• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[ISTP] (ISTP) I can't get along with anyone

pureheart9

MBTI Type
xNFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I recently discovered that I'm an ISTP (or changed into an ISTP from INFP after a long series of traumatic experiences) and it sort of explains a lot. I wasn't really feeling the "keep to yourself" quality of INFPs. I'm very outspoken, although not to the extent of an ENTJ. I've always thought of myself as an intellectual. I am compassionate, but it's more like standing up for people than volunteering for charity or feeling bad for people when they're sad. I'm a vicious protector. Not an ISFJ though, despite the stereotype. Their views are usually pretty opposite from mine. They're more likely to "follow the rules" and support whoever is in charge (ie. a parent yelling at their crying child). This has been my experience, anyway.

All of this is beside the point. I find it extremely difficult to get along with almost anyone, all for different reasons. I'm wondering if any other ISTPs have this problem (or any other types, since I'm not 100% sure of mine)? Here is a list of the types I don't get along with and why.

ESTJ- I see them as immature tyrannical vindictive egotistical control freaks. And I have plenty of examples.
INTP- some of them have very poor social skills, which annoys me at times. I don't like certain types of awkwardness.
ISFJ- most of the ones I've met have been very evangelical, as well as enthusiastic about rules/regulations/traditions.
INFJ- they get offended way too easily. They seem to be the "don't stereotype because everyone is a special snowflake" type.
ESFP- the ones I know are very arrogant and talk down to other types (especially INTJ, INTP, INFJ, and INFP).
ENFP- same as ESFP, but less arrogant and more accommodating. Like they think they're doing a good deed by talking to me.
ESFJ- I just find them annoying. They're always the popular social ones. The ones who form cliques.
INTJ- there's always a power struggle between me and INTJs. Also, they seem to dislike the most genuine and sweetest people.
ESTP- often immature and lacking common sense. Male ESTPs also seem the most likely to be sexist.

I know what you're going to say. It's only 8 types, and that's half. But if you add it up, it's approximately 63% of the population. This could be an issue in life as, although I like to "do my own thing" and ignore the majority's standards, I have a need to be liked and to impress others. Now, here are the types I get along with well.

ISTJ- they're practical, funny, sarcastic, and entertaining. A little materialistic, but that's just how society is.
ENTP- they're always really chill, and a lot of fun to be around.
INFP- so sweet. I <3 them.
ISFP- I don't know many of them, but the ones I do know have some great ideas about society. They don't get on the bandwagon.
ENTJ- most of them are logical, deep, and amazing leaders. Possibly my favorite type.
ISTP- I don't know much about ISTPs, but I'm pretty sure I'm one. I'm sure I get along with my own type.
ENFJ- deep, but chill. Not uptight at all.

These types make up approximately 37% of the population. I wonder if it's like this for every type, or if there are some who get along with basically everyone.

Cygnus

WARNING: If you are offended by stereotypes, there is a good chance that you will hate me after reading this. I will most likely pretend not to care and then sulk in my corner.
An ISTP wouldn't say that.

If you think you're an ex-NFP who disintegrated into an ST due to traumatic experiences, you'd probably turn into STJ, your dual, instead of your conflictor STP.

pureheart9

MBTI Type
xNFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/so

If you think you're an ex-NFP who disintegrated into an ST due to traumatic experiences, you'd probably turn into STJ, your dual, instead of your conflictor STP.

Since any further comment could be interpreted as a derail I will proceed to leave the thread and not return.

I was joking. I know I'm judgmental and I've genuinely stopped caring. However, there is a chance that I'm an ISTJ. I'll have to look into it.

á´…eparted

passages
You've changed your type quite a bit over the short time you've been here so far. I don't buy it personally. Honestly this thread just reads like your making an excuse to complain about people and types you don't like for what appear to be really unfounded reasons.

ENFJ- deep, but chill. Not uptight at all.

Me, not uptight? HA! And pigs are flying overhead delivering jello molds in the shape of martha stuart to starving children in africa.

pureheart9

MBTI Type
xNFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
You've changed your type quite a bit over the short time you've been here so far. I don't buy it personally. Honestly this thread just reads like your making an excuse to complain about people and types you don't like for what appear to be really unfounded reasons.

I've been looking into it. I actually have no idea what I am, but I seem to think most like an SP, and I know I'm an introvert.

á´…eparted

passages
I've been looking into it. I actually have no idea what I am, but I seem to think most like an SP, and I know I'm an introvert.

I wouldn't even pigeon hole yourself into that. If you hang around here long enough it will become apparent to you from interacting with others.

What I can say is that it's abundantly clear you're a 4.

Cygnus

I wouldn't even pigeon hole yourself into that. If you hang around here long enough it will become apparent to you from interacting with others.

Seconded, Keirsey temperaments are the absolute worst thing you could use.

pureheart9

MBTI Type
xNFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/so

Yep, definitely a 4. And there's nothing I'd rather be :)

TheCheeseBurgerKing

MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram

I think she could still be ISTP. Some ISTPs are totally hard, but some will show their soft side once in a while.
Plus youre a girl. I think you are ISTP.

