User Tag List

First 23456 Last

Results 31 to 40 of 86

  1. #31
    Senior Member Angry Ayrab's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Posts
    600

    Default

    Lol, the anti-S world of the internet is very well played out on MBTIc and more overdone on INTJforum in the shape of the next evolutionary step of human beings. I always get a kick out of visiting INTJforum because of how many of them have this one-up-manship about being the most INTJish of the bunch. Most of the time its about one upping each other in the worst and most unhealthy qualities of being an INTJ. Many look down upon us other N types for being whatever it is they look down upon, but being an S immediettly throws you into the category of the sheeple.

    I have honestly come to the conclusion that many of these people do suffer (or maybe love it) Aspergers syndrome at the least. They show typicall characteristics for the traits presented by one. Now that is very unprofessional of me, to make an E-diagnosis, but in med school, so far I have been able to dominate the class in the psych department.

    Honestly, I personally love socializing in real life more than most people and can hang with anyone to speak about any topic no matter how mundane it is. The thing is, no matter how much socializing I can get, I never really get to talk about what I really like to talk about because most people find it boring (I pick up on that quick) or have nothing or can't come up with anything to input quick enough. Also, most people would take my on fire conversational method to be very offensive, I get really quick with the topic drifting and very quick with finishing others sentances. Some people are really peeved by that so I always have to sensor myself.

    I, like many other weird people, get to come on here and talk with people about things that really do interest me. The internet becomes my solace to talk about anything and everything my dysfunctional brain feels like exploring simultaneously. So when I am interested in disscussing lasers and also disscussing psych at the same time, I can be found on two forums asking related questions to both sides and not being critisized for being so random. Only issue with the net that it is never quick enough for me in terms of responses, I do really more enjoy that in your face at the moment interaction.

    Anyway, I know this probably doesn't make sense at all, but I just wanted to show you a glimpse of the inside of the N type (insane) mind, so you can see the other side of the fence maybe a lttle easier.

    But trust me, I do understand where you are coming from with the S-types being looked down upon on the webs, and it is seriously due to a lack of maturity and willingness to understand people of all walks of life. Humans are creatures of comfort and they gravitate to what they feel most comfortable with, while trying to block out all that may poke them the wrong way without probing it to make it a part of their life so the poking turns into a pleasurable stimulus.

    /rant off.

  2. #32
    Dali
    Guest

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sarah View Post
    I gotta admit I've been so used to talking "on a plane that the N-people can understand," that I'd have to remind myself that around my fellow SPs, being lighthearted won't get me automatically branded as shallow. Heh.
    Ah, the lighthearted bit about me actually sort of died after a 1/4 life crisis last year and I'm slowly reclaiming it. I'm also learning to somehow temper it around Ns though else they 'close off' or get this weird lost look on their faces that is actually kind of cute (the latter).


    Actually, I got interested in type about 5 years ago through a desire to have a better relationship with my INFJ mother. I wish we'd both known about psychological type when I was a kid/teenager. Ironic that I end up marrying an _NFJ guy. But then, what's hard to love about dominant Fe people? (I think our marriage could be described as One Giant Feeling!)
    If you don't mind my asking, what would you describe as type-specific hurdles you may have had with your SO? I ask because I'm considering getting romantically involved with an ENFJ and she seems like the prototype of her 'type'.

  3. #33
    soft and silky sarah's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    MBTI
    isfp
    Posts
    548

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Angry Ayrab View Post
    Lol, the anti-S world of the internet is very well played out on MBTIc and more overdone on INTJforum in the shape of the next evolutionary step of human beings. I always get a kick out of visiting INTJforum because of how many of them have this one-up-manship about being the most INTJish of the bunch. Most of the time its about one upping each other in the worst and most unhealthy qualities of being an INTJ. Many look down upon us other N types for being whatever it is they look down upon, but being an S immediettly throws you into the category of the sheeple.

    I have honestly come to the conclusion that many of these people do suffer (or maybe love it) Aspergers syndrome at the least. They show typicall characteristics for the traits presented by one. Now that is very unprofessional of me, to make an E-diagnosis, but in med school, so far I have been able to dominate the class in the psych department.

    Honestly, I personally love socializing in real life more than most people and can hang with anyone to speak about any topic no matter how mundane it is. The thing is, no matter how much socializing I can get, I never really get to talk about what I really like to talk about because most people find it boring (I pick up on that quick) or have nothing or can't come up with anything to input quick enough. Also, most people would take my on fire conversational method to be very offensive, I get really quick with the topic drifting and very quick with finishing others sentances. Some people are really peeved by that so I always have to sensor myself.

