• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[ISTP] Why do some ISTPs like INFPs?

nonchalant

MBTI Type
INXX
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp
I found that odd when I read a thread about an ISTP dedicating a love song to an INFP and how that person can't stop loving the INFP.

I just don't get it.

I think that INFPs and ISTPs have opposite cognitive functions and that they tend to have a hard time understanding each other and getting along with each other. So I have a hard time figuring out why an ISTP might find an INFP attractive.

My brother is an ISTP and we couldn't get along.
I usually couldn't get along with the majority of the ISTPs I met.

My preference would be an INTJ but I have seen an ISTP being attracted to me, my ex, I just don't get why.

So I guess my question would be .. why do some ISTPs find some INFPs attractive? That really beats me.

+ patch

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
calvin and hobbes

Calvin has been typed as INFP and Hobbes, ISTP. These assessments seem more or less correct. In the comic strip, the boy and his tiger seem very compilimentary, they're different but alike. In a romantic relationship, the same dynamic could apply. my girlfriend is an INFP, and she's wonderful, though Im not an ISTP. Different functions at work could either be complimentary, or just cause lots of arguments.:huh:

capslock

MBTI Type
INFP
yeah, some of the best chemistry i've ever experienced have been with ISTPs..

indra

is
MBTI Type
jedi
Enneagram
INFP's are like weird little contraptions demanding finesse and nuance to perceive, unrivaled in complexity and sharp barby things

Riva

Enneagram
7w8
Yeah a weird combo i feel. Like to know about any real life examples.

Maybe they do work.

Oaky

Travelling mind
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I imagine some of some types might like some other types too. It's uh... that thing we call alternate preferences. Inclinations happen on a type by type basis but it's never conclusive. This is not psychological magic.

Dannik

MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
I find that the INFPs I know
are extremely similar to myself,
in terms of how we interpret the world.
I find that INFPs have a very similar set of beliefs and view of reality,
I like to talk to INFPs because we have a similar way of thinking, but though we seem to have tread the same path -they have taken an divergent avenue that is intriguing and incomprehensible.

Poki

MBTI Type
STP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I have always enjoyed INFPs. They do have a different set of functions, but I am not a person who can only see my point of view and my own way of operating. I enjoy the differences, I enjoy that they are good at things I am not. I enjoy the quirkiness, the emotional aspect, the company. I am a person who pushes people to be themselves, not to be or think like me. Its like 2 people walking and helping each other towards a common goal. We usually have different goals,so we kinda take turns with each others goals.

Dmarie

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Non
I'm an infp with an istp husband for 10 years, 4 dating before then. The chemistry has always been great with us. Learning about each other takes time and work. I suppose it would be easier with complimenting personality types to mine or my husbands but it's been an interesting, frustrating at times, totally worth it ride. The man is my best friend and were both very loyal and level headed, although I do fluctuate emotionally (total understatement right there) but he knows that and he makes me laugh at my own craziness. I would be bored with another type I think. I've always been attracted to the istp type guys, they have the quiet, naughty, witty, intelligent, bad ass attitude that keeps me interested.

Cloudpatrol

Senior(ita) Member
Quality ISTP friend says he finds my actions and thinking strange = more intriguing than most other people he encounters. I get the “You are the only person I’ve ever known who _______” feedback a lot from this type. Chemistry can be TASTY!!

Lots of potential for miscommunication too. Frequently arriving at similar destinations … but by VERY different routes :tongue: I have learnt the best thing is, to be clear & ask lots of questions. The ISTP’s are generally already proficient in this regard.

soremfinger

MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Maybe because you have everything we don't? :newwink:

Luigi

MBTI Type
ISFJ
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I like INFPs because they have something I will never have: Fi
Fi is beautiful, and I love it.
For this reason, I like to make friends with Fi-doms, both ISFPs and INFPs.

[MENTION=28348]soremfinger[/MENTION] Already said this. I didn't see that.

MBTI Type
ISIS
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
I have a theory. I test as ENTj-Te a lot on socionics tests and even on dichotomy or cog funct mbti tests, but I'm an ISTP. I wonder, since INTJs and ENFPs are supposed to get along well if an ISTP which appears ENTJ might be attracted to an INFP for similar reasons, or maybe the INFP for some reason mimics the ISTP's dual type (or I forget the technical term for it) in some way.

Norrsken

self murderer
MBTI Type
ENFJ
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
INFP: Fi-Ne-Si-Te
ISTP: Ti-Se-Ni-Fe

I think sometimes, its the stark differences between two people that can bind them the most deeply.

Forever

Permabanned
MBTI Type
NiFi
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
INFP: Fi-Ne-Si-Te
ISTP: Ti-Se-Ni-Fe

I think sometimes, its the stark differences between two people that can bind them the most deeply.

Or not really

entropie

Permabanned
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
hysteric personalities like themselves.

Paranoids do also, thats why I go with the INTJ profile in the dark to the toilet...

ChocolateMoose123

Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I have a theory. I test as ENTj-Te a lot on socionics tests and even on dichotomy or cog funct mbti tests, but I'm an ISTP. I wonder, since INTJs and ENFPs are supposed to get along well if an ISTP which appears ENTJ might be attracted to an INFP for similar reasons, or maybe the INFP for some reason mimics the ISTP's dual type (or I forget the technical term for it) in some way.
[MENTION=12103]Poki[/MENTION] has said he tests high in Te, too. He explained it better than I could and you could also do a 'type me' thread for lots more info.

I'm more big on Enneagram + MBTI to flesh personality out. I haven't gotten much into Socionics since it works on what I see as a completely different system. Not comparable but related to MBTI.

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
because my favorite people on this site happen to be ISTP well one's ESTP but we'll forgive her for that sin.