User Tag List

MBTI
    INTP

Default Fi Abstract Values?

Hello SFPs! I have a question about Fi in your types. Do you see Fi as abstract, universal values? Or does your Se shape your Fi to make your values more concrete? For example, how would you compare your values to INFPs or ENFPs who have Ne instead?

veteran attention whore Jeffster's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESFP
    Enneagram
    7w6 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Um........I dunno.
    Jeffster Illustrates the Artisan Temperament <---- click here

"I like the sigs with quotes in them from other forum members." -- Oberon

The SP Spazz Youtube Channel
    Likes doppelganger, Chanaynay liked this post

an abyss of Nothingness Arctic Hysteria's Avatar
    MBTI
    IxFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx
    Socionics
    EII Fi

I'm Fi Ne so, pheww
    I saw "Fi" so I jumped in.
    Ehem, back to your question, er, I don't know

| | | If it is god who makes man, this is the devil finishing touches | | |
    Likes doppelganger liked this post

Bunnies & Rainbow Socks Kayness's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    9w1 sp/sx
    Socionics
    SEI

well it's not like I know what it's like to be a Ne user, but sometimes I get Fi-sad/melancholic triggered by sensory stimuli, like for example I'd eat at a restaurant and if the food is awful, I get sad. Not because the food is bad, mind you, but because well, if the food is bad then they can't possibly have a lot of returning customers, and they probably don't do very well and maybe the owners are struggling. I feel sad because the bad food would invoke the financial struggles of the people who run this restaurant... So yeah, you follow what I'm saying? Of course the more "sensible" and "pragmatic" response most people have would be, "well they should make better food!"

I'm not sure if I'm making myself clear.
    9w1 4w5 5w4 sp/sx RCUAI
    art blog
    Twitter

"I set about seeking a style in the realm of legend. Something that might allow me to give free rein to my juvenile sense of romanticism and the beautiful image"
    - Leni Riefenstahl
    [/CENTER]
    Likes doppelganger liked this post

MBTI
    InFP
    Enneagram
    9w1 sp/sx

I can't speak for other ISFPs, but my experience is:
    I do philosophize quite a bit, and I think about right and wrong, good and evil, and the question of what's meaningful and essential in an abstract & universal way, but I think this is Fi and Ni working together, not Fi alone.

Sometimes I actually push my idealism and the universal values I've built to the back of my mind and just act in accordance with what works. I have a significant streak of moral pragmatism in me. When I'm in concrete FiSe mode, I'm more likely to think about specific situations, often related to the here-and-now. It's less "what is universally right/good/true, and how can I apply these values all the time" and more "how can I maximize my own and others' well-being in this situation"/"what's the right/best thing to do in this situation" in accordance with which way my inner compass is pointing at that moment. The one very simple universal rule that guides my choices (not counting when I'm being selfish and impulsive) is that people's lives should be treated as precious (even if life isn't meaningful or precious in absolute terms) and I should try to enrich others' lives, or at least avoid doing anything that makes their lives suck more, basically.
    Likes doppelganger, MDP2525, countrygirl liked this post

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by Saoirse View Post
    I can't speak for other ISFPs, but my experience is:
    I do philosophize quite a bit, and I think about right and wrong, good and evil, and the question of what's meaningful and essential in an abstract & universal way, but I think this is Fi and Ni working together, not Fi alone.

Sometimes I actually push my idealism and the universal values I've built to the back of my mind and just act in accordance with what works. I have a significant streak of moral pragmatism in me. When I'm in concrete FiSe mode, I'm more likely to think about specific situations, often related to the here-and-now. It's less "what is universally right/good/true, and how can I apply these values all the time" and more "how can I maximize my own and others' well-being in this situation"/"what's the right/best thing to do in this situation" in accordance with which way my inner compass is pointing at that moment. The one very simple universal rule that guides my choices (not counting when I'm being selfish and impulsive) is that people's lives should be treated as precious (even if life isn't meaningful or precious in absolute terms) and I should try to enrich others' lives, or at least avoid doing anything that makes their lives suck more, basically.
    Interesting. So you think of Ni as being abstract and Se as being concrete. When you are in Fi-Se mode and are concerned with a particular situation do you actually take cues from Se to help your Fi make decisions? How does this work--can you give an example? And I'm particularly interested in Se working in ways that it doesn't for ppl who aren't ISFPs or Se-doms or auxs. And likewise, when you are in Fi-Ni mode how do you use Ni together with Fi? An example, again, would be helpful.

MBTI
    ISFJ
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    ESI Fi

Sometimes Se is used to assert a certain value,but usually it's separate from Fi. My Fi is seen in the way I treat and react to people. My Se shows my ability to pick a course of action and make it happen, a will. Sure when I draw I'm engaging feeling and sensing, but I don't do this all the time. Ne, I imagine would be more indecisive in everyday matters and not as interested in practical pursuits.

MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by doppelganger View Post
    Interesting. So you think of Ni as being abstract and Se as being concrete.
    Yes, absolutely, OF COURSE.
    ( I don't mean that as antagonistic )

When you are in Fi-Se mode and are concerned with a particular situation do you actually take cues from Se to help your Fi make decisions?
    No - In that Fi immediately sets a hard moral baseline that all other cognition must lay on top of, or build upon.
    Yes- In that contextual physical understanding lends an insight and awareness into a situation that cognition and feeling cannot.

Do you see Fi as abstract, universal values? Or does your Se shape your Fi to make your values more concrete?
    I find Fi to be deeply, problematically, personal.
    Fi is inseparable from my self, Fi often triggers my baseline understanding of something, my analysis of someone or a situation-
    I find that Fi often sets my reaction to something long before I realize or understand my feelings.
    I think that Fi is a basis of ISTPs self-identity, it rules our decision-making fundamental way.

I would say that Se applies the construct of reality onto Fi's idealistic dreaming.