    I, like many other weird people, get to come on here and talk with people about things that really do interest me. The internet becomes my solace to talk about anything and everything my dysfunctional brain feels like exploring simultaneously. So when I am interested in disscussing lasers and also disscussing psych at the same time, I can be found on two forums asking related questions to both sides and not being critisized for being so random. Only issue with the net that it is never quick enough for me in terms of responses, I do really more enjoy that in your face at the moment interaction.

    Anyway, I know this probably doesn't make sense at all, but I just wanted to show you a glimpse of the inside of the N type (insane) mind, so you can see the other side of the fence maybe a lttle easier.

    But trust me, I do understand where you are coming from with the S-types being looked down upon on the webs, and it is seriously due to a lack of maturity and willingness to understand people of all walks of life. Humans are creatures of comfort and they gravitate to what they feel most comfortable with, while trying to block out all that may poke them the wrong way without probing it to make it a part of their life so the poking turns into a pleasurable stimulus.

    /rant off.
    It'd sound awfully Bill Clintonesque if I said I felt your pain, and I know I really don't actually know exactly how it feels to be you, but I want you to know I really do feel terrible whenever I hear about people being criticized repeatedly throughout their life for their cognitive preferences. I mean it -- it really makes me feel sad and angry at the same time whenever I hear about how people who prefer iNtuition have had to suffer what amounts to emotional abuse from parents, siblings, classmates, bosses, etc. simply because their brains are wired differently than that of the majority.

    I'd love to live inside the mind of either an NF or an NT for a day just so I could get a tiny glimpse of what it's really like, in order to better appreciate them.

    I understand that it can be really boring being around people who don't share your interests. It's especially bad if they seem to resent your individual choices rather than just being live-and-let-live about it. Being the boredom-phobe that I am, I also fear being stuck in social situations where I have to converse with people I have absolutely nothing in common with and who can't even tell an entertaining story, and I imagine the same is true for iNtuitives.

    I can even understand the reason for the backlash against people who prefer Sensing. It stands to reason that when some people who have been severely criticized all their lives for who they are discover that these traits are actually very awesome and worthy of celebrating, its not surprising that they sometimes feel they want to get back at their oppressors, even if it's just a symbolic gesture. I guess temporarily it "evens the score" for them. Too bad they can't spare the rest of us and just confront those actual people who have hurt them, but hey, I get where all that energy comes from, and I'm trying to not let it get to me personally.

    Also, although I love to roll my eyes at the arrogance of some people in these discussion groups, it doesn't surprise me that most type discussion groups are made up of mostly NTs and NFs. Were it not for the fact that occasionally I have a slow day on the reference desk, I'd probably not spend much time on the computer myelf. I'm one of those SPs who has a huge number of hands-on projects in the works right now, not to mention books I want to read and projects I'd love to get started on... *sigh* Whenver I think about this, I feel kind of glad my hubby's an extravert who has more friends than he can possibly keep up with, and who can get into lots of deep conversations with a few special few, so I'm not left having to be his sole conversational outlet for that. My limit for "deep and meaningful" conversations is about an hour at any given time, after which I want to get up and run around screaming and being silly (or dancing, depending if there's any music available).

    Sarah

  4. #34
    Dali
    Guest

    Default

    Lol, the anti-S world of the internet is very well played out on MBTIc and more overdone on INTJforum in the shape of the next evolutionary step of human beings. I always get a kick out of visiting INTJforum because of how many of them have this one-up-manship about being the most INTJish of the bunch. Most of the time its about one upping each other in the worst and most unhealthy qualities of being an INTJ. Many look down upon us other N types for being whatever it is they look down upon, but being an S immediettly throws you into the category of the sheeple.
    That never fails to amuse me too.


    I have honestly come to the conclusion that many of these people do suffer (or maybe love it) Aspergers syndrome at the least. They show typicall characteristics for the traits presented by one. Now that is very unprofessional of me, to make an E-diagnosis, but in med school, so far I have been able to dominate the class in the psych department.
    It's funny you say that; there was a thread a while ago that determined what 'social disorder' you were most likely to suffer from.

    Several were 'diagnosed' with Asperger's and many seemed almost... pleased with the result... I'll never understand INTJs. lol


    Anyway, I know this probably doesn't make sense at all, but I just wanted to show you a glimpse of the inside of the N type (insane) mind, so you can see the other side of the fence maybe a lttle easier.
    Thank you for that candid view of your side of the fence

    And you're no more insane than we are. Remember, we're the crackpots...

