User Tag List

First 12345 Last

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    Four

the arts is a really broad term. an interest in them is, first-and-foremost, based n the individual personal, then loosely based on type. generally, i think sensing perceivers are more attracted to performance and composing arts, while NFs, NTs enjoy art that involves messages.

in my family:

my ISFP mother loves interior design. she's stated numerous times that stager or interior decorator would be her ideal careers. otherwise, she doesn't do anything else "artistic" or "creative."

my ENFP brother very fine mechanical understanding. he's an excellent (in my opinion) free hand drawer, and can strum for hours-on-end on his guitar. for a long time I thought he was an ESTP, but I think his "life in the moment" attitude comes from his enneagram type (7w8.)

i have average painting and drawing skills, but little patience for it. otherwise, i don't do anything artistic. however, i consider myself to be very sensual. i am easily overwhelmed by beautiful paintings or the photo shoots in fashion magazines. i like romantic and aesthetic period poetry, because i enjoy trying to decipher metaphors.

i have a question for SP's. do you enjoy art purely for the sensation it brings or is there something more personal about it? for example, if i see an ad in a magazine I like, aspects such as color are important, but I'd probably love the romantic possiblities behind the whole thing.
    "Why had he never appreciated what a miracle he was, brain and nerve and bounding heart?"

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    1w9

From my experience, while SPs don't necessarily have skill, a certain gracefulness tends to inhere. Craft comes naturally to them in a way that it doesn't for the rest of us.

MBTI
    IXTX

Quote Originally Posted by htb View Post
    From my experience, while SPs don't necessarily have skill, a certain gracefulness tends to inhere. Craft comes naturally to them in a way that it doesn't for the rest of us.
    So are you saying that SPs have a natural ability for art related tasks?
    I'm a Musician and a Teacher. Feel free to talk to me about anything =P

My motto: It's never too late

I identify with ISTP, INTP, INTJ......the % are so balanced I can't decide.

MBTI
    IXTX

Quote Originally Posted by ofugur View Post
    the arts is a really broad term. an interest in them is, first-and-foremost, based n the individual personal, then loosely based on type. generally, i think sensing perceivers are more attracted to performance and composing arts, while NFs, NTs enjoy art that involves messages.
    Well honestly I love composing and creating things but I also love have a message and or story behind it, thats what separates the hobbiest from an actual artist

i have a question for SP's. do you enjoy art purely for the sensation it brings or is there something more personal about it? for example, if i see an ad in a magazine I like, aspects such as color are important, but I'd probably love the romantic possiblities behind the whole thing.
    Personally, I love art for a number of reasons. First and foremost the very fact that art in general is fun regardless of what it is. To know you created something or achieved something and have recognition from peers, family, and friends. To know that the message you put in could have some affect on others and move them in such a way as to change the way they think or perceive a topic or just the fact that its beautiful.

Sometimes in music lets say, you try to capture the moment, you try to capture the energy....It doesn't need to have a meaning....It about the energy not the meaning. But then there is some art and music out there that has a meaning.

Very few art in this world is deep, the reason I say this is because if they are sending a message ( like in most popular music and music that used to be popular ) then they would want you to understand it, so they make it easier to understand and grasp for the general audience......The true music and art that is really deep is something that you can't fully understand, there is too much to grasp only the creator truly knows the meaning......

Some art really moves me and makes me go "wow". Also once you know how hard it is to do something I think you really learn to appreciate things more, but thats another topic. There is just such a wide range of reasons, I think a lot of my reasons may be more personal....I'm not exactly sure.
    I'm a Musician and a Teacher. Feel free to talk to me about anything =P

My motto: It's never too late

I identify with ISTP, INTP, INTJ......the % are so balanced I can't decide.

MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    9w1

I love creating, whether it be cooking, painting, drawing, building, organizing, etc. The joy I find is in the task itself, not necessarily the completed project. I can't really go to an art gallery and get all intellectual about what the paintings mean, but I can watch a painter paint and be totally enthralled in the process.

Most of the art I have ever created I subsequently threw in the garbage when I was done. I feel no need to ponder over what I made, I just enjoy the creation itself.

I may be an exception to the rule though.

Mud and rain and chaos... TickTock's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w3

I think a lot more is involved than type. Such as oppurtunities and self confidence and outside direction or encouragement. I'm sure a lot of SPs never realize that they have an advantage or end up following something on the basis of the arts not always being considered a valuable direction.

I do have an art and am involved in others but I always wanted to ride motorbikes, since I was a kid I dreamed about it and still have that desire now, but I've never had that chance.

MBTI
    NeFi
    Enneagram
    4w3

i'm gonna go against the grain here and say not, or at least not as much as people think they do. SP's yearn for physical experiences, but at the same time they are practical people. i can see them playing an instrument as a hobby or whatever, but definitely not as a profession. that would be more of an NF thing.

veteran attention whore Jeffster's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESFP
    Enneagram
    7w6 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Quote Originally Posted by animenagai View Post
    i'm gonna go against the grain here and say not, or at least not as much as people think they do. SP's yearn for physical experiences, but at the same time they are practical people. i can see them playing an instrument as a hobby or whatever, but definitely not as a profession. that would be more of an NF thing.
    Lots of SPs play an instrument as a profession!

Certainly lots don't too though.
    Jeffster Illustrates the Artisan Temperament <---- click here

"I like the sigs with quotes in them from other forum members." -- Oberon

The SP Spazz Youtube Channel

MBTI
    ISTP

I'd say a majority of SPs have the ABILITY to be good at the arts naturally if they're interested in it.

For me, I have zero interest in doing most "artistic" things. The exception is that I'm starting to get into airbrushing things a bit.
    I-95%, S-84%, T-89%, P-84%

MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    9w1

Quote Originally Posted by Lithium View Post
    I think a lot more is involved than type. Such as oppurtunities and self confidence and outside direction or encouragement. I'm sure a lot of SPs never realize that they have an advantage or end up following something on the basis of the arts not always being considered a valuable direction.
    I totally agree with this, without encouragement and constant prodding, the SP will be generally too lazy to get up and work their artistic magic (I am referring to myself; maybe others as well :P) unless they are simply amazing at it and love what they do.

To add some statistical content to this, me and my 3 sisters who are all SPs have always been ahead of the gang when it came to the visual arts, winning awards and all that crap