BadOctopus

Suave y Fuerte
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
This is why typology can be a double-edged sword. On the one hand, it can be useful when trying to understand different temperaments. But to borrow a phrase from [MENTION=20829]Hard[/MENTION], if you pigeon-hole all the people around you into types, you're not really seeing them. You can fall into the habit of stereotyping everybody before you even get to know them. Believe me, I've done it in the past.

Passacaglia

Are you in grade/primary school, by any chance?

These types make up approximately 37% of the population. I wonder if it's like this for every type, or if there are some who get along with basically everyone.
I get along with most people. There're a lot of people I don't actively like, but I can usually at least have a conversation with someone without wanting to slap them upside the head.

Usually.

TheCheeseBurgerKing

MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
This is why typology can be a double-edged sword. On the one hand, it can be useful when trying to understand different temperaments. But to borrow a phrase from [MENTION=20829]Hard[/MENTION], if you pigeon-hole all the people around you into types, you're not really seeing them. You can fall into the habit of stereotyping everybody before you even get to know them. Believe me, I've done it in the past.

Yall got it right. I wish that I never ran into typology all the time. It sucks really bad.

Problem is that its addicting. Haha. It becomes pretty scary accurate once you finally get it all right.

I think the worse thing that you can do with it (Ive done this) is forget to think and give someone a negative stereotype in your head with out realizing it when they dont deserve it. Lol. Ive done this. You cant forget to seperate people from their type.

ScareBear

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
ENFP- same as ESFP, but less arrogant and more accommodating. Like they think they're doing a good deed by talking to me.

It would be because I want to get to know you, not because I think I'm doing a good deed... I have other outlets for that like volunteer work.

Poki

MBTI Type
STP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I generally dont care to be around ALOT of people :doh: There are a small handful I do though. I dont generally break it down by type, but I probably could like you. I get along best with STP and NFP. Js are usually to much J for me, the exception would be INFJ. I dont fit some of the standard ISTP stereotypes though when it comes to relationships or interacting with people.

I wouldnt worry, 37% is still a big number when it comes to head count. So you walk in a room of 100 people and get along with 37 of them. Sounds good to me.

pureheart9

MBTI Type
xNFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I generally dont care to be around ALOT of people :doh: There are a small handful I do though. I dont generally break it down by type, but I probably could like you. I get along best with STP and NFP. Js are usually to much J for me, the exception would be INFJ. I dont fit some of the standard ISTP stereotypes though when it comes to relationships or interacting with people.

I wouldnt worry, 37% is still a big number when it comes to head count. So you walk in a room of 100 people and get along with 37 of them. Sounds good to me.

I tend to break it down by type. I can't relate to most people and I'm good at categorizing, so I tend to judge/stereotype. That method is usually pretty accurate. Mine are more specific though, because I can't really group the types I like together (for example, I dislike ESTJs but love ISTJs). It seems really limited and sometimes I feel like I'm antisocial or something. You seem pretty cool. I definitely wouldn't rule out that we're the same type.

laterlazer

good, hot, fresh, fly ~
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp
I think it's bad to categorize people like that and just rule off types that way. Every type has their positives and negatives, the same way every human does. You've basically made assumptions on the few people you've met in reality that had certain types and concluded everyone within that type is that way. It seems you've practically ruled out the types you've come to the conclusion you dislike as being your own type too, so because of your own pre-judgements you may even be over-looking your actual personality type.

Poki

MBTI Type
STP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I tend to break it down by type. I can't relate to most people and I'm good at categorizing, so I tend to judge/stereotype. That method is usually pretty accurate. Mine are more specific though, because I can't really group the types I like together (for example, I dislike ESTJs but love ISTJs). It seems really limited and sometimes I feel like I'm antisocial or something. You seem pretty cool. I definitely wouldn't rule out that we're the same type.

I cant relate to most people, I just listen and accept what they say as them. Once I get to know them I will argue with a person who they are. Not personality wise, but action/thought process, emotional process, etc. I am very big on truth. I dont know you enough to know your type, if thats a picture of you my initial guess would be F.

On a side note, I think we have 2 different sides of our personality. We have our natural personality and our learned personality. Our life will influence our learned personality, but it will always have a twist of our natural personality.

Splash Shin

MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
7w8
Yep, definitely a 4. And there's nothing I'd rather be :)

There's no way you are an ISTP. You seem like an NFP.

I saw somebody mention Keirsey and I want to chime in. If you are going by Keirsey to type yourself, that is a big mistake. I personally type completely differently in Keirsey to my actual type. I'm an ENTJ going by his work.

Showbread

climb on
MBTI Type
ESFJ
Enneagram
3w2
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
I think it's bad to categorize people like that and just rule off types that way. Every type has their positives and negatives, the same way every human does. You've basically made assumptions on the few people you've met in reality that had certain types and concluded everyone within that type is that way. It seems you've practically ruled out the types you've come to the conclusion you dislike as being your own type too, so because of your own pre-judgements you may even be over-looking your actual personality type.

This. I also think getting along with people is a choice. Just because people make you feel something doesn't mean you have to treat them a certain way. It's also important to introspect and figure out why certain people/things trigger emotions. Sometimes it has more to do with personal baggage than it does other people's behavior.