User Tag List

123 Last

MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    5w4

Angry Annoying ISFP type Descriptions

I've been typed over and over ISFP, and double checking seems to put me in ISFP, again. I have a huge problem with ISFP descriptions. I mean look at this:

"ISFP's live in a beautiful and loving world, which others may only understand by putting on a pair of colorfully tainted velvet glasses."

Really?

And dont get me started with the PICTURES of tiny skinny women playing with puppies. Its ridiculous.How did all these stereotypes got thought up?

I also hate how they called the SP forum: The SP Arthouse! Is like we are all painting fairies and jumping through the forest in little green dresses and pink wings. OMG.

You would not find me in an Arthouse. I Dont think you would find most ISTP's in an Art house either. So why is it called the SP Arthouse? Isnt the word FREEDOM more relevant to SP's than ART?
    Likes Cygnus, 00c, an hero, Xena, Serendippopotamus liked this post

The Socionics equivalent is ESI ISFj, and it's a bit more accurate in my opinion. There's a couple good descriptions below:

Socionics Types: ESI-ISFj

Socionics - the16types.info - Dreiser, Male portrait, ISFj by Beskova

Socionics - the16types.info - Dreiser, Female portrait, ISFj by Beskova
    Likes TopCatLSD liked this post

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ni

Quote Originally Posted by blue_pen View Post
    I've been typed over and over ISFP, and double checking seems to put me in ISFP, again. I have a huge problem with ISFP descriptions. I mean look at this:

"ISFP's live in a beautiful and loving world, which others may only understand by putting on a pair of colorfully tainted velvet glasses."

Really?

And dont get me started with the PICTURES of tiny skinny women playing with puppies. Its ridiculous.How did all these stereotypes got thought up?

I also hate how they called the SP forum: The SP Arthouse! Is like we are all painting fairies and jumping through the forest in little green dresses and pink wings. OMG.

You would not find me in an Arthouse. I Dont think you would find most ISTP's in an Art house either. So why is it called the SP Arthouse? Isnt the word FREEDOM more relevant to SP's than ART?
    I have a thread or two here on the awfulness of ISFP type descriptions, although I've never been quite sure if it was due to my own mistyping of the ISFP type. So I've taken the perspective of one who is seeking to know if - there is really such thing as ISFP types - or - if the ISFP type is actually two different types - or something along those lines.

So I feel I should agree with you. I would rather feel like my typings were correct and that the ISFP descriptions - and stereotypes - really are THAT terrible.
    "If you try to build something that is idiot-proof, the universe will build a better idiot."

Google "chemtrails" Bush Did 9/11's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENtP
    Enneagram
    3w4 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IxE Ne

The Keirsey temperament sorter dubs SPs "The Artisans." Arthouse is just a cute name for a subforum.

It's important to realize that "Art" is about much more than, say, painting and sculpting. It's more about a certain "flow" that the temperament (in Keirsey's eyes) takes on in their general approach.. such as signified in Sun Tzu's Art of War (which, of course, is not about how to draw pictures of puppies).

Gonna have to agree that lots of specifics in type descriptions are terrible, though. All ISTPs work on trucks, all ESFJs are overbearing mothers? Part of why we're all here is to dispel the myths.
    J. Scott Crothers
    aka "Bush Did 9/11"
    Founder, Truthtology, est. 1952
    Prophet and Channel, God Almighty
    Author, the Holy scripture Elevenetics

"Just as jet fuel cannot melt steel beams, so too cannot the unshakeable pillars of Truthtology ever be shaken, whether by man, nature, or evidence."
    - Elevenetics
    Likes furblug liked this post

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ni

Quote Originally Posted by jscrothers View Post
    The Keirsey temperament sorter dubs SPs "The Artisans." Arthouse is just a cute name for a subforum.

"Art" incorporates much more than, say, painting and sculpting. It's more about a certain "flow" that the temperament (in his eyes) takes on in their general approach.. such as signified in Sun Tzu's Art of War (which, of course, is not about how to draw pictures of puppies).
    The term "artisan" implies much more than art which includes only painting, drawing, sculpting, writing and playing music. The term "artisan" implies that someone is an artist with their hands, as in handicrafts such as clock-making. But that is still too narrow a description to use on all ISFP types, since the term can be loosely applied to such ISFP activities as race-car driving and mountain climbing.
    "If you try to build something that is idiot-proof, the universe will build a better idiot."

Enneagram
    3w4 sx/so

Quote Originally Posted by jscrothers View Post

It's important to realize that "Art" is about much more than, say, painting and sculpting. It's more about a certain "flow" that the temperament (in Keirsey's eyes) takes on in their general approach.. such as signified in Sun Tzu's Art of War (which, of course, is not about how to draw pictures of puppies).

Gonna have to agree that lots of specifics in type descriptions are terrible, though. All ISTPs work on trucks, all ESFJs are overbearing mothers? Part of why we're all here is to dispel the myths.
    My mother is an incredibly overbearing woman. What an ESFJ.

The ISFP I've met are the definition of "chill". Too chill, maybe. One of them literally dropped out of my HS a few weeks ago. I tried to make him come back, but maybe my approach wasn't exactly good.
    He's an incredibly sensitive guy although he isn't exactly fond of showing it and likes to pretend he's more rough than he actually is and the others are the same to different degrees, so I wouldn't expect descriptions of them pertaining to being completely fearless warriors in a battlefield or whatever. Your reaction to the descriptions gave me a good laugh, though. lol
    tumblr
    It's no fun to lose.

well, no part of this rant actually proves that you

1. don't live in a beautiful and lovely world accessible by vibrantly colored lenses
    2. aren't a health-conscious male or female puppy lover
    3. occasionally engage in the painting of sprites or in playing in forests

(they all sound pretty good to me)

Likes ESFJ liked this post

The Dark Lord The Wailing Specter's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sp/so
    Socionics
    ENFP Ne

I agree that the type description is a tad narrow
    Enneagram: 6w7 (phobic) > 2w1 > 9w1
    Alignment: Chaotic Neutral
    Holland Code: AIS
    Date of Birth: March 15, 1996
    Political Stance: Libertarian Liberal (Arizona School/Strong BHL)
    ATHEIST UNITARIAN UNIVERSALIST HUMANIST
    and
    SCIENCE ENTHUSIAST

I say this as a reminder to myself, but this goes for everyone:

You can achieve anything you set your mind to, and you are limited only by how dedicated you are to succeed!

-Magic Qwan

Such a terrible thing indeed, stereotypes in type descriptions have turned a lot of people insane... see the list of members who've been legally marked as insane by the laws of this forum. Such troubled souls tearing apart in their pain
    Rock'n'roll heart, rock'n'roll soul

veteran attention whore Jeffster's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESFP
    Enneagram
    7w6 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

The more any type profile focuses on specific behaviors, the less accurate it's going to be. That's why stuff like Personality Junkie is so awful, because he not only lists a bunch of specific behavior but he says which function is supposedly being used with each one which is even worse.

There's nothing wrong with listing common behaviors you see in ISFP types (or any other type) but the more you stick to the actual preferences that motivate actions, the more accurate your profile is going to be.
    Jeffster Illustrates the Artisan Temperament <---- click here

"I like the sigs with quotes in them from other forum members." -- Oberon

The SP Spazz Youtube Channel
    Likes Ghost liked this post

Quick Reply Quick Reply

• :hi:
  • :bye:
  • :)
  • :hug:
  • :happy2:
  • :smile:
  • :wubbie: