• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[ISFP] Annoying ISFP type Descriptions

blue_pen

MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
5w4
I've been typed over and over ISFP, and double checking seems to put me in ISFP, again. I have a huge problem with ISFP descriptions. I mean look at this:

"ISFP's live in a beautiful and loving world, which others may only understand by putting on a pair of colorfully tainted velvet glasses."

Really?

And dont get me started with the PICTURES of tiny skinny women playing with puppies. Its ridiculous.How did all these stereotypes got thought up?

I also hate how they called the SP forum: The SP Arthouse! Is like we are all painting fairies and jumping through the forest in little green dresses and pink wings. OMG.

You would not find me in an Arthouse. I Dont think you would find most ISTP's in an Art house either. So why is it called the SP Arthouse? Isnt the word FREEDOM more relevant to SP's than ART?

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I've been typed over and over ISFP, and double checking seems to put me in ISFP, again. I have a huge problem with ISFP descriptions. I mean look at this:

"ISFP's live in a beautiful and loving world, which others may only understand by putting on a pair of colorfully tainted velvet glasses."

Really?

And dont get me started with the PICTURES of tiny skinny women playing with puppies. Its ridiculous.How did all these stereotypes got thought up?

I also hate how they called the SP forum: The SP Arthouse! Is like we are all painting fairies and jumping through the forest in little green dresses and pink wings. OMG.

You would not find me in an Arthouse. I Dont think you would find most ISTP's in an Art house either. So why is it called the SP Arthouse? Isnt the word FREEDOM more relevant to SP's than ART?

I have a thread or two here on the awfulness of ISFP type descriptions, although I've never been quite sure if it was due to my own mistyping of the ISFP type. So I've taken the perspective of one who is seeking to know if - there is really such thing as ISFP types - or - if the ISFP type is actually two different types - or something along those lines.

So I feel I should agree with you. I would rather feel like my typings were correct and that the ISFP descriptions - and stereotypes - really are THAT terrible.

Bush

cute lil war dog
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
The Keirsey temperament sorter dubs SPs "The Artisans." Arthouse is just a cute name for a subforum.

It's important to realize that "Art" is about much more than, say, painting and sculpting. It's more about a certain "flow" that the temperament (in Keirsey's eyes) takes on in their general approach.. such as signified in Sun Tzu's Art of War (which, of course, is not about how to draw pictures of puppies).

Gonna have to agree that lots of specifics in type descriptions are terrible, though. All ISTPs work on trucks, all ESFJs are overbearing mothers? Part of why we're all here is to dispel the myths.

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
The Keirsey temperament sorter dubs SPs "The Artisans." Arthouse is just a cute name for a subforum.

"Art" incorporates much more than, say, painting and sculpting. It's more about a certain "flow" that the temperament (in his eyes) takes on in their general approach.. such as signified in Sun Tzu's Art of War (which, of course, is not about how to draw pictures of puppies).

The term "artisan" implies much more than art which includes only painting, drawing, sculpting, writing and playing music. The term "artisan" implies that someone is an artist with their hands, as in handicrafts such as clock-making. But that is still too narrow a description to use on all ISFP types, since the term can be loosely applied to such ISFP activities as race-car driving and mountain climbing.

00c

Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/so

It's important to realize that "Art" is about much more than, say, painting and sculpting. It's more about a certain "flow" that the temperament (in Keirsey's eyes) takes on in their general approach.. such as signified in Sun Tzu's Art of War (which, of course, is not about how to draw pictures of puppies).

Gonna have to agree that lots of specifics in type descriptions are terrible, though. All ISTPs work on trucks, all ESFJs are overbearing mothers? Part of why we're all here is to dispel the myths.

My mother is an incredibly overbearing woman. What an ESFJ.

The ISFP I've met are the definition of "chill". Too chill, maybe. One of them literally dropped out of my HS a few weeks ago. I tried to make him come back, but maybe my approach wasn't exactly good.
He's an incredibly sensitive guy although he isn't exactly fond of showing it and likes to pretend he's more rough than he actually is and the others are the same to different degrees, so I wouldn't expect descriptions of them pertaining to being completely fearless warriors in a battlefield or whatever. Your reaction to the descriptions gave me a good laugh, though. lol

lhodses

well, no part of this rant actually proves that you

1. don't live in a beautiful and lovely world accessible by vibrantly colored lenses
2. aren't a health-conscious male or female puppy lover
3. occasionally engage in the painting of sprites or in playing in forests

(they all sound pretty good to me)

:D

Avocado

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I agree that the type description is a tad narrow

hjgbujhghg

I am
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Such a terrible thing indeed, stereotypes in type descriptions have turned a lot of people insane... see the list of members who've been legally marked as insane by the laws of this forum. Such troubled souls tearing apart in their pain :cry:

Jeffster

veteran attention whore
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx
The more any type profile focuses on specific behaviors, the less accurate it's going to be. That's why stuff like Personality Junkie is so awful, because he not only lists a bunch of specific behavior but he says which function is supposedly being used with each one which is even worse.

There's nothing wrong with listing common behaviors you see in ISFP types (or any other type) but the more you stick to the actual preferences that motivate actions, the more accurate your profile is going to be.

Cosm

MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
9w1

Is this not the Ideal Type? Perhaps the whole world needs Velvet Glasses!

boomslang

friendly and accessible
Enneagram
8w9
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
MBTI ISFPs are some weird fucked up mix of Socionics SEI and ESI with extra artist bullshit thrown it.

Go look at the way ESIs are described in Socionics, seems a bit closer to reality. MBTI ISFPs are probably more likely to be Se subtype ESIs.

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
There isn't enough reality in type descriptions. If you want to know about types, go out and meet some.

great_bay

MBTI Type
intp
Enneagram
You guys didn't notice OP's enneagram. It's 5w4 which makes him different from the usual ISFP's.

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
You guys didn't notice OP's enneagram. It's 5w4 which makes him different from the usual ISFP's.

Which type for this test question?
14. In school, I prefer classes that are taught with an applied, sensible, humanistic approach, with topics that relate directly to my everyday life.

MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
4w5
The descriptions seem to focus on E6 and E9s and say nothing of the more fiery E4, which can be a bundle of contradictions. We want passion, intimacy, artistic expression, beauty, harmony, mutual understanding, and shared experiences. I don't even have the words for it. It is in our being and its all bundled up inside, to be shared with only a few.

Kheledon

MBTI Type
ENFJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
[MENTION=18323]Fun in the Sun[/MENTION]

Agreed. I know an E4 ISFp, and your description is spot on, in my experience.

And ISFp is an SEI in Socionics. It's the ISFj that's an ESI. I think the SEI is the better description of the ISFp I know and love: Socionics Types: SEI-ISFp

Santosha

MBTI Type
HUMR
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx
Well, I always consider that most of the more popular profiles were not written by isfp's. So you have a lot of outsider perspective, and then you've got the gap between what ne or ni perceives se as being, rather than the experience itself. A large gap is bound to be had.

Also, in every SP is a mini NT, and the way that these two temperaments merge and co exist, is fairly complex.

For instance, I've had some amazingly informative discussions regarding se/ni axis, fi-ni looping, etc.. but only in joining predominantly isfp groups.

And isfp groups ARE some of the best groups to be a part of. (Says the biased isfp hah).
Harmonious, relaxed, accepting, nurturing.
Heavy emphasis on not pushing ones persona agenda onto others.

Isfp's who manage to get a really good grasp on tertiary Ni - watch the fack out. Extraordinarily insightful, about themselves and others.

Isfps are mbti's best kept secret. And many seem to like it this way.