  5. #35
    soft and silky sarah's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    MBTI
    isfp
    Posts
    548

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by OperaLover View Post
    Ah, the lighthearted bit about me actually sort of died after a 1/4 life crisis last year and I'm slowly reclaiming it. I'm also learning to somehow temper it around Ns though else they 'close off' or get this weird lost look on their faces that is actually kind of cute (the latter).
    Oh my god, I know that weird look! You say something silly and throwaway that's meant just for a quick laugh, but they stand there trying to figure out the implications of what it ll means. It can be awkward. (I've even had that with some people who view my art -- should I tell them that I really just felt like drawing tree branches because sometimes drawing tree branches is fun, or should I let them think it's got layers of profound depth to it?)

    Quote Originally Posted by OperaLover View Post
    If you don't mind my asking, what would you describe as type-specific hurdles you may have had with your SO? I ask because I'm considering getting romantically involved with an ENFJ and she seems like the prototype of her 'type'.

    Wow.. well, first of all, it feels wonderful to have someone really understand and appreciate you on a deep level. I think dominant Fe people are hugely generous when it comes to displaying genuine caring for others, and by caring I mean the emotonial sort, not necessarily taking care of your physical needs (although they seem to want to please on every level). I think ENFJs also take care of your feelings and validate everything you feel, even if they don't understand it or even agree with your choices. They're also somehow able to honor a person's humanity and dignity and worth and keep all of that separate from their feelings about those people's behavior, so they tend to be less judgmental than many people. They may not approve of everything the people around them do, but they won't talk about anyone in a dehumanizing sort of way.

    One thing I've had to learn the hard way is that there really is no such thing as "common" sense, and that what's sensible for an ENFJ may have nothing to do with logic or what we typically view as being "sensible". I'm not the most logical person in the world either, but I have learned not to try to argue with Greg when it looks as though he feels strongly about something that's really not worth making a big deal about, or if the way he's interpreted something seems a bit off-the-wall to me. Much better to just accept that this is how he feels, and work out some sort of compromise if necessary.

    I've also learned to be sensitive to his moods because he seems more comfortable talking about other people's pain than about his own personal hurts, and it's all to easy for me to get caught up in how I feel and forget that just because he's not talking about HIS feelings, that he must therefore be thinking the same as I do.

    I've also learned that my hubby has a very selective memory, and that he has a tendency to recall events and decisions in a way that doesn't always match what really happened. Often his interpretation is based on what he thinks ought to have happened, or what should have been decided upon rather than what actually took place. I try to tell myself it's not worth arguing about -- much better to go with the flow and work out something we can both be happy with right here and now. I think SPs are more easily accomodating of that, since we tend to be present-oriented anyway, so the past is usually water under the bridge.

    I don't know about all ENFJs, but my husband is very averse to conflict, and it pains him whenver he has to bring up a touchy subject. He'll hedge around and phrase everything so diplomatically (usualy starting out with compliments to soften things up) that I finally end up saying, "What? What did I do? Just.. just -- rrrrg! Okay, I promise nothing will be bad if you tell me, okay?"

    The main thing I've learned after 6 years of marriage is that ENFJs can be remarkably easy to live with and love, but that you do need to remember to give them LOTS of verbal affection (!!!) and also remember that their feelings might be totaly different than yours and that you need to find out exactly how they feel and validate that before you make the assumption that all is well with them.

    Good luck -- I think being in a love relationship with an ENFJ is an experience everyone should have. You haven't really lived until you've had your soul loved completely, and if my hubby is any indication, they're good at that sort of thing. But then, I'm biased in his favor.

    Ooh, one last thing -- personal growth is HUGE. You MUST be interested in learning new things, and you MUST want on some level to become more emotionally mature, or they will feel as though they've failed to connect with you (and if the ENFJ is spiritually minded, then becoming more thoughtful and repsonsive to spirituality is important to them). Blow off their ideas and insights, and it feels to them like you're blowing them off personally. They have a real gift for being spirutal teachers and mentors, for what it's worth, and personal growth is something my husband has always said is most important to him. Hope this helps!

    Sarah

  6. #36
    No moss growing on me Giggly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    MBTI
    iSFj
    Enneagram
    2 sx/so
    Posts
    9,666

    Default

    There are a lot of hedonistic people of all types.

  7. #37
    veteran attention whore Jeffster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    MBTI
    ESFP
    Enneagram
    7w6 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi
    Posts
    6,727

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sarah View Post
    You guys are too kind. I sometimes read messages on this list but never felt like joining because I hated all the type bigotry (you know what I mean -- all those people who spout off about how they think S=stupid and N = iNtelligent...). This thread about SPs who aren't irresponsible daredevil drug addicts finally made me feel like contributing.

    I belong to a yahoo discussion group in which I'm the only active SP member. It's a good group, and the owner is very friendly, but being the only person of my temperament there can make me feel a bit.. well, defensive. I'm the "token SP", which isn't as fun as maybe it sounds. There's a lot of misperception about the Artisan temperament out there.

