, the ISTP's inability to trust makes him just go all anal and pussy. And he never misses a chance to lecture me when I don't wear my seat belt. ISFP just shrugs.

Driving can be pleasurable, and so can riding as a passenger, and I think it involves getting into this comfort zone where you feel as if the car were an extension of your body. Then you don't get bent out of shape by other drivers, and the car's pace feels natural to you.

Sarah

MBTI
    ISTP

Quote Originally Posted by wolfy View Post
    I'm a controlled hedonist. Too poor to be a reckless hedonist.
    I can relate to this a lot. I can take risks when I feel like I'm in control of a situation. Because then it's not such a big risk as it would otherwise. It takes a fair bit of respect for someone else's ability before I feel comfortable relinquishing control over some things, and even then soemtimes I'm mroe tense than if it were me taking the risks.

That and hedonism for me is being able to enjoy things. I don't particularly enjoy being in intense agony, so reckless risk taking is something that has never appealed to me.

MBTI
    ENTP

I hate reckless driving, I'd tell the driver they're an effin idiot.
    me too, if they WERE driving recklessly. I'm not talking about reckless driving here, but just GOOD driving in difficult conditions, like heavy rain, steep slopes, sharp corners etc., but especially in the case of the driving instructor who has passed three advanced driving tests and knows exactly what he's doing, is driving his own car on a well-known road, I'd sit back and enjoy the ride and not be worried at all unless the driver was.

My ISTP though, he whines like a granny even when it's good driving in good conditions. He's just a terrible back seat driver, which is just even more annoying since he hasn't even passed his test and yet he's telling an instructor what to do. But he's always uber safety conscious. We all call him Hard-hat or Goggles cos he's the only one in high school who always used his goggles during science (even the teacher didn't), and he's the only one I know who actually puts on the hard hat they give you when you go into this ruined castle near us, damn place has stood for 700 years and no stone has moved for 300 years, yet he's all "you never know!" and tutting at us for being "reckless" lol
    Ils se d�merdent, les mecs: trop bon, trop con..................................MY BLOG!

"When it all comes down to dust
    I will kill you if I must
    I will help you if I can" - Leonard Cohen

MBTI
    isfp

Quote Originally Posted by Pancreas View Post
    I can relate to this a lot. I can take risks when I feel like I'm in control of a situation. Because then it's not such a big risk as it would otherwise. It takes a fair bit of respect for someone else's ability before I feel comfortable relinquishing control over some things, and even then soemtimes I'm mroe tense than if it were me taking the risks.

That and hedonism for me is being able to enjoy things. I don't particularly enjoy being in intense agony, so reckless risk taking is something that has never appealed to me.

Your definition of hedonistic is a lot like mine: I think of it as focusing your mind and body on the pleasurable aspects of whatever you encounter instead of dwelling on the negatives. Also, having a strong desire to turn everything in your daily life into an object of beauty, sensual delight, and having the ability to turn challenges into fun and exciting games.

And we have similar views regarding risk-taking: I think of it as quickly assessing a situation and making an instant decision that's in line with what you see as being a desirable outcome, without unnecessary waffling around. I think SPs feel good about taking risks that have the potential to bring about a desirable situation. Having an impact on others doesn't necessarily mean doing stupid things to get attention.

Sarah

veteran attention whore Jeffster's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESFP
    Enneagram
    7w6 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Quote Originally Posted by sarah View Post
    Having an impact on others doesn't necessarily mean doing stupid things to get attention.
    No, but that can be fun too.
    Jeffster Illustrates the Artisan Temperament <---- click here

"I like the sigs with quotes in them from other forum members." -- Oberon

The SP Spazz Youtube Channel

MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    9w1
    Socionics
    Booo

me too, if they WERE driving recklessly. I'm not talking about reckless driving here, but just GOOD driving in difficult conditions, like heavy rain, steep slopes, sharp corners etc., but especially in the case of the driving instructor who has passed three advanced driving tests and knows exactly what he's doing, is driving his own car on a well-known road, I'd sit back and enjoy the ride and not be worried at all unless the driver was.
    Is it an open road? with other road users? I just hate the idea of playing dice with other people's lives. I've seen and heard about too many "good" drivers that stuff up (being human) and kill someone. I have no problem with people taking risks with their own lives, I just don't like it when they start doing it with others. If someone I was driving felt uncomfortable or "pussy" about the way I was driving I would happily slow down for them, maybe it's an F thing...

MBTI
    ENTP

Is it an open road? with other road users? I just hate the idea of playing dice with other people's lives. I've seen and heard about too many "good" drivers that stuff up (being human) and kill someone. I have no problem with people taking risks with their own lives, I just don't like it when they start doing it with others. If someone I was driving felt uncomfortable or "pussy" about the way I was driving I would happily slow down for them, maybe it's an F thing...
    Like I say, we're talking normal road, normal driving, no other passengers nor driver are in the slightest concerned, but ISTP is doing backflips at every single bend, telling you to "mind that cyclist! (who is right in front of you and wearing a high vis. jacket and whom you had clearly already clocked)" and "watch out for that pedestrian! (who is half a km away and on the sidewalk)". You're driving under the speed limit and obviously in perfect control. Honestly, to slow down for him you'd be holding up the traffic!! Like I said he's known for being very overly and conspicuously safety conscious, more so than most reasonable people, hence the nicknames since high school that I mentioned before. The ISFP that was with us at the time was fine, she was cool and relaxed and found ISTP's overbearing safety-consciousness irritating and kept telling him to ffs calm down and trust the driver, who had been driving for 30 years without so much as a single bump or scratch.
    Ils se d�merdent, les mecs: trop bon, trop con..................................MY BLOG!

"When it all comes down to dust
    I will kill you if I must
    I will help you if I can" - Leonard Cohen

MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    9w1
    Socionics
    Booo

Oh ok, haha I think I missed the point.

MBTI
    ENTJ