User Tag List

First 12345 Last

MBTI
    INTP

Yes, all SPs are reckless hedonists. They spend their days riding motorcycles -- the extraverts in bike gangs, the introverts jumping cars on dirt bikes. At night, they drink whiskey and snort coke, and can usually be found passed out on a friend's couch, unless they're also on a meth binge, in which case they can be found pacing in a friend's living room. They do all this at friends' places because no bar within a fifty mile radius will let them through the door. All SPs are also terrible at paying bills on time, so they avoid going home as much as possible. No one knows exactly where they get the money to party this hard, but many suspect they work odd hours with the local fire department or EMS.

(on a more serious note, I'm thinking about going to the coast this weekend to try to catch the hurricane. I think I'm going to miss it by a day, though. Maybe it will at least bring some rain so I can go kayaking.)

Dali

Quote Originally Posted by sarah View Post
    No, all SPs aren't walking disasters. Most people aren't very careful in how they define "hedonism" and other words Keirsey used to describe the SP temperament. People automatically think of words like impulsive, risk-taking, hedonistic in their worst possible light, so no wonder they think badly of our temperament.

Better definitions:

Hedonistic: focusing your mind and body on the pleasurable aspects of whatever you encounter instead of dwelling on the negatives. Also, having a strong desire to turn everything in your daily life into an object of beauty, sensual delight, and having the ability to turn challenges into fun and exciting games.

Impulsive: instant decision-making. Having no need to analyze in-depth or agonize over what has been done before or what others would do in your situation.

Risk-taking: quickly assessing a situation and making an instant decision (see impulsive) that's in line with what you see as being a desirable outcome, with no waffling around. SPs feel good about taking risks that have potential to bring about a hugely desirable situation. this is what Keirsey means by "having impact" on others -- not that you do stupid things to get attention, but rather that you take a risk that's related to something you want to achieve. Sure, SOME SPs are attracted to extreme sports, but not all of us really care about whether or not we face down death like that (some of us think ther'es a lot more pleasure to be had in creating art, making good food, growing beautiful gardens, etc, than doing death-defying stunts, and that there are many ways of getting ooos and aaaahs from others.

I'm an ISFP, and I've never damaged my body with drugs, do not have any addictions, and do not engage in extreme activities like skydiving (no desire to). I love to cook, but I eat very healthy food because I love my body and don't want to mistreat it. I love to dance and I love to exercise but I hate sports, and was never "athletic" in terms of loving ball games. I am responsible when it comes to jobs and activities I value. Sure, I have to value something in order to want to be responsible, but then, there's lots of things worth valuing out there.

So am I hedonistic? You bet! But only if you define hedonism the way I do.

Am I irresponsible? Well, I don't think I'm too bad. I keep my promises to people I care about, and I do well in pretty much everything I've felt passionate about. I have a husband (an ENFJ) whom I adore and whom I'm faithful to.

Am I an underachiever, or a mute, silent loner (stereotypes of the ISFP type)? No, I don't think so. I have a bachelo'rs degree in fine art, and a master's degree in library science, and and a job as a a professional youth services librarian and I love my job because it gives me a lot of variety, and I get to do a lot of programming for kids of all ages, including art programs. I love to draw, and majored in fine art in college. with the kids. I have a number of close friends whom I love.

I think a lot of what's written about the SP temperament is either about the extraverts or else about people who have not bothered to value personal growth. I don't think you need to have a PREFERENCE for intuition in order to want to be a lifelong learner, and I really despise how the negative examples of SPs out there have made everyone believe that this is all that people of the SP temperament can possibly accomplish.

Sarah
    (new poster)
    You go, girlfriend!

veteran attention whore Jeffster's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESFP
    Enneagram
    7w6 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Quote Originally Posted by rhinosaur View Post
    Yes, all SPs are reckless hedonists. They spend their days riding motorcycles -- the extraverts in bike gangs, the introverts jumping cars on dirt bikes. At night, they drink whiskey and snort coke, and can usually be found passed out on a friend's couch, unless they're also on a meth binge, in which case they can be found pacing in a friend's living room. They do all this at friends' places because no bar within a fifty mile radius will let them through the door. All SPs are also terrible at paying bills on time, so they avoid going home as much as possible. No one knows exactly where they get the money to party this hard, but many suspect they work odd hours with the local fire department or EMS.
    I knew I could count on rhino to bring the accuracy to the topic!

