User Tag List

First 2345 Last

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by millerm277 View Post
    I'd say a majority of SPs have the ABILITY to be good at the arts naturally if they're interested in it.

For me, I have zero interest in doing most "artistic" things. The exception is that I'm starting to get into airbrushing things a bit.
    Bingo

Just like I've no doubt I would have the ability to be good at fixing automobiles, if I had any interest in them. (currently I don't, but I might get into biodiesel stuff on my next vehicle.)

MBTI
    IXTX

Quote Originally Posted by Jeffster View Post
    Lots of SPs play an instrument as a profession!

Certainly lots don't too though.
    Like me
    I'm a Musician and a Teacher. Feel free to talk to me about anything =P

My motto: It's never too late

I identify with ISTP, INTP, INTJ......the % are so balanced I can't decide.

MBTI
    IxTP
    Enneagram
    9w1
    Socionics
    INTj

I've got a lot of natural talent when it comes to music and some other arts, but I can't stand practicing. I dislike busy work.
    I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by.

MBTI
    ISTP

Practicing and homework and studying for tests fall in the same awful super boring category. I hate doing them all.

I'm not artistic, although I used to be in a drawing class for a few years back when I was 10-16-ish. I got pretty good, but then my teacher moved away and I never picked it up again. My skills have appropriately deteriorated since then :P

I really want to start playing drums. Back in high school I had to learn drum stuff that the marching band did, and while memorizing the stuff was horrible, I wasn't all bad at it.

I'm completely uncreative 99.99999999% of the time. There's the random ocassion that I can come up with something, but it's certainly rare.
    I 65.63% E 34.38%
    S 68.75% N 31.25%
    T 87.1% F 12.9%
    P 66.67% J 33.33%

veteran attention whore Jeffster's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESFP
    Enneagram
    7w6 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

I want to learn the drums too. I've always had a good sense of rhythm. Drums or harmonica. I've always thought it was awesome just how much different sounds you can get out of such a simple seeming instrument as a harmonica.
    Jeffster Illustrates the Artisan Temperament <---- click here

"I like the sigs with quotes in them from other forum members." -- Oberon

The SP Spazz Youtube Channel

MBTI
    IXTX

Quote Originally Posted by Kleinheiko View Post
    I've got a lot of natural talent when it comes to music and some other arts, but I can't stand practicing. I dislike busy work.
    Well no one truly likes practicing etc. No one in there right mind does but if you truly want to be great at something you I hate practicing but I think of it as a job and try to give myself self motivation to do the tasks, you need to be very disciplined.....
    I'm a Musician and a Teacher. Feel free to talk to me about anything =P

My motto: It's never too late

I identify with ISTP, INTP, INTJ......the % are so balanced I can't decide.

MBTI
    TiSe

From his book PUM II, Keirsey says that, "Art is much more than so-called "fine arts" - music, literature, dance, sculptor, drawing, painting- and must include the theatrical arts, martial arts, industrial arts, athletic arts, medical arts indeed any activity in which successive actions are free vaiables rather than fixed constants."

It's best to consider the term "Artisan" by comparing it to Keirsey's label for NTs "Rationals". Both as Keirsey says are fitters with Artisans having a practical and technique orientation and Rationals having a pragmatic and technology orientation. So again, "art" is merely a root word when it comes to describing SPs, but when Keirsey coined the title for this group he was actually referencing to Plato's greek word 'eikonike', which when roughly translated means artifactor, icon-maker or image-maker.

One of the reasons that Linda V. Berens and Dario Nardi provide their explanation in changing titles of the temperament groups in saying:
    Having been a student of David W. Keirsey, I began using the names he gave them in 1987. However, we found that these names presented some problems when facilitators helped people figure out their best-fit temperament pattern. Participants in our workshops would often reject the temperament pattern we were calling “Artisan” because they didn’t see themselves as artistic, when being artistic is not the essence of the pattern. At the other end of the spectrum, certain names such as “Rational,” resonated with participants—who wouldn’t want to be called “rational” since its opposite is “irrational.” And in the business world, being an “Idealist” is not highly valued since we have to deal with the “real” world. The names themselves also were contributing to some biases that we wanted to avoid. It is impossible to name a pattern with any one word that has no flaws and works for everyone in all cultures, so as we set out to find new names, we developed criteria for selecting names based on the depth of our experience. The criteria consisted of three core ideas: each word had to be active, had to describe a contribution to organizations, and had to get at the talents as well as the core values of the temperament pattern it identifies.
    Thus the titles were changed to:
    Improviser - (a.k.a. Artisan/SP/Orange)

To improvise is to vary your actions to get a result using whatever is at hand. In an ever-changing environment, improvising is greatly needed. It is the ultimate expression of the freedom to respond to the needs of the moment. It is also the means to create pleasant aesthetic experiences.
    Theorist -(a.k.a. Rational/NT/Green)
    Understanding and developing theories provides the basis for mastery and competence. It is fundamental to success in business as well as in school. Businesses are built on scientific discoveries and innovations. Theory is the means to understanding an objective truth on which to build a path to achievement.
    Catalyst -(a.k.a. Idealist/NF/Blue)
    To catalyze is to engage with others in a way that promotes their identity without losing one’s own identity. Catalyzing is natural to those who need to have a meaning and purpose to their lives. It is the means to self-actualization.
    Stabilizer - (a.k.a. Guardian/SJ/Gold)
    Stabilizing prevents groups and institutions from falling apart. It is fundamental to creating an environment where one can be secure in a sense of belonging. It provides the means to economic security and behaving in a responsible way.

veteran attention whore Jeffster's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESFP
    Enneagram
    7w6 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Quote Originally Posted by "?" View Post
    "any activity in which successive actions are free variables rather than fixed constants."
    That's my favorite line in that whole book. I've never read a better description of that. The next action is a free variable. That is what I live for right there.
    Jeffster Illustrates the Artisan Temperament <---- click here

"I like the sigs with quotes in them from other forum members." -- Oberon

The SP Spazz Youtube Channel

MBTI
    TiSe

Quote Originally Posted by Jeffster View Post
    That's my favorite line in that whole book. I've never read a better description of that. The next action is a free variable. That is what I live for right there.
    Agreed wholeheartedly.

MBTI
    ISTP

Quote Originally Posted by Kayin View Post
    Well no one truly likes practicing etc. No one in there right mind does but if you truly want to be great at something you I hate practicing but I think of it as a job and try to give myself self motivation to do the tasks, you need to be very disciplined.....
    One of my cousins LOVES stuff like homework and projects. She's a total nerd. Competitive people like practicing until they're better than everyone else...
    I 65.63% E 34.38%
    S 68.75% N 31.25%
    T 87.1% F 12.9%
    P 66.67% J 33.33%