User Tag List

123 Last

literally your mother PocketFullOf's Avatar
    MBTI
    NeTi
    Enneagram
    pot

Default What types are ISTPs most commonly confused with?

Or what types are most similar to ISTPs in your opinion? I have been getting ISTP a lot recently and the more I read the description the more it seems to fit.

I suspect they are confused for NTs quite often.

Taking a concept to it's logical end is rarely logical or relevant to the subject at hand.
    Johari Nohari
    7w6-3w2-1w9 / sCUA|I| / SER SEI
    Neutral Good
    bagfullofclocks | type me if you can

MBTI
    ENTP

Quote Originally Posted by PocketFullOf View Post
    Or what types are most similar to ISTPs in your opinion? I have been getting ISTP a lot recently and the more I read the description the more it seems to fit.

Well, they share the same functions as xNFJs and ESTPs, but I imagine NT is a common mistype, especially if Ni is relatively developed.
    Likes PocketFullOf liked this post

Sheep pill, broster asynartetic's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by PocketFullOf View Post

ISTPs are often said to be the most "NT like" of the sensate types (as ISFPs are probably the most "NF like").

Are you content enough theorizing and building systems in your head, or do you prefer hands on experience? The ISTP will be more likely to want to actively participate in the design, building, and/or testing of systems, as simply thinking about it will eventually become tiring and they will generally lose interest if not somehow actively participating. This is probably where the mistypings come from. However, INTPs (and especially ENTPs with their dominant Ne) can sometimes prefer hands on experience and themselves often mistype as ISTP.

Ti is a function which, generally speaking, works well when its user is allowed hands-on, concrete experience with any system or object to fully understand its values and attributes, although this will be more evident in the STPs than in the NTPs, because NTPs' Ne will always be a function which more easily leads its users back into their head as it spawns infinite new possibilities and scenarios. Perhaps well-developed or oft-used Ni can lead ISTPs to appear more NT-like, as @Opal pointed out.
    Likes PocketFullOf liked this post

I would add INFJ, although a less common mistyping.

MBTI
    INFJ

I've seen a few times where someone was tossing up between ISTP and INTJ for someone.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx

IxTx's, but I've personally never met an ISTP that's resembled an F-anything.

Quote Originally Posted by Qlip View Post
    IxTx's, but I've personally never met an ISTP that's resembled an F-anything.
    what if it were an INFJ with counterphobic tendencies?

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Starcrash View Post
    what if it were an INFJ with counterphobic tendencies?
    I'm just it's just my personal experience, but I register ISTPs by how impenetrable and disaffected to me, it has ended up that their depths are just in places where I am shallow and vice versa, I don't get this from INFJs. I imagine a counterphobic ISTP would feel more aggressive while an INFJ would feel testing. Note, I'm just saying 'imagine' a lot.

MBTI
    STP

I dont think I have ever been confused with NT. I dont think I know anyone that would not type me as ISTP
    Im out, its been fun

Quote Originally Posted by Starcrash View Post
    ISTPs are often said to be the most "NT like" of the sensate types (as ISFPs are probably the most "NF like").
    I see this sort of statement all over the place. I kind of resent it, because it somehow infers that being intuitive is something to aspire to. We could equally say, for example, that INFJs are the most 'SP' like.

The MBTI has its uses, but having (loosely) worked with people of various types now (within a typology capacity), I really do fucking *despise* this 'intuitive elitism' bullshit which permeates every community pertaining to the subject. I have actually spoken to sensors who told me that they wish they could be intuitive. WHY?

As an INFJ, I feel blessed to have dominant Ni; my world view is, frankly, awesome. I love it. You know what, though? I wish my Ti was much better, because I can be illogical and incredi-derp at times. I wish I could exist within the moment more, be present in the here and now and experience the physical to the full. In other words, I'm (allegedly) 'OMFG THE RAREST - SO SPESHUL' and I am absolutely an SP wannabe. You guys rock, and I absolutely respect / admire the shit out of you.

I have no idea where this rant came from, and now I'm angry at everything.

Peace <3
    Likes asynartetic liked this post