Meanwhile, here I am on a Thursday morning with no clean socks for work. So, do I go foot commando or do I put on dirty socks after my shower? These are the kind of dilemmas an SP faces in life.
    Jeffster Illustrates the Artisan Temperament <---- click here

"I like the sigs with quotes in them from other forum members." -- Oberon

The SP Spazz Youtube Channel

MBTI
    isfp

Quote Originally Posted by Jeffster View Post
    Me too, I think we might actually have enough ISFPs now for a basketball team.
    You guys are too kind. I sometimes read messages on this list but never felt like joining because I hated all the type bigotry (you know what I mean -- all those people who spout off about how they think S=stupid and N = iNtelligent...). This thread about SPs who aren't irresponsible daredevil drug addicts finally made me feel like contributing.

I belong to a yahoo discussion group in which I'm the only active SP member. It's a good group, and the owner is very friendly, but being the only person of my temperament there can make me feel a bit.. well, defensive. I'm the "token SP", which isn't as fun as maybe it sounds. There's a lot of misperception about the Artisan temperament out there.

Sarah

MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    9w1

This thread about SPs who aren't irresponsible daredevil drug addicts finally made me feel like contributing.
    Sorry to chime in, but at an earlier age I was entirely an irresponsible daredevil drug addict. In my early twenties I would have smoked anything, taken any pill or snorted any substance you would stick in front of me (no needles though, ouchie). I just had to experience everything while I could. The only thing I got hooked on was heroin but I kicked its ass in about a year and a half.

Now, in my mid-30s, all I have is the occasional beer or glass of wine. I look back at those times with fond memories of some stupidly fun times, and I am constantly amazed I survived it. I don't miss those times, but I am glad I had them.

MBTI
    ENFP

Maybe not more hedonistic, but I am most definitely more reckless than any sp I know. I mainly know three self proclaimed ESFP's and two ESTP's really well.

Dali

You guys are too kind. I sometimes read messages on this list but never felt like joining because I hated all the type bigotry (you know what I mean -- all those people who spout off about how they think S=stupid and N = iNtelligent...). This thread about SPs who aren't irresponsible daredevil drug addicts finally made me feel like contributing.

Sarah
    Ah, the N bigotry, I think I addressed that a few days ago.

I'm also frequently on the INTJ Forum where you do have a few enlightened INTJs and many that believe that they're a higher class of human. I was rather peeved in the beginning but I just find it pretty funny nowadays.

MBTI
    isfp

Quote Originally Posted by OperaLover View Post
    Ah, the N bigotry, I think I addressed that a few days ago.

I'm also frequently on the INTJ Forum where you do have a few enlightened INTJs and many that believe that they're a higher class of human. I was rather peeved in the beginning but I just find it pretty funny nowadays.

I'm always amused by the ones who claim that it's become a weary chore for them to communicate on a plane that the S-people can comprehend, and yet, when you look at what they write, it's mostly banal complaints about groups of people in general.

Sarah

Dali

I'm always amused by the ones who claim that it's become a weary chore for them to communicate on a plane that the S-people can comprehend, and yet, when you look at what they write, it's mostly banal complaints about groups of people in general.

Sarah
    You're so stealing my thoughts aren't you?

Imagine how cool it would be if you, Sunshine, Jeffster and anyothersofourkindonhere and I met up to hangout? Totally understanding each other and and finishing each others' sentences and kinda knowing what the other's thinking and... no wait, that would be freaky.

MBTI
    isfp

Quote Originally Posted by OperaLover View Post
    You're so stealing my thoughts aren't you?

Imagine how cool it would be if you, Sunshine, Jeffster and anyothersofourkindonhere and I met up to hangout? Totally understanding each other and and finishing each others' sentences and kinda knowing what the other's thinking and... no wait, that would be freaky.
    I gotta admit I've been so used to talking "on a plane that the N-people can understand," that I'd have to remind myself that around my fellow SPs, being lighthearted won't get me automatically branded as shallow. Heh.

Actually, I got interested in type about 5 years ago through a desire to have a better relationship with my INFJ mother. I wish we'd both known about psychological type when I was a kid/teenager. Ironic that I end up marrying an _NFJ guy. But then, what's hard to love about dominant Fe people? (I think our marriage could be described as One Giant Feeling!)

Sarah