    Sarah
    See, I've actually kinda enjoyed being like the "token SP" on this forum. There's some others but over the last few months I've been the most active poster among them, so it kinda felt that way. And I actually got a lot of appreciation for what I brought to the board, but the funny thing is that a few members have said things to me that kinda translate to "okay, we get it. Now stop being so SP." And I'm like "no, you DON'T get it. I'm not putting on an act, I'm just being me." And it's like that still kinda blows their mind a little.

    Quote Originally Posted by OperaLover View Post
    You're so Imagine how cool it would be if you, Sunshine, Jeffster and anyothersofourkindonhere and I met up to hangout? Totally understanding each other and and finishing each others' sentences and kinda knowing what the other's thinking and... no wait, that would be freaky.
    Haha, I think the trouble is we might not actually SAY anything, we might just sit there looking at each other and laughing. And then be like, what are we doing sitting here? Let's go DO something!

    Quote Originally Posted by sarah View Post
    Oh my god, I know that weird look! You say something silly and throwaway that's meant just for a quick laugh, but they stand there trying to figure out the implications of what it ll means. It can be awkward. (I've even had that with some people who view my art -- should I tell them that I really just felt like drawing tree branches because sometimes drawing tree branches is fun, or should I let them think it's got layers of profound depth to it?)

    I KNOW! It's like, sometimes I want to share my experience with someone. But when I do it with an "N" person it's like they want to analyze it and give me advice or something, and I'm like "Dude! I was just telling you what happened! Not asking for advice for what to do in the future or your thoughts on the different angles that the past can be examined from or what the people might have been feeling and how I'm not putting myself in their shoes or blahblahblah."

    Y'all are cracking me up. I should have been working, but this is much more fun.
    Jeffster Illustrates the Artisan Temperament <---- click here

    "I like the sigs with quotes in them from other forum members." -- Oberon

    The SP Spazz Youtube Channel

  8. #38
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    MBTI
    xxxx
    Posts
    142

    Default

    My lord, so many insightful replies! I'd take the time to reply to every single one of you, but I'm on a mobile device that's temperamental, so that's not a viable option right now.

    Cze Cze, glad you like my name. It's kind of an inside joke, since I'm a huge Pirates of the Caribbean fan... and I tend to over-salt my food. Seriously, the salt is always by me at dinner time. My family always directs their requests for salt to me personally. :P

    It's so good to hear from other SPs, and to know that they're not all like the pervasive stereotypes imply.

  9. #39
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    MBTI
    xxxx
    Posts
    142

    Default

    @ sarah

    Please stay and continue to post. You're worth your weight in gold! I love your definition of hedonism, it's the only way to live.

  10. #40
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    MBTI
    xxxx
    Posts
    142

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by rhinosaur View Post
    Yes, all SPs are reckless hedonists. They spend their days riding motorcycles -- the extraverts in bike gangs, the introverts jumping cars on dirt bikes. At night, they drink whiskey and snort coke, and can usually be found passed out on a friend's couch, unless they're also on a meth binge, in which case they can be found pacing in a friend's living room. They do all this at friends' places because no bar within a fifty mile radius will let them through the door. All SPs are also terrible at paying bills on time, so they avoid going home as much as possible. No one knows exactly where they get the money to party this hard, but many suspect they work odd hours with the local fire department or EMS.


    (on a more serious note, I'm thinking about going to the coast this weekend to try to catch the hurricane. I think I'm going to miss it by a day, though. Maybe it will at least bring some rain so I can go kayaking.)
    I've been laughing over this all day today. You've got a gift, dude!

Similar Threads

  1. [SP] SP, How Are You NOT Like Your Type Description?
    By SquirrelTao in forum The SP Arthouse (ESFP, ISFP, ESTP, ISTP)
    Replies: 103
    Last Post: 05-15-2017, 03:39 AM
  2. [SP] Are Sp's the most common types to be musicians?
    By Blackout in forum The SP Arthouse (ESFP, ISFP, ESTP, ISTP)
    Replies: 40
    Last Post: 03-05-2017, 10:43 AM
  3. [sp] Are sp doms the least likely to cheat?
    By Evolving Transparency in forum Instinctual Subtypes
    Replies: 36
    Last Post: 04-17-2014, 10:32 AM
  4. [SP] Are SPs more prone towards the arts?
    By Kayin in forum The SP Arthouse (ESFP, ISFP, ESTP, ISTP)
    Replies: 43
    Last Post: 09-28-2008, 09:30 AM
  5. [SP] What are SPs like?
    By edward in forum The SP Arthouse (ESFP, ISFP, ESTP, ISTP)
    Replies: 31
    Last Post: 06-08-2008, 12:04 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO